Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

International trailer been released. Little bit different.

So I guess Luke doesn't have his green lightsaber anymore.

It’s in R2’s noggin. Count on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Not sure where to put this, but I reckon many will take up the offer to see The Last Jedi so maybe this is the best place.

The ODEON at Blanchardstown is getting an IMAX Screen. If you go on to the ODEON Blanch website and try to book tickets for The Last Jedi you will see the iMAX 3D option. I thought this was a mistake as I visit Blanch regularly (the butter popcorn... /drool) and hadn't seen anything about a new screen or changes being made. So, I contacted ODEON and asked them if it was a mistake. The agent was surprised as much as I, but he rang the manager at Blanchardstown and he/she confirmed that an IMAX screen will be up and running for The Last Jedi.

Now, as to whether or not its a real IMAX, I don't know. It could be a lieMAX similar to CineWorld. The agent also mentioned that the screen will be contain full reclining seating. Interesting times ahead. Does anyone know if any of the walls in Blanch would be large enough to display full IMAX?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Falthyron wrote: »
    Not sure where to put this, but I reckon many will take up the offer to see The Last Jedi so maybe this is the best place.

The ODEON at Blanchardstown is getting an IMAX Screen. If you go on to the ODEON Blanch website and try to book tickets for The Last Jedi you will see the iMAX 3D option. I thought this was a mistake as I visit Blanch regularly (the butter popcorn... /drool) and hadn't seen anything about a new screen or changes being made. So, I contacted ODEON and asked them if it was a mistake. The agent was surprised as much as I, but he rang the manager at Blanchardstown and he/she confirmed that an IMAX screen will be up and running for The Last Jedi.

Now, as to whether or not its a real IMAX, I don't know. It could be a lieMAX similar to CineWorld. The agent also mentioned that the screen will be contain full reclining seating. Interesting times ahead. Does anyone know if any of the walls in Blanch would be large enough to display full IMAX?

it's 100% definitely not proper IMAX. Probably something similar to what cineworld have.

So if Rey is a princess in hiding, any thoughts on what she is hiding from?

In an ideal world, spoilers. She is hiding from spoilers.

• Advertisement

On Rey. Something I heard this week that I never considered. We all assume cos we don’t know who rey is, we assume she doesn’t know who she is. Fact is she probably does know and even remembers. And her knowing is what Rian meant when he said it’s only important as it relates to her not to the overall story.

We’ve probably built it up way to much.

Princess? King Prunahs daughter maybe? Haha

So if Rey is a princess in hiding, any thoughts on what she is hiding from?

The author of the article said they’d made that quote click baity on purpose and you have to buy the magazine to get the actual full quote and story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

It's screen 9 they are converting, 300 recliners was there yesterday had a chat with some if staff. Def liemax like cine world, but better than nothing.

McDermotX wrote: »

YES!!!!!!!

Huge spoilers but I don’t care that was brilliant :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

david75 wrote: »
    YES!!!!!!!

Huge spoilers but I don’t care that was brilliant :)

Reluctant to watch. Is it an official tv spot or what?

py2006 wrote: »
    Reluctant to watch. Is it an official tv spot or what?

Official tv spot yeah. LOADS given away in it but man sooooo brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Some interesting details about what terms (American?) cinemas must abide by to show The Last Jedi: unfortunately the full WSJ is behind a paywall, but io9 ran a summary. Can't speak to how unusual or not these terms are compared with other studios and their big-big releases, or indeed what UK / IE cinemas have to abide by, but still make for interesting reading... the cancellation note seems particularly harsh.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/disney-to-theaters-showing-the-last-jedi-i-am-altering-1820052024
    According to the Wall Street Journal, theater owners have to agree to a serious and unusual set of terms in order to earn the privilege of showing the new Star Wars movie. First, Disney is insisting on a 65 percent share of ticket-sales revenue, up from a standard 55 percent asked by most Hollywood studios, what WSJ calls “a new benchmark.”

Disney is also requiring theaters to reserve at least four weeks in the largest auditorium available exclusively for The Last Jedi screenings. And if a theater violates any of the above terms? Well, then Disney reserves the right to charge an additional five percent of ticket sales revenue as penalty for the violation. This includes if the theater cancels even one screening of the film without Disney’s consent.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Some interesting details about what terms (American?) cinemas must abide by to show The Last Jedi: unfortunately the full WSJ is behind a paywall, but io9 ran a summary. Can't speak to how unusual or not these terms are compared with other studios and their big-big releases, or indeed what UK / IE cinemas have to abide by, but still make for interesting reading... the cancellation note seems particularly harsh.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/disney-to-theaters-showing-the-last-jedi-i-am-altering-1820052024

Bigger cinemas and cinema chains will be only too happy to comply. You’d feel for smaller and independent cinemas in small towns who this is going to screw over. A few owners of these types of places speak in that piece about how it makes no sense for them and they’re gonna lose out big time.

Weird Disney don’t adapt these rules for different size cities and cinemas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,448 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Disney aren't interested in anything else but maximising their profit. They don't care if smaller cinemas lose out.

As I said before, we're talking about a company that sues creche's because of paintings of Mickey Mouse on a wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

So looks like Rey does go to the bad mens house to talk

J Mysterio wrote: »
    So looks like Rey does go to the bad mens house to talk

WIllingly or as captive? To talk or be tortured?

Maybe she goes there to save her friends? This could still end up having many similarities with Empire, enough to think soft reboot akin to The Force Awakens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

*starts reading posts*
    432281.gif

Maybe she goes there to save her friends? This could still end up having many similarities with Empire, enough to think soft reboot akin to The Force Awakens.

I don’t know if you have watched but I have and I can happily come report this film is in no way at all Empire. I’m sure there will be those that try cling to that notion but they’ll have little surface contact to adhere to.

• Advertisement

I don’t know if you have watched but I have and I can happily come report this film is in no way at all Empire. I’m sure there will be those that try cling to that notion but they’ll have little surface contact to adhere to.

You have seen the film already? How?

You have seen the film already? How?

Jaysis I wish. I meant the trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

We'll, there'll bo one similarity to Empire, given both are the middle part of a trilogy. There'll be an almighty cliffhanger ending which will make seeing the final part a must see.

Ps just to say, if they were just going to retread the original movies, then ESB is not a bad one to copy compared to the other mid trilogy movie - Attack of the Clones !

Wedwood wrote: »
    We'll, there'll bo one similarity to Empire, given both are the middle part of a trilogy. There'll be an almighty cliffhanger ending which will make seeing the final part a must see.

Ps just to say, if they were just going to retread the original movies, then ESB is not a bad one to copy compared to the other mid trilogy movie - Attack of the Clones !

The only way I can see it doing it if it mirrors empire but it’s all inverse. Luke refuses to train Rey so she does it herself. Rey goes to kill Luke by the end. She leaves with kylo to go to Snoke.

Pretty much an opposite of everything that Luke goes through in ESB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw the trailer for it at the cinema yesterday. It was fantastic

branie2 wrote: »
    I saw the trailer for it at the cinema yesterday. It was fantastic

Do you remember if it t was the main 3 minute one we got few weeks back of a shorter version?

There’s 4 different length trailers destined for cinemas. Only the first has been shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think it was the 3 minute one

branie2 wrote: »
    I think it was the 3 minute one

Brillo thanks for that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

The only way I can see it doing it if it mirrors empire but it’s all inverse. Luke refuses to train Rey so she does it herself. Rey goes to kill Luke by the end. She leaves with kylo to go to Snoke.

Pretty much an opposite of everything that Luke goes through in ESB.

That's the obvious way the trailers are making it look. Rian has said that he's made agreements that marketing can't show/spoil certain to many aspects and visuals from the film, so I'd not swallow the path these trailers lead you to hook, line and sinker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Film will be 2h30m ... nice one ...

Advertisement