Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Kelly Marie Tran seemed really nice on Instagram and this is a shame to see. Daisy Ridley quit not long after TFA came out and she had a post about gun control. She said that hadn't anything to do with it but I am pretty sure she was sick of the trolls on it commenting, outweighing the positive messages.

Kelly Marie Tran could be relegated to an actor whose career gets ruined by having that one big chance, but it being scuppered by a badly written and badly executed role. While the casting people at Lucasfilm and Rian gave her this great opportunity for her career, it'll be Rian's writing that ruins it if she falls into the acting abyss.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭El Duda

There should be a huge online 'support group' that leap to the defence of people who wrongly get abuse on social media.

The Marie Tran and Leslie Jones stories are disgusting. It's such a shame that the small minority of trolls just so happen to be the loudest.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭DrWu

Watched TLJ again over the weekend. So conflicted. Parts of the movie I loved (the relentless pursuit of the rebel fleet, the battle on crait, all of Kylo Rens scenes) and parts of it were terrible (Luke, the rubber fish, Rey's "training", Canto Bight etc). With a little bit of oversight this could have been the best SW movie of all (the SW franchise's version of Fury Road). I still give it a thumbs up but it is a frustrating movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I dont get it, if you're getting annoyed with the hate comments on insta, then just turn comments off on the **** you post. Therefore you're supplying what the fans love to see and leaving no room for hate.. Seems like a no brainer :confused:

El Duda wrote: »
    There should be a huge online 'support group' that leap to the defence of people who wrongly get abuse on social media.

The Marie Tran and Leslie Jones stories are disgusting. It's such a shame that the small minority of trolls just so happen to be the loudest.

That Leslie Jones meltdown is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on twitter. That should be the prime case study in the manual of how to not react to online heckles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Yeah...some type of social justice...warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I agree but isn't that part of the deal with celebrity and social media?

You're marketing yourself and putting yourself out there, at the end of the day it's only words and if you don't like it or can't accept it for what it is then you shouldn't be on social media IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Instagram has some of the biggest creeps I've ever seen in comments sections. It's a disgrace, but so are nearly all social media platforms.

The reason why Daisy Ridley quit is because she was sick of people criticising her appearance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I agree but isn't that part of the deal with celebrity and social media?

You're marketing yourself and putting yourself out there, at the end of the day it's only words and if you don't like it or can't accept it for what it is then you shouldn't be on social media IMO.

I don't think it's fair to conflate 'actor' with 'celebrity', not every actor - even those jumping into a storied franchise - is seeking out fame or notoriety. And frankly it's reductionist and undermines the nature of bullying to say "it's only words". Bullying or abuse can be verbal just as much as it can be physical, that really shouldn't need saying, and there's no good reason why it should be the norm online either, that someone like Marie Tran expect to be called a 'fat asian b*tch', and all the fun variants of such wit, on a daily basis. It's death by a thousand paper cuts.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair to conflate 'actor' with 'celebrity', not every actor - even those jumping into a storied franchise - is seeking out fame or notoriety.

Then why are they on social media, promoting themselves and their views?

If you put yourself out there you have to accept that many people will not be kind.

As Daisy Ridley accepts - social media is not good for ones mental health. Have you ever seen an episode of the Kardashians? Those stupid cvnts are glued to their phones the entire time, living and dying on social media and the comments/likes etc. they receive.

Stay off social media and don't whinge about it when it backfires, like your one from Ghostbusters last year.

People will always be abusive on the internet when they can hide behind their keyboard - that will never change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Then why are they on social media, promoting themselves and their views?

If you put yourself out there you have to accept that many people will not be kind.

As Daisy Ridley accepts - social media is not good for ones mental health. Have you ever seen an episode of the Kardashians? Those stupid cvnts are glued to their phones the entire time, living and dying on social media and the comments/likes etc. they receive.

Stay off social media and don't whinge about it when it backfires, like your one from Ghostbusters last year.

People will always be abusive on the internet when they can hide behind their keyboard - that will never change.

Again you're conflating celebrity with an actor; why is any of us on Social Media? You presume Marie Tran's accounts were there to 'promote' herself, when maybe it was just some harmless instagram accounts to share life's mundanities and trivial moments (never did visit her account so open to correction). Frankly it's coming off a little on the side of victim blaming here; that because Tran insisted on keeping her accounts open, and had the nerve to take on an acting JOB that was ... contentious to say the least, she only has herself to blame that she got routinely - CONSISTENTLY - attacked and abused online. It's not like she was posting 'Trump 2020' or something (though again, open to correction!)

Nor is this behaviour specific to the world of acting; there are plenty of cases of bullying - especially in schools with teenagers - taking place on social media and staying off the services just isn't particularly helpful or pragmatic in a world that exists online, whether you like it or not.

Comments like "people will not be kind" again undermines the whole issue by making it sound like this kind of group dog-piling is just some harmless namecalling. It's abuse, bullying, plain & simple and nobody should be expected to have to deal with it. To get a little hyperbolic for a moment, if this was daily verbal abuse towards a coworker, it wouldn't be accepted; if this was daily verbal abuse from a husband to a wife it wouldn't be accepted; so why is Marie Tran just expected to deal with it, or leave?

Again you're conflating celebrity with an actor; why is any of us on Social Media? You presume Marie Tran's accounts were there to 'promote' herself, when maybe it was just some harmless instagram accounts to share life's mundanities and trivial moments (never did visit her account so open to correction)

No I'm not conflating anything, being a celebrity is nothing to do with it. My point is she's deliberately putting herself out there online for feedback, good or bad.

Put it this way - if I was in a star wars film the very last thing I'd do it setup a social media account to let people comment on me personally - why would I do that...

. Frankly it's coming off a little on the side of victim blaming here; that because Tran insisted on keeping her accounts open, and had the nerve to take on an acting JOB that was ... contentious to say the least, she only has herself to blame that she got routinely - CONSISTENTLY - attacked and abused online. It's not like she was posting 'Trump 2020' or something (though again, open to correction!)

So if she was being political it'd be more understandable?! The content doesn't matter and I am not victim blaming but I'm also not crying over it or feel very sorry for her. Same as Ghostbusters actress - if you take a job in the film industry and setup social media account and post you are deliberately putting yourself into the public domain and whatever feedback you get you need to accept as that's what you've decided to do.

It's easily avoided - act in your films, promote as required by studio but stay away from social media, simples.

It's called free speech - you can't control what people type into a comments section, whether it be abusive or not.

Nor is this behaviour specific to the world of acting; there are plenty of cases of bullying - especially in schools with teenagers - taking place on social media and staying off the services just isn't particularly helpful or pragmatic in a world that exists online, whether you like it or not.

Yes of course there is, but I'd hope parents would teach their kids the perils of social media so if they do post public posts or pictures they accept that not everyone will like it and they're opening themselves up for possible abuse.
    It's abuse, bullying, plain & simple and nobody should be expected to have to deal with it. To get a little hyperbolic for a moment, if this was daily verbal abuse towards a coworker, it wouldn't be accepted; if this was daily verbal abuse from a husband to a wife it wouldn't be accepted; so why is Marie Tran just expected to deal with it, or leave?

A co-worker needs to show up for work and make a living, it's not even remotely the same.

Publishing statements and media for the whole world to see online is completely different and you know it. Marie Tran is not expected to deal with it she can just leave and no harm done. She can get on with her life not impacted. How does not being able to publish on social media negatively impact her life? It doesn't - she can crack on as normal, lesson learned.

You live by social media you die by social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Wow, what a completely ****ty person's creed for social media that is. Imagine extrapolating that out into the meatspace... which I guess is part of the wider problem we have now.

Also, an actor's social media "reach" can be a significant factor in determining viability for a role. Not having that presence can be a significant mark against you.

Not embedding it because the resolution is quite large, but this is funny.

https://i.imgur.com/kVoI7hk.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nah, **** this quite frankly. If somebody wants to use social media for whatever reason - career, personal or otherwise - they should be free to without having to just accept that they'll be subject to abuse. While this is true for everyone (I find it appalling Rian Johnson can't tweet anything without a stream of socially-stunted adults yelling about him ruining their childhood) it's particularly repugnant to see people like Kelly Marie Tran targetted for reasons I don't need to elaborate on. Hell, even this thread has seen her targetted for her appearance and ethnicity in ways no other cast member was, even if it was mostly of a lower intensity than I'm sure she experienced every day on Instagram.

Yes, it's clear that social media in its current phase is full of abuse. But frankly that's no excuse for just rolling over and accepting it as the thing it is. The kind of horrible bastards responsible for this kind of nonsense want that to happen.

I'm encouraged to see the wave of goodwill - albeit laced with anger and frustration - that has greeted the situation around Tran. It's important for both fan communities and more general social media communities to fight back against the completely unacceptable ****, and hopefully encourage social media companies to crack down on it (people are entitled to their free speech, but sure as hell aren't immune to the consequences of it).

As Rian Johnson so eloquently put it - as he often does - this isn't about polite disagreements over a film, like most reasonable, rational people discuss these things. This is about call out the hateful morons, and insisting that this kind of garbage should never, ever become 'a norm' where the only option is to just 'put up or shut up'.

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1004073917990879233

Relikk wrote: »
    Not embedding it because the resolution is quite large, but this is funny.

https://i.imgur.com/kVoI7hk.gif

rofl thats amazing, could you imagine the actual reaction if thats what actually happened.. I have to say, i actually prefer it to what we got :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

han solo hated Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi, so why name his son after someone hates. According to original cannon his son is called Jacen. Ben was luke's son and Mara

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Smertrius wrote: »
    han solo hated Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi, so why name his son after someone hates. According to original cannon his son is called Jacen. Ben was luke's son and Mara

Who says he did?

"Help me obi-wan kenobi you're my only hope"

They also named a son Anakin, pretty sure Han disliked him more.

Varik wrote: »
    Who says he did?

"Help me obi-wan kenobi you're my only hope"

They also named a son Anakin, pretty sure Han disliked him more.
    you never saw star wars a new hope

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Varik's point is Ben was Leia's son too and she didn't hate Obi-wan, so she probably named him.

• Advertisement

I've seen it multiple times, was never under the impression Solo hated Kenobi :confused:

nix wrote: »
    I've seen it multiple times, was never under the impression Solo hated Kenobi :confused:
    Same. I'd say it was Owen Lars that hated him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Nah, **** this quite frankly. If somebody wants to use social media for whatever reason - career, personal or otherwise - they should be free to without having to just accept that they'll be subject to abuse.
    Nah, **** that quite frankly. If somebody wants to use social media for whatever reason - career, personal or otherwise - they should be free to say whatever the hell they want without having to just accept that they'll be subject to having to censor themselves.

By allowing people to have total and complete free speech, you give people the opportunity to out themselves as bigots, racists, sexists, etc., and you give the victims the opportunity to show how they can be easily offended by mere words. Win win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Wow, what a completely ****ty person's creed for social media that is. Imagine extrapolating that out into the meatspace... which I guess is part of the wider problem we have now.

Also, an actor's social media "reach" can be a significant factor in determining viability for a role. Not having that presence can be a significant mark against you.

It kind of is like that in meatspace though. How many big celebrities live in gated communities and walk around in public with bodyguards and the like? Tinted windows. Etc.

There's a reason for that.

The Internet, comment sections especially, is out of control. What's to stop someone from creating 50 instagram accounts and 50 twitter accounts and then just going around and posting awful comments all day?

There is a naive attitude that "we need to stop this" or "something has to be done" but the set up of the internet makes this impossible to do.

Sh!t, it was, and still is, impossible to do with telephones. If your number gets out there and you are getting a bunch of prank calls or abusive calls then you call the cops etc but ultimately you are going to have to change your number or disconnect.

You'd literally have to control the minds of people so that they can't even think of abusing someone online. It's never going to happen.

We can all agree that it's bad but "oh no a bad thing happened" is not much of a response.

The only option is for her to not allow comments on her posts and not allow people who aren't on her contacts list to contact her.

If you ban the users they will just come back.
    If you block them they will still come back.
    If you publicly complain about them they will just do it more.

There's no way out of it.

Varik's point is Ben was Leia's son too and she didn't hate Obi-wan, so she probably named him.
    but that is new cannon
    the original cannon by luciasfilm confirms name of Han and Leia is Jacen
    Luke and Maria son is Ben

they should use the original cannon not rewiting it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Nah, **** this quite frankly. If somebody wants to use social media for whatever reason - career, personal or otherwise - they should be free to without having to just accept that they'll be subject to abuse. While this is true for everyone (I find it appalling Rian Johnson can't tweet anything without a stream of socially-stunted adults yelling about him ruining their childhood) it's particularly repugnant to see people like Kelly Marie Tran targetted for reasons I don't need to elaborate on. Hell, even this thread has seen her targetted for her appearance and ethnicity in ways no other cast member was, even if it was mostly of a lower intensity than I'm sure she experienced every day on Instagram.

Yes, it's clear that social media in its current phase is full of abuse. But frankly that's no excuse for just rolling over and accepting it as the thing it is. The kind of horrible bastards responsible for this kind of nonsense want that to happen.

I'm encouraged to see the wave of goodwill - albeit laced with anger and frustration - that has greeted the situation around Tran. It's important for both fan communities and more general social media communities to fight back against the completely unacceptable ****, and hopefully encourage social media companies to crack down on it (people are entitled to their free speech, but sure as hell aren't immune to the consequences of it).

As Rian Johnson so eloquently put it - as he often does - this isn't about polite disagreements over a film, like most reasonable, rational people discuss these things. This is about call out the hateful morons, and insisting that this kind of garbage should never, ever become 'a norm' where the only option is to just 'put up or shut up'.

"You know the difference between not liking a movie and hatefully harassing a woman"

It seems that it's Johnson that conflates the two, don't like my movie, you must hate women. Think I did a poor job? You must live in your mothers basement. If anybody's disingenuous it's Johnson. For a man fond of calling people man babies he throws his toys out of the pram an awful lot.

BTW has Kelly Marie Tran stated why she closed her instagram page?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

"You know the difference between not liking a movie and hatefully harassing a woman"

It seems that it's Johnson that conflates the two, don't like my movie? you must hate women. Think I did a poor job? You must live in your mothers basement.
    If anybody's disingenuous it's Johnson. For a man fond of calling people man babies he throws his toys out of the pram an awful lot.

BTW has Kelly Marie Tran stated why she closed her instagram page? To the best of my knowledge she has not, it my well be that she was getting stick, but there seems to be a hell of a lot of shill media persuming that's the case and seemingly disinterested in confirming their story. It's almost as if it doesn't matter so long as they can take pot shots and indulge in a bit of narrative shaping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

conorhal wrote: »
    It seems that it's Johnson that conflates the two, don't like my movie? you must hate women. Think I did a poor job? You must live in your mothers basement.

Nah, Johnson has never said or implied anything of the sort. In fact, he has explicitly stated the complete opposite.

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1004034384649904128?s=21

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1004091443839823872?s=21

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1004726997778485248?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Let's put this all to bed once and for all.
    I work in a library and do Lego Animation.
    One of the kids left his workbook behind and open on a page where he has ranked all the Star Wars movies (even has included the animated movie).
    Number 1: Empire Strikes Back
    Number 2: The Last Jedi
    Number 3: a new hope
    Number 4: revenge of the sith

Phantom menace and attack of the clones are the bottom two.

He is 12, Disney are doing something right.

He also ranked the characters, it went to a four page list.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Let's put this all robbed once and for all.
    I work in a library and do Lego Animation.
    One of the kids left his workbook behind and open on a page where he has ranked all the Star Wars movies (even has included the animated movie).
    Number 1: Empire Strikes Back
    Number 2: The Last Jedi
    Number 3: a new hope
    Number 4: revenge of the sith
    It's kids like him who are going to aid in the destruction of grown adult's childhoods. He should be ashamed!

Advertisement