Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Falthyron wrote: »
    Merchandising aside, who builds the exact same tank design (30 years later!) when its inherent flaws were made abundantly clear in a previous battle? Its all becoming a little too predictable. Finn will have the genius idea to target one of the new AT-AT legs, at which point one of two things will happen:

A) The AT-AT collapses from wire wrapped around its legs, Empire Strikes Back + Luke style.

Or

B) The AT-AT has a new weapon to snip any cables or wires that restrict leg movement. Followed by a cheeky wink from the driver to all those 1980s film fans and he/she declaring: "Upgrades!". :pac:

This one moves totally differently and apparently like a gorilla and can grab with it's arms/legs. That's a natural evolution in design.

And the first order are not the empire. They merely adapted some of their ideas and infrastructure as far as we know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

david75 wrote: »
    This one moves totally differently and apparently like a gorilla and can grab with it's arms/legs. That's a natural evolution in design.

And the first order are not the empire. They merely adapted some of their ideas and infrastructure as far as we know.

And the same known flaws? :P

And the same known flaws? :P

I doubt it. Have a look. This looks like it could cause serious trouble if it's as mobile or even agile as suggested

Tony EH wrote: »
    God, I hope not. :mad:

I think Disney are afraid to try anything new. They want to skirt around the issue and stick familiar stuff up, as they can be sure that most of their audience will breath a sigh of relief that it doesn't suck like the prequels and give it a pass.

That's, literally, how 'The Force Awakens' got by relatively unscathed, as it were. And yes, while it's competently made, it's far too safe and disapointingly poor in many respects. It just didn't hit the low point that the prequels have marked. But it's terribly unoriginal and unimaginative.

Abrams doesn't make original films. He magpies older stuff, glosses it over and repackages it. That's exactly what happened with his Star Wars film. It's exactly what happened with his Star Trek film. His only semi original thing was 'Super 8' and that was a riff on Speilberg. He gets those jobs because that's his MO. He's a poacher director.

Disney care about Star Wars only from a franchise POV. They want the IP to do well, because it creates a cha ching in till. 'Rogue One' was a bit of a risk in tone, but it was set in the Imperial period which is easily the most interesting period of the saga - so it's still relatively safe. OTOH, their 'Solo' film exists only because Han Solo is the most beloved character and IMO, that's a woefully safe option, despite the risk of having someone else play the part other than Ford. Their other options, Kenobi and Fett, are quite lamentable in their base concept, although I think the Kenobi one could work best out of any of their "character" films.

But it's all just too bloody fearful. As you say, "Star Wars and its universe is massive" - so expand on that Disney! Star Wars needs to get away from being so small minded. Take a leaf out of the EU's book and give us some original material.

'Rogue One' and the hiring of non-obvious directors gives me hope that there are people in the Mouse House that want to expand on ideas and "break new ground". But, the troubles in production that have been exposed show that things are being handled in a strange way. Lord and Miller were a dreadful option for a Star Wars film, from the very beginning, but at least Kennedy stepped in and put a halt on that before the damage was irrevocable. Unfortunately, I think that will put the shits up TPTB and we'll see "safer" directors being optioned in future, which is the worst possible outcome from the L+M debacle.

I like your idea about a Rey and Luke detective film. LOL. :pac:

There's this he difficulty though. How do you sell a film full of new characters in a massive universe to the general public and not have them going where's Vader? Is she Reys ma? Etc etc. They bungled the marketing with rogue one and it did well all the same.

But if you make a film with totally different characters in a different setting with no established or familiar settings or design or any of it, is it even Star Wars? It could be. But would people and I mean cinema going non super fan general public even get it?

They wouldn't.

It would be Star Trek.

They will get to that stuff. The franchise in Disney terms is only two films old. You do not start telling a totally different story this early into relaunching a beloved series. Everyone hardcore and general fan is alienated doing that. And they're rebuilding it in fact. They're building a new canon after having abolished the crazy and nonsensical expanded universe, although cherry picking good parts of it. . They definitely will get around to it tho. Count on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

When can we expect a trailer? A real one with some ideas as to the story, etc. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

When can we expect a trailer? A real one with some ideas as to the story, etc. :D

Mid-October, around the same time as the TFA trailer, I assume.

Ah jaysis. 24 terminal cancer patients around the world got to se TFA before it was released. JJ would call them just before they watched it. I hope it happens for this guy. Rian is the best

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/902246802975465472

This is actually Snokes mega star destroyer, the Supremacy. It's shaped like a giant wing. But hey. How unoriginal right? Just a call back to wing shaped ships in the prequels.

star-wars-mega-star-destroyer-The-Supremacy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

At this stage I wouldn't expect one until October. TFA full trailer wasn't out until about 2 months before the release so it could be the same for this.

Also another massive Disney property, Thor Ragnarok is out the last week of October... it could be tacked onto that, and out online a few days before that gets released?

Who knows :D

Either way, all I know is that I want to see it, but I also want to it to tell me nothing; like the trailers for the TFA

As part of force friday thing, topps trading cards released a new series of Last Jedi cards. Someone dropped the ball. The card titles give you the basic outline of the whole plot. It's out there. Beware spoilers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,449 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

This is actually Snokes mega star destroyer, the Supremacy. It's shaped like a giant wing. But hey. How unoriginal right? Just a call back to wing shaped ships in the prequels.

star-wars-mega-star-destroyer-The-Supremacy.jpg

Where does the First Order get the shillings for all this gear?

They've better stuff than the Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

As part of force friday thing, topps trading cards released a new series of Last Jedi cards. Someone dropped the ball. The card titles give you the basic outline of the whole plot. It's out there. Beware spoilers.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Topps/status/903553557747650561

Looks like they're denying they are spoilers and rather 'things we know from the trailer' - best avoided anyway I would say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I checked it. It gives a few hints, for sure, but not enough to spoil the film.

We don't want the 'Qui gons noble end' debacle again. Even a simple title on a soundtrack or even a card can tip the hand. Looks to me like Topps are back pedalling.

Where does the First Order get the shillings for all this gear?

They've better stuff than the Empire.

Snoke is said to live in extreme opulence too. You don't need money when you have a military. You just take what you need from where you need it.

Could be Snoke is from the Muun. They were the bankers/big money of the galaxy and Plageuis theory creeps in as he was one of them too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I presume many worlds & systems wouldn't necessarily welcome the downfall of the Empire; plenty of empires past and present have flourished under the pretence of repression and security, with its subjects not always wanting 'freedom'. I can imagine the First Order being bankrolled by those planets who'd prefer a stern hand at the tiller.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

dhggftf42bjz.jpg

py2006 wrote: »

Luke's x wing underwater in that top one. Intriguing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Rey is gonna have to levitate that **** out, a la Luke on dagobah.

Have to say, am excited at the prospect of older, wizened Luke.

Snoke is said to live in extreme opulence too. You don't need money when you have a military. You just take what you need from where you need it.

Could be Snoke is from the Muun. They were the bankers/big money of the galaxy and Plageuis theory creeps in as he was one of them too.

I think you might need a few bob to knock up a planet into a super weapon.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    I presume many worlds & systems wouldn't necessarily welcome the downfall of the Empire; plenty of empires past and present have flourished under the pretence of repression and security, with its subjects not always wanting 'freedom'. I can imagine the First Order being bankrolled by those planets who'd prefer a stern hand at the tiller.

Perhaps. But I get the impression that the FO were on the fringes of the galaxy tinkering away on the QT? They didn't want anybody knowing what they were up to? Especially the New Republic and Leia's rebellion resistance? It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible to channel money without being noticed by somebody.

I hope were not going to see some massive First Order fleet of brand new ships or something in 'The Last Jedi'. That just wouldn't make sense at all. Starkiller base stretched things too far, TBH. But, I could - just about - let it go as a secret, one shot, weapon that nobody knew about. But a fleet of ships etc, have to be built and that would take years.

It took 20 years for the Empire to build their fleet and their Death Stars. They had control of loads of systems and pretty much an endless supply of wealth.

I think you might need a few bob to knock up a planet into a super weapon.

Perhaps. But I get the impression that the FO were on the fringes of the galaxy tinkering away on the QT? They didn't want anybody knowing what they were up to? Especially the New Republic and Leia's rebellion resistance? It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible to channel money without being noticed by somebody.

I hope were not going to see some massive First Order fleet of brand new ships or something in 'The Last Jedi'. That just wouldn't make sense at all. Starkiller base stretched things too far, TBH. But, I could - just about - let it go as a secret, one shot, weapon that nobody knew about. But a fleet of ships etc, have to be built and that would take years.

It took 20 years for the Empire to build their fleet and their Death Stars. They had control of loads of systems and pretty much an endless supply of wealth.

THE imperial fleet was immense at the end of the OT and spread all over the galaxy. It's natural to assume a lot retreated and gathered together and just hid now that they were leaderless. Ensuing power srughles etc.

The new Thrawn book suggests he lead them in secret into the far reaches on the emperors command to find something. Not specified. It's a guess but the thinking is he was sent as emissary to bring something even more powerful back. And that is snoke. Few of the new canon books have set this up.

The further thinking is snoke is only the emissary of that power and that it has yet to appear. So let's see. They need to show that onscreen without having to have read or read off shoot books but they'll manage it.

Yeh. There's way, way too much being left to secondary material with this new Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

THE imperial fleet was immense at the end of the OT and spread all over the galaxy. It's natural to assume a lot retreated and gathered together and just hid now that they were leaderless. Ensuing power srughles etc.

The new Thrawn book suggests he lead them in secret into the far reaches on the emperors command to find something. Not specified. It's a guess but the thinking is he was sent as emissary to bring something even more powerful back. And that is snoke. Few of the new canon books have set this up.

The further thinking is snoke is only the emissary of that power and that it has yet to appear. So let's see. They need to show that onscreen without having to have read or read off shoot books but they'll manage it.

I wish I had your boundless faith David . They left us swinging in the wind with Force Awakens , where to have any clue as to why Leia was leading a "resistance" of 12 X-Wings against a resurgent Empire(First Order), we had to have read tie in novels . Given that despite this, Force Awakens still made bucketloads of cash, I cant see them changing tack, and fully expect to have to rely on this and other star wars threads/sites to fill in the blanks for me after I'm left baffled by Last jedi .

I wish I had your boundless faith David . They left us swinging in the wind with Force Awakens , where to have any clue as to why Leia was leading a "resistance" of 12 X-Wings against a resurgent Empire(First Order), we had to have read tie in novels . Given that despite this, Force Awakens still made bucketloads of cash, I cant see them changing tack, and fully expect to have to rely on this and other star wars threads/sites to fill in the blanks for me after I'm left baffled by Last jedi .

Yeah there was one scene edited out that would have explained it. Leia sends an envoy to the republic to say they've found proof the first order is about to act. The republic haven't believed her up to this point and she's kinda been run out as a trouble maker almost but they do give her small support anyways. The resistance isn't an officially sanctioned arm of the military just more like a squad and they're simply humouring her to get her to go away.

They didn't listen and they paid for it.

Would have been really simple to show that on screen in a scene or two. Sadly they chose not to but that's the backstory of it in the books.

So you have never been conviced to watch Rebels. Just watch this. Trailer for the final season starting October. Featuring Forest Whittaker reprising Saw Gererra etc and leadin all into rogue one. Looks amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

One of the Revells models of tie fighters from the movie has a Death Star on the box artwork.

And it's a different design than we've seen previously I'm told. Could Snoke have built a fleet of them? Id actually prefer that as more believable than engineering a planet to absorb an entire sun. Plus a fleet of Death Stars would be the ultimate in meta humour. Wonder if they'll have balls that big

• Advertisement

This is cool. Leias ship in the Last Jedi is called the Raddus. After the mon cal general in Rogue one :)

The-Raddus.jpg

The-Raddus-02.jpg

Advertisement