Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,449 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I've said it before, but I'd have a bit fo time for 'Man of Steel' and 'Batman vs Superman', despite disliking Snyder as a director. Never really understood the meltdowns those films caused.

However, I watched the first 25 minutes of 'Wonder Woman' last night and it was utter dreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭kerplun k

FunLover18 wrote: »
    JJ Abrams to write and direct Episode IX

Its a good decision. He's not my favorite choice, but he is the safest option. He is far too competent to balls it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Tony EH wrote: »
    I've said it before, but I'd have a bit fo time for 'Man of Steel' and 'Batman vs Superman', despite disliking Snyder as a director. Never really understood the meltdowns those films caused.

However, I watched the first 25 minutes of 'Wonder Woman' last night and it was utter dreck.

Agreed. Don't see the fuss at all about Wonder Woman. It was more like people celebrating the fact that dc managed to make ONE film that wasn't muck! whereas the two you mentioned are fine movies that simply didn't do what their hardcore bases wanted them to.

It could well be TLJ is just way too weird and style wise JJ makes all the sense in the world to bring it back to center for the finale? Guess we won't know til we see. Just had a little wish list and bummed they went with the safest option of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

JJ is competent and safe so at least IX won't be along the same lines as the prequel trilogy.

They could have asked George, afterall! :pac:

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Terrio#Filmography
    2016	Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Writer)

OH GOD NO.

Luke: "Rey.....

Rey: "What is it, Luke? What can I do?"

Luke: "Tell...your mother...that I loved her..."

Rey: "Where is she? What is her name?"

Luke: "Martha...." *dies*

:D

Falthyron wrote: »
    Luke: "Rey.....

Rey: "What is it, Luke? What can I do?"

Luke: "Tell...your mother...that I loved her..."

Rey: "Where is she? What is her name?"

Luke: "Martha...." *dies*

:D

*Mara

david75 wrote: »
    *Mara

Haha! Disney scrapped the old canon though :(

But it would be a great play on BvS and the legacy books :D

Lucasfilm Employee: "Lord Abrams, this is an unexpected pleasure. We're honored by your presence."

JJ Abrams: "You may dispense with the pleasantries, Commander. I'm here to put you back on schedule."

Lucasfilm: "I assure you, Lord Abrams, my men are working as fast as they can."

JJ: "Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them."

Lucasfilm: "I tell you, this movie will be operational as planned."

JJ: "The Emperor does not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation."

Lucasfilm: "But she asks the impossible. I need more men."

JJ: "Then perhaps you can tell her when she arrives."

Lucasfilm: "Kathleen Kennedy's coming here?"

JJ: "That is correct, Commander. And she is most displeased with your apparent lack of progress."

Lucasfilm: "We shall double our efforts."

JJ: "I hope so, Commander, for your sake. The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am."

a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Not Abrams. Please no.

So sometime in the next few months before January you're gonna read about Kasdan being brought in to help with the script. Almost sure of it. No bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,791 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I jokingly said to a friend yesterday that it would be Joss and he said no Joss jumped to DC so Disney won't touch him but I bet they go with JJ and he was very serious about it.

I'll buy him a pint tonight and ask him for the lotto numbers now.

I've thought about it.
    The guy who relaunched star wars successfully being brought in to safely land it after production woes on all the films apart from TLJ makes perfect sense. Also doesn't necessarily mean he'll play it safe on screen or in the script.

In fact I'd say JJ is the perfect guy to leave it with a door open ending for a follow up trilogy.

But with any luck it won't be a mad cliff hanger/ambiguous ending. He's known for that and it's a bit tired if it he does it in 9

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Quite pleased about that decision TBH - a bolder choice would have been nice, but Disney are well beyond that point now as has been definitively proven by a succession of firings. Don't want another repeat of the same old Force Awakens debate as it's been had several million times (including from many regulars in this thread ;)), but I still believe what Abrams films lack in originality they make up for in verve and enthusiasm. If Episode VIII does disrupt the status quo, then hopefully any potential for another nostalgia-fest will be relatively limited (yes, my delusional optimism knows no bound). Curious to see what happens when Abrams is free from the responsibility of reviving a mortally wounded franchise, and without a Lindelof / Orci / Kurtzman in sight.

If nothing else, I'd expect Abrams to turn in a self-confident, rousing bit of genre nonsense like he always does - which is significantly more than I'd have expected from Colin Trevvorow.

Still think Johnson is the only director in the fragile franchise mix with the potential capacity to take Star Wars to another level, mind you: Episode VIII is still my (only) hope for something that goes a step beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Almost anyone is better than Treverow.

With Treverow, there was a possibility of a bad movie.
    Now with JJ, the worst possibility is a safe yet entertaining movie.

I would have preferred Johnson though.

I don't see what everyones fascination with Johnson is, sure, he's delivered a few great films on modest budgets, but he's yet to convince me he's capable of producing anything ground breaking, I mean he's nowhere near Nolan, not yet anyway.

As far as Star Wars reaching another level, I'd argue that it's already at it's peak, there is no next level for this franchise. It's already firing on all cylinders. Both TFA and Rogue One exceeded expectations so they just need to keep the quality up to the same high standard.

Just announced episode 9 is being pushed back to Christmas 2019. No surprises there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

May 2019 was such a clearly nonsensical date I don't know why they even bothered putting it out there, let alone reiterating it on several occasions.

• Advertisement

They should just commit to the December release schedule. They've really nailed down that Christmas event movie. Going to a Star Wars film has become one of my favourite social things to do around Christmas. I hope the Han Solo film gets pushed to December 2018 as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm happy enough with Abrams. He's a rock solid director who knows how to bring even the weakest script to life on-screen. In fact, I don't think he's ever had a really great script to work with. They've always been bad to mediocre but he somehow makes them work. My main concern would be that he plays it overly safe and nostalgic again and rehashes all the same beats from TFA.

Expect a copy of Jedi.

The ****er hasn't got an original thought in his head.

I'm happy enough with Abrams. He's a rock solid director who knows how to bring even the weakest script to life on-screen. In fact, I don't think he's ever had a really great script to work with. They've always been bad to mediocre but he somehow makes them work. My main concern would be that he plays it overly safe and nostalgic again and rehashes all the same beats from TFA.

The thinking is he does actually listen to fans and he'll run away too far in some mad direction in order to please while still trying to tell the story.
    Only thing we do know is the good guys will win. (Cue it's a ROTJ ripoff complaints) but it probably / most likely will leave the door wide open for the next trilogy. He's good at that.

Expect a copy of Jedi.

The ****er hasn't got an original thought in his head.

Can you just copy and paste this til 2018? Just thinking of your fingers like. Arthritis / repetitive strain injury is not to be taken lightly :)

Still doesn't change the fact that Abrams is a piss poor writer and a copycat director.

'The Force Awakens' gets a lot of good will, simply because it didn't suck balls like the prequels. But, it's poor film in many, many respects.

If Abrams can up the ante, all well and good. But, I've seen nothing from him to be hopeful about.

It's a decision that's so safe, it's puke inducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

I don't think JJ getting the job shows any indication that they are unhappy with Rian's work - in fact, a lot of reports are coming out that Rian was asked to do 9, but would have to start pre-production immediately, having not even finished TLJ yet. I can understand why he turned it down (kind of.)

Also poor Jack Throne isn't even getting a mention. :D Considering his previous work I was hopeful for what he would bring to the writers room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Still doesn't change the fact that Abrams is a piss poor writer and a copycat director.

'The Force Awakens' gets a lot of good will, simply because it didn't suck balls like the prequels. But, it's poor film in many, many respects.

If Abrams can up the ante, all well and good. But, I've seen nothing from him to be hopeful about.

100% agree, I'm disappointed by the decision. Talk about playing it safe.

I expect episode 9 to be on the same level as TFA unfortunately.

Really hoping for something special from Last Jedi though.

100% agree, I'm disappointed by the decision. Talk about playing it safe.

I expect episode 9 to be on the same level as TFA unfortunately.

Really hoping for something special from Last Jedi though.

Aye, well we can hope.

Can't say I've been too enthused by what I've seen for 'The Last Jedi' yet though. The trailer was ok, but nothing else has done it. The nouveau AT-AT's were just eye rolling.

On the plus side, Johnson has actually made a film that I liked.

Abrams hasn't though. In addition, I just don't like Abrams way of doing things. He's too much of a "wouldn't it be kewl if..." type of director, regardless of whether something ends up being utterly stupid and devoid of any logic whatsoever. Hiding the Enterprise under water? Dumb, but kewl. Rey doing a jedi mindtrick, despite thinking that the force, jedis and luke skywalker were a myth earlier that very day. Dumb, but kewl. Han Solo, going back to old job as a smuggler despite being a GENERAL in a rebellion that saw the end of a galaxy wide Empire. Dumb, but kewl. :rolleyes:

His writing leaves an AWFUL lot to be desired too. People like Rey, largely because they find Ridley charming. But she's a nothing character. She's Abram's "mystery box" personified. Hopefully, johnson can actually give her something to be challenged by in his film. Finn, too, is awful. A goofy, ha ha type, that gives the more stupid elements of an audience something to laugh at. But, his character never makes a lick of sense. Not even once. And Poe is pretty much nobody that could be played by anybody. There's nothing there, except a GOAT x-wing pilot, who's the centre of another Abram's type kewl scene that sees him wipe out a squadron of nouveau TIE fighters in one of the most laughable sections of the film.

Objectively speaking, 'The Force Awakens' was disappointing on so many levels. A lot of them were intellectually insulting too. The writing was quite bad, the characters poor, it relied far too much of callbacks to previous Star Wars films and some of the action scenes descended into silliness.

I'm hoping for the best from 'The Last Jedi'. But, it's terribly disappointing to see JJ the reboot guy back at the helm for IX.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, yer a hard man to please.

Advertisement