Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

is that canon? cos i heard the lads on jedi council say Jedi takes place 8/9 years after anh and they know their stuff

they wont leave much time between FA and the new one..they have sets built to replicate skellig michael in London so itll pick up soon after we leave it i reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭xper

Falthyron wrote: »
    Star Wars Episode VIII delayed until Christmas 2017.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-episode-8-delayed/1100-6433994/

A re-write of the script is currently being undertaken by Rian Johnson.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2016/01/20/star-wars-rumor-episode-8-shooting-delayed-for-a-script-rewrite

Don't know what to make of that. Could be good to ensure an excellent script is written, but now we have to wait almost two years to see it.
    Well, reading those articles, it sounds like the script change and the release date change are separate decisions, both probably initiated by Disney.

I'd be a bit worried about the script fiddling. I can't see a new writer/director, on the eve of shooting, suddenly deciding to reduce the prominence of the new characters he is getting to introduce to the saga on foot of the positive market feedback about the new characters of his predecessor. Sounds like studio interference. del Toro joining von Sydow in the cameo pit?

The script rewrite is apparently only delaying shooting by a month so that doesn't explain the seven month shift in release date. I suspect this is indeed a reaction to the runaway box office success of Ep VII and they just want to repeat the release/marketing formula as closely as possible. Avatar 2's departure from the stage only helps the decision. With five saga and spinoff movies in the pipeline, they really could make Star Wars a temporary Christmas tradition a la the LOTR trilogy.

This is worth watching again..From Star Wars to Jedi..a video narrated by Hamill about the production..i had this as a kis and its wonderful as a backstage glimpse on all the production

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

david75 wrote: »
    is that canon? cos i heard the lads on jedi council say Jedi takes place 8/9 years after anh and they know their stuff

Everywhere and every thing I've read says empire 3 year after a new hope and jedi a year after empire

• Advertisement

What do we think. Young Han Solo?
    https://instagram.com/p/BA6OBm3FeRB/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

What do we think. Young Han Solo?
    https://instagram.com/p/BA6OBm3FeRB/

Without a doubt he would be my number one choice. He has the looks, mannerisms and voice of Harrison Ford, but his acting experience is limited. Then again, you can always train to be an actor, but you can't train to be Harrison Ford. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Just think it's a strange move tbh..it'll have to be scanned and printed over for the CGI etc..just a weird way to do it. Ads a ton of work

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just think it's a strange move tbh..it'll have to be scanned and printed over for the CGI etc..just a weird way to do it. Ads a ton of work

How do you think they did Force Awakens? Or the majority of visual effect films for the last 30 years?

Eh, FA was shot digitally..not with film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Eh, FA was shot digitally..not with film.

No, it was shot entirely on 35mm except for one scene which was shot on 70mm. Abrams is firmly in the celluloid camp. As is Rian Johnson.

Really? cant say i noticewd the difference but the imax shot they did on imax cameras was noticeable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Really? cant say i noticewd the difference but the imax shot they did on imax cameras was noticeable

What scene was it? :o The only one I can think of is the scene where the Falcon leaves the Jakku system and flies off into space...

I thought there was a distinctive grain structure that gave the movie a very filmic look, though they were obviously imitating the OT to a large extent. I didn't notice the IMAX-shot stuff in at all. There was so much digital manipulation of that sequence — with half of it being entirely digital — I'm not sure why Abrams bothered. Ditto his use of it in Star Trek Into Darkness. It seemed to be just an excuse to play with the IMAX cameras.

Which is probably telling of the way the industry is going. I haven't done a count, but it seems like the majority of blockbusters are being shot on film these days. The pressure that existed a few years ago to shoot digital and 3D seems to have vanished, especially now that the studios all have an investment in Kodak. Independent filmmakers obviously have financial reasons for shooting digital, but I really think the celluloid camp has already won the big budget films.

As for the future: digital cameras will get better (higher resolution, better colour, less messing around in post), film will stay the same, 3D and higher frame-rates will dwindle (unless Cameron saves them both - again), multiplex screens will stay the same size and super-sized IMAX theatres will remain a novelty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Official announcement and video. Looks like the second Skellig Michael shoot from a few months back. If this film literally picks up from where the last one left off it will be the shortest ever narrative gap between episodes to date.

Plus, Laura Dern???

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-viii-now-filming?cmp=smc%7C368071963&linkId=21276843

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

doubledown wrote: »
    Official announcement and video. Looks like the second Skellig Michael shoot from a few months back. If this film literally picks up from where the last one left off it will be the shortest ever narrative gap between episodes to date.

Plus, Laura Dern???

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-viii-now-filming?cmp=smc%7C368071963&linkId=21276843

The amount of people on skellig. I thought there was a restriction, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

$$$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

$$$

Republic credits will do fine....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Republic credits will do fine....

An Episode 1 quote...burn him!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Myrddin wrote: »
    An Episode 1 quote...burn him!! :D

Who do you think you are, some kind of Jedi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

doubledown wrote: »

Unless Rey's training has been going for a few years. What was the gap between 4, 5 & 6? A couple of years between each?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Bacchus wrote: »
    Unless Rey's training has been going for a few years. What was the gap between 4, 5 & 6? A couple of years between each?

I think there was more of a gap between 4 and 5 than there was between 5 and 6. ROTJ mustbha e picked up fairly quickly from ESB given they went to rescue Han.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Fans will probably already know this site and the trailers, but it's the first I heard of it - googled it after seeing mention on F/B. https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiA3biDlfrKAhWFjQ8KHc0FBWsQFggjMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmoviepilot.com%2F&usg=AFQjCNGEZ_48QrO6yjo_h2B4c395CUvLRw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

:O wow, new clip of the Skywalkers on Skellig??? :eek:

Yeah 180 per day. The crew was well below that, though. About 100 I think.

In any case, it proved too restrictive in other ways for them, so the remainder of the island scenes are being shot at Ceann Sibéal and in Pinewood.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Guess the movie takes up straight after the end of TFA.

Either that or Rey spent a year doing her best Mrs Doyle "g'wan, g'wan, g'wan , g'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan .... TAKE THE BLOODY THING !!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

bilston wrote: »
    I think there was more of a gap between 4 and 5 than there was between 5 and 6. ROTJ mustbha e picked up fairly quickly from ESB given they went to rescue Han.

There was 3 years between ANH and ESB and a year between that and ROTJ.

Advertisement