Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Tony EH wrote: »
    Shame. They cut out a comic scene that actually worked.

Ya see i know what your saying but tbh i didnt really laugh when luke chucked his "Laser sword" i got it!

This was a troubled guy who was rejecting all things jedi because he failed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

david75 wrote: »
    And the republics entire fleet too. It’s pretty easy to take over once you’ve taken out the government and all its fleet.

An entire galaxy.

That's bloody ridiculous.

Ya see i know what your saying but tbh i didnt really laugh when luke chucked his "Laser sword" i got it!

This was a troubled guy who was rejecting all things jedi because he failed

You might not have laughed. But the scene was shot for laughs. It just falls flat like the other attempts at comedy in the film. They fall flat because they were unnecessary, awkward and just unfunny.

There were so many other ways to show that Luke had "failed" and was a broken man.

Comedy wasn't one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They blow up a few planets and then magically rule the galaxy the next day.

That's not "threatening". That's just stupid.

I can't buy that.

That was one of the most utterly absurd things in TFA for me - the political situation was as clear as an oak door and they fail to really clarify anything at any point.

Could've been solved with literally a few additional lines of dialogue from any one of a handful of characters on either side which is what grates the most.

Not calling for Phantom Menace levels of intergalactic politics, just a single minute taken to clarify the political status quo and the stakes involved with the firing of Starkiller Base would've helped enormously.

They clearly just didn't give a toss and wanted to get back to the whole 'Empire v. Rebellion' trope ASAP.....and figured 90% of the audience wouldn't really care so why should they.

I like both movies but it's so frustrating when they're so deeply flawed by such incredibly minor issues that could've been addressed without changing the structure/tone/narrative of either film at all.

Unlike the prequels which were fundamentally flawed on every level....which is why I'm so irked at the simpler, avoidable failings in TFA and TLJ because they're actually a lot less forgivable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Oh man! WHY didnt they leave the caretaker scene in!!

Look forward to getting a copy with that spliced in
    Shame. They cut out a comic scene that actually worked.

That doesn't show the scene(s) in full. Rey thinks that the caretakers are being attacked by pirates because Luke tells her as much. She's annoyed at him for lying like that. The scene was cut according to the story group because it made Luke look too much of a d!ckhead.

• Advertisement

That was one of the most utterly absurd things in TFA for me - the political situation was as clear as an oak door and they fail to really clarify anything at any point.

Could've been solved with literally a few additional lines of dialogue from any one of a handful of characters on either side which is what grates the most.

Not calling for Phantom Menace levels of intergalactic politics, just a single minute taken to clarify the political status quo and the stakes involved with the firing of Starkiller Base would've helped enormously.

They clearly just didn't give a toss and wanted to get back to the whole 'Empire v. Rebellion' trope ASAP.....and figured 90% of the audience wouldn't really care so why should they.

I like both movies but it's so frustrating when they're so deeply flawed by such incredibly minor issues that could've been addressed without changing the structure/tone/narrative of either film at all.

Unlike the prequels which were fundamentally flawed on every level....which is why I'm so irked at the simpler, avoidable failings in TFA and TLJ because they're actually a lot less forgivable.

Yeh, it the little details that help with the world building that Star Wars was always famous for and it's really important for the buy in for something like this. I don't think Disney gets it though. Nor, like you, do I think they really care either.

Not only that, but some of the details they do choose to put into these films come off as dumb. That whole kidnapping kids to fill the Stormtrooper ranks. I'd love to know which idiot came up with that nonsense.

The only way that I can reconcile the political situation in these sequels is that the barney between the First Order and the "Resistance" is fairly localised. The FO may have knocked the NR on its arse and the rest of the galaxy don't know about it yet or give a crap and are waiting to see how their scrap plays out before bending the knee to whomever is left. After all, both films cover a time period of what, a few days?

Be nice to get some exposition though.

That doesn't show the scene(s) in full. Rey thinks that the caretakers are being attacked by pirates because Luke tells her as much. She's annoyed at him for lying like that. The scene was cut according to the story group because it made Luke look too much of a d!ckhead.

Yeh, I heard the reason for her barging in on the party was that and yes, it would have made Jake look like an evern bigger dickhead than he was.

Taken out of context the scene is funny, especially the WTF mouths agape on the fish people. But, I probably would have disliked it if is was in the final film, truth be told.

Still, there's something about those fish nuns that I find charming. Maybe it's just because they're real costumes and not some poor CGI dreck. Plus, they're actual aliens, in a sequel trilogy that is sorely bereft of them.

So does anyone actually know the digital release date?

Was hoping to watch it this week

Ughhh looks like its not for another month : (

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

It’s today for digital home release I think? It’s all over my feeds.

Blu ray etc etc at the end of the month.

On giving us some better idea of the lay of the land politically it is unforgivable I’m definitely on board with that, and it could have been such an easy fix, but as all this does seem to be boiling down to Rey v Kylo now that Snoke and Luke are out of play, it might work to it’s favour in the end. Gives that story more room and time in 9. Also leaves it to be explained in the various books and comics, like it or not that’s where they seem to go with the extra world building. It’s Annoying but here we are.

• Advertisement

Yep it’s today. Looks like all the bonus stuff comes with it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Relikk

It’s today for digital home release I think? It’s all over my feeds.

Blu ray etc etc at the end of the month.

Yep. Digital today, Blu-Ray in two weeks from today.

EDIT: -.- didn't see there was another page of posts.

Its today in the US but April 9th for UK and Europe so i read!

Would love it to not be : (

That’s mad. Just looked at iTunes and right enough it says April 9th. I don’t get that. Staggered releases by territory makes zero sense and only loses money.
    It’s out there to stream to download on those other sorts of sites anyways if that’s your only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

You might not have laughed. But the scene was shot for laughs. It just falls flat like the other attempts at comedy in the film. They fall flat because they were unnecessary, awkward and just unfunny.

There were so many other ways to show that Luke had "failed" and was a broken man.

Comedy wasn't one of them.

I didnt laugh at this, I was shocked (and appalled).

As soon as Johnson was announced as directing 9 he was targeted by Russian bots on twitter to keep Hux. I wonder if that affected his decisions for the character?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/rian-johnson-russian-bots-targeted-star-wars-the-last-1823729579

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

lol idiots... The piracy of it will just be through the roof, what are they thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Watched only 30-40 mins before i lost interest. So glad i didn't pay to see it.
    Safe to say that my involvement with Disney's Star Wars is finished. Such potential but hey, they're laughing all the way to the bank.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Interesting extra announced by Johnson, needs to be accessed through some silly app as per thread (hopefully not region locked) but always interesting to see experiments like this as bonus features.

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/973667151956594688?s=21

That’ll make some of the harsher critics happy, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

You took time to post that? Seriously?

From the man who lives on the thread.....
    😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

I thought that deleted scene was embarrassingly handled. I thought Phasma got a raw deal in the film but if this was kept in I'd have had my head in my hands.

Have to agree, at least Rian Johnson left some sh*t out if the final cut.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

nix wrote: »
    lol idiots... The piracy of it will just be through the roof, what are they thinking?

I was going to buy it today, but I will pirate it tomorrow. Pretty sure it wasnt worth the money anyway.

irishthump wrote: »
    From the man who lives on the thread.....
    😂

And you haven’t posted in two months. Mad that.well jel

nix wrote: »

The people who want to buy it will do so anyway.

If anyone is going to pirate it, there's been a copy floating around since the beginning of the week, so people who pirate on a regular basis will already have it.

I don't believe many sales are lost though piracy anyway, regardless of what the MPAA and movie companies will tell you.

Still though, a two week gap between US and UK releases? That's just crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Relikk

I don't believe many sales are lost though piracy anyway, regardless of what the MPAA and movie companies will tell you.

I'll admit, I should have a wooden leg, an eye-patch and a parrot on my shoulder 24/7. But yeah, you're dead right. If something is good and I like it, I'll buy it.

If anyone is going to pirate it, there's been a copy floating around since the beginning of the week, so people who pirate on a regular basis will already have it.

Still though, a two week gap between US and UK releases? That's just crazy.

Tony, I saw the first of the fan edits out there last night. They seem to have added some or all the deleted scenes though given the size of it. Hope the caretakers one is in there. And Luke mourning Han.
    I’ve never seen a fan edit. None of them. It might be time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Tony, I saw the first of the fan edits out there last night. They seem to have added some or all the deleted scenes though given the size of it. Hope the caretakers one is in there. And Luke mourning Han.
    I’ve never seen a fan edit. None of them. It might be time.

You can't polish a turd.

You can't polish a turd.

The hurt this film has caused some will run deeper and last longer than anything the Brits ever done to us ;)

If more Luke is added I’ll give it a watch. Other than that probably not.

• Advertisement

You can't polish a turd.

No, but you can spray it with deodorant and make it stink less. :D

Advertisement