Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Falthyron wrote: »
    Depending on how much time is devoted to Rey and Luke's story on Ach-To, I would agree with you. But, clearly one manages to escape on to the Falcon when it leaves. Cuddly toys = money. If the Porgs sell well in the coming months and are received well by kids in the film, then one of them will become a permanent fixture to Chewie or the Falcon.

One leaves with them on the falcon. The chewie action figure comes with the little fella. This is gonna be a dark heavy film. You need something for the kids. Star Wars is for kids remember. And every Film had something for them directly and especially.

It won't disrupt the story or take up any time. Not a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

david75 wrote: »
    One leaves with them on the falcon. The chewie action figure comes with the little fella. This is gonna be a dark heavy film. You need something for the kids. Star Wars is for kids remember. And every Film had something for them directly and especially.

It won't disrupt the story or take up any time. Not a big deal.

BB-8 was good. Clearly the little droid won't be getting much screen time in The Last Jedi, so they needed something else to keep the kids happy. Hopefully, they are goofy, troublesome, little fellas who provide humour by being bold and píssing Chewie off. They should be like The Penguins in Madagascar. On screen just enough to be gold, but not too much to see their shtick wear-thin.

That's exactly it. It'll be Tiny comic relief. Barely more than the shot in the trailer of the little guy sqawking in the dashboard of the cockpit. I believe there's a scene where loads of them get inside the falcon and chewies trying to herd them all out but it's futile. There's a pic somewhere of a few of them sitting on R2s head and legs again on the falcon.

Personally I'm up for it. Can you imagine ROTJ being released today? Ewoks would be bigger than the Monions. They'd be *everywhere*.
    The porgs won't even feature much past the one little guy with chewie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

There was a photo doing the rounds of chewie with porg feathers around his mouth, so I don't think they'll last too long

OU812 wrote: »
    There was a photo doing the rounds of chewie with porg feathers around his mouth, so I don't think they'll last too long

Haha! Been a lot of speculation about that :) he won't eat them. They won't set up an adorable little character like that and then upset all the kids by Chewie eating one

Or would they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Think Rey goes to the darkside and Ben Solo turns good.

The clip with Kylo reaching out his hand and Rey wanting to know her place "in all of this" is misleading as they are in 2 different locations.TFA trailer was the same with clips spliced to throw us off.That's a good thing imo,we expect one thing and when the movie comes out,in the words of Luke "This is not going to go the way you think."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,448 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What are you talking about?!

I can't wait for the inevitable Disney spin-offs featuring the wild and wacky adventures these little creatures are going to have.

'The Porgs: Adventures across the Galaxy'
    'The Porgs II: Saving Private Porg'
    'The Porgs III: Escape from Ach-To'

Ad nauseum... :rolleyes:

No doubt, they're planning the kiddie cartoons right now.

This could be the best film ever but if we don't see Luke and Leia reuniting I'll call it a huge failure. And cry a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

This could be the best film ever but if we don't see Luke and Leia reuniting I'll call it a huge failure. And cry a lot.

It was a huge failure not reuniting all three in the first movie imo! We won't get that chance now.

I dreamt that Harrison had a change of heart with the role because of Carries passing and at the end of this movie Luke/Rey finds his body and somehow resurrects him and he comes back for the last movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,448 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

py2006 wrote: »
    I dreamt that Harrison had a change of heart with the role because of Carries passing and at the end of this movie Luke/Rey finds his body and somehow resurrects him and he comes back for the last movie.

Oh god please no.

People need to stay dead in Star Wars. The resurrections are crazy already.

py2006 wrote: »
    It was a huge failure not reuniting all three in the first movie imo! We won't get that chance now.

There's reports they filmed a funeral sequence for Han and Carrie and Mark were on set same time but who knows?

I think given hand died and the outcry about not seeing the big three together again was so loud I'd hope Johnson listened to that and reunites the twins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,787 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So what screen do we reckon is the best in Dublin to watch it on ?
    I'm going to book a week day off work and go watch it the week after it comes out,

I'm going to book a week day off work and go watch it the week after it comes out,

I'd go savoy one or that other big one out in Liffey valley. Don't do imax it's a scam and they only seem to have it in 3D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Rathmines screen 1 for me.

Smaller screens have a big advantage of fewer people screwing up your night playing with their phones n walking in n out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Screen 1 in Liffey Valley (The Big Fella) is only showing The Last Jedi at midnight in 3D... :(

Screen 1 in Blanch (iSENSE) isn't showing The Last Jedi at all (at least for now).

I don't want to see it in 3D, so I guess I will have to settle for something else. I had the chance to see The Force Awakens on the IMAX in London in 2015 and that was pretty special. I really wish we could get a proper IMAX in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I'd go savoy one or that other big one out in Liffey valley. Don't do imax it's a scam and they only seem to have it in 3D.

There are no options for Savoy screen one on their bookings page, wasn't it supposed to be getting split in two? Really hope that's not the case.

There are no options for Savoy screen one on their bookings page, wasn't it supposed to be getting split in two? Really hope that's not the case.

It's bizarre they haven't opened it for booking yet. Screen one wasn't split. Screen two was into two smaller screens apparently.

Cool info. Rian on the marketing what to show what not to show and the porgs.
    http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2017/10/rian-johnson-talks-porgs-how-lucasfilm.html?m=1

• Advertisement

Happy enough with the trailer although I thought it was odd in that it lingered unusually long (for a trailer) on that Kylo/Leia scene...why would they zone in on what appears to be a pivotal scene?

I'll have to look at it again but did Threepio appear anywhere in the trailer? And if not surely that's a first?

Also, I've seen people discussing leaked scenes/rumoured plot points without spoiler tags. Is that usually the case for film threads? If so, I'll be on my merry way then!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Also, I've seen people discussing leaked scenes/rumoured plot points without spoiler tags. Is that usually the case for film threads? If so, I'll be on my merry way then!

Speculation based on officially released information (marketing, interviews, etc) is fine. I wasn't really aware that there was a lot of rumoured or leaked spoilers out there, but from this point onward that should definitely be kept behind spoiler tags or better yet not posted at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Screen 1 in Liffey Valley (The Big Fella) is only showing The Last Jedi at midnight in 3D... :(

Screen 1 in Blanch (iSENSE) isn't showing The Last Jedi at all (at least for now).

I don't want to see it in 3D, so I guess I will have to settle for something else. I had the chance to see The Force Awakens on the IMAX in London in 2015 and that was pretty special. I really wish we could get a proper IMAX in Dublin...

Take my advice and don't bother with Vue in Liffey Valley if you can help it. You definitely don't want to be watching a 2D film in one of their 3D screens (which includes Screen 1) - image is very dark. And they have major sound problems in many of their other screens. I still go there because it's convenient but the quality of presentation ain't what it used to be.

Happy enough with the trailer although I thought it was odd in that it lingered unusually long (for a trailer) on that Kylo/Leia scene...why would they zone in on what appears to be a pivotal scene?

I'll have to look at it again but did Threepio appear anywhere in the trailer? And if not surely that's a first?

It's a pretty heave move to put that bit with kylo and Leia in the trailer. You see his lip quivering he senses her and her limited force ability senses him. That's a bold move to show.

Tbh all this is just speculation and it's ridiculous if we have to use spoiler tags for a film nobody knows anything about at all. There's informed and thoughtful speculation out there but guesswork and speculation is all it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭tony stark

I rang the savoy. They said screen one was closed for renovations in December. That implies the split for me. Say goodbye to the last decent screen in Dublin. B******s!!!!! At least I got to see blade runner there. What a shame tho

It's a pretty heave move to put that bit with kylo and Leia in the trailer. You see his lip quivering he senses her and her limited force ability senses him. That's a bold move to show.

Tbh all this is just speculation and it's ridiculous if we have to use spoiler tags for a film nobody knows anything about at all. There's informed and thoughtful speculation out there but guesswork and speculation is all it is.

Ah we can all speculate, otherwise what's the point in having a thread? But I'm just saying that if someone has read something very spoilery elsewhere that hasn't come from official channels and then mentions it here without tagging...there's a big difference between that and speculation.

Ah we can all speculate, otherwise what's the point in having a thread? But I'm just saying that if someone has read something very spoilery elsewhere that hasn't come from official channels and then mentions it here without tagging...there's a big difference between that and speculation.

I'm with ye. None of it has any firm basis. The director and cast have given away nothing apart from this one is going to be mad unexpected it's going to challenge us and it's made Star Wars fresh and new. That's basically all we know from official sources.

Everything else is purely speculative until confirmed otherwise ie after having seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

tony stark wrote: »
    I rang the savoy. They said screen one was closed for renovations in December. That implies the split for me. Say goodbye to the last decent screen in Dublin. B******s!!!!! At least I got to see blade runner there. What a shame tho

That sucks. They did say earlier in the year they would be making adjustments but wouldn’t change the screen size.

Was looking forward to seeing this there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,791 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

For those who have watched the trailer is there a major spoiler in it like Johnson said?

Yes or no answer will do :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Take my advice and don't bother with Vue in Liffey Valley if you can help it. You definitely don't want to be watching a 2D film in one of their 3D screens (which includes Screen 1) - image is very dark. And they have major sound problems in many of their other screens. I still go there because it's convenient but the quality of presentation ain't what it used to be.

Just to echo this...

Vue is a disgrace these days. If you have to, and want a largish screen, then Screen 3 may be the best 2D option there, but even that's not perfect.
    Screen 1, as well as shoehorning 2D into a 3D lens setup, has a number of busted speaker drivers leading to any audio extravaganza turning into a frustrating experience.

Of course, Vue say they have no issues, and regularly check their AV systems - obviously while they're off, because I can't recall the last time I saw a member of staff in a screen beyond the initial adverts. Been going on for a few year now......Blade Runner the latest victim.

Advertisement