Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Am I only person who thinks Christensen is a poxy actor?!!!!

He was astoundingly terrible in Star Wars but he's a fairly OK actor otherwise. Wouldn't be in the oscar winning category, but he's far better than the prequels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

He's totally welcome back. This is earlier at celebration. With the emperor. and the other emperor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,453 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Am I only person who thinks Christensen is a poxy actor?!!!!

No.

Cue people talking about 'Shattered Glass'. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,453 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Nice.

Poor old Peter Mayhew though. His back is terrible fcuked now.

I hope he's still getting some income from Star Wars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Gonna see em on screen together in 8? I hope so.

https://twitter.com/theswu/status/852676561258110980

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I assume the trailer is out today?

I assume the trailer is out today?

Yep. 4pm or shortly after

*hoping it is an actual trailer and not some 30 second tease but let's see.
    It's rumoured to be a minute and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Hearing that its going to be a full trailer

Just Rey experiencing Donegal weather. No biggie
    https://twitter.com/david75donovan/status/852908210193403904

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

When I seen this pop up I thought trailer had released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Soon, those pictures were just shown at the panel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The trailer:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

C9YRt1SXkAEYN-k.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Underwhelming if being honest.

Disappointing we didn't get to see del toro in the trailer

That was remarkably bland.

• Advertisement

McDermotX wrote: »
    C9YRt1SXkAEYN-k.jpg

This is awesome however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Trailer looks good. Looking forward to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

McDermotX wrote: »
    C9YRt1SXkAEYN-k.jpg

That poster is awesome...Got a star wars boner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Love that poster! Teaser trailer did it's job alright too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Grey Jedi incoming.

Looks like Luke realises that locking away all emotion causes problems. Kind like the Pope saying priests can have the ride.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hot take: I look forward to viewing this space opera franchise sequel at the earliest convenience.

Tepid take: Ireland looks nice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was fine, I guess, the poster is a fantastic design no question though.

The teaser looks good and is suitably ambiguous, but as someone who hates the jedi & associated mythologies, a jedi centric trailer ain't one to get me excited. More space adventures, less mystical twaddle please (though does look like there'll be some proper space battle this time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,147 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Grey Jedi incoming.

Looks like Luke realises that locking away all emotion causes problems. Kind like the Pope saying priests can have the ride.

Agreed, jedi and sith two extremes of the force, the balance is a moderate middle ground.

TBF I guess I spoiled myself I decided "I'll watch The Force Awakens 1st Trailer to get me in the mood" that was a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I called this back in 2015. They are turning Luke into Kyle Katarn from the Jedi Outcast series; effectively a 'grey Jedi'.
    Falthyron wrote: »
    I think JJ is trying to suggest that The Force (dark and light) goes beyond that of the Jedi and the Sith. Maz Kanata says she has seen evil take many forms: the Empire, the First Order, the Sith. It is one big presence not limited to one faction or person, despite the Emperor being at the heart of most of it. Anakin brought balance by killing himself and the Emperor. On a larger scale he also brought balance between the Rebellion and the Empire by taking out its leader and leaving its armies leaderless.

Crucially though, and in my opinion, Luke is the carefully placed character finely balanced between light and dark. He did not receive full Jedi training (he knows nothing of their ways, truly, when we look at how Obi Wan and Anakin trained), he doesn't know how the Jedi operated, he almost falls to the darkside when he fights Vader in ROTJ, and he uses abilities from both the light and the dark (he chokes two guards in Jabba's palace). At the end of ROTJ, he is almost the perfect 'grey' force sensitive character. Anakin brought balance, but he left his son in the precarious position of 'what happens next?'. Sith and Jedi are gone (technically and in the traditional sense of what we know of them), and Empire is in disarray as the Rebellion can now take them on at an equal level. Balance remained for 20+ years until the mysterious Snoke emerged, recruited a powerful Sith and united the remnants of the Empire under the banner of the First Order.

and...
    Falthyron wrote: »
    Not all of the Jedi were killed when Order 66 was executed. Anakin was to bring balance to the force by removing the shadow of the Sith that had managed to creep up and overwhelm the Jedi - this is clear when Windu says how could the Jedi have been so blind. Anakin was both Jedi and Sith. He destroyed (for the most part) the Jedi and eventually destroyed the Sith. Luke isn't the one who brought balance, he simply reminded Anakin of his origins, of who he was. Until Darth Vader threw Sidious into the Death Star, Anakin's prophecy was unfulfilled. All remnants of the Jedi and Sith were removed the moment he and Sidious died, thus leaving Luke in the precarious position of 'where do we go from here?'.

If anyone has played the game Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, you will know that the character of Kyle Katarn is very similar to Luke. He is someone who is force sensitive and utilises the force, but doesn't really adhere to the code of the Jedi Order. Luke knows nothing of the Jedi Order as we know from the prequels, i.e. no relationships, fear, etc. He isn't taught any of these things (that we know of), so when Anakin brings balance by destroying the Sith after having removed all Jedi, Luke really is in a new position with the battle between Jedi and Sith now over.

In many ways, the story seems to harness the old adage: 'If you do not play, you can not lose'. Luke stepped away from everything in the hope that Jedi and Sith would both disappear because you need one to have the other, and vice versa. Luke will teach Rey that there is more to the force than just the lightside and that 'balancing the Force' means more than just defeating the Sith.

Advertisement