Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

david75 wrote: »
    Yeah I wonder was the direction he was taken was in response to Johnson getting **** from those Russian bots on twitter about hux. He seemed kinda freaked out about it in that doco.

Really looking forward to watching that documentary on Blu Ray. I might cave and try find an alternative method.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Really looking forward to watching that documentary on Blu Ray. I might cave and try find an alternative method.

No qualms in saying it’s one of the best making of docos I’ve ever seen.

Collider have a brilliant review here

‘The Director and the Jedi’ Review: One of the Best Making-Of Documentaries Ever Made
    http://collider.com/the-director-and-the-jedi-review-star-wars-rian-johnson/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Haha :)
    He also said the other day he hopes he’s in it ‘episode 9: the last paycheque’ :)

Some really cool concept art in this video!
    446018.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Seen it last night. Felt very disjointed and off. The whole premise doesn't really work, forcing a story for the sake of it....how on earth can you overthrow the Empire and restore law and order to the galaxy, only to end up being part of some resistance who seemingly have no support from anywhere. There's no credible way the Empire could unassumingly rise up once again while going unnoticed. Where is the Republic's army, all tied up on one planet which gets blown up, even though they hop from planet to planet the way we do from town to town. Yet no standing army anywhere else in the galaxy of course? And they don't believe the Resistance that the Empire is rising up once more? Don't even send anyone to check it out?

Even Luke, totally uncharacteristic portrayal. As if Luke would hide away or give up when people are dying? Why did he even have to die at the end? Because Obi Wan did after passing the torch on? Obi Wan was crippled and no match for Anakin, he couldn't win, Luke was still as fit as a flee and could of taken out Kylo Ren in his sleep. But no, to push the story, he's off to die for absolutely no reason.

The whole premise in convoluted nonsense, even for a fictional universe, no way the galaxy would of played out this way after ROTJ. Star Wars is episode 1-6 for me, this is just bad fan fiction. Purely from an entertainment point of view, if the story is to be ignored, it's an OK film. Starts off slow but gets progressively better

Seen it last night. Felt very disjointed and off. The whole premise doesn't really work, forcing a story for the sake of it....how on earth can you overthrow the Empire and restore law and order to the galaxy, only to end being part of some resistance who seemingly have no support from anywhere. There's no credible way the Empire could unassumingly rise up once again while going unnoticed.
    The whole premise in convoluted nonsense, even for a fictional universe, no way the galaxy would of played out this way after ROTJ.

Sounds like you didn’t see the Force Awakens before watching this? It explains all that.

Opening crawl -

‘Luke Skywalker has vanished.
    In his absecence the sinister First Order has risen from the ashes of the Empire,
    And will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed’

Seen it last night. Felt very disjointed and off. The whole premise doesn't really work, forcing a story for the sake of it....how on earth can you overthrow the Empire and restore law and order to the galaxy, only to end up being part of some resistance who seemingly have no support from anywhere. There's no credible way the Empire could unassumingly rise up once again while going unnoticed.

This is almost exactly what happened. The new republic were unaware the first order were growing and building a new armada against them. Leia knee and brought it to their attention and was ran out of the senate as a war monger. So she assembled a small resistance to take the first order on.

Where is the Republic's army, all tied up on one planet which gets blown up, even though they hop from planet to planet the way we do from town to town. Yet no standing army anywhere else in the galaxy of course? And they don't believe the Resistance that the Empire is rising up once more? Don't even send anyone to check it out?

Exactly. Nobody in the new republic would believe a new threat was rising. They had no standin army as they believed the empire and all threats had been defeated.

Even Luke, totally uncharacteristic portrayal. As if Luke would hide away or give up when people are dying? Why did he even have to die at the end? Because Obi Wan did after passing the torch on? Obi Wan was crippled and no match for Anakin, he couldn't win, Luke was still as fit as a flee and could of taken out Kylo Ren in his sleep. But no, to push the story, he's off to die for absolutely no reason.

Luke knows that if he returns it will undo everything. He’s failed with kylo and Rey has risen as a response to kylo. If Luke comes back it will further unbalance everything. He ran off to save han and Leia against yodas advice and look how that turned out. They all ended up in far worse situations cos he did. His own situation especially. He found out Vader was his father. And lost an arm too

The whole premise in convoluted nonsense, even for a fictional universe, no way the galaxy would of played out this way after ROTJ. Star Wars is episode 1-6 for me, this is just bad fan fiction. Purely from an entertainment point of view, if the story is to be ignored, it's an OK film. Starts off slow but gets progressively better

It’s exactly what’s they’ve done with it. It doesn’t fit your head canon or demands (or mine in some cases) but that’s what’s happened. Sadly they only outline this stuff in books alongside the films. This doesn’t help a casual film goer and it’s mad frustrating trying to understand it all when they’d should be giving you all this onscreen not where you have to read a load of books along with the film to get it all. But that’s what they’re doing. Least it’s making kids read I guess. Hope this helped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Haha :)
    He also said the other day he hopes he’s in it ‘episode 9: the last paycheque’ :)

TBH, I'd always presumed a strong likelyhood Luke would appear in Episode IX as a force ghost. In fact it'd be a pretty interesting take on the concept to appear to Kylo, not Rey, be it either as a tormentor or attempting to appeal to his last shreds of decency.

Sounds like you didn’t see the Force Awakens before watching this? It explains all that.

Opening crawl -

‘Luke Skywalker has vanished.
    In his absecence the sinister First Order has risen from the ashes of the Empire,
    And will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed’

I edited my last post. I did see TFA, they try and explain how this all came about, but it holds little credibility imo

pixelburp wrote: »
    TBH, I'd always presumed a strong likelyhood Luke would appear in Episode IX as a force ghost. In fact it'd be a pretty interesting take on the concept to appear to Kylo, not Rey, be it either as a tormentor or attempting to appeal to his last shreds of decency.

JJ said 9 is going to be unexpected..
    I’d say it’s more likely you’ll get Anakin appearing to admonish him for being stupid. And possibly obi wan appearing to Rey. (Headcanon wishful thinking).
    Why would Luke appear to help her when he wouldn’t when she needed him in this one?

chewie, the falcon, R2, 3PO are all we have left from the OT

Chewie and the Falcon are gonna get it and die...final scene, or one of the final scenes will see R2 & 3PO alone and wrapping it up..which would be fitting..

calling it now

• Advertisement

I edited my last post. I did see TFA, they try and explain how this all came about, but it holds little credibility imo

I saw too late I’m sorry. Posted some answers in bold above in reply. It’s no comfort but that’s what’s happened in it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Yeah I wonder was the direction he was taken was in response to Johnson getting **** from those Russian bots on twitter about hux. He seemed kinda freaked out about it in that doco.

What's the story there?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Luke.. well Hamil does what he can and the scene between him and Leia was nice and his showdown with Ren was good enough, but overall the message is very clear - we want rid of the old guard ASAP so we can get on with our new characters to do whatever we want with without the "baggage" of the original films.

I got this impression too from The Last Jedi but I also think it makes no sense.

They are making a trilogy here and I think we won't see further stories with Rey and Finn etc after this trilogy is over. They aren't actually going to do anythign with these new characters after episode 9.

It's such an odd way for them to approach a movie that is part of a long series of movies. In the penultimate episode they suddenly decide that everything that's been done so far needs to be thrown out and we need to go in a completely new direction.

Reminds me of the ending of Lost and the fan reaction to all that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

JJ said 9 is going to be unexpected..

Which in Abramsworld means ... MORE MYSTERY BOXES! I'd be genuinely surprised of Hammill isn't called back, even if it's for the finale, and appearing during a 'you did good kid' moment.

As for more casualties, I don't believe they'll trash the Falcon - that's too valuable from a merchandise POV. Ditto the droids, I think R2D2 is well loved by the younger demographics, no more than BB8.

Chewie though? Hmmm, yeah he's probably most likely to kick the bucket; technically he already did in the (now non-canon) universe, whereas ultimately, was he ever that beloved a character? He has always just ... been there, a slightly awkward & clumsy costume that didn't even have the range of expression allowed by his narrative cousin with "I am Groot".

Which in Abramsworld means ... MORE MYSTERY BOXES! I'd be genuinely surprised of Hammill isn't called back, even if it's for the finale, and appearing during a 'you did good kid' moment.

As for more casualties, I don't believe they'll trash the Falcon - that's too valuable from a merchandise POV. Ditto the droids, I think R2D2 is well loved by the younger demographics, no more than BB8.

Chewie though? Hmmm, yeah he's probably most likely to kick the bucket; technically he already did in the (now non-canon) universe, whereas ultimately, was he ever that beloved a character? He has always just ... been there, a slightly awkward & clumsy costume that didn't even have the range of expression allowed by his narrative cousin with "I am Groot".

Do you think there are going to be stories that take place after Episode 9?

I'm honestly wondering what kind of diminishing returns we would see if we are going into Star Wars episode 10, episode 15, episode 20 with familiar items like the Falcon or R2 or even the Stormtroopers showing up.

I am hoping that they use Episode 9 to tie it all off. They all lived happily every after to the end of their days.

I can't imagine endless sequels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Relikk

I'd be genuinely surprised of Hammill isn't called back, even if it's for the finale, and appearing during a 'you did good kid' moment.

There was the moment with Yoda at the burning tree when Yoda says something like "Lost Ben Solo, you did. Lose Rey, you must not". He should be back in the Obi-Wan force ghost in Empire and Jedi type role, or appearing in Rey's visions. Well, at least I think so. Or it could be discarded like the Knights of Ren, who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Seen it last night. Felt very disjointed and off. The whole premise doesn't really work, forcing a story for the sake of it....how on earth can you overthrow the Empire and restore law and order to the galaxy, only to end up being part of some resistance who seemingly have no support from anywhere. There's no credible way the Empire could unassumingly rise up once again while going unnoticed. Where is the Republic's army, all tied up on one planet which gets blown up, even though they hop from planet to planet the way we do from town to town. Yet no standing army anywhere else in the galaxy of course? And they don't believe the Resistance that the Empire is rising up once more? Don't even send anyone to check it out?

Agree with pretty much all of this. Don't buy the status quo they set up in these films at all. There was a natural progression in the original trilogy where due to the indeterminate amount of time between films you could imagine the rebels numbers growing with successes like the Deathstar to the point they took on the Imperial fleet directly in RotJ .

With TLJ we're at a point where the rebels are down to however many escaped on the Falcon at the end. So unless they plan on leaving the First Order still in control of the galaxy at the end of ep 9 they've left themselves with an unbelievable amount of ground to cover in one film.

Their solution will no doubt be to skip ahead 5-6 years (filling in the blanks in other mediums) and have the rebels suddenly be a force to be reckoned with, which will be rediculously jarring.

In their reluctant defense the most logical route for events to take in the post RotJ era had already been thoroughly explored in the infinitely superior old EU so unless they were going to adapt some of those books and pay royalties they were going to have to go a less sensible/rational route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Relikk wrote: »
    There was the moment with Yoda at the burning tree when Yoda says something like "Lost Ben Solo, you did. Lose Rey, you must not". He should be back in the Obi-Wan force ghost in Empire and Jedi type role, or appearing in Rey's visions. Well, at least I think so. Or it could be discarded like the Knights of Ren, who knows?

It's possible he isnt even dead I guess. He only dissapeared. Maybe he teleported somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

J Mysterio wrote: »
    It's possible he isnt even dead I guess. He only dissapeared. Maybe he teleported somewhere.

Where did his robotic hand go?:pac:

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    What's the story there?

In the making of doco you see Johnson tell the crew that as soon as he was announced as directing 9 he was targeted by loads of twitter accounts, exclusively from Russia. All telling him he better keep Hux alive and give him a bigger role. He even reads one out to them. They all seemed to be bots. I’m not sure how that works or why even organise such a campaign but it happened. God knows why. The Russians like authority figures I guess.

• Advertisement

Where did his robotic hand go?:pac:

Johnson said somewhere they actually did that shot and Had the metal hand just drop to the rock but it was just for laughs and was never going into the film :)

In the making of doco you see Johnson tell the crew that as soon as he was announced as directing 9 he was targeted by loads of twitter accounts, exclusively from Russia. All telling him he better keep Hux alive and give him a bigger role. He even reads one out to them. They all seemed to be bots. I’m not sure how that works or why even organise such a campaign but it happened. God knows why. The Russians like authority figures I guess.

Weird.

Sounds like a 4Chan troll job.

Agree with pretty much all of this. Don't buy the status quo they set up in these films at all. There was a natural progression in the original trilogy where due to the indeterminate amount of time between films you could imagine the rebels numbers growing with successes like the Deathstar to the point they took on the Imperial fleet directly in RotJ .

With TLJ we're at a point where the rebels are down to however many escaped on the Falcon at the end. So unless they plan on leaving the First Order still in control of the galaxy at the end of ep 9 they've left themselves with an unbelivable amount of ground to cover in one film.

Their solution will no doubt be to skip ahead 5-6 years (filling in the blanks in other mediums) and have the rebels suddenly be a force to be reckoned with, which will be rediculously jarring.

In their reluctant defense the most logical route for events to take in the post RotJ era had already been thoroughly explored in the infinitely superior old EU so unless they were going to adapt some of those books and pay royalties they were going to have to go a less sensible/rational route.

Do Disney not own the rights to all licensed stuff in the old EU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,786 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The movies is a mess,
    I really enjoyed a New hope but this just was a total mess, iv no idea where they will go with the next one and I don't think it will be as eagerly anticipated ,
    It was just such an awful mess,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I'm honestly wondering what kind of diminishing returns we would see if we are going into Star Wars episode 10, episode 15, episode 20 with familiar items like the Falcon or R2 or even the Stormtroopers showing up.

I am hoping that they use Episode 9 to tie it all off. They all lived happily every after to the end of their days.

I'm afraid that is entirely the future of Star Wars. In 9 they will look to tie up the Skywalker family legacy, maybe, and personally they have already screwed that up unless they pull something great out of the bag in 9. (And they will go back to the Skywalker story once they realise there is not much more to the Star Wars universe).
    They all lived happily every after to the end of their days.
    This sums the originals up for me, "A long time ago..." etc... they were space fairytails but Luke, Leia etc didn't live happily ever after because they had miserable lives. They same will happen after 9, any victory will be short lived because the cash cow has to be milked. The new actors will want to move on so will have to be killed off in the endless war with the New Empire or whatever they will be calling it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,786 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'm afraid that is entirely the future of Star Wars. In 9 they will look to tie up the Skywalker family legacy, maybe, and personally they have already screwed that up unless they pull something great out of the bag in 9. (And they will go back to the Skywalker story once they realise there is not much more to the Star Wars universe).
    They all lived happily every after to the end of their days.
    This sums the originals up for me, "A long time ago..." etc... they were space fairytails but Luke, Leia etc didn't live happily ever after because they had miserable lives. They same will happen after 9, any victory will be short lived because the cash cow has to be milked. The new actors will want to move on so will have to be killed off in the endless war with the New Empire or whatever they will be calling it then.
    But Star wars is about the Skywalkers , it always has been, to change that and it is no longer Star wars, its just stories from the same Galaxy ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

But Star wars is about the Skywalkers , it always has been, to change that and it is no longer Star wars, its just stories from the same Galaxy ,
    Personally I agree to the extent that I want it wrapped up and have no more Star Wars beyond that, the story should be done.

But from a business perspective Disney will hope there is life beyond the familiar. However when the box office inevitably falls they will go back to the Skywalker well in order to exploit people's nostalgia.

Well we’re getting two new trilogies that are in totally different time periods and totally different parts of the galaxy so I’m guessing no Rebels/Empire but I wouldn’t rule out Jedi and Sith. Could be their origin stories?
    Anyone’s guess right now.

• Advertisement

Star Wars YouTube channel has a series called forces of destiny. Aimed purely at little kids. Only 3 minutes an episode But it does fill in little gaps throughout the story. They’re cute.

New series just started. Luke on dagobah with Yoda. Voiced by Hamill

This one with Leia and Chewie going to Maz to get help to get Han back from Jabba is cool. Explains how Leia gets the bounty hunter outfit she uses In ROTJ

Advertisement