Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Loved the trailer

After what Daisy said at the convention and the end of the trailer, Luke appears to have either lost his way, or at least found a new one.

Can't help but feel that Po has extremely bad luck with his x-wings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Well that's gotten me suitably excited.

That soundtrack :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

The Force Awakens mirrored A New Hope and this looks like its gonna mirror Empire.
    Luke trains Rey
    Finn/Poe gets in trouble with Kylo
    Rey (who's not ready) runs off to confront Kylo
    Hope i'm wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

This poster is so apt! :D

414623.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Not as excited as I was for Awakens. And seeing as I thoroughly enjoyed Awakens - I'm surprised.

Obviously they took elements from A New Hope in TFA, but this trailer had me seeing massive echoes to Luke/Yoda in Empire. Hope it's not as similar as I predict, as they shouldn't be doing that in this one.

Saying that, trailer didn't really reveal a lot - seeing as Rey is my least favourite of the 3 good mains. The other two just got a very brief frame. I imagine excitement will build as it comes closer - but for now, reserved, is my overriding emotion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

pixelburp wrote: »
    It was fine, I guess, the poster is a fantastic design no question though.

The teaser looks good and is suitably ambiguous, but as someone who hates the jedi & associated mythologies, a jedi centric trailer ain't one to get me excited. More space adventures, less mystical twaddle please (though does look like there'll be some proper space battle this time).

Ehh the whole series is about Jedi though?

Plus the space battle is gonna put rogue ones in the hapenyy place

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Great trailer, follows the template of the second TFA teaser pretty closely.

I love the extreme wide shot of Rey and Luke on Skellig. And that Luke is... not what we expect. We already got the Obi-wan of this trilogy in Han. Luke needs to be different, more unpredictable. There was a potentially sinister edge to Yoda in TESB - like maybe he had his own agenda separate from Luke and Obi-wan's - but it was never resolved and subsequently brushed away in ROTJ. Hopefully Luke's story is wrapped up in this film and Johnson doesn't leave it to Trevorrow. The final film should focus solely on the new generation of characters.

Looks like Johnson is bringing a fresh perspective to Star Wars while still paying respect to what went before. I can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭conorhal

That was an AWESOME trailer. Psyched!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,793 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Great trailer :D now an eight month wait :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Found that fairly underwhelming. I'm guessing in part because I've no real interest in Rey's journey. I thought TFA was just about "fine" when I saw it, but time has lessened my interest in spending any more time with these characters.

• Advertisement

There's so much buried in this trailer.
    We hear 'help me Obi Wan kenobi' when we see Leia

We hear Vader say '..don't know the power of the dark side' on the shot of kylos smashed helmet.

We hear Obi Wan AND Yoda but I can't make out what they're saying. But they're definitely there.

This film is gonna be a totally different take on Star Wars but using its best strengths to full effect.

I cannot wait.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

david75 wrote: »
    Ehh the whole series is about Jedi though?

Plus the space battle is gonna put rogue ones in the hapenyy place

It's not the most interesting or compelling thing about the universe for me, nor the central focus of the larger story really. I like star wars for its lo-fi, frontier storytelling; bland, emotionless warrior monks make for a cr*p story, yodas eccentricity notwithstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

OK teaser - does what it's supposed to without giving much away - but I have to say I really don't like that poster at all.

OK teaser - does what it's supposed to without giving much away - but I have to say I really don't like that poster at all.

The lightsaber starts blue and ends red.

I took his last year on Skellig. Had no idea it would end up in the film. She's training in front of this. I wonder will we see her 'make' that hole in the rock with her lightsaber??
    https://instagram.com/p/BS36VH2lBh-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,453 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It was fine, I guess, the poster is a fantastic design no question though.

The teaser looks good and is suitably ambiguous, but as someone who hates the jedi & associated mythologies, a jedi centric trailer ain't one to get me excited. More space adventures, less mystical twaddle please (though does look like there'll be some proper space battle this time).

Yeh, that's me too.

But, Luke did say "it's time for the Jedi to end". I couldn't agree more.

Looks...um...ok...(ish)?

But after the bleh 'The Force Awakens', I just cannot be bloodrushed about this particular trilogy.

Always happy to be proven wrong however.

...and hoping for Finn's coma to be permanent. :pac:

Agreed, jedi and sith two extremes of the force, the balance is a moderate middle ground.

Always thought a good final trilogy would see the Jedi and Sith joining forces against a foe worse than either.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Always thought a good final trilogy would see the Jedi and Sith joining forces against a foe worse than either.

That's a tasty idea

It's not the most interesting or compelling thing about the universe for me, nor the central focus of the larger story really. I like star wars for its lo-fi, frontier storytelling; bland, emotionless warrior monks make for a cr*p story, yodas eccentricity notwithstanding.

Agree again. The Jedi and Sith are fine when they're on the fringes. But, when they're front and centre, their waffle and woefully inconsistant space superman abilites drag the films down.

Maybe the whole space jesus thing from the prequels just has me all twisty mouthed about them.

How they were presented in the original films was pretty much perfect. They have certain powers, but their religion had seen its day and they weren't supermen leaping out of flying vehicles, amiling and not giving a shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Agree again. The Jedi and Sith are fine when they're on the fringes. But, when they're front and centre, their waffle and woefully inconsistant space superman abilites drag the films down.

Maybe the whole space jesus thing from the prequels just has me all twisty mouthed about them.

How they were presented in the original films was pretty much perfect. They have certain powers, but their religion had seen its day and they weren't supermen leaping out of flying vehicles, amiling and not giving a shit.

My stomach sank when I saw Obi Wan and Qui Gon do their super-run at the start of TPM. Never a hint of those abilities in the originals, just a nice mysticism behind the Jedi and the Force.

On a seperate note. I wonder is the first shot of the trailer actually the opening shot right after the crawl. Interesting dissolve.

• Advertisement

He says it's time for the Jedi to end.

Then we see her being trained.

He might be dropping Jedi dogma. He never actually learned it. There was nobody to teach him no attachment etc.

This is why we might see Ahsoka who also is Jedi but no longer a Jedi.
    Five powerful but no longer classed as Jedi.

I can totally see him training her within a new paradigm. The poster suggests as much too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

It's all about the poster for me! I'm a big fan of Star Wars art anyway and I absolutely love it. The retro look, the throwback to the original ANH poster...it's great.

The trailer was fine. I didn't expect much from it. Less is very much more when it comes to trailers and I'm confident they won't give too much away before the film comes out. Roll on December!

My stomach sank when I saw Obi Wan and Qui Gon do their super-run at the start of TPM. Never a hint of those abilities in the originals, just a nice mysticism behind the Jedi and the Force.

Yeh, I remember going "oh dear", when I saw that.

...and then wondering why they didn't bother doing again when they needed it later?

Mind you Luke does do a force jump in 'The Empire Strikes Back'. :D

This is a problem with "superman" stuff, however. You really need to be careful at what abilities you empower your characters with, so they can get out of jail in one scene. Because your audience will be asking questions later when it doesn't happen again.

Speaking of which, I watched 'The Phantom Menace' the other day, in a fanedit version called the "anti cheese edit" and by christ whoever made that cut improved that film by a 1000 fold. Jar Jar is over dubbed with "alien" language and subtitled, as are all the Gungans. Much of the stupidity is absent and a lot of the questionable content is excised, like those awful podracing announcers.

It still has huge problems, like the actual podrace, R2D2 being shoehorned in, Darth Vader building C3PO and him blowing up the Droid army star ship, but at 92 minutes the film goes by much cleaner and feels much better. It's amazing at what a bit of judicious editing can do to a film.

I think we're bothered by the Jedi in the prequels having 'super powers' cos the prequels.

Luke has several moments in the films where he does the same as Tony said and no problem.

The Jedi are super powerful. That's all there is too it.

The way they were depicted in the prequels and the fact it's the prequels is our problem.

I think the problem is the getouttajail card nature of their powers.

Luke's powers are pretty consistent and actually rather limited TBH, which makes for better viewing.

Too much Jin and Obi Kenobi's aren't. Although I have to say Liam Neeson was always one of the things I liked about the prequels.

There are worse issues in the EU though. Some Jedi are so powerful it's absurd. There's Jedi that can stop star destroyers at one point, I think.

That's just bloody stupid.

I think the problem is the getouttajail card nature of their powers.

Luke's powers are pretty consistent and actually rather limited TBH, which makes for better viewing.

Too much Jin and Obi Kenobi's aren't. Although I have to say Liam Neeson was always one of the things I liked about the prequels.

There are worse issues in the EU though. Some Jedi are so powerful it's absurd. There's Jedi that can stop star destroyers at one point, I think.

That's just bloody stupid.

The point of the prequels was to see the Jedi at the height of their powers. And them almost taking that for granted and being blind to all else.

That was the main point of the prequels after anakins story. And it succeeds at portraying that. You're talking about it. I hate it too. But that's where they are. And that's why they fell.

Pulling star destroyers out of the sky is no different than lifting an xwing out of a swamp.
    Size matters not. It's about ability.

Mark Hamill talking about Carrie fisher just now on the streaming.

Emotional stuff

'So if I'm luke Skywalker a moisture farmer from tatooine but my sister is Princess Leia? A princess?? Does that make me royalty??'
    And Carrie said NO!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Love the poster. Instant classic. Will defo consider getting one framed.

The trailer... bit meh, if I'm being honest, doesn't have the drama the TFA trailers had... But looks great, and doesn't reveal much, which is what you want...

I also see Empire being mirrored, which I hope we'd get away from, it has the Yoda-Luke thing replicated by Luke-Rey, it has the AT-AT's incoming on the barren planet, it has the Rey confronting someone/something like Luke did in Empire... Hopefully something original comes out of it.

Unfortunately the CGI looks pants, like it did in TFA, with no 'weight' to it... Why didn't they get the guys from Rogue One to do it? Best space CGI n any movie I've ever seen, really nailed the 'weighty' actions of the starfighters that we saw in the original trilogy.

Advertisement