Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Rian Johnson: We Will Find Who Rey's Parents Are in The Last Jedi + More Cast Interviews - http://bit.ly/2pkkSEa - #TheLastJedi

.ak wrote: »
    Love the poster. Instant classic. Will defo consider getting one framed.

The trailer... bit meh, if I'm being honest, doesn't have the drama the TFA trailers had... But looks great, and doesn't reveal much, which is what you want...

I also see Empire being mirrored, which I hope we'd get away from, it has the Yoda-Luke thing replicated by Luke-Rey, it has the AT-AT's incoming on the barren planet, it has the Rey confronting someone/something like Luke did in Empire... Hopefully something original comes out of it.

Unfortunately the CGI looks pants, like it did in TFA, with no 'weight' to it... Why didn't they get the guys from Rogue One to do it? Best space CGI n any movie I've ever seen, really nailed the 'weighty' actions of the starfighters that we saw in the original trilogy.

Even a cursory glance at that trailer shows it's nothing like empire. At all.
    It's going to be accused of being too different to Star Wars we know. Just watch

Although. Yoda and Obi Wan and Vader are all about n the clip. As well as luke and Leia quotes from the ot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

david75 wrote: »
    Even a cursory glance at that trailer shows it's nothing like empire. At all.
    It's going to be accused of being too different to Star Wars we know. Just watch

Although. Yoda and Obi Wan and Vader are all about n the clip. As well as luke and Leia quotes from the ot.

Well the only thing that there was any sort of solid info on in the trailer was Rey training with Luke. Who is a hermit. In a secluded, hidden area.

Similar enough to what happened in another 2nd movie in another trilogy.

It might take a different turn but I find it entirely possible that they use another similar plot, and have Kylo draw them out through getting at Finn.

Hopefully it isn't as predictable as that, but the only info there is so far is that it's reusing a plot strand from an old movie, who shares its place in the trilogy as the 2nd movie.

Obviously they could go a different way with it all.

But there were definite echoes of Empire. "Even a cursory glance at the trailer" (condescending much?) tells you that.

We're getting a book called the legends of luke Skywalker from an author called ken liu. His name is familiar and I can't remember why.
    Also Claudia grey is writing a book called Princess Leia. She did an incredible job with Bloodline.

No news where the luke book is set but I know where I want it to be. Looks from the cover like it might be a Collectuon of different stories jumping around timewise

https://twitter.com/chaosbria/status/852996139527929856

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

.ak wrote: »
    Love the poster. Instant classic. Will defo consider getting one framed.

The trailer... bit meh, if I'm being honest, doesn't have the drama the TFA trailers had... But looks great, and doesn't reveal much, which is what you want...

I also see Empire being mirrored, which I hope we'd get away from, it has the Yoda-Luke thing replicated by Luke-Rey, it has the AT-AT's incoming on the barren planet, it has the Rey confronting someone/something like Luke did in Empire... Hopefully something original comes out of it.

Unfortunately the CGI looks pants, like it did in TFA, with no 'weight' to it... Why didn't they get the guys from Rogue One to do it? Best space CGI n any movie I've ever seen, really nailed the 'weighty' actions of the starfighters that we saw in the original trilogy.

Do you mean emotional weight or actual weight ? I'd be the first to rag on it if it was the latter , I thought the Poe dogfight over Maz's cantina was appalling in that respect(his xwing had all the weight of a mayfly), but I saw no evidence of it in this teaser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Looking forward to December after seeing this yesterday. Rogue One kind of left me cold but the "new trilogy" of movies has a lot going for it IMHO. I still reckon several more viewings of this trailer will be needed. There's always a few things missed on the first viewing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Seems contrary to most, my favourite thing about Star Wars has always been the Jedi. The space stuff is cool but Jedi are #1 for me. This film does look like it will be super focused on the force.

Looking forward to December after seeing this yesterday. Rogue One kind of left me cold but the "new trilogy" of movies has a lot going for it IMHO. I still reckon several more viewings of this trailer will be needed. There's always a few things missed on the first viewing

The buried audio is great. You can hear them all here

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Seems contrary to most, my favourite thing about Star Wars has always been the Jedi. The space stuff is cool but Jedi are #1 for me. This film does look like it will be super focused on the force.

I'm with you. Much prefer that aspect of it to the political stuff. I'd say we're gonna get seriously deep into the force in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The biggest issue with diving into explaining the force is the continuity questions it will inevitably cause as it contradicts what was previously known.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    The biggest issue with diving into explaining the force is the continuity questions it will inevitably cause as it contradicts what was previously known.

Possibly. His dialogue in the trailer suggests he's just dropped all Jedi dogma and has taken a new approach in the middle that is more powerful (for using light and dark?)

Looks like Daisy just killed the theory that Luke's her father
    https://twitter.com/erikdavis/status/852942796646428672

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

pjohnson wrote: »

If it contradicts the Midichlorian nonsense then I hope they go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The trailer seems to raise some new questions, particularly around Luke. Of course teaser trailers can be misleading.

The trailer has got me wanting to watching TFA again though.

Mokuba wrote: »
    If it contradicts the Midichlorian nonsense then I hope they go for it.

Unless it ends up being even more nonsense

We're never gonna hear the m word ever again :)

We're never gonna hear the m word ever again :)

Hopefully but I'm wary wtf else could come out of the rabbit hole lol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Midichlorians were a terrible idea but didn't really contradict anything. The idea of the Force being passed on biologically had already been established in Empire/Jedi. Lucas just used Midichlorians as a clunky way for the Jedi in the prequels to measure someone's force powers. There was better way he could have done this.

The funny thing is Abrams tried to get back to the original idea of the Force as something anyone can harness, no training or Jedi fathers required, and got a lot of flak for it.

They're really bringing that idea back though across the franchise. The force is in every living being it's just that it needs training to be awakened as with luke pardon the pun.
    Chirrut and Jyns mam two examples for people that might be force sensitive just they're not force capable.

Midchlorians were a wretched idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,453 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Something like "the Force", should never be explained in anything but Kenobi's dellightfully vague terms in 'Star Wars'. A mystical energy field that surrounds...penetrates...blah blah...binds the galaxy...and all that jazz.

When you try to rationalise or explain a fantasy like that, or even bring science into it, it's akin to doing so for god, Jesus and religion in general.

Inevitably, you're going to trip up and look like a fool.

Yeah. Thnkfully they've stepped away from it completely.

• Advertisement

Midichlorians were a terrible idea but didn't really contradict anything. The idea of the Force being passed on biologically had already been established in Empire/Jedi. Lucas just used Midichlorians as a clunky way for the Jedi in the prequels to measure someone's force powers. There was better way he could have done this.

The funny thing is Abrams tried to get back to the original idea of the Force as something anyone can harness, no training or Jedi fathers required, and got a lot of flak for it.

Abrams got flak because Rey suddenly uses powers that the audience are familiar with, but she couldn't possibly be. That was the problem. Rey being a powerful Jedi isn't an issue, but her suddenly deciding to use something as specific as a Jedi mind trick without any indication that she was aware of such a thing is rightfully going to cause people to pause for thought, at the very least.

Abrams went with that because he knows the audience knows what that is and he needed Rey to be able to get out of a sticky situation. but, it was ham fisted, to say the least.

Yeah. Thnkfully they've stepped away from it completely.

Well, as I said before, they seem keen to step away from the prequel trilogy as a whole. They even seem to want to establish their own prequel dogma in place of it with their anthology films.

The greatest saving grace about the prequels is that you don't have to include them at all in the series. Nothing gets lessened without them being part of the series.

Although that may change when and if the Kenobi film gets made. But, it won't be impossible for that screenplay to mention nothing of the worst of episodes 1, 2 and 3.

Do you mean emotional weight or actual weight ? I'd be the first to rag on it if it was the latter , I thought the Poe dogfight over Maz's cantina was appalling in that respect(his xwing had all the weight of a mayfly), but I saw no evidence of it in this teaser.

Not trying to speak for .ak here, but I believe he/she is taking about the physical weight of an object. All too often in CGI such physical limitations are completely absent because the animators lack any knowledge or care for a model's phyiscal relation to the surroundings it inhabits.

In 'The Force Awakens' Poe's craft flits around, almost pulling 90 turns and shooting down half a squadron of TIE fighters with minimal effort and the scene looks stupid to anyone over 6. Regardless of whether one has a degree in physics or not, your brain tells you that something's off. This is something of a disease in CGI that was largely absent with real life models and animatronics. For instance, Rey and Han both bash the Millennium Falcon off of various terrain in the film and fcuk all happens. It looks awful and it's something that you couldn't do with an expensive plastic model that your crew has worked on for months, because it would break in some way...just like its larger, "real life", counterpart.

But, it is possible to achieve realistic "weight" and genral physicality with 3D animation as has been shown in other films, including 'Rogue One'. The animators just need to be made aware of it. It isn't simply about moving an object from one end of a line to another and having things look "kewl".

Well there's a thing that we saw Rey have too much unexplained force powers in 7 and we're probably gonna get nothing but force stuff in 8. I'm up for that.

If you think the cgi was lacking in 7 the very first shot of bb8 where the camera pans around him close up in the village at night is 100% cgi.
    Which is amazing given its indistinguishable from the real droid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think the issue is that if you're doing hard sci-fi you need to put the groundwork in so that you can create a coherent world.

The other side to that is that for it to be coherent it also has to follow within certain constraints.

Star Wars has always been fantasy first and the sci-fi part is a bit incidental.
    Droids, human pilots, weaponry, combat being practiced like 17th century sail ship combat. It's all there not because it makes sense but because it's cool.

Trying to explain everything, whether it's the ludicrous figures given for what the yield of Star Destroyers are (ie, their guns are all like nuclear bombs every shot, except they make little divits in the ground), or how the space magic works will either be nonsensical or dissatisfying.

It's better to underexplain and leave things mysterious in this kind of story, than get specific and bugger it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭xper

Tony EH wrote: »
    Not trying to speak for .ak here, but I believe he/she is taking about the physical weight of an object. All too often in CGI such physical limitations are completely absent because the animators lack any knowledge or care for a model's phyiscal relation to the surroundings it inhabits.
    ...[snip]...
    But, it is possible to achieve realistic "weight" and genral physicality with 3D animation as has been shown in other films, including 'Rogue One'. The animators just need to be made aware of it. It isn't simply about moving an object from one end of a line to another and having things look "kewl".
    Based on the fact that it has been done correctly on occasion, that the software applications used in this area has the capability built in and that animators frequently refer to such concepts as 'weight', 'feel', 'anatomy', etc in various "Making of" interviews, I suspect the blame doesn't lie with the animators but with their supervisors or the movie director/producers who are may be more focused on 'kewl' or budget or deadline or whatever.

Was wondering about this. With Kathleen Kennedy confirming Leia will not be in episode 9, will they change Luke's fate? If he was to be killed off will they back away from that now to keep him in play? It's fairly certain he makes it out of TLJ anyways.

Mark Hamill says his Star Wars: Episode IX return is “to be determined”
    https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/04/mark-hamill-says-his-star-wars-episode-ix-return-is-to-be-determined/#.WPMhSPvqrbU.twitter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't think Leia will any impact on it. If there's a natural place in TLJ where they could have let her die, then they may reshoot to do that. Otherwise I expect her fate to be dealt with in the opening crawl of Episode 9. "General Leia has died".

This film will probably contain most of Luke's arc in this trilogy. They aren't going to extend that arc just because Fisher died. The new characters need to have the final movie to themselves. Better for Luke to come back as as Force ghost in one scene rather than come back to die in one scene.

Yeah I'd say the plan was always to 'hand off' the saga to the new cast members. How it happens just might have changed a bit. KK also said they went back and started again after Carries death. She does have a big role in 8 so there's some serious reworking done to suddenly explain her absence in a way that honours the character suitably.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Interesting trailer. Full of symbolism and throwbacks to the OT. Multiple echoes of Empire Strikes Back.

Really hope Skywaker's comment about the end of the Jedi marks an evolutionary update to the series in terms of the force and Star Wars religion. Really hope this isn't just ESB remade.

Advertisement