Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,449 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

david75 wrote: »
    You know they're making a young Han Solo film right? ;)

Unfortunately.

however, with Star Wars' penchant for being afraid to actually have characters stay dead, I can see Solo being brought back, al la Bobby Fett and robo-bottom-half Darth Maul. :rolleyes:
    Tbh I think Ford has the right to be that cranky old man. He's made a massive contribution to cinema. He does cranky old man well too.

I think Ford's been an ass about Han Solo and it doesn't give me any pleasure saying so, as the man was my screen hero when I was a kid. Han Solo AND Indiana Jones? He could do no wrong. When you get older and you find out that he hates Solo and wants him dead, it kind of makes you wonder if he's on the same bloody planet as yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I'd give him a lot of leeway bough. Imagine your whole life being asked about just one role you were in. And probably dealing with hundreds of it's crazy fans a week approaching you. He only took part in ROTJ cos he was contractually obliged to and yeah he did want han to die thinking it would add a weight of sacrifice and a victory earned for the character and the rebellion. Kasdan fought for it too and Lucas wasn't having it. But a lot of actors and artists struggle with their best known work. It would be weird if he was the other way and coasted on it his whole life too though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd give him a lot of leeway bough. Imagine your whole life being asked about just one role you were in. And probably dealing with hundreds of it's crazy fans a week approaching you. He only took part in ROTJ cos he was contractually obliged to and yeah he did want han to die thinking it would add a weight of sacrifice and a victory earned for the character and the rebellion. Kasdan fought for it too and Lucas wasn't having it. But a lot of actors and artists struggle with their best known work. It would be weird if he was the other way and coasted on it his whole life too though.

What you're describing is no different to any other actor from any other popular sci-fi or genre franchise; be it Star Trek, Doctor Who, Harry Potter or whatever. Now I'm not saying every actor should be ready & willing to put up with fan 'love', but in the majority case there tends to be a friendly give & take between fandom and the actors from those franchises. The likes of Patrick Stewart positively revels in his status as something of a Geek King; while those that decide not to play the game have tended to just bow out & take the occasional question with good(ish) grace. Harrison Ford though, is the big, belligerent exception that proves the rule - starring in 3 of the biggest pop culture entities from the 80s, you'd think would engender some goodwill from the actor, yet he acts like they were utterly beneath him.

/\

Yep. There's a certain lack of class going on.

If it were I, I would be understanding enough to at least recognise the sheer good fortune that fate chucked my way and acknowledge the fact that there are, literally, millions of people that hold your work in high regard (probably more than it really deserves TBH).

Thing is, Ford ain't no Olivier. He's not a chameleon actor. He's pretty much Harrison Ford in everything he's been in. To my mind he should be thankful for what Star Wars and Solo gave him, a long Hollywood career, comfortable life that most can only dream of and a multi million dollar bank account.

I mean even Alec Guinness, who thought Star Wars was nonsensical fluff (although contrary to popular opinion didn't hate it) had the good manners to understand why people loved his character and the film he was in and he was an actor with a far wider body of work than Ford.

Or take Peter Cushing, who was always talking about his roles in a gentlemanly fashion, thoroughly respectful of the people who put money in his pockets, even though he's the fist to admit to a litany of humdingers in his back catalogue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I think the mention of Guinness and Cushing is pertinent here: both came to Star Wars with vastly different CVs and status, yet both conducted themselves with a bit of respect and class towards something they weren't that invested in or bothered about. Heck, Alec Guinness was a bit of an old-school English acting luvvie, you'd forgive an actor like him if he got a bit ratty about Star Wars, yet he kept a respectful distance.

In a related fashion, I remember reading an interview with Michael Caine; I forget the exact details but he was asked why he took on some voice-work for an otherwise asinine animated kids movie & his rationale was both pragmatic & sweet: he wanted to be in a movie his grand children could watch with him. Lovely! Equally so, this is the man who once commented that while he had never actually seen Jaws: The Revenge, he had seen the mansion it bought him :D

Everyone is different, but Harrison Ford always struck me as a man more than a little bitter about his career; maybe he really did just want to be a carpenter, and this whole Hollywood fame thing took over his life. Who knows, but he could do with lightening up a little & just enjoying the ride.

• Advertisement

That Michael Caine quote is gold. I laugh every time I see it :)

Aye, Caine is great. He's not great actor by any means and he knows it, but he's just a great star and sometimes that's all that matters. His interviews are always worth watching, especially the ones with Parky. Genuinely funny little stories.

If Ford had seen his iconic character become farce like Christopher Lee, then I'd understand his curmudgeon-like demeanor and surly attitude towards it. Poor old Lee had to watch as Dracula became more and more of a background joke. But, while he bemoaned the downward spiral of Hammer in general, he never shat on the initial role/character itself.

In that position I'd like to think I'd be more like Hamill and loving it and giving time to every fan and really just enjoying the whole experience. Reality is youd get really bored of it probably quite quickly.

'Here today, Gone Treverow'

I laughed out loud :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Have to say I don't understand the hatred for Ford. I met him once in San Diego and thought he was a great guy.

Kind of plays into the grumpy old man bit, but you'd be cranky with nerds shouting at you your whole life.

I don't mind him wanting to kill off Solo in Empire. I don't mind him returning to TFA for a big pile of money. He has the right to do whatever films he chooses.

It does not make him bitter or have disdain for the characters/films.

He has a very witty and dry sense of humour and the person you see on TV in interviews is very different to what he's like in private.

Check him out in the parody video kimmel did "I'm fvcking ben Affleck" or whatever it is, Ford has a great sense of humour about himself.

Or check him out in the Spielberg and lucas AFI tributes, he genuinely loves those two and is grateful for the opportunities they gave him.

I've never gotten the sense he was "bitter" about any of these roles at all, always comes across as very content with life.

He doesn't have any enthusiasm for the press tours and is blunt about that but fvck it he's given us amazing movies so I couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I love mark Hamill.

"The Medical Droid"

"IG-88"

"NO!!!!!!!!!!"

FFS Mark. :D

I say this as a die hard Star Wars fan. Watching Valerian city of a thousand planets. This is what Star Wars should be doing. It's almost embarrassing how good this is in creature and culture design and just storytelling. Lucasfilm need to rip this for the han movie or future standalones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

david75 wrote:
    I say this as a die hard Star Wars fan. Watching Valerian city of a thousand planets. This is what Star Wars should be doing. It's almost embarrassing how good this is in creature and culture design and just storytelling. Lucasfilm need to rip this for the han movie or future standalones.

Valerian was terrible. It looked fantastic and there was some good world building but it's not a good film.

I thought it was fantastic. Gets a bit slow in the second act but the payoff was totally worth it. Comic book action come to life. Really enjoyed it. And it looks stunning. And has some wonderful ideas.

Seems to be a real marmite film that.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Seems to be a real marmite film that.

Yeah. Have you not seen it? Think you'd like it but maybe you wouldn't too.

No, not seen it. Probably will eventually. More than likely, it'll go on the ever expanding To Do list and reside there for the next 5 years.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    No, not seen it. Probably will eventually. More than likely, it'll go on the ever expanding To Do list and reside there for the next 5 years.

Yeah I get ye. I'm out on recovery after an op. Trying to get through a pile of films on that same list. Watched the Marrix yesterday and loved it. Also watched rogue one and like it a whole lot more than I used to.

The official Star Wars twitter just posted this...almost there...trailer comin?

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/909212833623138304

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Tweet deleted

What did it say?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

https://heroichollywood.com/mark-hamill-teases-new-star-wars-last-jedi-trailer/

Watch Monday Night Football on Monday October 9th- for no reason in particular.
    — Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) September 19, 2017

Fairly sure this was something that he wasn't meant to post just yet

He's a master troll :)

Deleting it just causes more attention and he knows that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/888685-full-star-wars-the-last-jedi-trailer-coming-in-october#/slide/1

People are running with it anyway.

The timing makes sense anyway, two months before the film it out you'd be surprised if there wasn't a trailer.

It's a wrap. Now we wait. And wait and wait.

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/911055570106331136

Probably waiting til it's 100% done to get the trailer out. Nobody wants a repeat of the rogue one trailers showing us a totally different film that the one we got :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Probably waiting til it's 100% done to get the trailer out. Nobody wants a repeat of the rogue one trailers showing us a totally different film that the one we got :)

Slightly offf topic, but generally I avoid trailers until after I see the movie. After I seen Rogue One, I went back and watched the "It's a rebellion, I rebelled" trailer, and thought it was excellent, possibly the best trailer of 2016. It gave you a flavour for the film without giving anything away. I know this was unintentional, but if similar productions could try something like this, I'd be all for it. I would love if some trailers had it's own thing, and tried using separate dialogue and scenes to the actual movie, where it works as kinda like a setup rather than a preview. This is just something that struck me after I seen the first RO trailer.

Advertisement