Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Re: indie directors, I think they are looking for the next Nolan. A director with a strong vision, who can get along with the studio and bring in the big bucks. But finding someone who checks all those boxes is difficult. Edwards got along with the studio but had a weak vision that required extensive reshoots to complete. Lord and Miller had a strong vision but couldn't get along with the studio. Trevorrow also couldn't get along with the studio and it's implied was an egomaniac with an inflated view of his own talent. Johnson by simple fact that he survived the production as the sole writer and director of the film and was allowed bring all his own people onboard clearly checked the first two boxes, but whether his film will prove a hit with fans and mainstream audiences remains to be seen.

Indeed. My concern here lies with Mark Hamill's comments on the character direction of Luke in TLJ. I suspect he is referring to the fact that Luke never fell to the darkside and his speech to the Emperor ("I am a Jedi, like my father before me") was proof of how strong he was with the lightside of the force and its beliefs. To have him fall now or have already fallen, or even to question everything about the Jedi code after surviving one of the biggest tests might be a little thin in reasoning. Sure, failure to teach and guide Kylo (if that is what happened) might contribute to his doubts, but it is one thing to question the Jedi, its a bit far to go to the darkside as a reaction to that mis-step, particularly after everything Luke has been through already.

With regards to the next director, I find it curious that Rian hasn't been offered the position yet (that we know of). This suggests a number of possible scenarios. Perhaps, LucasFilm would rather wait to see the outcome both critically and financially for TLJ. Maybe Rian has already been offered the position but he turned it down for any number of reasons. With LucasFilm losing directors and re-shoots all over the place, I doubt they would want the news of Rian rejecting the chance to shoot Episode IX - what would that say to other directors and the audience about how things are being run at LucasFilm? There is nothing to suggest that Rian has made a spectacular film yet. The trailer was intriguing, but that was mostly because of Luke's line: "Time for the Jedi to end". With the loss of Trevorrow and Carrie Fisher, it is almost inevitable that Disney will be prepared to push back the release of Episode IX in exchange for a solid director and the perfect script.

I wouldn't rule out J.J. yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭conorhal

Falthyron wrote: »

With regards to the next director, I find it curious that Rian hasn't been offered the position yet (that we know of). This suggests a number of possible scenarios. Perhaps, LucasFilm would rather wait to see the outcome both critically and financially for TLJ. Maybe Rian has already been offered the position but he turned it down for any number of reasons. With LucasFilm losing directors and re-shoots all over the place, I doubt they would want the news of Rian rejecting the chance to shoot Episode IX - what would that say to other directors and the audience about how things are being run at LucasFilm? There is nothing to suggest that Rian has made a spectacular film yet. The trailer was intriguing, but that was mostly because of Luke's line: "Time for the Jedi to end". With the loss of Trevorrow and Carrie Fisher, it is almost inevitable that Disney will be prepared to push back the release of Episode IX in exchange for a solid director and the perfect script.

It's been suggested that Johnson has turned the film down.

As for Abrahams, I shudder to think of him in the directors chair on account of the fact that he has never (IMO) delivered a satisfying third act in anything he's been involved in. Like so many writers and directors these days, he just cant seem to land the dismount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,449 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Oh god no.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Oh god no.

Wouldn't be my personal choice, but he has already delivered for Disney (financially speaking), and he has said that he would have loved to stay on and do the trilogy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I think I'd like to see a Christopher Nolan Star Wars film.

Me too. He very much does his own thing tho so maybe a standalone film? Don't think he'd fit in a saga film. He's style is so dominant

• Advertisement

Indeed. My concern here lies with Mark Hamill's comments on the character direction of Luke in TLJ. I suspect he is referring to the fact that Luke never fell to the darkside and his speech to the Emperor ("I am a Jedi, like my father before me") was proof of how strong he was with the lightside of the force and its beliefs. To have him fall now or have already fallen, or even to question everything about the Jedi code after surviving one of the biggest tests might be a little thin in reasoning. Sure, failure to teach and guide Kylo (if that is what happened) might contribute to his doubts, but it is one thing to question the Jedi, its a bit far to go to the darkside as a reaction to that mis-step, particularly after everything Luke has been through already.

In the empire article Hamill shared some of his ideas of where he wanted luke to go. They were all embarrassingly awful. And he admits as much. He's raving about Rians decisions in the writing now so I'll trust Rian over Hamill in this instance. :)

Also wouldn't rule JJ out but really hope he doesn't do it. He's already an executive producer on TLJ and 9. That's close enough

Wouldn't be my personal choice, but he has already delivered for Disney (financially speaking), and he has said that he would have loved to stay on and do the trilogy.

Financially speaking doesn't concern me personally though. A good film that isn't a remake, reboot, reimagining, revisioning or whatever does.

Abrams has yet to direct anything that hasn't been a sequel, reboot, or a copy of somebody else. I find him a magpie extraordinaire.

He's competent, but pedestrian. And I just don't want to sit down to the last film in this trilogy and feel like I've seen it all before as it unfolds on the screen - al la 'The Force Awakens'.

david75 wrote: »
    In the empire article Hamill shared some of his ideas of where he wanted luke to go. They were all embarrassingly awful. And he admits as much. He's raving about Rians decisions in the writing now so I'll trust Rian over Hamill in this instance. :)

I wouldn't take that on face value. When the news broke of Hamill being a little 'confused' (to say it lightly) about Rian's choices it raised eyebrows. A light slap on the wrist for Hamill from Disney about keeping in line with the company's faith in the project or see some of his bonuses disappearing would be enough to change his tune. The script hasn't changed since they wrapped shooting (when Hamill first commented on the character arc) and now, so Hamill's quick switch has nothing to do with 'seeing the light'. He was probably warned.

Me too. He very much does his own thing tho so maybe a standalone film? Don't think he'd fit in a saga film. He's style is so dominant

I actually think he has a style that's quite fluid myself, but recognisable at the same time? 'Memento' is nothing like 'Batman Returns'. 'Interstellar' isn't anything like 'Dunkirk'.

On the other hand, there are definite one trick ponies out there, like Lord+Miller, or JJ, who you pretty much know what you're getting before the titles roll.

I actually think he has a style that's quite fluid myself, but recognisable at the same time? 'Memento' is nothing like 'Batman Returns'. 'Interstellar' isn't anything like 'Dunkirk'.

On the other hand, there are definite one trick ponies out there, like Lord+Miller, or JJ, who you pretty much know what you're getting before the titles roll.

I would also like to see a Nolan Star Wars film, but I feel his name and presence would outweigh the subject. Would it be known as a Star Wars film or a Nolan film?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't think there's a franchise out there whose fans wouldn't clammer for Christopher Nolan to direct a film; thinking of the other side of the fence though, it's hard to imagine what Nolan would make of the Star Wars franchise as-is, or indeed what he might bring to it. While it's a myth to think he's totally adverse to CGI, I don't think a film series this demanding of FX would be his cup of tea, or forté for that matter.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't think there's a franchise out there whose fans wouldn't clammer for Christopher Nolan to direct a film; thinking of the other side of the fence though, it's hard to imagine what Nolan would make of the Star Wars franchise as-is, or indeed what he might bring to it. While it's a myth to think he's totally adverse to CGI, I don't think a film series this demanding of FX would be his cup of tea, or forté for that matter.

Nolan would be better suited to one of the standalone films. The main films (Skywalker family) have a certain tone and style about them that should remain consistent. Maybe for the next trilogy in the Skywalker timeline - or otherwise - (Episodes 10-12) with Nolan setting the precedent with Episode X - a very different film to break up the rehash/reboot flavour that is/could be emerging in Episode VII-IX.

I wouldn't call Nolan a one trick pony at all but with any of his films it's going to be a certain thing and leave you a certain way for want of a better way of putting it. He definitely molds a film to his shape and I don't think that would fit in the saga. But definitely get him to do a standalone.

Nolan would be better suited to one of the standalone films. The main films (Skywalker family) have a certain tone and style about them that should remain consistent. Maybe for the next trilogy in the Skywalker timeline - or otherwise - (Episodes 10-12) with Nolan setting the precedent with Episode X - a very different film to break up the rehash/reboot flavour that is/could be emerging in Episode VII-IX.

Didn't Kennedy say that after IX the trilogy format was dead?

I wouldn't call Nolan a one trick pony at all but with any of his films it's going to be a certain thing and leave you a certain way for want of a better way of putting it. He definitely molds a film to his shape and I don't think that would fit in the saga. But definitely get him to do a standalone.
    While it's a myth to think he's totally adverse to CGI, I don't think a film series this demanding of FX would be his cup of tea, or fortor that matter.

Um, 'Interstellar' and 'Inception' are chock-a-bloc with FX. I think he'd be ok.

However, you're both probably correct in that an episode in a trilogy might not be his cup of tea.

In any case, there's an alternative universe out there where Nolan has made 'Star Wars: The Dark Lord'.

One can dream, I spose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Um, 'Interstellar' and 'Inception' are chock-a-bloc with FX. I think he'd be ok.
    [...]

That's not what I meant; I think it's fair to say the tone & manner in which FX is deployed is demonstrably different between a film like Interstellar & Star Wars; it's not so much about whether Nolan can handle FX, it's the purpose it serves in a narrative that I think he'd clash with.

In any case, it's wildly speculative and then some; I'd sooner put money on him helming a Bond film than anything from Lucasfilm/Disney

Oh, I wouldn't money on it. I wouldn't put money on anything.

It's just speculation, as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

JJ Abrams to write and direct Episode IX

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

FunLover18 wrote: »
    JJ Abrams to write and direct Episode IX
    I thought you were taking the piss, but it's actually true...
    #sadness

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41245547

http://www.starwars.com/news/j-j-abrams-to-write-and-direct-star-wars-episode-ix

Oh.

Well that's a bit underwhelming.

• Advertisement

Balls. :mad:

Even I'm not encouraged by that news

He's co writing with chris terio?

Anyone know who that is?

He's co writing with chris terio?

Anyone know who that is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Terrio#Filmography
    2016	Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Writer)

OH GOD NO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Terrio#Filmography
    2016	Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Writer)

OH GOD NO.

That's actually a fine film and a good story if you watch the extended edit.

Well, return of the Jedi was effectively a remake of a new hope. So I guess 9 will just be a remake of force awakens.

There's that ring theory thing happening again I spose

That's actually a fine film and a good story if you watch the extended edit.

Counterpoint; not it isn't :)

I watched the extended cut, it definitely doesn't change the font size of my reply. But hey he wrote Argo & I'd be willing to believe he had more creative latitude there than on the continuing clusterf*ck that is DC films.

Knew it! :D

Indicative of Disney's approach and intent to the franchise: safe and profitable.

It also suggests that maybe they are unsure of Rian's film, otherwise they would have asked him to do it.

It's either inspired getting him back or it's just safe. It does make a wonderful narrative and style sense in terms of the trilogy by as a whole I guess.

End of the day he's still an infinitely better option that Treverow

• Advertisement

Counterpoint; not it isn't :)

I watched the extended cut, it definitely doesn't change the font size of my reply. But hey he wrote Argo & I'd be willing to believe he had more creative latitude there than on the continuing clusterf*ck that is DC films.

Yeah the suits are 100% to blame for what happened with the final edit of BvS. That's a matter of record. They seem to be the reason all dc films suck.

Ps I thought the EE of BvS was an infinitely better film. Way more enjoyable and made much more sense. You didn't? Ah well

Advertisement