Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Inviere

Bow out of this thread, I must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Well, she just looks goofy. Her photos look like Jedi catalogue items from a costume shop.

More than likely these images are templates that will be combined and composited into a final design for the poster campaign.

The character stances are similar to the various exaggerated poses used in previous posters:

Star-Wars.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Exactly my thoughts. Looks like poses for the stacked actor / people pile format you see in most Star Wars posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Now i know who Snoke reminds me of.

hqdefault.jpg

Bill Nighy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

I've a sneaky suspicion where going to find out that Snoke is the same size as Plankton from Spongebob.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Its still clear that Hamill isn't happy with this new movie and the direction his character has gone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

He has specifically denied that. He's trying to promote the movie by saying its different and not what he or anyone is expecting but without spoiling where the story or Luke goes.

The film will have a different take on Luke. It has to. They tried to do wise old Luke in the earlier drafts of TFA and it didn't work and just distracted from the new characters. I'm expecting him to be like a drunken, washed up old samurai who re-learns via Rey what it means to be a Jedi again.

He has specifically denied that. He's trying to promote the movie by saying its different and not what he or anyone is expecting but without spoiling where the story or Luke goes.

The film will have a different take on Luke. It has to. They tried to do wise old Luke in the earlier drafts of TFA and it didn't work and just distracted from the new characters. I'm expecting him to be like a drunken, washed up old samurai who re-learns via Rey what it means to be a Jedi again.

I got the impression he got a behind the scenes spanking for stating publically that he told the director that he completely disagrees with what he is doing? And subsequently he is all praise for him and NOW agrees with his direction etc

May be I read it wrong

Some interesting publicity photos here. The headline says they are leaked, so avoid in case you may feel they are slightly spoilery. Although I am sure they will be officially released shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

py2006 wrote: »
    Some interesting publicity photos here. The headline says they are leaked, so avoid in case you may feel they are slightly spoilery. Although I am sure they will be officially released shortly.

This was already posted. Its even still on the same page.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    This was already posted. Its even still on the same page.

Oops, these ones are still up though...

That big long breakdown post in spoilers I posted above outlines pretty well how luke could go and explain quite clearly how Hamill is unhappy with where they've taken luke in the writing. Personally i hope it happens exactly as in that breakdown and then luke comes back to redeem himself and even sacrifice himself in 9. Perfect arc for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Think Paul Newman in The Colour of Money and I'd say Mark Hamill's older Luke will be something similar.

There's a theory that never crossed my mind. Would explain Kylos Vader obsession. And we could have Luke facing off against Snoke to have the 'I am your father' reveal all over again.

darth-vader.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

DFwgiKgXsAE3ZHL.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

But didnt luke burn darth vaders body at the end of return of the jedi ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

ricero wrote: »
    But didnt luke burn darth vaders body at the end of return of the jedi ?

Yes he did, so the Vader helmet & Snoke makes no sense whatsoever.

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Vader having good left in him, finally turning from the Dark Side at the end of VI is the whole point of the original trilogy ending. Anything that conflicts with that would be ridiculed by fans, & to make Snoke turn out to be Vader would be insanity. Personally I'd like Snoke to have a Plageuis connection, to tie the prequels into all this.

Lithium93_ wrote: »

You saw a fire. You didn't see the body burn. And they've been mining the old EU. Number of ways it could be either the spirit of Vader or even Palpatine. His ghost lingers on Endor in one of the old books. And Vader was in the early story for TFA to be talking to kylo through the force. But it's actually snoke playing with his mind to control him.

Just a fun theory. Id be ready for anything to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

david75 wrote: »
    You saw a fire. You didn't see the body burn. And they've been mining the old EU. Number of ways it could be either the spirit of Vader or even Palpatine. His ghost lingers on Endor in one of the old books. And Vader was in the early story for TFA to be talking to kylo through the force. But it's actually snoke playing with his mind to control him.

Just a fun theory. Id be ready for anything to be honest.

That's a dreadful theory. That would be horrible!

• Advertisement

Everything is on the table until we see the film. Turns out Luke didn't actually burn the body. Just the suit.

"After his death, Anakin became one with the Force. Luke escaped the Death Star II, where Anakin had died, just before the space station was destroyed by the Rebel Alliance. Once on Endor, Luke built a funeral pyre and lit his father's empty armor on fire."

Vaders spirit talking to Kylo was one of the early ideas for TFA. They even had concept art for a burned ruined version of him. It's in the Art of TFA book. It was thought after that that it was Snoke putting it all in Kylos head to control him and bring him further to the dark side or to control him.

Concept art. And while description in the link. It was thought having Anakin in there would make the story too busy and give too much indication that Rey was a Skywalker.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXntDKevC1gStOOm2eb5I9p8cJLa2483IT3BGguLm6D2VXmhaX

In the book, Force Awakens concept artist Iain McCaig explains both the reason Anakin Skywalker was considered for Star Wars 7 as well as the why he was ultimately cut:

“When you light a candle, you also cast a shadow.’ That inspired me to propose, for the first time, that Anakin’s ghost could come back […] If we see Anakin Skywalker, because he does flow back and forth between Darth Vader and Anakin, let’s see him as a character with a dark and light side. The reason Luke is this whole new entity is because he was the first to acknowledge his own dark side — that it was not separate from him.”

However, the book doesn’t just include mention of Anakin’s shifty Force ghost, McCaig also supplied the authors with design images that reveal how Hayden Christensen might have looked in the movie.

As the images show, McCaig’s team developed a few different iterations of Anakin Skywalker’s Force ghost – both a haunting half-Anakin, half-Vader hybrid as well as a relatively straightforward depiction of the character as he was seen in Episode 1 -3 (until becoming Darth Vader) and the epilogue to Episode 6 (in which Christensen eventually replaced original Anakin actor Sebastian Shaw).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

david75 wrote: »
    Everything is on the table until we see the film. Turns out Luke didn't actually burn the body. Just the suit.

"After his death, Anakin became one with the Force. Luke escaped the Death Star II, where Anakin had died, just before the space station was destroyed by the Rebel Alliance. Once on Endor, Luke built a funeral pyre and lit his father's empty armor on fire."

Except for the 6 billion Disney paid for LucasFilm. There's not a hope in hell that Disney are gonna risk fúcking this trilogy up with some crazy theory about Vader being Snoke. It doesn't even make any sense. Anakin redeems himself, we see him as a force ghost projecting the appearance of a Jedi, not a Sith. He manages to fall again to the Darkside while dead?!

Disney played it safe with TFA, they aren't about to open the shark pen just yet. There will be some twist involving Snoke (perhaps a connection to Plageus the Wise), but it won't be a John McEnroe moment or completely off the wall.

6 billion, David. They want to make their money back.

It was $ 4 billion. And theyve actually already made it back.

And Plageuis being Snoke is a fairly ridiculous notion and been shot down repeatedly by Hidalgo and Other story group members.

Plus there are no plans for any more saga films after episode 9. Vader is a huge draw. Like it or not. Would make sense to bookend the three trilogies with him involved somehow. It's unlikely of course but maybe not as unlikely as all that.

The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural n all that :)

Falthyron wrote: »
    There's not a hope in hell that Disney are gonna risk fúcking this trilogy up with some crazy theory about Vader being Snoke. It doesn't even make any sense. Anakin redeems himself, we see him as a force ghost projecting the appearance of a Jedi, not a Sith. He manages to fall again to the Darkside while dead?!

Precisely, it'd make a mockery of the original trilogy ending, cause enormous fan backlash, and plain just makes no sense considering the above. It won't happen.

This is brilliant. And packed with everything we know. So pure spoilers.

There's a useful in-progress google doc compilation of credible TLJ rumors that was recently posted on reddit: The Last Jedi Rumor Board (link https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d-tEqij3BxLxhgwpMbforichteTPTMoP8OTjDCKrZJc/edit )

It's well-organized with a table of contents, headers, photos, and sources, and there's a team of editors keeping it up to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Inviere wrote: »
    Vader having good left in him, finally turning from the Dark Side at the end of VI is the whole point of the original trilogy ending. Anything that conflicts with that would be ridiculed by fans, & to make Snoke turn out to be Vader would be insanity. Personally I'd like Snoke to have a Plageuis connection, to tie the prequels into all this.

This would be fantastic, and I think the writers thought so too, but unfortunately cos all this was theorized by fans on the net , they won't go this way.

Pity, the community on the net makes great reading , but can ruin potential great storylines.

This would be fantastic, and I think the writers thought so too, but unfortunately cos all this was theorized by fans on the net , they won't go this way.

Pity, the community on the net makes great reading , but can ruin potential great storylines.

It's likely not Plageuis, but if it were, they'd have to publicly shoot it down at this early stage to keep the secret. Could Snoke have been a second apprentice of Plageuis perhaps, someone who Palpatine wasn't aware of? There's loads of possibilities really

• Advertisement

Plageuis was killed by Palpatine so it can't be him either. They have said Snoke is simply a new creature. How much back story if any, they give him remains to be seen. Be cool if they did though.

Advertisement