Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Tony EH wrote: »
    This probably means that Luke is brown bread in this one.

I hope not.
    Everything is set up nicely from the force awakens....

Rey will do battle with kylo ren.
    Finn and poe will battle the new order and their troops.
    While it leaves Luke, the seemingly last jedi going up against Snoke, the seemingly last sith lord.

But I do fear they will go down a road mirroring the original trilogy. Luke gets the chop so it leaves rey to become the last jedi and she fights kylo ren and snoke. But kylo ren will probably "turn face" against snoke (ala, darth vader going good in the end)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭brevity

But I do fear they will go down a road mirroring the original trilogy. Luke gets the chop so it leaves rey to become the last jedi and she fights kylo ren and snoke. But kylo ren will probably "turn face" against snoke (ala, darth vader going good in the end)

That would be fairly **** alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Like the title, makes you wonder who the last Jedi actually is. Surely Luke is too obvious.

Also the red colour is interesting and must have meaning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Rian just posted this.
    Exciting
    https://instagram.com/p/BPqBSPZBRoo/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The red logo suggests Kylo is last Jedi...

:-O

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    That would be fairly **** alright.

Well he's old. And the whole purpose of the trilogy was to pass on the torch in multiple ways. He's not getting out alive anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

murpho999 wrote: »
    Like the title, makes you wonder who the last Jedi actually is. Surely Luke is too obvious.

Also the red colour is interesting and must have meaning.

Pointing out the obvious here but clearly the dark side is going to be omnipresent in this movie. The red logo has always been used when there is a big Dark v Light battle

Kylo v Luke is what i'm hoping for, perhaps Kylo will get the better of Luke or Luke will refuse to kill his own nephew and get struck down similar to when Vader killed Obi Wan and Rey will become "the last Jedi".

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Luke won't die in The Last Jedi..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Pointing out the obvious here but clearly the dark side is going to be omnipresent in this movie. The red logo has always been used when there is a big Dark v Light battle

Kylo v Luke is what i'm hoping for, perhaps Kylo will get the better of Luke or Luke will refuse to kill his own nephew and get struck down similar to when Vader killed Obi Wan and Rey will become "the last Jedi".

I feel like we already got this with Han and Kylo in TFA. Luke is either the Yoda of this trilogy or he’s something different.

I like the the idea that maybe Luke is a washed up shadow of his former self and unable to fight and/or train Rey. It would be a good way of keeping Rey in the driving seat.

One of the cooler theories has Luke refusing to train Rey. He wants no part in the resistance struggle or training Rey as she's too powerful. Then Kylo and his minions turn up on the island and there's a battle that forces his hand. This is what they shot up in Donegal apparently. The big showdowns happen in the first 30 minutes / first ad of the film.
    That could be bull as well though but it's a cool theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That's what I think too. 'The Force Awakens' mirrored Star Wars so closely, it was a bloody joke and I don't think Disney - as relatively well as they've handled the franchise so far - are immune to the "it's like poetry, it rhymes" malarkey.

Plus, Luke's arc is really at an end and Disney want to pass the torch completely. The OT characters were really just in 'The Force Awakens' to entice the old fans (like myself) back into the cinemas and help salve the burns from the prequel disasters. But, they really want rid I reckon.

I heard a potential plot leak a while ago regarding a First Order attack on an alliance base where Leia was badly injured and her character dramatically reduced. That'll now turn into her offscreen death, following Fisher's untimely demise, I suppose. This leaves Luke as the last surviving original human member of the central cast that will make an appearance in these new films. So, the axe his hanging over his head and there's no doubt that part of wrapping up the series is to have him killed off. Whether that happens in VIII or IX remains to be seen, but as far as I'm aware, he's not listed for IX. And if this series is to mirror the OT, this middle act of the three act play will be the darkest section, so a death or two is to be expected.

david75 wrote: »
    One of the cooler theories has Luke refusing to train Rey. He wants no part in the resistance struggle or training Rey as she's too powerful. Then Kylo and his minions turn up on the island and there's a battle that forces his hand. This is what they shot up in Donegal apparently. The big showdowns happen in the first 30 minutes / first ad of the film.

I've heard another one. That Kylo eventually convinces Rey that he can train her and she goes for it. Meaning Luke has to battle Kylo and change her path.

Can't see either of these happening though and after she's seen Kylo waste his dad for a laugh, I can't see her suddenly deciding "oh jolly well, go on then".

Mind you, I didn't think the House of Mouse would kill everybody at the end of 'Rogue One', so you never know. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I wanna see Luke thrown down some force powers in this film.
    Be badass but righteous.

Let's not forget that Kathleen keneddy said there may not be any more Star Wars saga /Skywalker films after this. They could just continue with stand alone films or new sagas about new things.

Either way. Luke dying doesn't mean 'they're repeating themselves'. Obi Wan Yoda and Vader all die in the OT. As does the emperor and Jabba and any other bad guys got in the way. Luke doesn't even have to die. He might not. I'd feel robbed if he didn't I think. Let's see.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I wanna see Luke thrown down some force powers in this film.
    Be badass but righteous.

I don't know if you read the location reports from what was filmed up north but it definitely sounds like we'll see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Speaking of Yoda and Obi Wan - I wonder will we ever see them as force ghosts ?

I think not, seems to me as they were huge characters in the prequels we won't see them - its like Disney are trying to de legitmise the prequels ..

I hope Kylo Ren gets slaughtered by someone, I still cannot get past how much Adam Driver's stupid face irritates me! If he turns good and saves the day it will ruin this trilogy for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I hope Kylo Ren gets slaughtered by someone, I still cannot get past how much Adam Driver's stupid face irritates me! If he turns good and saves the day it will ruin this trilogy for me

Very hard to redeem him after Han.

Speaking of Yoda and Obi Wan - I wonder will we ever see them as force ghosts ?

I think not, seems to me as they were huge characters in the prequels we won't see them - its like Disney are trying to de legitmise the prequels ..

Well They're both important to the story and could still be important.
    Frank Oz was seen on set in London. And some sets here and in London were built 5 feet above the ground as they were for the dagobah set so he could do the puppeteering for Yoda So Yoda is likely. Which is great!

Also Anthony breznican reported that we're probably not getting an Obi Wan standalone film for a while cos he still has a role to play in this trilogy. That's just the vibe he's getting from his lucasfilm contacts but it makes sense.
    The current thinking is that he could be Reys grandfather. Which would be awesome. It is him we hear speak to her twice in her force Vision in TFA.
    Hoping she turns out to be Luke's daughter and Obi wans granddaughter via Sabine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

FunLover18 wrote: »

And blasting the Hosnian System to smithereens.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,346 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He's still small fry in terms of atrocities compared to Vader and that didn't stop him flip flopping in the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I could do without another redemption narrative. I am hoping there’s more to Kylo than that.

He's to on easy to redeem. If he's still feeling a call to the light he was only ever a wanna be to begin with.
    The part they'll play on is Snokes influence on him and what that relationship is like/about.

Well They're both important to the story and could still be important.
    Frank Oz was seen on set in London. And some sets here and in London were built 5 feet above the ground as they were for the dagobah set so he could do the puppeteering for Yoda So Yoda is likely. Which is great!

Better him than Anakin I say.
    Also Anthony breznican reported that we're probably not getting an Obi Wan standalone film for a while cos he still has a role to play in this trilogy. That's just the vibe he's getting from his lucasfilm contacts but it makes sense.

See, this type of thing sends my eyeballs rolling. If Ben is to come back as this force ghost rubbish, why would it be the McGreggor version and not the Guinness version that appeared before? It's a terrible idea to have "force ghosts" in the first place, but if they have to be there, then at least have them comsistent.

Or maybe, it's a flashback cameo. But why would that put Disney off from making a standalone Kneobi film?
    The current thinking is that he could be Reys grandfather. Which would be awesome. It is him we hear speak to her twice in her force Vision in TFA.
    Hoping she turns out to be Luke's daughter and Obi wans granddaughter via Sabine

It would be far, far better if she wasn't, in fact, related to anyone.

Abrams saw Kylo as the anti-Luke, or i guess an opportunity to do Anakin right. If we view his killing Han as the extinguishing of that temptation, then by right he should remain evil. But that would mean the most interesting part of his journey is already over. They didn’t cast Driver to put him in a mask for the last two movies.

I like the idea that he is actually a double agent, at least in his own mind, i.e. he sees himself as finishing what Anakin started: destroying the Sith and bringing balance to the Force - by any means necessary, even killing his own father to prove himself to Snoke. It would be an interesting way of getting away from the black and white dualism of the OT and PT.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Better him than Anakin I say.

See, this type of thing sends my eyeballs rolling. If Ben is to come back as this force ghost rubbish, why would it be the McGreggor version and not the Guinness version that appeared before? It's a terrible idea to have "force ghosts" in the first place, but if they have to be there, then at least have them comsistent.

I believe they edited the ROTJ so that Guiness' force ghost was replaced by McGregor?

I agree though, fack force ghosts!

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I believe they edited the ROTJ so that Guiness' force ghost was replaced by McGregor?

They did?

Sorry, I only watch the Harmy despecialized editions. I can't bring myself to sit in front of the bastardised Lucas abuses.

So for me, Ben is still Alec Guinness, Anakin is still Sebastian Shaw and Jabba is still a giant (and brilliant) puppet...

...and Han is the only one that shoots.

Yeah, I remember my brother running our and buying the original trilogy on VHS before the 'speciap editions'/ remasters replaced them.

FunLover18 wrote: »

I Hope you're right BUT Anakain killed his master and friend Obi Wan and also massacred jedi in the jedi temple yet still turned on the emperor in the end.

This is Star Wars we're talking about AND Disney more importantly. Everyone knows Disney is all about the happily ever after :rolleyes: Also as someone else has said the new Galactic Empire are likely to attack the rebel base and now KILL Leia so maybe its the death of his mother that sways him despite the fact he topped his own da!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

People are reading far too much into the title. Jedi can be singular or plural. Who cares either way. It's not like the title is a spoiler.

Makes no sense having force ghosts either. (Shouldn't they really just be called ghosts?). They only served as an exposition device in the OT.

Luke will get the bullet for sure. Some big sacrifice bo doubt. Maybe not in 8 but definitely by 9.

I really hope these movies are the finale to the Skywalker timeline. It's been polluted enough as it is. Skywalker was a hero to many of us older nerds growing up. Seeing him as a failed coward in episode 7 was so disappointing.

We've had 2 creatively poor Star Wars films since Disney took over. It can only get better? :o

Kill Luke in the opening scene of episode 8. Kill Chewie in the next scene. Followed by 3PO and R2D2. Then Disney can do what they want after that! :D

Advertisement