Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Key phrase. ‘One last time’. And also saying it recontextualises her not being here anymore, so perhaps Leia does die in The Last Jedi? Looks like it was written that way and then Carrie sadly died, no? Or is that a reach?

‘For the next few months, seeing the fans … process the loss and celebrate her as Leia one last time, it’s going to be intense. I think it’s going to be really sad but really joyful, I hope. She really kicks [butt] as General Leia, and I’m happy for that.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

david75 wrote: »
    Key phrase. ‘One last time’. And also saying it recontextualises her not being here anymore, so perhaps Leia does die in The Last Jedi? Looks like it was written that way and then Carrie sadly died, no? Or is that a reach?

‘For the next few months, seeing the fans … process the loss and celebrate her as Leia one last time, it’s going to be intense. I think it’s going to be really sad but really joyful, I hope. She really kicks [butt] as General Leia, and I’m happy for that.”

I think they will spin whatever bullshít they can to achieve the maximum return both emotionally, and financially. When Kathleen Kennedy said Episode IX was to be 'Carrie's film' it sounded like Leia was not supposed to die or disappear in The Last Jedi. Now it sounds like they have found a way to write her out of Episode IX either through death or taking a long holiday somewhere far, far, away.

Of course they won't say they changed her role or the context of the film for fear of inciting mass hatred from the die-hard fans. My theory is that her death redeems Kylo, or he turns back to the light as a result of her death. She goes out in style pulling off some daring move to save Kylo or something.

In truth, we will never know. All I know is that there is a strong contradiction between what Kennedy said and where this film appears to be going in terms of Leia's plot.

I dunno. There’s no way theyd give us anything away about the story but Rian sayin ‘one last time’ in relation to TLJ sounds like they had actually shot her death in the film then Carrie died. There that extra layer of poignancy and they can’t walk it back now that she’s dead. Kathleen saying 9 was to be Leias film, and they sacked Treverow cos his story to deal with it didn’t come up to standard, leaves it 6-1 half dozen to the other.

We won’t know until the Making of books get published after 9 is released. If they do.

Just found out the cineworld at least are doing 24 hour screenings round the clock for TLJ. Too bad I hate the place.

I reckon the strategy is this:

1 - Release the film showing Leia's emotional and powerful end.
    2 - Let that simmer with the audience and wait for the critical response praising how it was handed beautifully.
    3 - Announce changes had to be made to give her the sending off she deserved in post-release.
    4 - Backlash is muted after everyone agrees it was the perfect ending for her character.

Disney makes a lot of money, fans are pleased, and no backlash to be heard that might affect the film's financial earnings. People have made careers and a lot of money in how to handle PR issues like this. This has been well rehearsed and will be orchestrated down to minute detail.

Either way one of these two things are true:

A - Kennedy lied about Episode IX being Leia's film in order to garner more emotional weight (and money) for the release of VIII.
    B - Kennedy didn't lie and it was to be Leia's film; which means subsequent changes had to be made to account for the fact that she will no longer feature in Episode IX, and the reasons for doing so - death, retirement, holiday, coma, transforms into the force and disappears, etc.

• Advertisement

Falthyron wrote: »
    I reckon the strategy is this:

1 - Release the film showing Leia's emotional and powerful end.
    2 - Let that simmer with the audience and wait for the critical response praising how it was handed beautifully.
    3 - Announce changes had to be made to give her the sending off she deserved in post-release.
    4 - Backlash is muted after everyone agrees it was the perfect ending for her character.

Disney makes a lot of money, fans are pleased, and no backlash to be heard that might affect the film's financial earnings. People have made careers and a lot of money in how to handle PR issues like this. This has been well rehearsed and will be orchestrated down to minute detail.

Either way one of these two things are true:

A - Kennedy lied about Episode IX being Leia's film in order to garner more emotional weight (and money) for the release of VIII.
    B - Kennedy didn't lie and it was to be Leia's film; which means subsequent changes had to be made to account for the fact that she will no longer feature in Episode IX, and the reasons for doing so - death, retirement, holiday, coma, transforms into the force and disappears, etc.

You’re reaching all over the place. Why would they ‘announce’ changes were made when no changes have been made? What backlash exactly? What form will that take? They changed it so Leia dies? They marketed it to manipulate her death? They’ve done neither nor will they. Nobody’s fault Carrie is dead.
    If they’d written her out the same outrage enthusiasts would be (rightly) outraged they’d written her out. They haven’t changed her role even a bit.

There’s a podcast called those conspiracy guys you might really like. It’s brilliant. I love it too.

You’re reaching all over the place. Why would they ‘announce’ changes were made when no changes have been made? What backlash exactly? What form will that take? They changed it so Leia dies? They marketed it to manipulate her death? They’ve done neither nor will they. Nobody’s fault Carrie is dead.
    If they’d written her out the same outrage enthusiasts would be (rightly) outraged they’d written her out. They haven’t changed her role even a bit.

There’s a podcast called those conspiracy guys you might really like. It’s brilliant. I love it too.

No, i'm not.

We don't know if changes have been made or not. I am speculating that they have made changes because of Carrie's death.

Backlash? We are talking about the one franchise that has undergone minor to moderate changes numerous times and where the fan base is still calling for the original cuts as they were back in 1977, 1980, 1983, to be put on Bluray. We are also talking about a franchise that regularly features ferocious and divisive debate over whether or not the prequels were any good. Star Wars and backlash are intrinsically linked.

If they changed the cut to reflect Carrie's death fans may give out and complain saying it dishonors her original performance or character's development and story. If they don't change the cut it could lead to fans complaining that her story goes nowhere; that her character's plot is a loose end and the director has left her with an ambiguous end.

I'm not saying they have marketed the film to manipulate the emotional impact of her death, but I am probing at the idea that Episode IX was Carrie's film and yet Rian's comments suggest she has 'one last outing'. Since when was it decided that it would be her 'last' outing when someone (at some point) decided the final episode in this trilogy would be her film. How could it be her film if The Last Jedi was always going to be her last outing?

I have said nothing about them writing her out of the film. :confused: She clearly has an important role in this film. What I am suggesting/speculating is that some changes must have been made at some point if Episode IX was to be Carrie's film and yet she has a great big send off in The Last Jedi. Both statements, (Rian's and Kennedy's) don't align.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

They’ve not made changes to the film to make Leia’s character die. She will survive and we’ll just have to see how they deal with it in episode IX. This isn’t theory or new news, it’s fact from the initial weeks after she died.

49 days. This is gonna crawl by.

There’s a new book about Luke coming out in a few days. In it it has
    Luke at the battle of Jakku taking down several star destroyers with the force, this points to him being all powerful now but also present on the very planet Rey is left on. It’s those destroyers we see her climbing through in TFA. The plot thickens
    this stuff isn’t required reading but does supplement the movies as the story group weaves all this stuff across the different platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

We all realise that this is a makey uppey story & at the end of the day it's all about the light-sabers,

Zzzzzzzzuuuuubbbbb . . . . zhhhhhhhhhuuuub . . . . bhuzzzzzz ..... zhubbbb

We all realise that this is a makey uppey story & at the end of the day it's all about the light-sabers,

Zzzzzzzzuuuuubbbbb . . . . zhhhhhhhhhuuuub . . . . bhuzzzzzz ..... zhubbbb

You actually nailed the sound in text form. Fair play!!
    I think it all happened a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. And some visiting aliens met a young George Lucas and told him the whole story and he was given the mission to tell the story so our galaxy doesn’t make the same mistakes.

You actually nailed the sound in text form. Fair play!!
    I think it all happened a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. And some visiting aliens met a young George Lucas and told him the whole story and he was given the mission to tell the story so our galaxy doesn’t make the same mistakes.

What happens when they get to the end of Episode 9 ???
    Then Disney announce that the story is now told & their 4 billion cash cow is now complete & won't be raked anymore.
    Or maybe . . . just . . . maybe, Ray might have a kid with Poe who uses the force to bottle feed itself & has the most midichlorians ever ever.
    It's a long story, might take 3 films to tell it.

What happens when they get to the end of Episode 9 ???
    Then Disney announce that the story is now told & their 4 billion cash cow is now complete & won't be raked anymore.
    Or maybe . . . just . . . maybe, Ray might have a kid with Poe who uses the force to bottle feed itself & has the most midichlorians ever ever.
    It's a long story, might take 3 films to tell it.

JJ recently said that in 9 he’s going to tie all three trilogies together. That sounds to me like they’ll bring the skywalker saga to an end. *and that damned prophesy will rear it’s ugly head again.

Very little doubt there will be future trilogies but it doesn’t look like it will involve skywalkers or the Jedi / Force stuff as we understand it.

Very little doubt there will be future trilogies but it doesn’t look like it will involve skywalkers or the Jedi / Force stuff as we understand it.

A long time ago, but not as long as the first time, in a galaxy far far away

Haha! Love it :)
    Always said we need a spaceballs trilogy. That looks like the perfect opening line for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

JJ recently said that in 9 he’s going to tie all three trilogies together. That sounds to me like they’ll bring the skywalker saga to an end. *and that damned prophesy will rear it’s ugly head again.

Then it's not Star Wars. Star Wars is the story of the Skywalkers, more specifically Anakin. If it is no longer about them, then it should be renamed as something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Then it's not Star Wars. Star Wars is the story of the Skywalkers, more specifically Anakin. If it is no longer about them, then it should be renamed as something else.

Not really. I mean the Star Wars films are about the Skywalkers, but there's a giant universe that has nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

titan18 wrote: »
    Not really. I mean the Star Wars films are about the Skywalkers, but there's a giant universe that has nothing to do with them.

Fan fiction. The old canon was always meaningless in that sense. The new expanded canon ties in with the films and so is directly related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,448 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Rogue One' had little to nothing to do with the Skywalkers and showed Star Wars can work perfectly well without them.

• Advertisement

For a wonder I agree with Tony. Star Wars can and should work and move away from the Skywalker story. However the force and/or Jedi/sith should always have a role to play. Even as backdrop like we saw in Rogue one with Chirrut and Baze as temple guards who still believe when no one around them does.

Can’t see them letting it retire after 9 too though, Rey is too popular and too loved to just let her go. Skywalker or not she’s the key to further films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Fan fiction. The old canon was always meaningless in that sense. The new expanded canon ties in with the films and so is directly related

Star Wars Rebels doesn't have much to do with them. I know set within the same time period and occasionally in it, but it's more about other characters than them.

Anyone watching Rebels? The last two episodes tied into rogue one so much it was deadly. Only 6 episodes left I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Rebels is good.

It's hard to shake this awkward feeling that they might link
    Snoke
    into the story somehow. I mean like, they're giving
    the two Jedi face scars all over the place. Now Kanan is blind so it's unlikely but Ezra is young and the scars run up his cheeks.

ah no, nevermind:
    https://screenrant.com/star-wars-rebels-ezra-snoke-theory/
    Star Wars Rebels showrunner Dave Filoni refutes a popular fan theory that claims the character of Ezra becomes Supreme Leader Snoke, but says he loves all the speculation the franchise inspires
    “I try and beat around the bush. I like reading the fan theories, and when I read them, I think, ‘Well, there’s no possible reason that that can’t be true, it’s just not true.'”

Nah they won’t go there. Chopper appearing and Heras name being called in Rogue one is as close as Rebels is gonna get to the films.
    That said, it’s a kids show. Ezra and Kanan have to be dealt with. He’s the same age as Luke, he’s pretty much fully trained, and he somehow isn’t around as part of the rebellion in the OT?

You’d wonder.

Hrmmm.

I glimpsed a potential big spoiler that may have come out about
    Reys Origins

Might be worthwhile.. to others.. to avoid Episode VIII news for a bit

Slydice wrote: »
    Hrmmm.

I glimpsed a potential big spoiler that may have come out about
    Reys Origins

Might be worthwhile.. to others.. to avoid Episode VIII news for a bit

The driver interview? Nah I wouldn’t look too much into it though doubtless the clickbait sites will run wild with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

So I guess Luke doesn't have his green lightsaber anymore.

Advertisement