Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭conorhal

The original Star Wars also recycled a load of tropes -- they jut happened to be cribbed from samurai films and 1953s matinees, and WWII movies.

When you're recycling the recycled however it begins to feel pretty tired.

There is a difference between homage, and the subtle repitition of tropes to create an emotional resonance and ... well.. cutting and pasting the whole plot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Johnson was reportedly told 'you know where we left off. Here's where the thing has to end. You write the rest and do whatever you want to. So luke is going to train Rey. Or will he? Kylo is the bad guy out to get them and capture Rey and destroy Luke. Or will he? And the other characters will be running around the galaxy on their missions and facing their own adversities.

Sounds like empire strikes back for sure. But all the signs point to him completely subverting and inverting all of those tropes and expectations. In his own words 'yeah. Of course I've spent the last three years of my life remaking empire'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I havr faith it will be good. The Force Awakens was really good, despite rehashing things a bit too much.

Rogue One was reasonabky original and I didnt much enjoy it. Script/ direction aside, rewatched it last week and the CGI still makes me shudder.

conorhal wrote: »
    When you're recycling the recycled however it begins to feel pretty tired.

There is a difference between homage, and the subtle repitition of tropes to create an emotional resonance and ... well.. cutting and pasting the whole plot.

What's that thing about there only being 6 types of story in the whole world that you can tell?
    But if you think force awakens was a cut and paste you weren't watching it. Reys totally reluctant and doesn't want to take part. She wants to sit and stay and wait for her family. That's the total opposite of luke who wants to get off tattooine and go on adventures and get away from his family. Their stories don't match up at all other than having a motivating factor forced on them. And they even behave totally differently after that.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I havr faith it will be good. The Force Awakens was really good, despite rehashing things a bit too much.

Rogue One was reasonabky original and I didnt much enjoy it. Script/ direction aside, rewatched it last week and the CGI still makes me shudder.

Would a cgi obi wan /Guinness force ghost bother you in TLJ? Tarkin didn't bother me. I loved that they went there. That sort of effort is how things change and improve. And Lucasfilm are the originators and leaders of that craft to be fair to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,452 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

david75 wrote: »
    A tank in the modern day warfare setting doesn't look all that different from a tank from World War Two. Star Wars has a very defined design language across all its assets including or maybe especially ships and vehicles. That's not lack of creativity. That's sticking to the established aesthetic.

In the 30 years from WWI to the end of WWII aircfraft went from wooden framed, canvas covered bi planes to the Me262 jet. In the 10 years from 1935 to 1945, German panzer development saw the evolution of the PzKpfw I to the PzKpfw VI B. Machines that are barely recognisable as the same lineage.

This is all by the by. What's disapointing here is the obviously recycling of ideas, poached from the originals. It's just a 2.0 of everything, Death Star 2.0, X-Wing 2.0, TIE Fighter 2.0, AT-AT 2.0. People were really hoping for some fresh approaches.

There were AT-AT's in the original sequel, so there's AT-AT's in this sequel.

It's just coming across as tired and lazy, tbh.

Would a cgi obi wan /Guinness force ghost bother you in TLJ? Tarkin didn't bother me. I loved that they went there. That sort of effort is how things change and improve. And Lucasfilm are the originators and leaders of that craft to be fair to them.

I think it was horrible. Leia aswell makes my skin crawl. A force ghost may be ok as they will not be expected to be photo realistic, but i'd rather they stay away from it altogether tbh.

It would be far, far preferable if it is a CGI obi wan/Guinness than having Hayden return and the force ghost malarkey would help disguise things a little.

Tarkin in 'Rogue One' made sense. He'd have to be present at some stage. However, as impressive as the CGI was in that film, the producers overplayed their hand. It could fool the audience in some shots. But, in others, they lingered too long and killed the illusion. It was a great effort. Just over done in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I would love to see Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan - feel they really need to link the prequels to this trilogy.

I fear though they are ignoring the prequels, wouldn't surprise me if they de canonised them and re made them.

/\

But that would be just silly.

Kenobi's force ghost (a really bad idea in the first place) was Alec Guinness in the OT. Why would it be McGregor now?

A McGregor Obi Wan has nothing to do with Luke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

My prediction: Rey's friends are captured by Kylo and The First Order. She goes to save them. To prevent them being executed Rey surrenders to Kylo to be brought before Snoke. The film ends with her leaving with Kylo and her friends vowing to come back and save her (Episode IX). However, Rey's decision to surrender is Luke's idea. He believes she must understand both sides of the Force. So she goes to Snoke willingly to learn about the Darkside and kill Snoke at the right moment - as was Luke's plan with Kylo all along except he failed.

So, yeah. Cloud City to pull Rey in with the only wild card being that she intends to be captured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Tony EH wrote: »
    /\

But that would be just silly.

Kenobi's force ghost (a really bad idea in the first place) was Alec Guinness in the OT. Why would it be McGregor now?

A McGregor Obi Wan has nothing to do with Luke.

They would use good makeup to make Ewan to look like Alec Guinness .

In the 30 years from WWI to the end of WWII aircfraft went from wooden framed, canvas covered bi planes to the Me262 jet. In the 10 years from 1935 to 1945, German panzer development saw the evolution of the PzKpfw I to the PzKpfw VI B. Machines that are barely recognisable as the same lineage.

This is all by the by. What's disapointing here is the obviously recycling of ideas, poached from the originals. It's just a 2.0 of everything, Death Star 2.0, X-Wing 2.0, TIE Fighter 2.0, AT-AT 2.0. People were really hoping for some fresh approaches.

There were AT-AT's in the original sequel, so there's AT-AT's in this sequel.

It's just coming across as tired and lazy, tbh.

A tank is still recognisable as a tank. As a plane is still recognisable as a plane.
    If they wanted to meet your earlier point about it all being to sell toys they would have made totally new ships no? They got crap for that with the U wing in rogue one. How come it's a new ship that we then never see in the OT.

They simply can't win no matter what. Accused of laziness on one hand and breaking established design/canon on the other.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I think it was horrible. Leia aswell makes my skin crawl. A force ghost may be ok as they will not be expected to be photo realistic, but i'd rather they stay away from it altogether tbh.

It's likely we're getting a force ghost Yoda not Obi wan. But obi wan is the ace card and they're holding him back in the trilogy for something.

A tank is still recognisable as a tank. As a plane is still recognisable as a plane.
    If they wanted to meet your earlier point about it all being to sell toys they would have made totally new ships no? They got crap for that with the U wing in rogue one. How come it's a new ship that we then never see in the OT.

They simply can't win no matter what. Accused of laziness on one hand and breaking established design/canon on the other.

Merchandising aside, who builds the exact same tank design (30 years later!) when its inherent flaws were made abundantly clear in a previous battle? Its all becoming a little too predictable. Finn will have the genius idea to target one of the new AT-AT legs, at which point one of two things will happen:

A) The AT-AT collapses from wire wrapped around its legs, Empire Strikes Back + Luke style.

Or

B) The AT-AT has a new weapon to snip any cables or wires that restrict leg movement. Followed by a cheeky wink from the driver to all those 1980s film fans and he/she declaring: "Upgrades!". :pac:

Falthyron wrote: »
    My prediction: Rey's friends are captured by Kylo and The First Order. She goes to save them. To prevent them being executed Rey surrenders to Kylo to be brought before Snoke. The film ends with her leaving with Kylo and her friends vowing to come back and save her (Episode IX). However, Rey's decision to surrender is Luke's idea. He believes she must understand both sides of the Force. So she goes to Snoke willingly to learn about the Darkside and kill Snoke at the right moment - as was Luke's plan with Kylo all along except he failed.

So, yeah. Cloud City to pull Rey in with the only wild card being that she intends to be captured.

That's pretty much the supposed leaked storyline I posted a while back it's based on the again supposed leaked track names for the soundtrack. It's been debunked elsewhere but it wouldn't be a bad way for it to go. Rey going willingly to Snoke would be the ultimate opposite of empire. You'll still hear that complaint it's just a copy though.

Rey going willingly to Snoke would be the ultimate opposite of empire. You'll still hear that complaint it's just a copy though.

But its not though. If 95% of the film is a carbon (literally and metaphorically :pac: ) copy of Empire except for that pivotal moment where instead of throwing herself off some ledge, Rey says: "Fúck it, why not?", then its still poor. You could imagine the writers sitting around the table saying: "Ok, so we go with the 'Empire' template, but how do we mix it up?". Then Rian says: "What if Luke had said 'Sure, i'll go with you' instead of keeling over the edge?". That is weak because its a story based on 'What if'. Historical fiction of the Star Wars universe. :D

Luke will almost definitely turn up in the final set piece and wreck shop. Either at Leias behest or upon hearing or her death or capture.

Luke will almost definitely turn up in the final set piece and wreck shop. Either at Leias behest or upon hearing or her death or capture.

Yeah, I am curious to see how they handle Leia's absence for IX. Considering she was to have a pivotal role for IX, I wonder how much will change to address Carrie's death. Perhaps Leia's death will make Luke determined to save Kylo since he probably feels guilty for his fall.

But its not though. If 95% of the film is a carbon (literally and metaphorically :pac: ) copy of Empire except for that pivotal moment where instead of throwing herself off some ledge, Rey says: "Fúck it, why not?", then its still poor. You could imagine the writers sitting around the table saying: "Ok, so we go with the 'Empire' template, but how do we mix it up?". Then Rian says: "What if Luke had said 'Sure, i'll go with you' instead of keeling over the edge?". That is weak because its a story based on 'What if'. Historical fiction of the Star Wars universe. :D

Not specific to boards but kind of, we're writing off a film we haven't seen based on the fact we hated the last one cos it was an we think it's an unoriginal copy. I have a lot more faith in Johnson than that and been banging the drum that it's gonna be too different and that will be the complaint, ever since he was hired. I don't want it to be anything except for good. People are gonna find reasons to love or hate a thing no matter what. Can't judge just yet though.

Only 111 days to go tho :)

• Advertisement

Not specific to boards but kind of, we're writing off a film we haven't seen based on the fact we hated the last one cos it was an we think it's an unoriginal copy. I have a lot more faith in Johnson than that and been banging the drum that it's gonna be too different and that will be the complaint, ever since he was hired. I don't want it to be anything except for good. People are gonna find reasons to love or hate a thing no matter what. Can't judge just yet though.

I enjoyed The Force Awakens. Its a competently made film that was respectful to the Star Wars of old. It is a lot better than Attack of the Clones, and would be one of the best Star Wars films if A New Hope didn't exist. Therein lies the problem. The Force Awakens is solid and entertaining but its clear references to A New Hope makes it seem more like a soft reboot than a standalone that expands the lore of this enormous universe.

Perhaps The Force Awakens has woken us up to this idea of a 'soft reboot' and that is why seeing AT-ATs, Super Star Destroyers, similar tropes (Jedi training with Hermit on obscure planet), and locations (desert battle similar to Hoth and modern city like Cloud City) stand out as obvious 'homages' that they are. Even attributing the word 'homage' is a modest tag (for now), but it could easily be upgraded to soft reboot if the signs are pointing in that direction, which I think they are already.

I guess my key point is: Star Wars and its universe is massive. There is so much untapped potential and yet Disney can't seem to come up with new ideas. They are just building on existing ones.

Hell, they could have turned The Last Jedi into a detective film. Luke and Rey travelling the galaxy, looking for clues as to who Snoke is, digging deep into the mythology of The Force, discovering ancient sites, relics, and following in someone else's footsteps, all in the hope of leading to the big bad guy himself.

Del Toro is Lando 2.0. I bet ya! :D

That was brilliant. But fact is. If they'd made some new thing to fit modern tastes and so test screenings like the marvel films do, it would just be another bland action movie. In a sea of them.

It has to operate on a fixed structure. It is following a very established story. It is following that story. And that story is and has always been about family and legacy.

It's not about them "not winning". It's about the not trying. They're just throwing the same shit at the screen and hoping it's fine.

In any case, in a given arsenal there are many, many different types of machinery and equipment employed. Even if we do just take the German Army of WWII, they used an incredible variety of equipment and that was just over 5 years.

It would be nice to see different hardware, instead of just hitting the same beats from before.

'The Last Jedi' may still end up being great. Maybe the best of this new trilogy. It's just disapointing to see these, far too familiar, routes on offer though.

As far as the U-Wing is concerened, I was unaware of any crap Disney got. To me the U-Wing makes sense. It's a transport ship. Something like that would be needed to carry the team. Also, I found it refreshing that they DID use something new and not opt for something we saw before. It's silly to believe that a military force, either the Empire or the Alliance would be limited to just a few types of craft. It would, for instance, have been really poor to have them all fly X-Wings in that film, or use a YT freighter.

That's kind of my point about being disapointed that we're getting an AT-AT in 'The Last Jedi' and it's probably employed in that battle sequence we saw in the trailer. The one over ground that looks white.

It's just tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Merchandising aside, who builds the exact same tank design (30 years later!) when its inherent flaws were made abundantly clear in a previous battle? Its all becoming a little too predictable. Finn will have the genius idea to target one of the new AT-AT legs, at which point one of two things will happen:

A) The AT-AT collapses from wire wrapped around its legs, Empire Strikes Back + Luke style.

Or

B) The AT-AT has a new weapon to snip any cables or wires that restrict leg movement. Followed by a cheeky wink from the driver to all those 1980s film fans and he/she declaring: "Upgrades!". :pac:

In fairness to the Empire, who could have guessed the Rebels would have attached kilometre long towing cables to the back of their snowspeeders. It's the Star Wars equivalent to Batman's shark repellent spray that he always carried just in case !!

The real question is what sort of objects did snowspeeders tow that required them to be attached by the rear gunner ?

Yeah, I am curious to see how they handle Leia's absence for IX. Considering she was to have a pivotal role for IX, I wonder how much will change to address Carrie's death. Perhaps Leia's death will make Luke determined to save Kylo since he probably feels guilty for his fall.

I think she'll almost certainly be killed in a raid of some description. Like a planet or base on a planet blown up by a super gun. Possibly the thing that's slung underneath this -

ce05b3a42edc4ab032426926725658bd3b283246.jpg?mw=600

That spurs Luke into action of some kind, making him leave Kerry and get involved again.

I just hope they don't kill him off in some dumb and telegraphed way, like they despatched Solo.

I think originally, they were going to do that. Kill off Luke. But with Fisher's death, they have the "tragic loss", that they need for the mid section of a drama. Luke will probably die in IX and the new (and less interesting) generation will be there for later films.

I don't think this is the case David.

I think the majority of people that find fault with 'The Force Awakens', do so because there are a lot of faults with 'The Force Awakens' - unnecessarily so too. Sure, there are those who will bang on about any films simply to be contrary - those people and their arguments can be taken apart pretty easily though.

But, people with genuine arguments will usually make sense, even if they are disagreed with.

As far as Johnson is concerned, I can't say I'm overly familiar with him. I liked 'Looper' and saw his 'Breaking Bad' episodes. But that's all I've seen of his stuff. I have 'Brick' and 'May' knocking around, but haven't felt the compunction to watch either. I would be cautiously optimistic.

True, nobody can judge 'The Last Jedi' yet. But we can judge what we have seen so far and that's what a lot of folk are doing.

I enjoyed The Force Awakens. Its a competently made film that was respectful to the Star Wars of old. It is a lot better than Attack of the Clones, and would be one of the best Star Wars films if A New Hope didn't exist. Therein lies the problem. The Force Awakens is solid and entertaining but its clear references to A New Hope makes it seem more like a soft reboot than a standalone that expands the lore of this enormous universe.

Perhaps The Force Awakens has woken us up to this idea of a 'soft reboot' and that is why seeing AT-ATs, Super Star Destroyers, similar tropes (Jedi training with Hermit on obscure planet), and locations (desert battle similar to Hoth and modern city like Cloud City) stand out as obvious 'homages' that they are. Even attributing the word 'homage' is a modest tag (for now), but it could easily be upgraded to soft reboot if the signs are pointing in that direction, which I think they are already.

I guess my key point is: Star Wars and its universe is massive. There is so much untapped potential and yet Disney can't seem to come up with new ideas. They are just building on existing ones.

Hell, they could have turned The Last Jedi into a detective film. Luke and Rey travelling the galaxy, looking for clues as to who Snoke is, digging deep into the mythology of The Force, discovering ancient sites, relics, and following in someone else's footsteps, all in the hope of leading to the big bad guy himself.

Del Toro is Lando 2.0. I bet ya! :D

God, I hope not. :mad:

I think Disney are afraid to try anything new. They want to skirt around the issue and stick familiar stuff up, as they can be sure that most of their audience will breath a sigh of relief that it doesn't suck like the prequels and give it a pass.

That's, literally, how 'The Force Awakens' got by relatively unscathed, as it were. And yes, while it's competently made, it's far too safe and disapointingly poor in many respects. It just didn't hit the low point that the prequels have marked. But it's terribly unoriginal and unimaginative.

Abrams doesn't make original films. He magpies older stuff, glosses it over and repackages it. That's exactly what happened with his Star Wars film. It's exactly what happened with his Star Trek film. His only semi original thing was 'Super 8' and that was a riff on Speilberg. He gets those jobs because that's his MO. He's a poacher director.

Disney care about Star Wars only from a franchise POV. They want the IP to do well, because it creates a cha ching in till. 'Rogue One' was a bit of a risk in tone, but it was set in the Imperial period which is easily the most interesting period of the saga - so it's still relatively safe. OTOH, their 'Solo' film exists only because Han Solo is the most beloved character and IMO, that's a woefully safe option, despite the risk of having someone else play the part other than Ford. Their other options, Kenobi and Fett, are quite lamentable in their base concept, although I think the Kenobi one could work best out of any of their "character" films.

But it's all just too bloody fearful. As you say, "Star Wars and its universe is massive" - so expand on that Disney! Star Wars needs to get away from being so small minded. Take a leaf out of the EU's book and give us some original material.

'Rogue One' and the hiring of non-obvious directors gives me hope that there are people in the Mouse House that want to expand on ideas and "break new ground". But, the troubles in production that have been exposed show that things are being handled in a strange way. Lord and Miller were a dreadful option for a Star Wars film, from the very beginning, but at least Kennedy stepped in and put a halt on that before the damage was irrevocable. Unfortunately, I think that will put the shits up TPTB and we'll see "safer" directors being optioned in future, which is the worst possible outcome from the L+M debacle.

I like your idea about a Rey and Luke detective film. LOL. :pac:

Wedwood wrote: »
    In fairness to the Empire, who could have guessed the Rebels would have attached kilometre long towing cables to the back of their snowspeeders. It's the Star Wars equivalent to Batman's shark repellent spray that he always carried just in case !!

The real question is what sort of objects did snowspeeders tow that required them to be attached by the rear gunner ?

They haul "repulsor lift" cargo. So, material is put on a hovering platform and the craft tows it to where it needs to go.

The in-universe answer to that question is that the "snowspeeder" is actually just a bog standard hauler for atmospheric work. The don't originally come with guns. That's why the rebels were having trouble "adapting them to the cold".

The real reason is because it was in the script. :D

• Advertisement

I think she'll almost certainly be killed in a raid of some description. Like a planet or base on a planet blown up by a super gun. Possibly the thing that's slung underneath this -

ce05b3a42edc4ab032426926725658bd3b283246.jpg?mw=600

It's like the swinging dick of a destroyer.

Advertisement