Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Inviere wrote: »
    It's likely not Plageuis, but if it were, they'd have to publicly shoot it down at this early stage to keep the secret. Could Snoke have been a second apprentice of Plageuis perhaps, someone who Palpatine wasn't aware of? There's loads of possibilities really

I hope they eventually link the prequels either way, I get the impression they are trying to ignore them - this might please most fans but I think the prequels had their moments - in fact EPIII as a standalone film was fantastic (ok some dodgy dialogue and CGI)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Inviere

david75 wrote: »
    Plageuis was killed by Palpatine so it can't be him either.

Ah but of that, we only have a story (unlike us seeing Vader die & being burned). Also, Plagueis was "so powerful and so wise, he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create...life"...so all kinds of possibilities arise. Is it possible that someone could be that powerful, they could reincarnate themselves by manipulating the force while being a "force ghost"? Also, it's only heavily suggested in the film that Palpatine is the apprentice who killed Plageuis, what if he wasn't? I'm sure the novels clarify this, but Disney might not follow suit.
    I hope they eventually link the prequels either way, I get the impression they are trying to ignore them - this might please most fans but I think the prequels had their moments - in fact EPIII as a standalone film was fantastic (ok some dodgy dialogue and CGI)

Same here, they were a hugely wasted opportunity...but they're still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Inviere wrote: »
    Ah but of that, we only have a story (unlike us seeing Vader die & being burned). Also, Plagueis was "so powerful and so wise, he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create...life"...so all kinds of possibilities arise. Is it possible that someone could be that powerful, they could reincarnate themselves by manipulating the force while being a "force ghost"? Also, it's only heavily suggested in the film that Palpatine is the apprentice who killed Plageuis, what if he wasn't? I'm sure the novels clarify this, but Disney might not follow suit.

Same here, they were a hugely wasted opportunity...but they're still there.

Yes the novel clarifies and is an excellent read actually.
    I know it's not Canon - yet anyway, but James Luceno has written other Canon novels and would not surprise me if this one was eventually canonised.
    Of course this still doesn't link Plagueis to Snoke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

We have to remember it's the Skywalker saga, and being branded as that, the grand Star Wars story. if Rey is just some random girl, and Snoke is some nobody that seized power, that would make absolutely no sense.

There will be ties. Just what form they take will be the thing. The prequels are a while generations Star Wars and they have their fans. Just as a new generation of kids has Rebels as their Star Wars.

I hate huge spoilers via actors not thinking before they speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I hate huge spoilers via actors not thinking before they speak.

Then ignore said actors, simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

The build up to this is great and reminds me of the time after Star Wars waiting on Empire in that nobody has a clue where the story might go or what will happen to the characters.

Unlike the Prequels which was supposed to be about the fall of the Jedi and the rise of Darth Vader and the Empire. Instead we ended up with 2.5 movies of irrelevant exposition talking gobbledygook where we sat in in cinema repeating 'are we there yet? are we there yet?, then the whole story played out in the last 30 minutes of ROTS.

Jack Thorne to write Star Wars: Episode IX
    #StarWars #EpisodeIX

http://makingstarwars.net/2017/08/jack-thorne-write-star-wars-episode-ix/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Jack Thorne to write Star Wars: Episode IX
    #StarWars #EpisodeIX

http://makingstarwars.net/2017/08/jack-thorne-write-star-wars-episode-ix/

Re-write would be better phrasing. Treverrow already wrote his draft and it is either being scrapped or edited by Thorne for whatever reason. I don't rate Treverrow, so either alarm bells were going off in the Kennedy Office or Carrie Fisher's death and subsequent changes to VIII precipitated a revamp.

Falthyron wrote: »
    Re-write would be better phrasing. Treverrow already wrote his draft and it is either being scrapped or edited by Thorne for whatever reason. I don't rate Treverrow, so either alarm bells were going off in the Kennedy Office or Carrie Fisher's death and subsequent changes to VIII precipitated a revamp.

9 was written. It was to put Leia front and center. They're doing a rewrite with this guy. He did this is England. A pretty intense immersive series with well drawn and developed characters if I remember. I'd say this is good news.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Rewrites by another writer are the norm on big studio product, so I wouldn't be getting worried just yet. What happened with Johnson – no re-writes or re-shoots – is not typical of how things usually go. There's nothing in their filmography to suggest that Trevorrow and Connolly were going to be able to write this by themselves.

Star Wars live action tv series here we come

Disney Pulls Out Of Deal With Netflix, Plans to Launch Their Own Streaming Service in 2019

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2017/08/disney-pulls-out-of-deal-with-netflix.html?m=1

000263241hr.jpg?w=669
    000263246hr.jpg?w=669
    000263249hr.jpg?w=669
    000263243hr.jpg?w=669
    000263250hr.jpg?w=669
    000263248hr.jpg?w=669
    000263244hr.jpg?w=669
    ep8-ff-000871.jpg?w=669
    000263251hr.jpg?w=669
    000263242hr.jpg?w=669

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

ET is in this? Cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Bacchus wrote: »
    ET is in this? Cool.

Been in star wars before:

Rumours that Luke will have Anakin/Vader's crimson red kyber crystal on a necklace in the new film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oebRr8aXPQY

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Rumours that Luke will have Anakin/Vader's crimson red kyber crystal on a necklace in the new film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oebRr8aXPQY

It's a cool idea but it doesn't really work with what they've established in the canon now about the crystals. They're now sposed to be kind of sentient and respond to the owners intent almost. So green or blue or even white for Jedi but if taken by a dark side user they're corrupted and bleed red.
    Luke isn't Sith so it wouldn't stay red if he owned it for any time.

Another theory is Kylos saber is all fvcked up cos he's stolen Luke's saber and damaged the crystal that's why it's all screwed up.

But the book perfect weapon suggests that Kylo actually has Vaders saber and has made his own from it. So who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Those penguins look ridiculous

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote: »
    Those penguins look ridiculous

The porgs? They're worth about a billion on their own in merchandise:)

The porgs? They're worth about a billion on their own in merchandise:)

I dunno man...ewtljchewyporg_large.jpg

I think they're adorable :)

There's another pic out there of chewie with a feather in his mouth. Perhaps he eats them:) in the articles above it says it seems they get all over the place inside the falcon and have him all frustrated.

An image from an upcoming kids book, notice the creatures on the bottom left

L6s2wj8ErQ_Hc_AqO0NK1_fQJUc_VDUtsMMzhUp_iNI.jpg

Looks similar to a sketch done on starwarsnewsnet

Sea-Creature-768x964.jpg

Which in turn could be what we see here:

dayGArL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,453 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

py2006 wrote: »
    ewtljchewyporg_large.jpg

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

Deadly

Breznican's latest is out. Here's a bit of a biggie: "The young man once known as Ben Solo has now fully fallen to the Dark Side, just as Darth Vader, Leia’s father, did a generation before." http://ew.com/movies/2017/08/10/star-wars-last-jedi-leia-organa-carrie-fisher/

Fully gone, eh?

Tony EH wrote: »
    You've got to be fucking kidding me.

Im guessing from here without even seeing it that the porgs are basically there for the kids to balance off what sounds like a really really dark and tense movie.

Chewie eats porgs.

Very on the nose use of the character :)

https://twitter.com/breznican/status/895677369905590272

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,453 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Im guessing from here without even seeing it that the porgs are basically there for the kids to balance off what sounds like a really really dark and tense movie.

And, frankly, that's going to suck balls.

Kids can deal with dark and tense. They don't need to be talked down to and given furbies to make everything seem ok.

That picture has all the hallmarks of a very bad omen.

• Advertisement

It's a cool idea but it doesn't really work with what they've established in the canon now about the crystals. They're now sposed to be kind of sentient and respond to the owners intent almost. So green or blue or even white for Jedi but if taken by a dark side user they're corrupted and bleed red.
    Luke isn't Sith so it wouldn't stay red if he owned it for any time.

Or Luke just has the crystal cause sentimental reasons, well that's my take on him having it on a necklace.

Advertisement