Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

He is one of the masters of our time. Total genius. Look at his body of work and you'll know it. Probably all of it.

So I've always been fascinated how this works.

Williams is already scoring 8 and has it all written but is working in tandem with the editing process of the film to match the music.
    That sounds intense. Really high pressure. And he was 85 this week.

He's a magician isn't he?

Also means a trailer is closer. Be cool to get a small teaser before celebration then do full trailer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Folks there is a fantastic documentary called, 'I am your Father' on Netflix about David Prowse and his roll as Darth Vader and why he was snubbed by Lucas etc.

There are very many legitimate reasons for his status as persona non grata in the Star Wars camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

david75 wrote: »
    There are very many legitimate reasons for his status as persona non grata in the Star Wars camp.

Do tell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Do tell...

didn't he leak the empire strikes back ending at a college before the film opened in the 80s:

Or maybe it was the time he delivered a speech at UC Berkeley in 1978 wherein he spoiled the ending to The Empire Strikes Back—two years before its theatrical release.

“Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker… are hooked up in a do-or-die lightsaber duel when Luke learned that Darth is, in fact, his long-lost father,” Prowse told the audience. “Father can’t kill son, son can’t kill father. So they live again to star in Star Wars IV.”

• Advertisement

Bingo. And he'd been leaking plot lines before that.

The day they shot the I am your father scene he was given a script saying obi wan killed your father. And it leaked and they then knew it was him leaking the stories to the press.

Hamill talks about them paying extras to tell the reporters hangng around the pubs BS stories to throw them off during the filming too. By Prowse was caught red handed and Lucas never forgave him. Nor did Lucas film nor Disney forget it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I don't think there was any malice in Prowse's slipping plot details though. I think it was a case of loose lips more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Tony EH wrote: »
    I don't think there was any malice in Prowse's slipping plot details though. I think it was a case of loose lips more than anything else.

No - he did it to feed his massive ego and because he was p!ssed they used another actor to voice the character as well as another actor for the unmasking at the end of ROTJ.

Fvck him, no sympathies - if he'd just kept his head down and be grateful for the opportunities he'd have made a lot of money and just be happy.

He wouldn't have known the ending of ROTJ in 1978.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Watch the above documentary guys!

He was accused by Lucas in a one to one confrontation of leaking to the Daily Mail. It was crew members. dude who wrote article at time said his source wasn't David.

In an interview just as first movie was released he said it would be a great story if Vader was Lukes aul fella. it was merely a lucky guess as the script for sequel was not written and it was a secret from cast and crew.

He should be invited to official convensions and I thought he should have done some scenes as Vader in Rouge 1

• Advertisement

Sorta the first glimpse we have from VIII
    She's using Luke's saber and seems to be dressed in grey.
    IMG_6694.jpg?w=1240

I'd never seen the Star Wars Robot Chicken episodes.

I am currently in a knot laughing. Pure comedy genius. And Lucas took part and approved of them. Do yourself a favour and look them up.

https://youtu.be/-RaJNrXF2gc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I am currently in a knot laughing. Pure comedy genius. And Lucas took part and approved of them. Do yourself a favour and look them up.

Very jealous you haven't seen them til now.

The Palpatine taking the call from Vader scene is pure gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wedwood wrote: »
    I'm not sure why people don't like TFA's soundtrack. There's plenty of nice themes in there like Rey's Theme, March of the Resistence, Jedi Steps, along with lots of smaller pieces like the First Order/Kylo Ren signature tune. There's also a nice sprinkling of original trilogy pieces like the Force Theme and Han Solo and the Princess (from ESB).

In terms of cultural impact, it's likely Williams' compositions will be played by orchestras for centuries to come, long after the movies they accompanied have been forgotten. He's up there with the likes of Mozart and Beethoven, were just blessed he's been able to keep knocking out his music well into his 80's.

Ha, this is very cool. I decided to open up Spotify on my macbook and give the tracks a listen again, and I noticed this little easter egg...

409507.png

The time-bar is a lightsaber! It flickers and as the time scrolls along the saber extends. If you click on the hilt you can change it from Luke's (ANH) to Luke's ROTJ and Vader's!

Listening to the soundtrack I'm still not convinced. It's defo the weakest soundtrack in terms of stand out moments. Rey's theme is nice and has beautifully simple and light melody but it doesn't grab me. The Scavanger actually has a far better composition of the melody, with more depth and flutes on a lower octave - which I find key to Williams' big tracks, horns and other wind instruments hitting those lower notes (Imperial March etc)

But yeah Jedi Steps is just epic and its a pity it wasn't the re-occuring theme throughout the movie, the call and answer is tantalising and the way he brings in little flourishes of the original trilogy to tie in with Luke's history is a master stroke. I really hope he uses that melody again in the next movies.

Speaking of tieing in with other movies, I love the way Williams can do it without bringing too much attention it, ofcourse he has the nostalgic parts i.e the Falcon and Han's themes but Snoke's theme is very reminiscent of the Opera in Revenge of the Sith, which is really interesting...

Wow. You never saw them?

Lucas BTW has been very forgiving of pisstakes and fan edits of his stuff. Which is quite laudable in my book. Even Harmy got an ok.

"What the hell is an aluminum falcon"

Wow. You never saw them?

Lucas BTW has been very forgiving of pisstakes and fan edits of his stuff. Which is quite laudable in my book. Even Harmy got an ok.

I had to check but he is actually in one of them! Voices himself at a convention! It's hilarious!

Palpatine taking the call from Vader is amazing. Also the bit with him on the escalator on the Death Star is belly laugh out loud. Pure gold :)

.ak wrote: »
    Ha, this is very cool. I decided to open up Spotify on my macbook and give the tracks a listen again, and I noticed this little easter egg...

409507.png

The time-bar is a lightsaber! It flickers and as the time scrolls along the saber extends. If you click on the hilt you can change it from Luke's (ANH) to Luke's ROTJ and Vader's!

Listening to the soundtrack I'm still not convinced. It's defo the weakest soundtrack in terms of stand out moments. Rey's theme is nice and has beautifully simple and light melody but it doesn't grab me. The Scavanger actually has a far better composition of the melody, with more depth and flutes on a lower octave - which I find key to Williams' big tracks, horns and other wind instruments hitting those lower notes (Imperial March etc)

But yeah Jedi Steps is just epic and its a pity it wasn't the re-occuring theme throughout the movie, the call and answer is tantalising and the way he brings in little flourishes of the original trilogy to tie in with Luke's history is a master stroke. I really hope he uses that melody again in the next movies.

Speaking of tieing in with other movies, I love the way Williams can do it without bringing too much attention it, ofcourse he has the nostalgic parts i.e the Falcon and Han's themes but Snoke's theme is very reminiscent of the Opera in Revenge of the Sith, which is really interesting...

There's a really good podcast called Star Wars oxygen that goes into the music and it's actually mindblowing how much Williams ties in and repeats themes and subtle moments across the entire saga. The guy David w Collins really gets into it and knows his stuff about both music and composing and Williams work. Well worth looking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭valoren

Bingo. And he'd been leaking plot lines before that.

The day they shot the I am your father scene he was given a script saying obi wan killed your father. And it leaked and they then knew it was him leaking the stories to the press.

Hamill talks about them paying extras to tell the reporters hangng around the pubs BS stories to throw them off during the filming too. By Prowse was caught red handed and Lucas never forgave him. Nor did Lucas film nor Disney forget it either.

A classic example of don't bite the hand that feeds you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

There's a really good podcast called Star Wars oxygen that goes into the music and it's actually mindblowing how much Williams ties in and repeats themes and subtle moments across the entire saga. The guy David w Collins really gets into it and knows his stuff about both music and composing and Williams work. Well worth looking up.

I'm listening to these at the moment and I am hooked. I'm onto the sixth or seventh installment now, which is the final one that looks at Empire. I'm excited to get onto the prequels (now there's a sentence you don't hear very often), because ironically they contain some of Williams' best work.

For anyone interested, the podcast is called Rebel Force Radio, and Oxygen is a recurring series within the broader body of work. So if you find Rebel Force Radio in your preferred podcast app, then go back to circa 2014, you'll find the first edition of Oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,206 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Wow. You never saw them?

How many is there? I seen one years back. That was enough. I bought it on DVD and after watching I wish I had not. It was that bad and not in the least bit funny. Totally overrated trash is what I thought of it. I would prefer to watch "Spaceballs" again over that rubbish.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

How many is there of what? Robot Chicken Star Wars sketches? Quite a few. They're animated shorts made with action figures and voice overs. They're not supposed to blow your mind. Just make you chuckle a little bit.

They're all over Youtube. No need to buy a DVD at all. They're hit and miss, but you take what you want from them.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

To sum up the Robot Chicken Star Wars sketches, they wouldn't be for everyone.

The latest josh gadd video trying to interrogate daisy is great. Watch til the very end:)
    https://www.facebook.com/joshgad/videos/810081495807075/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Haha, Chris Pratt.

Buckle up.
    Hamill flew into London today and extras are being cast in England Scotland and Ireland for reshoots.

There were always reshoots planned for march. Watch the internet melt down about it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Buckle up.
    Hamill flew into London today and extras are being cast in England Scotland and Ireland for reshoots.

There were always reshoots planned for march. Watch the internet melt down about it though.

i would say theres very few movies that dont do reshoots now. with the amount of cgi and other practical effects its only normal that reshoots are needed when something doesnt fit right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

In fairness to reshoots, there is such big responsibility and money involved that it would be tough to make a film, see where it can be improved on (be it action sequences, story, dialogue, acting, pacing etc) and not be able to do anything to fix it beyond how it's edited. It must be a big relief on these projects to make the initial cut and be safe in the knowledge that you can review what you have and go back and improve on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The internet also had a meltdown amidst reports that Rogue One reshoots were happening. And those reshoots made the film far stronger.

• Advertisement

The internet also had a meltdown amidst reports that Rogue One reshoots were happening. And those reshoots made the film far stronger.

I was one who thought the reshoots were to "lighten the tone". This automatically had me worried we'd end up with a load of lame "humour" chucked into the mix and stinking up the final film, like Finn's stupidity in 'The Force Awakens'. Fortunately that wasn't the case.

One of the reshoots was Cassian's murder of the rebel informant. Which, almost single handedly, dramatically changed the dynamic of the usual Star Wars god guy/bad guy trope that is one of the worst things about the entire series.

So, while reshoots are always an indication of dissatisfaction with a film as it stands, they're not always a bad thing.

Advertisement