Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Patww79 wrote: »
    First weekend of Feb.

Cool thanks. Yeah I deffo think they'll drop a small teaser at that.
    Will we have a title by then though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

RIP Carrie Fisher...
    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38446753

I can't believe she's dead..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 john0272

RIP Carrie Fisher...

I saw that on reddit: https://i.redd.it/i7uxlayti56y.jpg
    Hopefully 2017 will be better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,155 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP Carrie Fisher...

RIP

I believe she already filmed her part in this film

• Advertisement

It's the Tarkin thing but on a much much bigger scale of damned if they do damned if they don't. They're gonna meet furious reaction if they recreate her digitally or if they bring her story to an off screen ending.
    Personally I think it would be wrong to recreate her onscreen though it would tie in with her views and jokes of Lucasfilm owning her image but I think it would go down like a lead balloon if they do it.

I'm pretty sure she was to make it into 9. Trevorow said he wanted to expand Luke and Leias roles and take them to new places(im paraphrasing)

So I wonder how all this will affect 9s story which I think Johnson has already written?

Feels **** and selfish even talking like this when she's just died

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Not Propaganda

RIP Carrie :( What a force of nature she was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Sad news to hear that Carrie's mum, Debbie Reynolds, has died too.

What a bloody year. :(

Devastating for that poor family.

Getting in front of this now, there were pick ups planned for 8 early new year. Wonder if they'll rewrite and reshoot to amend the story?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

david75 wrote: »
    Devastating for that poor family.

Getting in front of this now, there were pick ups planned for 8 early new year. Wonder if they'll rewrite and reshoot to amend the story?

To kill Leia off? It depends whether there’s a natural point in the story in which Leia could die while keeping most of Fisher’s original performance intact. But it will probably come down to Johnson’s willingness to lose parts of Fisher’s final performance versus Trevorrow’s willingness to CGI her or her death in the third film. I suspect Johnson won’t want to mess with it while Trevorrow will probably jump at the opportunity to write a bit of drama and last act motivation into the third film, even if means CGI Leia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

You could possible see Leia's Episode 9 parts re written for another character. Maybe Lieutenant Connix.

The initial rumour before all this happened was that Leia is injured and incapacitated early in 8 and it leads to a power struggle and fracturing within the resistance.
    Treverow did say he wanted to expand Luke and Leias role in 8 although he's not writing Johnson is. I'm thinking we're gonna see her meet an end in 8.

We've all this sadness of losing her to go through again when the marketing for 8 begins. It won't turn people off seeing the film but they'll have to tread carefully not to be seen to take advantage of it but also find either a way to give her a suitable ending to honour the character. Just can't see them doing the CG thing to take her into 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

If Disney do re-writes on VIII to have Leia die... like disney.. disney of Star Wars experiences such as..
    Rebels season 2 finale Ahsoka vs Vader and Episode VII Solo dying AND ROGUE ONE!!!
    ... oh jeez... they might just break me.:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I forgot about the Leia being injured rumour. I guess that would provide a good opportunity to write her out. But if it happens early in the film it might mean writing her out almost entirely. I don’t think Johnson will go for that. But if she’s not in the film that much anyway...

After the marketing nightmare caused by the Rogue One reshoots I don’t think Disney will be encouraging unnecessary restructuring of 8, and Trevorrow/Connolly must have close to a first draft by now if they plan to start shooting next year. If 8 is looking good otherwise, going CGI Leia for 9 might be simpler. Decision made, and Trevorrow can get on with writing it, rather than waiting around for 6 months waiting for Johnson and Disney to decide which version of Episode 8 to release.

I thought Johnson was writing both 8 and 9? is he not?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

IF Leia was intended to move onto Episode IX, and IF there is no appropriate way to write her out, I would hate to see a CG Fisher. I genuinely felt those CG performances in R1 were appalling - the uncanny valley made those scenes much more distracting than a recast would have done, but also I just don't like the idea of resurrecting an actor for a performance that isn't theirs. I just believe there's a certain basic respect to allow a performer's work speak for itself, and don't think it's appropriate to artificially add to that legacy. Something about the idea that a performance can be 'generated' doesn't sit right.

It's a tragic situation, and one unlikely to have any outcome that doesn't frustrate somebody. But, as far as we know, this isn't a case of putting a few finishing touches on a late actor's unfinished performance (IMO the acceptable threshold for some CG or editing trickery), and if a substantial role for Leia is essential for Episode IX to work as intended I'd honestly rather see a new actor drafted in rather than some CG artists and a rendering farm working overtime. Fisher's Leia will always be iconic and irreplaceable, but if the narrative dictates the character's presence than I'd rather see a separate but fully human performance than a CG-enhanced facsimile. Neither is ideal, of course, but the former would be far preferable if necessary.

I'd agree. They wouldn't recast her. I say they'd write her out before replacing her with either CGI or recasting.

david75 wrote: »
    I thought Johnson was writing both 8 and 9? is he not?

He’s writing 8, but 9 is being written by Trevorrow and his writing partner Derek Connolly. When Johnson was initially hired it was reported that he would be providing a “treatment" for 9, but whether he ever actually wrote one or will be credited for it remains to be seen. He probably just met with Trevorrow like Abrams did with him to outline whatever ideas he had.

That's worrying on all fronts. Jurassic world was a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭xper

Interesting NYT article on the Rogue One filmmakers thinking about using CGI characters, recasting or using old footage in Rogue One:
    Mr. Knoll (John Knoll, chief creative officer at Industrial Light & Magic) said he and his colleagues were aware of the “slippery slope argument,” that their simulated Cushing was opening the door to more and more movies using digital reproductions of dead actors.

“I don’t imagine that happening,” Mr. Knoll said. “This was done for very solid and defendable story reasons. This is a character that is very important to telling this kind of story.”

He added: “It is extremely labor-intensive and expensive to do. I don’t imagine anybody engaging in this kind of thing in a casual manner.”
    Interestingly, while the article was published after and refers to Carrie Fisher's death, it would seem clear that the film makers were interviewed before that tragic event. But given their attitude, I would expect them to be leaning towards doing a Tarkin, using a stand-in actor with motion capture performance if Fisher's family is okay with it.

• Advertisement

Well they can use her image whether her daily like it or not. You sign your likeness away in perpetuity when you sign on to make these films.

Still don't think hey will though in any major sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,583 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

They considered having Tarkin appear on-screen only via hologram to help mask the CGI, could be a good solution in Ep IX if Leah is essential to the story but doesn't necessarily need to be in the same space as the other characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

PWSER6PdBlFpg1MORfuaQpeCbDN9abXaM527k-IgC-g.jpg?w=1024&

Damn, image won't display here. See attached (sniff sniff)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

py2006 wrote: »
    Damn, image won't display here. See attached (sniff sniff)

put IMG tags around the boards.ie attachment link ..
    405047.jpg

They're just the robes they have them wear to protect from drones getting snaps of the cast and costumes. Deffo not film costumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Slydice wrote: »
    put IMG tags around the boards.ie attachment link ..

I did that as usual but for some reason it didn't display.

Just brilliant. If you love Carrie or star wars give it a watch :) hilarious :)https://youtu.be/PGEMwtj68FQ

What if the little birds that are on Aach to attacking Rey to pass a test(according to making star wars) Are the same little owl birds ahsoka sees and are around bendu as well?

See this?
    from Rian Johnson

Remember that Star Wars: The Force Awakens cliffhanger with new heroine Rey (Daisy Ridley) bringing Jedi master Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) his old lightsaber on a remote intergalactic island? Writer/director Rian Johnson is picking up right where they left off in the beginning of the Star Wars saga’s still-untitled next chapter. “I don’t want to skip ahead two years,” Johnson says. “I want to see the very next moment of what happens.” How Rey and Luke relate to each other is the key relationship in Episode VIII, and Johnson says “a large part of the movie” will be spent addressing why Luke’s there and what he’ll do next. Like Luke, Rey has been pulled into a bigger world by connecting with the Force, “but part of what’s she’s dealing with is the realization that she has this power and this gift,” Johnson adds. “She’s taking her first step to coming to terms with this thing inside her that she never knew was there and is just starting to reveal its potential.”

Recently, rumors that much of the movie would be spent on Ahch-To came into prominence, mostly due to the Episode VIII coverage found over at Making Star Wars. Now, it looks like there’s some solid evidence to suggest that a good portion of the Luke-Rey section of the movie will indeed take place on the planet… Which, of course, naturally raises questions about what the other characters will be up to.

Also worth noting is that the article mentions that how Luke and Rey relate to one another is an important aspect to the movie. Maz Kanata previously implied that Luke had a role in Rey’s past, and Daisy Ridley said that she felt that The Force Awakens made it obvious who her parents were. Are we headed for another Skywalker familial reveal in the Sequel Trilogy, or is it simply that Luke sees Rey as a kindred spirit in their presumed teacher-and-student relationship? We’ve only got about a week and eleven months to go until we find out!

Thanks again to The Cantina patron Magnar The Great for the great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

16179286_1396363327081931_4865542756756011519_o.jpg?oh=a02fe578f52d5db7b2fce15e09e83b28&oe=591090E4

Advertisement