Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I believe they edited the ROTJ so that Guiness' force ghost was replaced by McGregor?

Don't think so, as I recall only Sebastian shaw was replaced, they left alec guiness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Don't think so, as I recall only Sebastian shaw was replaced, they left alec guiness

Yes definitely, I have the BluRays with the added NO NO Vader nonsense , but even Lucas had to respect Sir Alec Guinness and leave him in at the end as a force ghost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Tony EH wrote: »
    Better him than Anakin I say.

See, this type of thing sends my eyeballs rolling. If Ben is to come back as this force ghost rubbish, why would it be the McGreggor version and not the Guinness version that appeared before? It's a terrible idea to have "force ghosts" in the first place, but if they have to be there, then at least have them comsistent.

Or maybe, it's a flashback cameo. But why would that put Disney off from making a standalone Kneobi film?

It would be far, far better if she wasn't, in fact, related to anyone.

Far better for your taste maybe. For the story though? If it's done right? You said yourself they're doing a bang up job of tying everything up across films and they are also across the other platforms.
    It'd be pretty awesome to have her be a kenobi and having her face off against a Skywalker in Kylo.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,346 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Honestly I didn't even register her parentage as being important to the story by the end of TFA beyond a character building device to have her predisposed to surrogate parental figures like Han and most likely Luke next time out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

david75 wrote: »
    Well They're both important to the story and could still be important.
    Frank Oz was seen on set in London. And some sets here and in London were built 5 feet above the ground as they were for the dagobah set so he could do the puppeteering for Yoda So Yoda is likely. Which is great!

I really really hope this is true .. to see Yoda again would be just super!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

See, this type of thing sends my eyeballs rolling. If Ben is to come back as this force ghost rubbish, why would it be the McGreggor version and not the Guinness version that appeared before? It's a terrible idea to have "force ghosts" in the first place, but if they have to be there, then at least have them comsistent.

Maybe he looked at how Anakin was a young force ghost and was like "show me how to do that brah!" and he learned how to do so in the intervening 30 years.:pac:

If Obi Wan is to feature then maybe he could return in voice form like in TFA but to a greater extent. Speaking to Luke in meditation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

See, this type of thing sends my eyeballs rolling. If Ben is to come back as this force ghost rubbish, why would it be the McGreggor version and not the Guinness version that appeared before?.

Because Alec Guinness is dead..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

faceman wrote: »
    Who cares either way. It's not like the title is a spoiler.

I dunno man, just couldn't enjoy my first viewing of The Empire Strikes Back knowing the Empire was in fact going to strike back.

I don't usually pay attention to fan art but damn this is awesome
    https://twitter.com/800lbprods/status/824287056826404864

Also this. There's some hilarious stuff going on in this if you look close and a million little details :)
    carlisle_Star_Wars_TRU_Posters_DeathStar_23_LRsm2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Nice. The colouring is particularly good.
    Doesn't look like Luke though, which is a disappointment.

The second one is pretty sweet.

New interview with Rian. I hope he's kidding about modern language.
    http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/rian-johnson-last-jedi-interview/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't know if you read the location reports from what was filmed up north but it definitely sounds like we'll see that.

Any links to these reports?

As someone who lives nearby, I know they were carting tanker loads of water from a local river to the film location for quite a while.

So only thing I was sure of was that there was likely going to be a lot of rain in the scenes? Plus of course the fact that Rey, Luke, and Kylo were all up here filming.

NIMAN wrote: »

As someone who lives nearby, I know they were carting tanker loads of water from a local river to the film location for quite a while.

So only thing I was sure of was that there was likely going to be a lot of rain in the scenes? Plus of course the fact that Rey, Luke, and Kylo were all up here filming.

Makingstarwars is your friend. Their Facebook page is great but here's the results from their site

http://makingstarwars.net/?s=IReland

NIMAN wrote: »

Here's an actual description of what was shot.
    Spoilers beware spoilers
    http://makingstarwars.net/2016/05/star-wars-episode-viii-the-knights-of-ren/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Because Alec Guinness is dead..

Yeh, I know. You're missing the point. It would be better NOT to have him at all, because the physical change is jarring and ultimately stupid, to say the least.

In any case, being dead isn't a barrier to bring back Star Wars characters, as we've recently seen. :pac:

I found myself constantly wanting to push modern idioms into the dialogue

Oh dear. :(

I share your worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Yeh, I know. You're missing the point. It would be better NOT to have him at all, because the physical change is jarring and ultimately stupid, to say the least.

In any case, being dead isn't a barrier to bring back Star Wars characters, as we've recently seen. :pac:

I hear you, I was being facetious.... :o

I like McGregor, I also like the Kenobi character, I would love to see him back in some form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Well, you can't blame Josh Gad for trying.

https://www.facebook.com/joshgad/videos/789672441181314/

🤪

I'm betting we're gonna have Steve Stanton who voices Obi Wan in the upcoming Rebels episode, voice Obi Wan in 8/9 without a force ghost representation. I'd say beat for beat talking to Luke about training Rey as he talked to Yoda about training Luke.

She'll probably overhear it too :)

He sounds 100% like Guinness' kenobi too. Didn't a lot of us think they'd used audio from the OT? Was that this thread?

If you haven't seen it go check out the trailer for the second half of season 3 of Rebels. you'll see Obi Wan at the end. You may as well be listening to Guinness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 grumpyScotsman

the trailer for the second half of season 3 of Rebels

I've never watched any of them but love the movies - are they that good? Do they add much to the story, or is it just fluff?

I've never watched any of them but love the movies - are they that good? Do they add much to the story, or is it just fluff?

I was beyond skeptical about both the animated series. Mainly cos they're animated. But when they announced force awakens and I started reading about it I decided to dive in
    Clone wars has a huge amount of brilliant arcs and storylines that feed into backstory of the broader history and particular characters. Particularly Obi Wan Yoda and Anakin. There's a lot of politics and stuff like that that feeds into the clone wars / prequel era which you may or may not like. You can go to wookieepedia and it has an episode list to show which episodes to watch just to see say Obi wans episodes or anakins. But overall well worth watching.

Rebels is only on season three but is tying into the original trilogy in a big way. Even stuff in 8 we haven't seen yet.
    It seems to be a kids show that adults watch. They do one funny episode for the kids then really cool episodes like with ahsoka facing off against Vader and the inquisitors and stuff. Well worth watching I'd recommend it.
    Especially as it's coming right up to the rogue one/ a new hope era soon. They're based two years from that so it'll catch up. And the series only has two seasons left so how it'll end, with three Jedi still in play (Ezra Kanan and ahsoka) and more than likely we'll see Maul get taken out once and for all by Obi Wan in this seasons finale, it's exciting.

You get past the fact that it's animated quite quickly IMO. Don't let it stop you watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I hope Kylo Ren gets slaughtered by someone, I still cannot get past how much Adam Driver's stupid face irritates me! If he turns good and saves the day it will ruin this trilogy for me

For me he was head and shoulders above the rest of the cast in the movie. He's a brilliant, brilliant actor and for the first time ever in the Saga gave weight to the 'falling for the darkside' arc.

Everyone's talking about Luke and Rey, but for me I'll be eager to get into the cinema at mightnight to see how Kylo progresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Name three non-Star Wars films you watched in preparation.

Twelve O’Clock High was a big touchstone, for the feel and look of the aerial combat as well as the dynamic between the pilots. Three Outlaw Samurai for the feel of the sword-fighting, and the general sense of pulpy fun. And To Catch A Thief was a great film to rewatch, for the romantic scale and grandeur.

This makes me happy. The aerial combat in TFA wasn't for me... It was too fast and too CGI. I thought for a CGI space battle Rogue One nailed it for me, the original series based the combat on WWII movies so lots of slow banking roles and limited sweeping angles. Rogue one got that so spot on I forgot it was all CGI - I really felt the weight of the Y-Wings has they banked over the capital ship and swept in for their bombing run.

Also I always felt Star Wars lightsabre battles should be Samuari inspired.. I loved any of the kendo inspired duels, they just feel so heavy. Attack of the Clones spinning blades best left out.

Regarding the modern dialogue talk I wouldn't be worried. He says specifically he doesn't want to break the Star Wars 'spell' with modern dialogue so I'm sure it's just toned down, but remember the original series had plenty of 70s/80s styled dialogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I wonder would they be as brave to pull a double turn. Because for all the **** Kylo has done I still don't see him as the Darth Vader he wants to be and Rey...if she turned is a much more frightening prospect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I like the idea of both Kylo and Rey both being a little ambiguous when it comes to the sides. Kylo is obviously still drawn to the light side and I'd like to see him struggle with that while Rey also struggles with the temptations of the dark side.

.ak wrote: »
    For me he was head and shoulders above the rest of the cast in the movie. He's a brilliant, brilliant actor and for the first time ever in the Saga gave weight to the 'falling for the darkside' arc.

Everyone's talking about Luke and Rey, but for me I'll be eager to get into the cinema at mightnight to see how Kylo progresses.

Yeh, Driver was one of the few things I liked about 'The Force Awakens'. That hemet should have stayed on though and his face should be fcuked up in some manner. I don't know why, I just expected some drama there. Instead, I just got Adam Driver.

It's strange, I think Driver would have made a brilliant Anakin Skywalker. He could have improved those films to make them watchable.

Actually...

yhzjy.jpg

This makes me happy. The aerial combat in TFA wasn't for me... It was too fast and too CGI. I thought for a CGI space battle Rogue One nailed it for me, the original series based the combat on WWII movies so lots of slow banking roles and limited sweeping angles. Rogue one got that so spot on I forgot it was all CGI - I really felt the weight of the Y-Wings has they banked over the capital ship and swept in for their bombing run.

Weight is a very real problem with CGI models in films. They just lack it so often. The CGI in 'The Force Awakens' was executed pretty badly. You have the Millenium Falcon dumping itself into sand and flying through a forrest and basically crashing on the Starkiller base and no one gives a flying fcuk. It then takes off again later, no bother.rolleyes.png

Poe Dameron's nouveau X Wing can pull the most ridiculous and impossible maneuvers while he picks off nouveau TIE fighters left right and centre, without a single care in the world.

With real model work, you simply cannot do that. You HAVE to obey the laws of physics, which is why it nearly always comes off as the better option.

'Rogue One', as you say, "nailed it" and it was one of the most satisfying CGI sequences that I've ever seen. Whoever was in charge of animation knew that physical limitation of objects gives them weight - even if in space they would be weightless. biggrin.png

'Rogue One' brought back a certain feel of "realism" that Star Wars had lost and I hope that continues through future films.
    Also I always felt Star Wars lightsabre battles should be Samuari inspired.. I loved any of the kendo inspired duels, they just feel so heavy. Attack of the Clones spinning blades best left out.

Yeh, the prequels were all Errol Flynn type, over choreographed, dance moves. They never looked, once, like people were actually fighting. Even Vader and Kenobi's fencing in 'Star Wars' felt more real. It looked like two old guys having a bout after a long absence and the absolute best lightsaber duel was in 'Return of the Jedi', where they did look like they were having a fight and not a dance off with glowing sticks.

If you think the lightsabers in 'Attack of the Clones' was bad, stay away from the cartoons. They can be used as helicopters now. I know it's for kids, but fkn 'ell. rolleyes.png I really hope THAT doesn't end up in the films.

Regarding the modern dialogue talk I wouldn't be worried. He says specifically he doesn't want to break the Star Wars 'spell' with modern dialogue so I'm sure it's just toned down, but remember the original series had plenty of 70s/80s styled dialogue.

Yeh, but if characters start saying "cool", "awsome" or "yo", then Star Wars can fcuk off.

I think, for the most part, the originals did a great job of never bogging itself down in the language of the day, while still remaining contemporary. That trend should absolutely continue and there's no reason at all why it shouldn't.

You could well see rey go dark. He explains he's her father and she's furious and rightly so at being abandoned. Even if it is for her protection. That's really their only gateway to her going dark.

But the thinking is that they're gonna drop the Jedi / Sith paradigm. It's evolved. There's Snoke and Kylo and the knights of ren. There's the rule of two out the window.
    Luke has never had a Jedi master teach him about Jedi rules and dogma (bye bye rule about no attachment. Hello daddy). He's been making it up as he goes along. As he should.

It would be a truly weird move in the current climate to take a powerful lead female character as universally loved as rey who brought millions of new fans in little girls and boys and showing them Star Wars isn't just for boys and make her a bad guy. I think the modern political climate will see them avoid that. But who knows.

Only way Kylo can come back is if Snoke orders his ma killed or if she's attacked in front of him. No way in the word will he stand by and let that happen. Even though historically Disney loves killing mothers as a narrative objective to give a character motivation.

• Advertisement

Weight is a very real problem with CGI models in films. They just lack it so often. The CGI in 'The Force Awakens' was executed pretty badly. You have the Millenium Falcon dumping itself into sand and flying through a forrest and basically crashing on the Starkiller base and no one gives a flying fcuk. It then takes off again later, no bother.rolleyes.png

Poe Dameron's nouveau X Wing can pull the most ridiculous and impossible maneuvers while he picks off nouveau TIE fighters left right and centre, without a single care in the world.

With real model work, you simply cannot do that. You HAVE to obey the laws of physics, which is why it nearly always comes off as the better option.

'Rogue One', as you say, "nailed it" and it was one of the most satisfying CGI sequences that I've ever seen. Whoever was in charge of animation knew that physical limitation of objects gives them weight - even if in space they would be weightless. biggrin.png

'Rogue One' brought back a certain feel of "realism" that Star Wars had lost and I hope that continues through future films.

Yeh, the prequels were all Errol Flynn type, over choreographed, dance moves. They never looked, once, like people were actually fighting. Even Vader and Kenobi's fencing in 'Star Wars' felt more real. It looked like two old guys having a bout after a long absence and the absolute best lightsaber duel was in 'Return of the Jedi', where they did look like they were having a fight and not a dance off with glowing sticks.

If you think the lightsabers in 'Attack of the Clones' was bad, stay away from the cartoons. They can be used as helicopters now. I know it's for kids, but fkn 'ell. rolleyes.png I really hope THAT doesn't end up in the films.

Yeh, but if characters start saying "cool", "awsome" or "yo", then Star Wars can fcuk off.

I think, for the most part, the originals did a great job of never bogging itself down in the language of the day, while still remaining contemporary. That trend should absolutely continue and there's no reason at all why it shouldn't.

Tony if you haven't watched Rebels or clone wars you're missing out. There's a mountain of great stuff in there. Lot of stuff for kids too but it really informs and adds to the whole story.

Advertisement