Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

This is what porgs will be doing in the last Jedi. You'll have to press play :)
    (This is from the official Star Wars instagram account btw)
    https://instagram.com/p/BYoBLfPBMf6/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Oh sweet Jesus

It gets better.
    From the upcoming empire magazine feature
    Ok. X-Wing. Star Destroyer. But what is that behind the Star Destroyers? Looks like there's some shadow covering it. Look familiar?

Hope it is a Death Star. Then all the whingers saying 'they're just copying. Empire!!' Will have to resort to and get stuck in the endless uninspired 'they've run out of ideas!' Irony loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Few hints being dropped on merchandise as well that indicate another Death Star.

After 3 previous successive Death Star failures, you have to give the Empire/First Order credit for perseverance. Question is can they finally build one that can't be destroyed by a single X Wing fighter?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

david75 wrote: »
    Hope it is a Death Star. Then all the whingers saying 'they're just copying. Empire!!' Will have to resort to and get stuck in the endless uninspired 'they've run out of ideas!' Irony loop.

Speculation on a low res photo but why poke the tiger on something that's demonstrably the most prominent star wars cliché? It was lazy when Jedi did it back in the 80s, it was more so when Abrams quadrupled down on the plot device 2 years ago. No franchise should have too many sacred cows and certainly no fan should be dismissed as a 'whinger' if they point out that Star Wars needs better threats than continual planet sized superweapons...

Higher res images show it to be either an asteroid or the front of Snokes ship the supremacy. Which is 1/3rd the size of a Death Star. Tbh I don't think super weapons will have any major part to play in this or the next film. Certainly not as a major part of the storyline. But fans will be fans and knickers will he twisted no matter what.

Could be the eclipse class star destroyer

Eclipse14.jpg?format=750w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,449 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Frankly, if it is another Death Star, then Kennedy, LFL, Disney and everyone involved will deserve every single bit of ire that it'll draw.

It won't need a Death Star to bring out the ire, the feeding frenzy of complaint doesn't even need that to get going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

hulrey8f3xjz.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It does look like the tail of the 'Eclipse class Star Destroyer'. Thankfully.

Read the article earlier. Nothing ground shaking in it though a few clues. This bit is supplementary to it

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/last-jedi-exclusive-rian-johnson-talks-snoke-kylo-ren/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Higher res images show it to be either an asteroid or the front of Snokes ship the supremacy. Which is 1/3rd the size of a Death Star. Tbh I don't think super weapons will have any major part to play in this or the next film. Certainly not as a major part of the storyline. But fans will be fans and knickers will he twisted no matter what.

Did someone appoint to in an official capacity as the e-protector of the Star Wars franchise? :confused:

Since before TFA you've been aggressively acting as if people are, for reasons unknown, going out of their way to nitpick and find fault with the franchise for the sake of it.

I've lost count of the amount of times you've said something along the bolded lines!

A lot of fans just want an original movie, many of them at this point for better or worse - just anything other than a lazy rehash of previous films or a film too wrapped up in fan service and homages to realize its potential.

I'd rather that TLJ tried and failed (or achieved mediocrity) in doing something fresh and progressive, rather than some half baked The Last Jedi Strikes Back.

In the home stretch. Yes :)

https://instagram.com/p/BYq2iyGhDo7/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Thanks for the 100 days notice sw but when are we getting the 2nd trailer?

It's been promised for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

It won't need a Death Star to bring out the ire, the feeding frenzy of complaint doesn't even need that to get going.

It's quite clear that you have already decided that you will love The Last Jedi before having seen it. You put a positive spin on everything that comes out about the film regardless of how it looks, i.e. another rehash of Empire. Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars; read novels, played the games, watched the films countless times, etc., but even I can see that the only thing that has me curious about TLJ is Luke's words: "Time for the Jedi to end". That is its saving grace from what I can see right now, whereas everything else, whether its toys, promo images, leaks, interviews, art, photos, suggest a strong sense of Empire. And that is not a good thing. Its lazy, and safe. With safe being far worse imo, particularly as this is a massive universe and they could do anything and still make a tonne of money because its Star Wars.

Force Awakens was a competent film. It was a lot better than the prequels, but it was a strong copy of A New Hope with the odd difference here and there. Rogue One was unnecessary. If there is something more than a whiff of Empire off Last Jedi then we can start predicting how Episode IX will play out and enter the realm of boredom.

Falthyron wrote: »
    It's quite clear that you have already decided that you will love The Last Jedi before having seen it. You put a positive spin on everything that comes out about the film regardless of how it looks, i.e. another rehash of Empire. Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars; read novels, played the games, watched the films countless times, etc., but even I can see that the only thing that has me curious about TLJ is Luke's words: "Time for the Jedi to end". That is its saving grace from what I can see right now, whereas everything else, whether its toys, promo images, leaks, interviews, art, photos, suggest a strong sense of Empire. And that is not a good thing. Its lazy, and safe. With safe being far worse imo, particularly as this is a massive universe and they could do anything and still make a tonne of money because its Star Wars.

Force Awakens was a competent film. It was a lot better than the prequels, but it was a strong copy of A New Hope with the odd difference here and there. Rogue One was unnecessary. If there is something more than a whiff of Empire off Last Jedi then we can start predicting how Episode IX will play out and enter the realm of boredom.

Hardly. Just trying to counter an endless negative 'this is going to be awful/unoriginal copy' posts we see here all the time. And those posts are in the majority by A long way if you look. I don't get writing a film off before we've seen it. I'm not saying it's gonna be wonderful either. I am however excited about it. There is a difference between the two things.

ads20101 wrote: »
    Thanks for the 100 days notice sw but when are we getting the 2nd trailer?

It's been promised for ages.

This month probably during Monday night football as with TFA and rogue one. Which Monday though? Who knows. Marketing has just kicked in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hardly. Just trying to counter an endless negative 'this is going to be awful/unoriginal copy' posts we see here all the time. And those posts are in the majority by A long way if you look. I don't get writing a film off before we've seen it. I'm not saying it's gonna be wonderful either. I am however excited about it. There is a difference between the two things.

But then there's an equally endless series of asides & insinuated insults towards people who don't share your unbridled excitement; they're certainly no more fun to read than 'endless' negative posts ;)

No pop culture should be impervious to criticism, and if the Star Wars franchise attracts a lot of it, well that comes with the territory of being the biggest SciFi franchise on the planet. You gotta take the rough with the smooth!

Star Wars: Force Awakens was a fun film.
    Star Wars: Force Awakens was a blatant retread of New Hope.

Those above two statements are not mutually exclusive concepts: neither opinions are literally or inherently negative opinions, neither one invalidates the other, and both are valid and ... I dunno, allowable?

You're a superfan David, and that's great! :) But don't dump on people or despair just because other folks see the cracks, or simply can't ignore them as easily as yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,608 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Trevorrow out for Episode IX: http://www.thewrap.com/colin-trevorrow-exits-of-star-wars-episode-ix/amp/

*excited yelp*

Someone at Disney finally watched Jurassic World and Book of Henry?

Can't say I'm sorry treverow is out. He's not a director you pick to follow Rian Johnson. Just too jarring

Here comes Edgar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,608 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I like to imagine Kathleen Kennedy keeps busts of the heads of all the directors the Star Wars franchise has now defeated.

I like to imagine Kathleen Kennedy keeps busts of the heads of all the directors the Star Wars franchise has now defeated.

With mickey mouse ears on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

JJ? Rian? Edgar? Spielberg?

It'll most likely be Ron Howard.

Release date to be pushed back will be the next announcement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Wow! Didn't see that coming but maybe I should have.

Hopefully they'll ask Johnson back but it's probably unlikely at this stage.

Maaaaan what a fvcked up time for them to do this. Right as the last Jedi marketing gets going!?

Godard for Episode IX.

Roar wrote: »
    JJ? Rian? Edgar? Spielberg?

It'll most likely be Ron Howard.

Release date to be pushed back will be the next announcement.

Nah they won't push it back. It's only in development. Something like 70% of Han has been reshot and it's still on course for its release date and they aren't changing that. They've what, two years til 9? They've loads of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Since Abrams all of the directors chosen have been new, up-and-coming, and (by extension) risky. Edwards needed help on Rogue One, the lads directing the Han Solo film have been replaced, and now Trevorrow is gone. I know Rian Johnson can also be considered up-and-coming, but perhaps he is the exception? Considering Kennedy went with Ron Howard to steer Han Solo to completion, I think she will play it safe with Episode IX's next director.

Zemeckis all the way :pac:

Advertisement