Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭xper

Tony EH wrote: »
    If it's done right, it could be good. But Kenobi spent two decades on Tatooine watching over Luke. It might be difficult to pull a decent film out of that. Not impossible, but hard to imagine a sweeping epic being done, considering the locals thought he was just a crazy old hermit living in the Jundland Wastes, with his time spent writing journals and dealing with Hutts water tax.

Haven't read any comics, but given Disney's penchant for jettisoning canon willy nilly, I wouldn't hang my coat on that.

Protest of the Water Charges - A Star Wars Story

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Star Wars: Lando Calrissian

Lando faces his old gambling ring nemesis in a high stakes game of life and death. While old friends are there to lend a hand, a chance encounter with a mysterious dancer threatens to lead him down the wrong path.

The small 4 or 5 issue run of the Lando comic recently was also excellent. It's mad how they manage to capture these characters voices and personalities in comics with limited dialogue and story but the new Star Wars comics are managing it wonderfully across the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Tony EH wrote: »
    If it's done right, it could be good. But Kenobi spent two decades on Tatooine watching over Luke. It might be difficult to pull a decent film out of that. Not impossible, but hard to imagine a sweeping epic being done, considering the locals thought he was just a crazy old hermit living in the Jundland Wastes, with his time spent writing journals and dealing with Hutts water tax.

Haven't read any comics, but given Disney's penchant for jettisoning canon willy nilly, I wouldn't hang my coat on that.

I think his hints were more meant as playing the part in one of the new films, not necessarily a stand alone obi wan film, that will never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Vertigo100 wrote: »

That's actually very interesting. It seems way too safe to have Rey as Luke's daughter...time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭tigger123

Myrddin wrote: »
    That's actually very interesting. It seems way too safe to have Rey as Luke's daughter...time will tell.

Watched TFA again the other night and I'm convinced Rey is Obi Wan's daughter or granddaughter. I'm pretty sure you can hear Obi Wan's voice say "Rey" at a pivotal point in the movie (... I think it was the flashback scene to her childhood).

It's also (IMO) a slicker way to continue the story, ie, that the entire series is about the Force, and not necessarily just about the Skywalker family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I thought the Jedi were supposed to be semi celibate? In that they were forbidden to make attachments for themselves...like babies? Or are Lucasfilm jettisoning that bit of prequel dreck too?

All this "whose daughter" stuff is kind of tedious now at this stage. It would be nice if she was a complete nobody. Just a drifter within whom the "the Force" had "awakened".

Although, in saying that, I'm still going with a "Luke's kid" on this. That ending on Skellig Mick...it sort of looks like Luke knows her.

Maybe that could be just bad film making. :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,346 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How could she be Obi Wan's daughter? He's clearly been dead longer than she's been alive? Or am I completely getting the wrong end of the stick regarding how much time is supposed to have passed?

That Palpatine's daughter theory makes a lot of sense, & explains a whole lot. It's also in keeping with the twist inherent in SW movies.

tigger123 wrote: »
    Watched TFA again the other night and I'm convinced Rey is Obi Wan's daughter or granddaughter. I'm pretty sure you can hear Obi Wan's voice say "Rey" at a pivotal point in the movie (... I think it was the flashback scene to her childhood).

It's also (IMO) a slicker way to continue the story, ie, that the entire series is about the Force, and not necessarily just about the Skywalker family.

Correct.
    You hear Alec Guiness' Obi Wan say 'Rey?' And when she falls out of the room you hear Ewan Mcgregors Obi Wan say 'these are your first steps'. Echoing what Obi Wan says to Luke in a new hope 'youve taken your first steps into a larger world'.
    So she's either Luke's daughter (most likely given he's never had the Jedi rules of no attachment told to him that we know of) or Obi wans granddaughter given the above. He'd have
    She is not Palpatines daughter. That piece of click bait has been doing the rounds forever. Having a British accent from a man that died around 15 years before she was born and 'a similar fighting style' is total bs. She has her own style owing to the staff she has with her almost constantly & we see her using on Jakku against the two henchmen and against Finn. Looking more likely she's born of the force as Anakin was. She could wel go the same way as him by the end of 8. Who knows.

Ps. We only have 499 days to wait to find out.

• Advertisement

david75 wrote: »
    Ps. We only have 499 days to wait to find out.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

david75 wrote: »
    Correct.
    You hear Alec Guiness' Obi Wan say 'Rey?' And when she falls out of the room you hear Ewan Mcgregors Obi Wan say 'these are your first steps'. Echoing what Obi Wan says to Luke in a new hope 'youve taken your first steps into a larger world'.
    So she's either Luke's daughter (most likely given he's never had the Jedi rules of no attachment told to him that we know of) or Obi wans granddaughter given the above. He'd have
    She is not Palpatines daughter. That piece of click bait has been doing the rounds forever. Having a British accent from a man that died around 15 years before she was born and 'a similar fighting style' is total bs. She has her own style owing to the staff she has with her almost constantly & we see her using on Jakku against the two henchmen and against Finn. Looking more likely she's born of the force as Anakin was. She could wel go the same way as him by the end of 8. Who knows.

Never going to happen but i would absolutely love Rey to flip out kill Kylo Ren (as Adam Driver is pathetic and i can't stand him) and in the process turn dark herself leaving Luke to save the day yet again. One last hurrah for Skywalker who sacrifices himself to take out Rey and Snoke in Ep. 9

THAT would be epic!

I saw TFA in the cinema and fell in love with it. I was hesitant about watching it again as I'd enjoyed it so much the first time, but having watched it again the other night it's probably my favourite instalment so far.

I'd never thought about the possibility of a new twist in the new trilogy though. Wonder where they could be going with it? 499 days ...

Also, something I've never really seen discussed is the sound design in TFA, especially with Kylo Ren's voice/mask, it sounds fantastic, so ominous.

Sorry, don't mean to derail...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

"Rey is Palpatine's granddaughter" is more appealing to me than the former "Rey is the reincarnation of Palpatine" theory. But like most of the theories thus far, that video is arranging the evidence to suit the theory. A lot of the same evidence has been used to support the Rey is Luke's daughter theory. It's a tribute to Abrams's mystery-making skills that so much can be read into so little.

I suspect Rey was originally conceived as Han and Leia's daughter, hence why she looks like Natalie Portman in the concept art. Then after consultation with the Disney top brass, who were likely concerned about the films being weighed down by the existing continuity, Kennedy re-conceived her as a nobody who doesn't know who Luke Skywalker is, making her the perfect avatar for young viewers who haven't seen or can't remember the previous films. This doesn't rule out an "I am your father" twist down the line, but it means if it does happen it's unlikely to be someone who isn't alive and well in the new films as new viewers won't fully understand references to characters who several movies ago.

The orphan hero is a very common archetype. Many of them turn out to be the true heir, cast out until they come of age and can challenge their evil family member/whoever and claim their birthright. Luke would fit this mould. But many really are orphans of no great lineage with no legacy to inherit and are chosen not because of who their father was but because they are the right person. In TFA we have two orphan characters in Rey and Finn. One of them could turn out to be an heir-like archetype, or they may both remain orphans.

I do think we're going to get an inverse or unusual twist with the whole issue. Probably too obvious but possible is Rey being seduced by the dark side (via Luke refusing to train her maybe? Given he failed with Ben and the other students) and kylo gets redeemed as he's already being called to the light?

I'm still thinking Luke is her father but possible her parents were nobody's but kylo killed them and secreted her away on Jakku sensing how powerful she would become and hiding her for when she's ready to become his apprentice. That's why he seemingly does know who she is(and protects her in the vision-if it is her and not her seeing through Luke's POV) when nobody else seems to know her.

Though it can be debated Han recognises her and Leia seems to as well.
    Does Luke at the end though?

Just to add if you look close
    'You are the Han Solo that followed the rebellion....you knew him'
    'Yeah I knew him. I knew Luke'

He looks directly at Rey on 'Luke'. And when he asks her name outside the falcon he repeats it, kinda paternally like he's thinking 'he called her Rey'.
    Could be misdirects though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

david75 wrote:
    I'm still thinking Luke is her father but possible her parents were nobody's but kylo killed them and secreted her away on Jakku sensing how powerful she would become and hiding her for when she's ready to become his apprentice. That's why he seemingly does know who she is(and protects her in the vision-if it is her and not her seeing through Luke's POV) when nobody else seems to know her.

Are Kylo and Rey not around the same age? He can't be more than ten years older than her.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Are Kylo and Rey not around the same age? He can't be more than ten years older than her.

Think hes ten or fifteen years older I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

I think they've left multiple options and scenarios regarding Rey's parentage. I suspect the makers of TFA don't even know themselves, but left enough loose threads that the next movie director can choose from in much the same way Empire was free to go following Star Wars.

• Advertisement

Wedwood wrote: »
    I think they've left multiple options and scenarios regarding Rey's parentage. I suspect the makers of TFA don't even know themselves, but left enough loose threads that the next movie director can choose from in much the same way Empire was free to go following Star Wars.

As far as I know the entire big hits of the story for the trilogy was locked down before they started filming.

So ABC & Lucasfilm are in talks for a live action Star Wars series. Could those Star Wars underworld scripts be used at last?
    http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2016/08/report-lucasfilm-abc-in-talks-to.html?m=1

Maybe that vast faction of the fan base who are obsessed with the EU that's been discarded will be pleased and they'll tell some of those stories? Lot of those books would work really well as series. And you could have several storylines running parallel.

So post prouduction has started on 8. Rian Johnson posted this pic on his Instagram. We could well see a trailer by Christmas. Would they put it before rogue one I wonder?
    https://instagram.com/p/BJJwbbLB7Uw/

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Just one thing regarding prequel ideas being distanced - Sith eyes !

Lucas decided in the prequels that everyone on the Dark Side got the yellow eyes the Emperor first displayed in Return of the Jedi. Anakin got then 5 minutes after he joined the Sith right after he killed the younglings.

Yet Kylo Ren doesn't. Another ditched prequel idea, or will his eyes by yellow in episode 8 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Hopefully.

Yet another bad idea in a very, very long list of bad ideas from those awful films.

I do genuinely think that Disney is trying, very much, to pretend that the prequels don't exist. In fact, they seem to be going about setting up their own prequel building with 'Rogue One', 'Han Solo', 'Boba Fett', etc.

They may make a couple of nods to major events of the past, but I reckon we won't be seeing any crap to do with medichorians, virgin births, younglings (:rolleyes:), Gungans or anything else from the million and one heartbreaking ideas that nobody challenged Lucas on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Surely we must be due a trailer soon.

I suppose we could get one with Rogue One, but I'm hoping for a Thanksgiving Trailer...

bilston wrote: »
    Surely we must be due a trailer soon.

I suppose we could get one with Rogue One, but I'm hoping for a Thanksgiving Trailer...

You won't see a trailer for 8 until Star Wars celebration in Orlando.. April next year. They aren't crossing the beams. There'll be no confusing rogue one with the main saga. You might see the title arrive before celebration but no trailer.

It's a bit of a corny title but then again

A copyright filing may have leaked the title for Star Wars: Episode VIII
    http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news/A-copyright-filing-may-have-leaked-the-title-for-Star-Wars-Episode-VIII/388366.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Superbowl might see something regarding Episode 8 a teaser perhaps and then trailer in April.

• Advertisement

When is the Super Bowl?

Advertisement