Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,958 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well Johnson can hardly say anything else. The proof will be in the pudding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The ill informed nonsense he's responding to is getting a bit much in fairness.
    No filmmaker sets out to recreate something else.

These are the same ones that will complain that TLJ doesn't feel like Star Wars and it's too different. Bank on it.
    Professional whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

david75 wrote: »
    The ill informed nonsense he's responding to is getting a bit much in fairness.
    No filmmaker sets out to recreate something else.

These are the same ones that will complain that TLJ doesn't feel like Star Wars and it's too different. Bank on it.
    Professional whinging.

Here here!!

There are always going to be those that ONLY like the OT and will never accept anything else so will choose to berate anyone who tries to do something new in the universe but Star Wars has become something so much bigger than the OT even if those films are timeless.

I don't think any of the films since are as good either personally but i love the whole mythos and ethos of the Star Wars universe as a whole and will always welcome (unless it becomes overkill) new movies that explore it and see others try to put their spin on it even if it becomes a failure, at least they are trying and i love all the build up, rumors and anticipation before the release!

Make me cry then laugh then cry again why don't ye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

fixed link:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Not sure why they keep saying that IX will be out in May 2019 when the others were pushed out to Dec even though they both had original release dates of May.

Oh and a 78 year old Indiana Jones!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,147 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Amounts to it being 7 months early in my mind, but really did like the christmas release date for the Star Wars movies - I like the christmas event it had very quickly become. I liked having saga/anothology movie swapping each christmas.

However, my family are in the cinema business and I know cinemas weren't massive fans as basically every other movie avoided the cinema for weeks around the Star Wars movie - so apart from SW fans the christmas period suffered the last two years. The same effect could occur in May though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,453 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

py2006 wrote: »
    Oh and a 78 year old Indiana Jones!!

I'm not sure which is worse. That, or a Han Solo film without Han Solo.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

However, my family are in the cinema business and I know cinemas weren't massive fans as basically every other movie avoided the cinema for weeks around the Star Wars movie - so apart from SW fans the christmas period suffered the last two years. The same effect could occur in May though.

Totally off topic but how on Earth does a huge money making blockbuster getting a release in December/Christmas cause cinemas to suffer? To me, thats like saying, aside of this big bucket of cash we made over here we had a terrible month. Also, I don't understand why non-SW fans would avoid the cinema just because a movie they're not interested in is also out.

Not taking a shot at you, I'm taking you at face value that you're in the business so I'm genuinely interested to know the ins and outs of why cinemas see the SW releases as a bad thing and why cinema-goers stay away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Bacchus wrote: »
    Totally off topic but how on Earth does a huge money making blockbuster getting a release in December/Christmas cause cinemas to suffer? To me, thats like saying, aside of this big bucket of cash we made over here we had a terrible month. Also, I don't understand why non-SW fans would avoid the cinema just because a movie they're not interested in is also out.

Not taking a shot at you, I'm taking you at face value that you're in the business so I'm genuinely interested to know the ins and outs of why cinemas see the SW releases as a bad thing and why cinema-goers stay away.

He means other companies don't release THEIR films near Star Wars as they can't compete for bums in seats.

• Advertisement

Cinemas "suffer" because instead of making profit on showing a couple of "A" rated titles, they get to show only one and with the foreseeable future of Christmas being put by for Star Wars, that's going to continue for a while yet.

As for suffering, it's probably relative. As in the "bucket of money" could be bigger.

Such is our world today, where ever increasing profit is the only gauge of a so called "successful" business. Never mind that an ever increasing profit margin is a completely unrealistic goal.

Bacchus wrote: »

Others have answered with similar but from my own knowledge...

Force Awakens did brilliantly but Rouge One was only ok in the cinemas I am familiar with (a few of the bigger ones in the country) and the percentage the cinemas pay out of the ticket price on them is huge, and for a good few of the first weeks. With respect to Rogue One, it didn't do the stellar business that Force Awakens did but other distributors didn't want to put anything up against it for a good few weeks - so over christmas the choice was basically Star Wars or nothing/niche choices; and overall cinema attendance suffered as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Others have answered with similar but from my own knowledge...

Force Awakens did brilliantly but Rouge One was only ok in the cinemas I am familiar with (a few of the bigger ones in the country) and the percentage the cinemas pay out of the ticket price on them is huge, and for a good few of the first weeks. With respect to Rogue One, it didn't do the stellar business that Force Awakens did but other distributors didn't want to put anything up against it for a good few weeks - so over christmas the choice was basically Star Wars or nothing/niche choices; and overall cinema attendance suffered as a result.

Rogue One did brilliant business but even Disney themselves knew it wouldn't be on par with the numbers that TFA was making. Christmas release for it helped I reckon. The numbers may have died down quicker on a Summer release as people move on to see other movies rather than multiple viewings, and people who may not be a die hard SW fan may opt for some other blockbuster type of movie if it was up against it.

'Rogue One' made over a billion dollars, split roughly 50/50 between domestic and worldwide. The second highest grossing film of 2016, after 'Captain America: Civil War', which actually did worse in the US market, but made up the losses overseas.

In no universe is that not stellar business.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

py2006 wrote: »
    Not sure why they keep saying that IX will be out in May 2019 when the others were pushed out to Dec even though they both had original release dates of May.

The key difference this time from Disney's perspective is a certain Frozen sequel looming large over 'Holiday 2019'.

Tony EH wrote: »
    'Rogue One' made over a billion dollars, split roughly 50/50 between domestic and worldwide. The second highest grossing film of 2016, after 'Captain America: Civil War', which actually did worse in the US market, but made up the losses overseas.

Didn't do stellar business in the cinemas (big ones in Ireland) that I am familiar with.

Example. Force Awakes: Four sold out screens at midnight. Rogue One: Not one screen sold out.

Force Awakes was consistently sold out throughout the first two weeks, across multiple screens and many shows daily.

Rogue one did nowhere even close to the same business.

I really liked Rogue One and it deserved to do great business (that it did overall) but I know in Ireland across a number of cinemas it didn't do the business people hoped for.

Other films avoided Rogue One but it didn't do the business for the cinemas to offset the loss of other options.

Maybe on a case by case level in Ireland, some cinemas didn't do as well as others. As far as I know 'Rogue One' made about 3 mil over here. That's not too shabby by any means for our population size.

Of course, some cinemas will do better than others, but there are a number of factors involved in that, such as location and whether the locals bother going to the pictures at Christmas. I think as a nation we are (or at least were) big cinema goers, but I've always had the impression that we aren't that big on going to the cinema over the Christmas holidays, like other nations (especially America) are.

Also, 'The Force Awakens' enjoyed a hype and buzz that 'Rogue One' couldn't even compete with and despite being the much better film, was never going to repeat the ridiculous business that 'The Force Awakens' did. Few films could complete there. It's just unreasonable to expect such outcomes on a regular basis from a business perspective.

Where'd that 3 million figure come from lads?
    I heard it made a few hundred thousand in Ireland over its entire run.

For my part, off the top of my head. I read somewhere it made near that before it exited theatres.

I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Rogue One has now spent four weeks at the top of the Irish box office
    http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news/Rogue-One-has-now-spent-four-weeks-at-the-top-of-the-Irish-box-office/389237.htm
    Rogue One has now spent four weeks on top of the Irish box office with just under €3.5 million tallied so far.

• Advertisement

Ah right. I was reading the year end total. Which would have it open about 10 or 12 days.

That's not too bad 3 million. It's probably a huge number in per capita terms

Someone noticed that long shot of Rey training with the lightsaber and Luke looking down on her is actually reversed in the trailer. So they're coming out of the dark.

Can you imagine how the internet would have melted down if it played the right way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The key difference this time from Disney's perspective is a certain Frozen sequel looming large over 'Holiday 2019'.

Dear God, I'm an atheist but I'll convert if this doesn't come out with a song.

I think moving 9 to May is a sign of one of two things. They're either moving to 2 a year (unlikely) though it's possible the Obi Wan film comes after it but how far away from it? Or they're pumping the brakes and that'll be it for films for a few years. Also kind of unlikely but let's see.
    Nothing wants to go up against Star Wars. Cameron says Avatar 2 is coming Christmas 2020 apparently. Let's see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Tony EH wrote: »

What about in a galaxy far, far away? Sorry.

david75 wrote: »
    I think moving 9 to May is a sign of one of two things. They're either moving to 2 a year (unlikely) though it's possible the Obi Wan film comes after it but how far away from it? Or they're pumping the brakes and that'll be it for films for a few years. Also kind of unlikely but let's see.
    Nothing wants to go up against Star Wars. Cameron says Avatar 2 is coming Christmas 2020 apparently. Let's see.

I do think I remember hearing a quote recently that they will leave a bit of time (not a decade or something!) between Ep9 and whatever saga movie they plan on moving to after that is done. They will have their anothology movies in the intervening time.

Also, wasn't Last Jedi actually postponed to their December date - so arguably they are just leaving Ep9 in the spot they originally intended rather than them moving it around. If it had remained on the december schedule it wouldn't have hit til December 2019 - so the movie is coming out 7 months early by that reckoning.

I do think I remember hearing a quote recently that they will leave a bit of time (not a decade or something!) between Ep9 and whatever saga movie they plan on moving to after that is done. They will have their anothology movies in the intervening time.

Also, wasn't Last Jedi actually postponed to their December date - so arguably they are just leaving Ep9 in the spot they originally intended rather than them moving it around. If it had remained on the december schedule it wouldn't have hit til December 2019 - so the movie is coming out 7 months early by that reckoning.

It was never given an official release date until this very week and the move to may. It's a strange move cos they'd made Christmas their own but Han is coming may too I think so it makes sense.

And I'm all for 9 getting here sooner by the way :)

I just don't have much faith in Trevrrow but hopefully he brings his best to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's not really a move to May. The other two were supposed to come out in May as well before they were delayed. i think Disney are just sticking to their original plan, knowing full well that it will probably get pushed back as well. Studios are always getting directors/producers to commit to release dates and budgets that they know they can't meet. And when they miss them, the studio gains power over them. Unless you're Spielberg in which case you can just ignore them. Like, that Indy 5 release date is pie in the sky stuff and is proof that Disney is just picking these dates out of thin air.

• Advertisement

This is awesome. Trailer narrated by kylo instead of luke. And she has a red lightsaber

Advertisement