Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Ah right ! , so this will be in Darth Banes time ?

could have lots of potential.

The Old Republic games are even further back than Darth Bane, but the point still stands: a film far removed from the Skywalker timeline would be very welcome!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Tony EH wrote: »
    But that war has already happened. There were folk claiming that 'Revenge of the Sith' was the greatest Star Wars film OAT. :/

No doubt, you'll have some claiming this for 'The Last Jedi', even if it's total shite.

But, you never know, it could be fantastic. The problem, though, is that it already belongs to a poorer trilogy, when compared to the OT, cos 'The Force Awakens' wasn't that good and compared to the original's characters, the new trilogy stars are very much in their shadow.

I know we've yet to see IX...but Abrams = :( already.

If Rogue one didn't teach you not to write something off on premise alone without seeing it nothing will :)
    Tbh this trailer really really feels like JJs work in some ways. The action stuff mainly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,448 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Again...nobody is "writing" anything off.

It's the state of play as it currently stands.

For you perhaps. The vast majority of people are really excited. Haven't seen any of the usual predictable freaking out of hating on it yet. Good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Inviere

Cannot f**king wait. Goosebump city watching that :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,448 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

david75 wrote: »
    For you perhaps.

Yes, that's what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corroonb

It looks like if I book a ticket for this with my Unlimited card then I can only make 2 bookings at a time until after I see the Last Jedi in December. Anyone else have this problem? I sometimes go to 3 movies in a day because transport is expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

thanks..i was in it once and mad underwhelned and it had crap sound..two pals debating if its real or not..only thing i can think of is they might have an imax projector alright but not the screen

Really I was in there once since it changed to Imax and found the sound awesome. I think it also depends on the film you see as well. Would have loved to have seen more films in there but unfortunately most films these day have been made in 3D but I think that fad is starting to fade now thankfully and less films are being made in it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

corroonb wrote: »
    It looks like if I book a ticket for this with my Unlimited card then I can only make 2 bookings at a time until after I see the Last Jedi in December. Anyone else have this problem? I sometimes go to 3 movies in a day because transport is expensive.

Fair play to you been able to see 3 movies in the one day and I know what you mean about transport being expensive. I used to do that too but find it far to awkward to do now because most films are 3D which does not suit me and times never as good as they used to be in the cinema,s.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corroonb

AMKC wrote: »
    Fair play to you been able to see 3 movies in the one day and I know what you mean about transport being expensive. I used to do that too but find it far to awkward to do now because most films are 3D which does not suit me and times never as good as they used to be in the cinema,s.

I booked it in the Lighthouse instead. I still have some free tickets there from a membership and it's a much nicer cinema. I do like the bigger IMAX screen but I really do not like 3D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭tony stark

Can anyone see screen one in the savoy?? They also only have the 15th up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

tony stark wrote: »
    Can anyone see screen one in the savoy?? They also only have the 15th up?

I asked about this online earlier. They said they’d check with head office. It’s weird because other IMC cinemas have the 14th up ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

So how do we know these puffin things are called "Porgs" ?

Screen one on savoy is always my first choice but they just didn't seem to have it available to book for this. Which is bizarre.

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    So how do we know these puffin things are called "Porgs" ?

It's a cool name. Not as strange as some of the birds that really nest at skellig.

But been confirmed ages and there's kids books (chewie and the porgs) and umpteen official Star Wars plushy toy variations available. All called porg.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Well the trailer was good Luke looks bitter and the new poster has Luke in the usual Vader/villain place.

George Lucas original plan was Luke to kill Vader and turn to the dark side at the end of Return of the Jedi, with the next three movies about 'there is another' setting out to save him.

Looks like we're getting a reworking of that idea - or we're going through the biggest studio mis-direction campaign.

Supercut of the two trailers is just brilliant. so cool seein all these elements together. Gives a much better idea of what's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Its unclear who the 'raw strength' and 'untamed power' refers to ; could be any of Kylo, Rey, or Vader.
    We will need to see some data on midi-chlorian levels to sort this one out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Crap. I could of booked lighthouse main screen earlier and didn’t bother thinking it would be a couple of days before it booked up! Seems to be big demand...

I’m sort of mixed with the midnight shows. They are exciting and good craic but I’m usually knackered at some stage at them!!!

Its unclear who the 'raw strength' and 'untamed power' refers to ; could be any of Kylo, Rey, or Vader.

That's the beauty of it. It could mean either. It's probably both of them though. Rian said they're both the main protagonists in the last Jedi. Two sides of the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I sorta ruled out the possibility that Luke was talking about Vader, but it would make a lot of sense. With youth and arrogance on his side, Luke probably wasn't "frightened enough" of Vader. But now that he's older and sees someone else with that kind of power he understands what it means.

Consider also that Snoke tells Rey to fulfil her destiny, i.e. he must know her past. So when he talks about finding "raw, untamed power" he may be talking about her as well. I mean, he can hardly claim to have "found" such power in Kylo given that as a Skywalker-Solo Kylo was the most obvious person in the whole galaxy in which to look for it.

Of course, this would mean that Kylo is... well not fit to shine Vader's boots. Which would explain his insecurity and failure to best Rey.

I sorta ruled out the possibility that Luke was talking about Vader, but it would make a lot of sense. With youth and arrogance on his side, Luke probably wasn't "frightened enough" of Vader. But now that he's older and sees someone else with that kind of power he understands what it means.

Consider also that Snoke tells Rey to fulfil her destiny, i.e. he must know her past. So when he talks about finding "raw, untamed power" he may be talking about her as well. I mean, he can hardly claim to have "found" such power in Kylo given that as a Skywalker-Solo Kylo was the most obvious person in the whole galaxy in which to look for it.

Of course, this would mean that Kylo is... well not fit to shine Vader's boots. Which would explain his insecurity and failure to best Rey.

Don't forget his own line 'this isn't going to go how you think'. He's about to really show how powerful he is in that scene despite himself and in this whole reluctant aspect of where he is now.

Don't think he's talking about Vader when he says he's scared. He's referencing kylo or Snoke. We don't know Snoke wasn't a pupil of his also and who lead Ben astray.

*he also didn't fail to beat Rey. He was trying to capture her to take her to Snoke. Not kill her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Falthyron wrote: »
    The Old Republic games are even further back than Darth Bane, but the point still stands: a film far removed from the Skywalker timeline would be very welcome!

ah yes ... ~1k years before ANH is Banes time, actually the Darth Bane trilogy is a great read - not canon but still a great story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Unlikely to be a coincidence, given previous posters and promos have intentionally aped or nodded towards marketing of the past, but I wouldn't think there's any real plot significance to it all.

"Let the past die. Kill it... if you have to. It's the only way to become what you're meant to be." This from Kylo. It's sentiment sounds more like a true Jedi than anything else we've heard even from Luke Abandoning attachments letting go of the past and being in the now.

I'm beginning to think we'll see kylo come back. That shot of him picking up the saber. Maybe he saves Rey from being tortured by Snoke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I've a bad feeling about these porgs.

safetyboy wrote: »

They're barely in it don't worry.

safetyboy wrote: »

What are you talking about?!

I can't wait for the inevitable Disney spin-offs featuring the wild and wacky adventures these little creatures are going to have.

'The Porgs: Adventures across the Galaxy'
    'The Porgs II: Saving Private Porg'
    'The Porgs III: Escape from Ach-To'

Ad nauseum... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

They're barely in it don't worry.

Depending on how much time is devoted to Rey and Luke's story on Ach-To, I would agree with you. But, clearly one manages to escape on to the Falcon when it leaves. Cuddly toys = money. If the Porgs sell well in the coming months and are received well by kids in the film, then one of them will become a permanent fixture to Chewie or the Falcon.

Advertisement