Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Jesus, I keep meaning to give Rebels a look but after that clip I think I can put it off a bit longer :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

david75 wrote: »
    Tony if you haven't watched Rebels or clone wars you're missing out. There's a mountain of great stuff in there. Lot of stuff for kids too but it really informs and adds to the whole story.

I've watched a good bit of series one of Rebels, but I can't stand it. The main character, Ezra, is an awful teenager cliche, just irritating. I don't like Kanan Jarrus, he's just another Jedi superman, The Mandalorian girl's voice is annoying a fcuk, Syndulla is meh and the Chewbacca reject gets tiresome real fast. I also don't think Chopper is a suitable replacement for R2D2 - which the producers are soooo trying to make him. In addition, the Empire is weak and there's no umph to any of the stories. Plus, the 20 minute runtime is far too short to allow for much room in the storytelling.

I'm probably just too old to like this stuff now. It's just far too juvinile for me to truly enjoy. It seems to be popular, but for the life of me, I can't understand why. It really isn't good at all in my estimation.

In its favor the space scenes are done quite well and the starships are satisfying. But, there's nothing else in it for me, I'm afraid. I just dont' enjoy it. Also, I don't think I'm missing anything if I don't watch it. Star Wars loses nothing with its exclusion, but gets dented by the weak stuff within it.

I can't see myself returning to it any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got to agree 100% with this.

I tried watching a few episodes, and just couldn't enjoy it. Then again I'm middle aged and I just felt it was made for kids.

As said, if you don't ever see it, it doesn't spoil your enjoyment of the films.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Have to admit it can be frustrating. But episodes like twilight apprentice or the Yoda arc add a huge amount as it all is canon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Tony EH wrote: »
    I've watched a good bit of series one of Rebels, but I can't stand it. The main character, Ezra, is an awful teenager cliche, just irritating. I don't like Kanan Jarrus, he's just another Jedi superman, The Mandalorian girl's voice is annoying a fcuk, Syndulla is meh and the Chewbacca reject gets tiresome real fast. I also don't think Chopper is a suitable replacement for R2D2 - which the producers are soooo trying to make him. In addition, the Empire is weak and there's no umph to any of the stories. Plus, the 20 minute runtime is far too short to allow for much room in the storytelling.

I'm probably just too old to like this stuff now. It's just far too juvinile for me to truly enjoy. It seems to be popular, but for the life of me, I can't understand why. It really isn't good at all in my estimation.

In its favor the space scenes are done quite well and the starships are satisfying. But, there's nothing else in it for me, I'm afraid. I just dont' enjoy it. Also, I don't think I'm missing anything if I don't watch it. Star Wars loses nothing with its exclusion, but gets dented by the weak stuff within it.

I can't see myself returning to it any time soon.

Likewise i have zero interest in the animated series. However the Marvel graphic novels that are considered canon can be great. Some really good art work in them really brings them to life and they can still be quite dark at times really making them feel like part of the Star Wars universe rather than the teeny bopper feel you get from some of the animated shows that are geared towards kids. The Vader Down run was great.

• Advertisement

Lucasfilm are working on a new animated series and it's rumoured to b pitched to an older audience. No insights as to what it's about or when it's set though.

I can't help thinking a live action series might be a better prospect. Something along the lines of 'Firefly', even though I certainly would have some issues with that show and I dislike Whedon's stuff generally. But, an adult oriented Star Wars weekly show could work well. Empire era of course.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I can't help thinking a live action series might be a better prospect. Something along the lines of 'Firefly', even though I certainly would have some issues with that show and I dislike Whedon's stuff generally. But, an adult oriented Star Wars weekly show could work well. Empire era of course.

Just a matter of time before we get a live action series. They'll wait til the standalones are out of the way seems to be the thinking on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Clone Wars was legitimately fairly good.
    It had it's failings and it wasn't brilliant, but 90% of the episodes are watchable and a good 60% are a pleasure to watch.
    Rebels is ****e tbh.

Even leaving aside its failures on a technical level, just the way it's presented and organised doesn't work either.

There's breaks between episodes every other week - a 15-odd episode series has lasted about 6 months.
    The episodes are too short and too isolated as stories so nothing actually ever happens.
    There's not much in the way of an overriding arc. There's the rise of the rebellion and there's what happens in each episode but there's very little medium-term arcs.

I don't really know what they're going for to be honest. I don't know why they've changed tack from Clone Wars so much.

There are some good episodes and after stringing you along the whole season with mostly rubbish the last 2 episodes are worth watching.
    Overall its poor though. If it wasn't called Star Wars it wouldn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Lucasfilm are working on a new animated series and it's rumoured to b pitched to an older audience. No insights as to what it's about or when it's set though.

The original Clone Wars tv series was the best of the Star Wars tv series imo. The ones done by Genndy Tartakovsky.

The rest are all too kiddy for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Star Wars is essentially for Kids/Families, the problem is when those kids grow up and want Star Wars to grow up with them and it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Wedwood wrote: »
    Star Wars is essentially for Kids/Families, the problem is when those kids grow up and want Star Wars to grow up with them and it doesn't.

The discussion is about the tv shows, which indeed are aimed at kids, and not the movies.

Wedwood wrote: »

I've never really bought into this.

Star Wars, the original trilogy, was more than capable entertainment for an adult audience and still remains so. At least up until the teddy bears showed up in 'Return of the Jedi', Star Wars dealt in quite adult themes - Imperial oppression, rebellion, war, murder, genocidal death on a grand scale, etc. There are some very dark things going on in the original trilogy and though it can be enjoyed by kids, it's wasn't exclusively for them. Which is why adults can still enjoy those three films today, much more so than the prequel trilogy or other fondly remembered "family" films from yesteryear.

The prequels dumbed everything down to a stupefying level, of course, with incredibly awful attempts to pander to children (despite the fact that that particular story should have been waaaay more adult than it was), but the original films (two and a half of them anyhow) weren't directly aimed that way, despite Lucas's attempt to bolt on that idea later.

'Star Wars Rebels', on the other hand, is directly aimed at 7 year old's and that's reflected through the characters and story-lines of the show. Adults can enjoy it (I don't personally), but it's leagues away from the original films.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Not sure if this was mentioned here or not:

Disney CEO Bob Iger revealed that he has already seen an early cut of the film, calling it “a great next chapter in the iconic Skywalker family saga.”

Skywalker family suggestive of something?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

py2006 wrote: »

Disney CEO Bob Iger revealed that he has already seen an early cut of the film, calling it “a great next chapter in the iconic Skywalker family saga.”

It would be a bit of a surprise to me if Rey wasn't a Skywalker. Anything else would be a significant twist IMO.

bilston wrote: »
    It would be a bit of a surprise to me if Rey wasn't a Skywalker. Anything else would be a significant twist IMO.

Perhaps I should have used the word 'confirmation' more so than 'suggestive'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not necessarily. Luke, Kylo and Leia are all members of the Skywalker family. Even amongst the young characters, Kylo being a Skywalker-Solo is enough to make this a continuation of the generational struggle from the previous films.
    bilston wrote: »

Which is why her turning out to be nobody would be a far more interesting way to go.

Think of this way: Rey is desperate for a family that loves her and for a narrative that will give meaning to her abandonment, while Luke is desperate for another Skywalker who can put everything right again. Rey being his daughter is an appealing fantasy for them both. So believing herself to be a Skywalker, she goes running off to kill Kylo, who beats her easily this time and brings her world crashing down by revealing that her real parents sold her and left her for dead and that Luke is lying to her. She’s nobody. Throw a few other complexities into the mix and this would be a great way to end the second act of this trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Matt84

Can't wait ��

Beginning to think she's nobody. And her and Luke fall in love and have babies.
    That'll set up the next trilogy of skywalkers nicely.

Fan made trailer for 8 but it is really really well done.
    https://youtu.be/e-0UXhBN26E

Not really, the 'Star Wars' movies have been referred to as the Skywalker family saga for years, since the prequel episodes.

• Advertisement

Put his comment up against Kathleen Kennedy saying that they might not continue with the saga films and every option is being considered, you could say they might be about to end it as the skywalker saga with this trilogy.

There's not really anywhere for it to go after this unless Rey turns out to be a skywalker.

John Williams has started scoring The Last Jedi today. I thought his score or Force Awakens was fantastic and reminiscent of his movie scores of the 1980's. Hopefully more of the same on the way !!

Hard to believe this year is the 40th Anniversary of Williams' original Star Wars soundtrack.

Original-STAR-WARS-1977-Vinyl-Soundtrack-by-John-Williams1.jpg

He won a Grammy last night for force awakens for best soundtrack.

It's definitely a grower that one.

Lovely package by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It's definitely a grower that one.

Lovely package by the way.

ooh-matron-with-text.gif

I do love a firm freshly pressed vinyl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I really didn't enjoy TFA soundtrack... didn't have anything that stood out for me I'm afraid.

.ak wrote: »
    I really didn't enjoy TFA soundtrack... didn't have anything that stood out for me I'm afraid.

The piece when Rey was ascending Skeilig and finally seeing Luke was impressive.

Reys theme and the Jedi steps are both as good as anything else in star wars. Give them a listen again if you can. Nothing grabbed me or anyone in the music upon leaving the film. But those two are huge once you give them a fair chance.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure why people don't like TFA's soundtrack. There's plenty of nice themes in there like Rey's Theme, March of the Resistence, Jedi Steps, along with lots of smaller pieces like the First Order/Kylo Ren signature tune. There's also a nice sprinkling of original trilogy pieces like the Force Theme and Han Solo and the Princess (from ESB).

In terms of cultural impact, it's likely Williams' compositions will be played by orchestras for centuries to come, long after the movies they accompanied have been forgotten. He's up there with the likes of Mozart and Beethoven, were just blessed he's been able to keep knocking out his music well into his 80's.

Advertisement