Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Johnson will be tied up with TLJ for the next few months and after that he has publicity to do. I'm not sure Disney will wait for him. They wouldn't wait for Abrams. It depends though where they are at with the script. If they are decided on the direction they might not need Johnson. Just get some TV or hack film director who will do as they are told. The Marvel model. But if they're stuck and need a new script then yeah they might give Rian first dibs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Id say one way or the other, they're unlikely to go for any director with even the smallest reputation of being trouble to work with; at stage you'd imagine they want someone who'll take orders, get the job done & ruffle as few feathers as possible.

OH.

Well I guess then the job is Ron Howard's to lose ... :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

Johnson will be tied up with TLJ for the next few months and after that he has publicity to do. I'm not sure Disney will wait for him. They wouldn't wait for Abrams. It depends though where they are at with the script. If they are decided on the direction they might not need Johnson. Just get some TV or hack film director who will do as they are told. The Marvel model. But if they're stuck and need a new script then yeah they might give Rian first dibs.

Its only a month since they hired a new writer - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-episode-ix-gets-a-new-writer-1026003

Don't think they're happy with the script or the way Colin was going.

A rewrite with Thorne and Johnson, push it out a few months, give the most important part of the new trilogy to the guy who is most proven (from what we know) - it all seems to line up.

I cant see them giving the job to a TV or hack film director like Marvel has done, that'd be like giving Infinity War to Alan Taylor, never going to happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Scans of the Empure article here if anyone's looking for it. That shot of Daisy though..

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/6y08by/empire_magazine_scans_for_the_last_jedi/

Is it safe to assume they already have the replacement locked before announcing this? They seemed to have with Han.

Rian Johnson only said in June when asked would he like to do another Star Wars film 'in a heartbeat.'

Just think how awesome Jedi might have been if Kersh had stayed on after empire.

RJ-I would do another SW film in a heartbeat. I've had the time of my life. '

• Advertisement

david75 wrote: »
    Is it safe to assume they already have the replacement locked before announcing this? They seemed to have with Han.

Rian Johnson only said in June when asked would he like to do another Star Wars film 'in a heartbeat.'

Just think how awesome Jedi might have been if Kersh had stayed on after empire.

RJ-I would do another SW film in a heartbeat. I've had the time of my life. '

I think it's very safe to assume that they know who'll be doing it. The day they announced Lord and Millar were out, rumors spread about Ron and he was announced two days later.

I think if it is Rian, an announcement will be made before the marketing hype kicks off so they can market the fact that he is staying on and will finish off the story etc. but if its not him, maybe they'll wait until after TLJ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Howard was different, though. Han Solo was in the middle of shooting. They were losing money every day. They had to have someone else lined up. Episode 9 can still be delayed. By as much as a year if they wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,791 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

George Lucas up to anything these days ;) he might be free to direct it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

George Lucas up to anything these days ;) he might be free to direct it.

Except that he's a sh!te director :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

• Advertisement

Great interview with Rian in today's New York Times. They didn't do anything or cut anything or Carries performance. He also discusses his creative control Making the film.

'When she passed away, we were pretty deep into postproduction. When we came back to the edit room after New Year’s, it was so hard. We went through all her scenes. I felt very strongly that we don’t try to change her performance. We don’t adjust what happens to her in this movie. Emotionally, you can’t help recontextualize it, now that she’s gone. It’s almost eerie how there are scenes that have an emotional resonance and a meaning, especially now. She gives a beautiful and complete performance in this film.'

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/movies/star-wars-the-last-jedi-director-rian-johnson.html?_r=0&referer=http://m.facebook.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Great interview with Rian in today's New York Times. They didn't do anything or cut anything or Carries performance. He also discusses his creative control Making the film.

'When she passed away, we were pretty deep into postproduction. When we came back to the edit room after New Year’s, it was so hard. We went through all her scenes. I felt very strongly that we don’t try to change her performance. We don’t adjust what happens to her in this movie. Emotionally, you can’t help recontextualize it, now that she’s gone. It’s almost eerie how there are scenes that have an emotional resonance and a meaning, especially now. She gives a beautiful and complete performance in this film.'

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/movies/star-wars-the-last-jedi-director-rian-johnson.html?_r=0&referer=http://m.facebook.com

That doesn't mean they didn't change parts of the film as a result of Carrie's death. There were re-shoots in March in a number of different countries. This is normal, but if they decided that something needed to be adjusted to account for Carrie's death then that was the time to do it.

Falthyron wrote: »
    That doesn't mean they didn't change parts of the film as a result of Carrie's death. There were re-shoots in March in a number of different countries. This is normal, but if they decided that something needed to be adjusted to account for Carrie's death then that was the time to do it.

There were no reshoots in many different countries. Gwan post that daily express link saying there was for the laugh. It was refuted. TLJ had an almost weirdly seemless production with no hassles. They came here once for TLJ got what they needed and left. Same with Dubrovnik. There were no reshoots. At all.
    It's in black and white in the above article and in several video interviews with those involved that Carries role hasn't been edited or cut or changed or amended or altered in any way. how many other ways do you want it said?

There were no reshoots in many different countries. Gwan post that daily express link saying there was for the laugh. It was refuted. TLJ had an almost weirdly seemless production with no hassles. They came here once for TLJ got what they needed and left. Same with Dubrovnik. There were no reshoots. At all.
    It's in black and white in the above article and in several video interviews with those involved that Carries role hasn't been edited or cut or changed or amended or altered in any way. how many other ways do you want it said?

You aren't reading what I am saying. Carrie's role is unchanged, no alterations, no adjustments, no cuts. Other parts of the film, however, may have been changed, cut, altered, like any other film that goes through the editing process, but with the added caveat that Carrie can no longer feature in Episode IX. What I am saying is mutually exclusive, do you understand?

Carrie's role = unchanged.
    TLJ = still being edited which may see changes to the overall film without adjusting Carrie's performance.

There is no reason to be militant in your defence of a product, I am producing hypotheticals.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

We'll only know when the movie opens, but I think it's clear from the hints dropped by the director/actors, they've done something.

Different editing can give different meaning to scenes. For example, the last scene in Empire Strikes back could be re-edited into Luke and Leia's farewell if you delete the piece where Luke tells Lando he'll meet up with them on Tattoine. The scene then becomes that they've survived Vader's attack but none the less defeated, finally head off into the sunset.

The next movie opens with the arrival of 'there is another' as referred to earlier in the movie by Yoda, who eventually finishes the job started by Luke and Leia.

I'd guess Last Jedi will do something similar.

Wedwood wrote: »
    We'll only know when the movie opens, but I think it's clear from the hints dropped by the director/actors, they've done something.

Different editing can give different meaning to scenes. For example, the last scene in Empire Strikes back could be re-edited into Luke and Leia's farewell if you delete the piece where Luke tells Lando he'll meet up with them on Tattoine. The scene then becomes that they've survived Vader's attack but none the less defeated, finally head off into the sunset.

The next movie opens with the arrival of 'there is another' as referred to earlier in the movie by Yoda, who eventually finishes the job started by Luke and Leia.

I'd guess Last Jedi will do something similar.

I'm not getting that from Johnson's comments at all. In fact, he seems to be saying the exact opposite:

"'When she passed away, we were pretty deep into postproduction. When we came back to the edit room after New Year’s, it was so hard. We went through all her scenes. I felt very strongly that we don’t try to change her performance. We don’t adjust what happens to her in this movie. Emotionally, you can’t help recontextualize it, now that she’s gone. It’s almost eerie how there are scenes that have an emotional resonance and a meaning, especially now. She gives a beautiful and complete performance in this film."

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

You may well be right of course, it's John Boyega's comments in particular that Carrie gets an appropriate send off that makes me think something's done.

Wedwood wrote: »
    You may well be right of course, it's John Boyega's comments in particular that Carrie gets an appropriate send off that makes me think something's done.

Yeah, someone is hiding/revealing too much with their comments so far, Rian or John.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/john-boyega-says-carrie-fishers-star-wars-send-off-amazing/

In other news - new Snoke image is probably the best look we've had of his face so far

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/885419-new-photos-of-supreme-leader-snoke-debut-online#/slide/1

hard to believe that's entirely CGI

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Hi res image of Rey.....is that Lukes sabre still in her satchel? (depending on your browser, you may need to open image in new tab to see full size)

5VYwUAN.jpg

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote: »
    Hi res image of Rey.....is that Lukes sabre still in her satchel? (depending on your browser, you may need to open image in new tab to see full size)

5VYwUAN.jpg

Great catch. It seems he tells her to keep it. All the new toys of her come with that very saber. Also seems he doesn't have one in TLJ. Which is a shame.

You aren't reading what I am saying. Carrie's role is unchanged, no alterations, no adjustments, no cuts. Other parts of the film, however, may have been changed, cut, altered, like any other film that goes through the editing process, but with the added caveat that Carrie can no longer feature in Episode IX. What I am saying is mutually exclusive, do you understand?

Carrie's role = unchanged.
    TLJ = still being edited which may see changes to the overall film without adjusting Carrie's performance.

There is no reason to be militant in your defence of a product, I am producing hypotheticals.

not actually sure if youre just taking the piss at this point or not..its been said repeatedly by all involved that TLJ wasnt changed in any way to deal with Carries death or Leias role..they had to rewrite 9 to deal with it..simple as that. theyll probably be rewriting again now that Treverow is gone.

not actually sure if youre just taking the piss at this point or not..its been said repeatedly by all involved that TLJ wasnt changed in any way to deal with Carries death or Leias role..they had to rewrite 9 to deal with it..simple as that. theyll probably be rewriting again now that Treverow is gone.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/john-boyega-says-carrie-fishers-star-wars-send-off-amazing/

Your thoughts?

Considering Episode IX was to be 'Carrie's film' according to Kennedy, et al, why are they giving her a 'send-off' in TLJ then? :confused: Or should we just assume Boyega is lying when he says: "This movie, it sends her off in an amazing, amazing way. And she is still kept alive in this franchise. That's the beauty of it: She lives forever in a sense." Why send her off if she was originally supposed to be in Episode IX and TLJ was filmed in a way to enable her to have her movie...

In short: Leia gets a send off in TLJ. But why is she getting a send off when she had filmed her scenes under the assumption that she would be in Episode IX?

Your thoughts?

Considering Episode IX was to be 'Carrie's film' according to Kennedy, et al, why are they giving her a 'send-off' in TLJ then? :confused: Or should we just assume Boyega is lying when he says: "This movie, it sends her off in an amazing, amazing way. And she is still kept alive in this franchise. That's the beauty of it: She lives forever in a sense." Why send her off if she was originally supposed to be in Episode IX and TLJ was filmed in a way to enable her to have her movie...

In short: Leia gets a send off in TLJ. But why is she getting a send off when she had filmed her scenes under the assumption that she would be in Episode IX?

oh god..look, im bored going around endlessly with you on this..youre quoting the telegraph??? seriously...they use Mike Zeroh as a source..do you know who that is?

you really think John Boyega is telling us she dies in that quote? for real? theyre coached intensely about everything the say in these interviews..basically reveal nothing...youre making the only argument ive seen for 'boyega reveals leia dies in TLJ!' ive seen..even the crap click bait sites didnt run with it

im wrong..they did actually..which is more proof its bulls!t

oh god..look, im bored going around endlessly with you on this..youre quoting the telegraph??? seriously...they use Mike Zeroh as a source..do you know who that is?

you really think John Boyega is telling us she dies in that quote? for real? theyre coached intensely about everything the say in these interviews..basically reveal nothing...youre making the only argument ive seen for 'boyega reveals leia dies in TLJ!' ive seen..even the crap click bait sites didnt run with it

More than The Telegraph quoting Kennedy as saying Episode IX was to be Carrie's film, and Boyega as saying she gets a good send off. But, anyway, you don't want to hear that.

I guess we will have to wait for TLJ to release then in December. We need some positive Star Wars news, David!

I think you are both reading too much into the Telegraph writer's suggestion that the film was re-edited. That's his conjecture and he arranges the quotes to support it.

My reading of both Rian and Boyega's comments is that while Leia's role in 8 wasn't written as a "send-off" (which doesn't necessarily mean dying) for Fisher or Leia, it nevertheless ended up being one and as a turns out a very good one. I just take it to mean that Leia has a small but really satisfying role in the film and Fisher is good in it.

See Johnson's comments about emotionally re-contextualising her performance in light of her death despite not making any changes. Leia just lost Han. And if the rumours about her getting injured are true, then she may be facing her own mortality even if she doesn't succumb to it. It's possible they didn't change anything because they didn't need to and if this is the last time we see Leia that's okay.

I think you are both reading too much into the Telegraph writer's suggestion that the film was re-edited. That's his conjecture and he arranges the quotes to support it.

My reading of both Rian and Boyega's comments is that while Leia's role in 8 wasn't written as a "send-off" (which doesn't necessarily mean dying) for Fisher or Leia, it nevertheless ended up being one and as a turns out a very good one. I just take it to mean that Leia has a small but really satisfying role in the film and Fisher is good in it.

See Johnson's comments about emotionally re-contextualising her performance in light of her death despite not making any changes. Leia just lost Han. And if the rumours about her getting injured are true, then she may be facing her own mortality even if she doesn't succumb to it. It's possible they didn't change anything because they didn't need to and if this is the last time we see Leia that's okay.

Perfectly acceptable. I just don't buy the dogmatic one track narrative being spun for one reason and one reason only: nobody will ever know.

If Kennedy and Johnson came out and said: "Sorry, but with the death of Carrie we have to change a few things, alter her scenes, or use CGI to ensure the story progresses as best as possible", the internet and fans would be enraged. The hatred being projected at LucasFilm would be dominating the news on the next Star Wars film. When we consider the inherent problems on-going with Rogue One, the Han Solo film and Trevorrow, there's no chance Kennedy was willing to add to that by announcing changes or re-shoots to an iconic character's story. Quite simply they take a simple answer and run with it. Carrie's presence and her scenes haven't changed because the film was still in the editing process and any edits to her performance may have already been underway/considered around the time of her death. Either way, we simply will never know. Disney says "No changes, we love Carrie" and the fans all bow and nod with approval and praise to the Big Mouse.

I don't know if the film has been changed as a result of her death because I haven't seen it. All I can imagine is: if the film told a story that involved Leia and her arc progressing into Episode IX, and they have vowed not to use CGI for her, then how can they tie up that arc without some sort of a conclusion that wasn't filmed before her death? They certainly won't re-cast her for Episode IX, that would receive an even worse reaction than cutting her from TLJ or reducing her role significantly.

Personally, a cheap mention of her death in the scrawl would be lazy. I would prefer we see the conclusion to her story in TLJ, whether that is a death or a retirement or whatever. In order to achieve that, and assuming what Kennedy says was true (Carrie having a big role in IX), then I can't see how they can provide that conclusion without changing some part of the edit that already exists. And again, not her performance, the story of the film being altered slightly, that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I agree with the Professor's view.

Also, someone mentioned that they will probably square off Leia's fate in the opening crawl to IX, and that also seems likely.

Advertisement