Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Tony EH wrote: »
    And, frankly, that's going to suck balls.

Kids can deal with dark and tense. They don't need to be talked down to and given furbies to make everything seem ok.

That picture has all the hallmarks of a very bad omen.

We know you're gonna hate it no matter what and will take any opening you can. Wait til you see it though maybe. It might just be great ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,453 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The only Star Wars films I hate are the prequels, for reasons that should be obvious to anyone over 10 years of age.

This "porg" bollocks is just this generation's Ewok. A bid for toy production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

david75 wrote: »
    We know you're gonna hate it no matter what and will take any opening you can. Wait til you see it though maybe. It might just be great ?

Conversely, the same could be said that you will find the film awesome and amazing. Every piece of information you have provided about The Last Jedi has a positive spin.

Personally, the 'Furby' creature is this generation's Ewok and will be the big money spinner. The big eyes is a Disney trademark at this stage. Hopefully, they aren't annoying and have limited screen time except for that one kids joke to make children buy them.

If this doesn't happen in the film, I'll want my money back.

DF1GYBNXsAE-3dP.jpg:large

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I dunno but Johnson insists they aren't like Ewoks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's not like Disney wouldn't know the pitfalls of babying the audience, what with the precedent of the Ewoks and JarJar. They're well used to weaponising cuteness in any case, so even if these Porgs are obvious cute bait, if anyone cane make them work its Disney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Inviere

Fully gone, eh?

For me, I felt that was firmly established in the previous film when he killed Han. The light hue changing from bright to red in that scene as it progressed was very telling

Falthyron wrote: »
    Conversely, the same could be said that you will find the film awesome and amazing. Every piece of information you have provided about The Last Jedi has a positive spin.

Personally, the 'Furby' creature is this generation's Ewok and will be the big money spinner. The big eyes is a Disney trademark at this stage. Hopefully, they aren't annoying and have limited screen time except for that one kids joke to make children buy them.

Wouldn't say that. I wanted to love rogue one so much and it didn't land for me at all. I'm thinking TLJ is going to do something similar and be too much of a strike out to a new direction within the established frame of star wars and how it works.

All I need is a compelling story though. And the line being pushed is we're all going to be shocked. Let's see :) you can only push that out so far before you lose people. Stuff like porgs though Doesnt bother me at all. I wouldn't say they're a component as important to the story as ewoks were to ROTJ.

Inviere wrote: »
    For me, I felt that was firmly established in the previous film when he killed Han. The light hue changing from bright to red in that scene as it progressed was very telling

Good point. I wonder if that affects how useful he is to Snoke? Who only wanted him cos he had both the light and dark side in him and presumably that torment was what he wanted from him? Can't wait to find out what that guys motivations are.

Canto Bight looks really familiar. Both like Jabbas Palace and something on Naboo or Coruscant

img_5867-jpg.38177

img_5868-jpg.38178

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's a users-only forum david75, we can't see those pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Good point. I wonder if that affects how useful he is to Snoke? Who only wanted him cos he had both the light and dark side in him and presumably that torment was what he wanted from him? Can't wait to find out what that guys motivations are.

Ah, no. Snoke wanted him cos he is from a powerful line of Jedi, and was conflicted. Now that he has killed his father, the dark side of the force has grown in him. He is becoming a more powerful Sith presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/895767035791134720
    More stuff is coming, that's the nature of the beast. But I fully endorse avoiding everything you can from now till December!

The hype train for Star Wars: The Last Jedi slowly rolling down the tracks, maybe time to unsubscribe from this thread to stay surprised for December.

Feck sorry. I need my laptop back. Here ye go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

DHBVFdMXgAAV58u.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Not convinced that is genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Unless they are just in to get slaughtered en mass, I'm genuinely not sure how they'd add anything of value to the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Why weren't they all over the place when Rey was on skellig at the end of TFA

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote: »

Marketing was still in RnD mode... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

:rolleyes:

ads20101 wrote: »
    Unless they are just in to get slaughtered en mass, I'm genuinely not sure how they'd add anything of value to the movie.

The only value they add is toy marketing and I'll bet it was a an order issued straight from Disney merchandising. Not that Star Wars never had toys to be marketed before. But like Ewoks, these are just such bottom tier marketing efforts, it's just sickening. Small children and women everywhere will be cooing over them, "porg" will be a household name and I bet it won't even be mentioned in the film once.

*puke*

I hope to christ they're just in it for a second. But that pic posted earlier shows Chewie flying around in the MF and one of them on board. So, it could mean that they've...ugh..."adopted" one.

SMH.

py2006 wrote: »

They kinda are if you look close when she's walking up the steps there's loads of puffins shooting past in the background in a good few shots.

They're just incorporating them into the film. Johnson said as much that the puffins were ubiquitous but also an inspiration.

They'll be a comedic aside with chewie being cranky with them. Not part of the story. I'm gonna Untwist the knickers :)

Snoke. Well. In action figure form. He's real tall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Tony EH wrote: »
    And, frankly, that's going to suck balls.

Kids can deal with dark and tense. They don't need to be talked down to and given furbies to make everything seem ok.

That picture has all the hallmarks of a very bad omen.

Tony your crusade against anything not absolutely dark and grim in Star Wars really is remarkable. :pac: Okay, we get it, Star Wars should be all about murder, war, and death...

But the reality is Star Wars is a fantasy adventure, a family one at that. It was so popular because it mixed the comedy and light hearted elements with the dangerous ones seamlessly.

Those porgs or whatever couldn't be anymore star wars-y if they tried. Pure Frank Oz buzz off them. Okay, I'm not a kid anymore, and so I understand they're not aimed at me, but I love the fact they haven't lost their way and aren't pandering to the previous generation who've grown up and now want Star Wars replicated in what's currently vogue in cinema at the moment; dark and edgy.

There is a fine line between dark, adult, edgy, complex (Trade Embargo) and comic relief, commercial exploitation, 'down with the kids' (Jar Jar Binks) and its called The Phantom Menace.

If we accept the family adventure, kids angle, then you have to accept Jar Jar Binks levels of stupidity. Binks was there for the kids, nothing else. At the same time, kids aren't going to understand political intrigue and trade embargoes, so if that is for the adults then so be it. Both are the polar extremes of respective categories (adults and kids) and failed horribly: Jar Jar was too much in your face and the whole premise for the 'war' in Star Wars The Phantom Menace was a little far fetched. Hopefully the Furbies will have a very minor role or are done tastefully. Either way, guess what the number one gift will be for Xmas?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This may be a silly thing to suggest in these days of relentless pre-release deconstruction of family blockbusters, but... can we at least wait to see the damn cutesie sci-fi birds in context before drawing any definitive conclusions? :pac:

This may be a silly thing to suggest in these days of relentless pre-release deconstruction of family blockbusters, but... can we at least wait to see the damn cutesie sci-fi birds in context before drawing any conclusions? :pac:

This is the internet. Speculation is fact, rumour is truth, cynicism is rife, and anonymity is license to troll. :pac:

Seriously though, people talked shabout the practicality of Kylo's saber when it was revealed. I don't see why we can't tear the Furbies apart based on a couple of screenshots and a questionable piece of box art. Now, who here thinks the Furby would explode if shot by a blaster, or just fall over? :p

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Tony your crusade against anything not absolutely dark and grim in Star Wars really is remarkable. :pac: Okay, we get it, Star Wars should be all about murder, war, and death...

It's more a crusade against bottom tier marketing ploys than "anything not absolutely dark and grim". Porgs are toy merch. Nothing more.

When I see something like that in any film, it's hard not to be cynical about it.
    .ak wrote: »
    ...what's currently vogue in cinema at the moment; dark and edgy.

Is it? I usually see frivolus nothingness in most of the Hollywood product. Everybody has their quip ready. Nobody cares what happens to them. Everything's grand. Hey, a funny line!!! I'm being entertained cos I can laugh at the funny line!

Advertisement