Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

IX. Sorry. Typo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I honestly don't get the negativity. I'm delighted with this news. People need to remember that Star Wars is still trying to shake off the stain of the prequels and so far, a few quibbles aside, I think it's doing a very good job. And with this news you'd have to be confident that Rian Johnson has done something special with 'The Last Jedi'.

Regarding the comment above about a Skywalker descendant being involved, it's going to be a completely blank canvas from a 'corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored'. That's good enough for me. But why would someone say it's got to be Old Republic or nothing? Why box yourself into a corner like that? And clearly it's not going to be Old Republic (as we know it) if it's a blank canvas.

Personally I think the new trilogy will be from a much earlier era and maybe it will be influenced by the Old Republic but with totally new characters and situations. Yes, they're going to make a bucketload of cash but they're keeping the flame alive and that's good enough for me.

I honestly don't get the negativity. I'm delighted with this news. People need to remember that Star Wars is still trying to shake off the stain of the prequels and so far, a few quibbles aside, I think it's doing a very good job. And with this news you'd have to be confident that Rian Johnson has done something special with 'The Last Jedi'.

Regarding the comment above about a Skywalker descendant being involved, it's going to be a completely blank canvas from a 'corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored'. That's good enough for me. But why would someone say it's got to be Old Republic or nothing? Why box yourself into a corner like that? And clearly it's not going to be Old Republic (as we know it) if it's a blank canvas.

Personally I think the new trilogy will be from a much earlier era and maybe it will be influenced by the Old Republic but with totally new characters and situations. Yes, they're going to make a bucketload of cash but they're keeping the flame alive and that's good enough for me.

Because complaining it’s a total cash grab and then demanding Old Republic or gtfo in the same comment makes total sense and isn’t a complete contradiction at all.

But yeah the majority of people seem to have read the headlines and not bothered to read the actual statements from Lucasfilm, Iger and KK. We’re going to see a part of Star Wars universe we’ve never seen before with characters we’ve never seen before. Bring it.

Plenty of people here and elsewhere vocally and repeatedly moaning Star Wars was creatively spent and LF too scared to branch out. Here they are doing it and no doubt there’ll still be complaints. Can’t win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

david75 wrote: »
    Because complaining it’s a total cash grab and then demanding Old Republic or gtfo in the same comment makes total sense and isn’t a complete contradiction at all.

But yeah the majority of people seem to have read the headlines and not bothered to read the actual statements from Lucasfilm, Iger and KK. We’re going to see a part of Star Wars universe we’ve never seen before with characters we’ve never seen before. Bring it.

Plenty of people here and elsewhere vocally and repeatedly moaning Star Wars was creatively spent and LF too scared to branch out. Here they are doing it and no doubt there’ll still be complaints. Can’t win.

Hyperbole oozes from this post.

It is not a contradiction to say Disney are going for the cash grab and yet the same people call for a film(s) set in The Old Republic era. The cash grab suggestion is based on the notion of 'safe' film making. If Disney continue to make films based on characters we have already seen or follow themes that have been done already through the other Star Wars films then it can be considered 'safe' film making. That is: it cost us a lot of money, so lets play it safe and rehash what people enjoyed before.

Asking for The Old Republic is one call for Disney to grow a pair and try something different, be risky, be ambitious. Its Star Wars! If it was directed by Uwe Boll, people would still hand over cash to see whatever shít he made. In many respects the franchise itself is a safe bet, so why compound that safety by making rather plain films that follow what has been done before? Show some ambition!

I wouldn't take corporate executives on their word so lightly, David. Technically, Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 are now considered non-canon, so should Disney go down this path a film based on them would be fresh, new, and never seen before. Moreover, to the film audience, that era has never been seen before.

Also, I haven't said Star Wars is creatively spent, I am simply saying that Disney are creatively spent when it comes to the license. They have yet to produce a film as iconic or impactful as Star Wars (1977). As I said before, they are competent films, but show some ambition and do something different for once. I can understand trying to start a new franchise and playing it safe, but Star Wars, by its very nature is a safe franchise, so go wild!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,448 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I honestly don't get the negativity.

The "negativity" stems from the abundance of previous evidence where something is milked so much that it becomes insipid.

The new TV show doesn't surprise me, but it'll probably be a bland, safe and ultimately boring effort, a la the Marvel stuff that's floating around at the moment, which is just so colourless. Anyone expecting a 'Game of Thrones' level of involvement is going to be very disappointed. Considering something as twee as 'Rebels' garners fairly large audiences outside of its 7 year old target range, I can't see Disney moving too far away from that with a live action series. I will be pleasantly surprised if it has any kind of balls whatsoever.

The new trilogy isn't really a shock either, despite Kennedy say that the trilogy format was dead. However, personally, I hope it isn't the Old Republic. I don't what the draw is for some about that era, other than a game that was produced a decade ago and some EU stuff. For me, it's always been sub par fan fiction. However, "Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored." is welcome.

http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/rian-johnson-star-wars-trilogy?li_source=LI&li_medium=wikia-rail

For me, I'd like to see Star Wars move forward, not backwards. Come with some new bloody stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah come on; and what makes the constant sniping about negativity and moaning any more fun to read? As if the only allowed response is blind hype or GTFO. Reading those kind of comments don't help either, and frankly just serve to antagonise people further :)

Here's a point of view that I think is fair on balance: there's not enough information to go on right now - so both so-called moaning & blind-faith hype are two sides of the exact same coin. All speculation, both liable to be wrong.

From my point of view, well I can't speak for others, but looking beyond the headline of it simply being more Star Wars, it was an announcement of a new trilogy at a Disney financial GM; you're right, I personally would like to Lucasfilm to branch out in more creative angles, but the optics of the announcement came across like updates to a production line, rather than something inherently creative.

In a week of Disney supposedly trying to acquire Fox Entertainment, occasionally it can be quite tiring to be at the receiving end of Disney's never-ending conveyor of entertainment - be it Star Wars, Marvel or potentially, Fox.

We shall see, but for now, all angles are valid points of discussion.

Falthyron wrote: »

It is not a contradiction to say Disney are going for the cash grab and yet the same people call for a film(s) set in The Old Republic era. The cash grab suggestion is based on the notion of 'safe' film making. If Disney continue to make films based on characters we have already seen or follow themes that have been done already through the other Star Wars films then it can be considered 'safe' film making. That is: it cost us a lot of money, so lets play it safe and rehash what people enjoyed before.

Asking for The Old Republic is one call for Disney to grow a pair and try something different, be risky, be ambitious. Its Star Wars! If it was directed by Uwe Boll, people would still hand over cash to see whatever shít he made. In many respects the franchise itself is a safe bet, so why compound that safety by making rather plain films that follow what has been done before? Show some ambition!

I wouldn't take corporate executives on their word so lightly, David. Technically, Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 are now considered non-canon, so should Disney go down this path a film based on them would be fresh, new, and never seen before. Moreover, to the film audience, that era has never been seen before.

Also, I haven't said Star Wars is creatively spent, I am simply saying that Disney are creatively spent when it comes to the license. They have yet to produce a film as iconic or impactful as Star Wars (1977). As I said before, they are competent films, but show some ambition and do something different for once. I can understand trying to start a new franchise and playing it safe, but Star Wars, by its very nature is a safe franchise, so go wild!

A very tiny vocal minority of fanbois are screaming KOTOR. it will never happen on the big screen. Wish they’d just get over it. It’s beyond niche, and an impossible sell to the general public and I’m totally lost as to how making it would be showing ‘balls’. It was a B rate video game with its own canon construct and no reach past its found audience.

Look up the success rate of video game adaptations in recent or all time Hollywood / box office history.

There’s the main reason you’ll never see it made. They’re catastrophies on screen that lose immense amounts of money.

Tony EH wrote: »
    The "negativity" stems from the abundance of previous evidence where something is milked so much that it becomes insipid.

The new TV show doesn't surprise me, but it'll probably be a bland, safe and ultimately boring effort, a la the Marvel stuff that's floating around at the moment, which is just so colourless. Anyone expecting a 'Game of Thrones' level of involvement is going to be very disappointed. Considering something as twee as 'Rebels' garners fairly large audiences outside of its 7 year old target range, I can't see Disney moving too far away from that with a live action series. I will be pleasantly surprised if it has any kind of balls whatsoever.

The new trilogy isn't really a shock either, despite Kennedy say that the trilogy format was dead. However, personally, I hope it isn't the Old Republic. I don't what the draw is for some about that era, other than a game that was produced a decade ago and some EU stuff. For me, it's always been sub par fan fiction. However, "Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored." is welcome.

http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/rian-johnson-star-wars-trilogy?li_source=LI&li_medium=wikia-rail

For me, I'd like to see Star Wars move forward, not backwards. Come with some new bloody stuff.

Dunno Tony. Iger has previously named GOT specifically at some point as what they’d like to aspire to for ‘a potential future Star Wars series’. I’ll try find the quote but the context was about Star Wars on tv.
    Wouldn’t be too quick to say it’ll be just for kids again. They have another animated series in production and under wraps which will be on this new disney channel too. Good odds this live action one will be adult based and pitched for world syndication to make its money back.

*will we even get that disney channel here? Doubtful ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

A very tiny vocal minority of fanbois are screaming KOTOR. it will never happen on the big screen. Wish they’d just get over it. It’s beyond niche, and an impossible sell to the general public and I’m totally lost as to how making it would be showing ‘balls’. It was a B rate video game with its own canon construct and no reach past its found audience.

Look up the success rate of video game adaptations in recent or all time Hollywood / box office history.

There’s the main reason you’ll never see it made. They’re catastrophies on screen that lose immense amounts of money.

Sigh... First of all, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic is the highest rated Star Wars game made to date. Its writing and setting was lauded at the time. Its sequel, developed by a different studio is considered even better by the supposed 'fanbois' you refer to. Personally, KotOR1 had a greater impact on me as a game than its sequel.

Secondly, I didn't ask that they carbon-copy KotOR1 and translate it into film format verbatim. I simply suggested a film set in that period, which implies, far from the Skywalker Saga and anything connected to the originals, prequels, or sequels. The period has been given great treatment by BioWare and there is plenty to work with, particularly, stuff that doesn't come near any of the tropes seen in the current films.

Thirdly, they don't explicitly have to follow the Old Republic as shown in the games. They can avoid your supposed 'videogames don't make good movies' argument by pretending the Old Republic has never existed in the first place, which is sort of what they have done already by making the games non-canon.

Fourthly, it is not niche. It is Star Wars. As I have already argued, you can pretty much make any decent film and stick the Star Wars logo on it, some references to the other films, and it will still sell a tonne. Why? Because it has Star War in the title. The Old Republic era is merely another period under the Star Wars moniker and they can go anywhere with it. Hell, if they really wanted to follow it, and be bold, they could make the trilogy about a Sith padawan and cover that character's entire history and perspective. Daring, ambitious, and quite possibly, far more interesting.

Play KotOR 1 and 2, David. You are the very definition of 'fanbois' so you really ought to play two of the most well known non-canon games and stories available to Star Wars fans. If you watch the cartoons and read the novels, really should see what everyone is talking about when it comes to KotOR. You might be surprised...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not mine but a Pretty solid guess.

My guess for the future of #StarWars:

5/2018: Solo
    12/2019: Episode IX
    12/2020: Obi Wan
    12/2021: RJ Episode I
    12/2022: SW Story IV
    12/2023: RJ Episode II
    12/2024: SW Story V
    12/2025: RJ Episode III
    12/2026: SW Story VI
    12/2027 EPISODE X*

*50th Anniversary of Episode IV.

Is SW Story 3 confirmed as being an Obi Wan film?

I'd love to see a Palpatine film somewhere along the line.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,830 ✭✭✭buried

What we really need is a Salacious Crumb origin story film. Where did he come from? What's this yokes angle? Is there a planet of these lads? We simply must know. Come on Disney, imagine the toy sales.

/\

I want to know what the B. stands for in Salacious B. Crumb.

Please let it be Bollocks.

God, can you imagine a planet of those guys. Suddenly the Gungans don't seem so bad.

Actually, no...scratch that.

Sigh... First of all, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic is the highest rated Star Wars game made to date. Its writing and setting was lauded at the time. Its sequel, developed by a different studio is considered even better by the supposed 'fanbois' you refer to. Personally, KotOR1 had a greater impact on me as a game than its sequel.

Secondly, I didn't ask that they carbon-copy KotOR1 and translate it into film format verbatim. I simply suggested a film set in that period, which implies, far from the Skywalker Saga and anything connected to the originals, prequels, or sequels. The period has been given great treatment by BioWare and there is plenty to work with, particularly, stuff that doesn't come near any of the tropes seen in the current films.

Thirdly, they don't explicitly have to follow the Old Republic as shown in the games. They can avoid your supposed 'videogames don't make good movies' argument by pretending the Old Republic has never existed in the first place, which is sort of what they have done already by making the games non-canon.

Fourthly, it is not niche. It is Star Wars. As I have already argued, you can pretty much make any decent film and stick the Star Wars logo on it, some references to the other films, and it will still sell a tonne. Why? Because it has Star War in the title. The Old Republic era is merely another period under the Star Wars moniker and they can go anywhere with it. Hell, if they really wanted to follow it, and be bold, they could make the trilogy about a Sith padawan and cover that character's entire history and perspective. Daring, ambitious, and quite possibly, far more interesting.

Play KotOR 1 and 2, David. You are the very definition of 'fanbois' so you really ought to play two of the most well known non-canon games and stories available to Star Wars fans. If you watch the cartoons and read the novels, really should see what everyone is talking about when it comes to KotOR. You might be surprised...

I tried it years ago. It just felt like really bad fan fiction. There’s an interesting premise but just wasn’t for me at all. It didn’t inform the story of Star Wars in a big way but I have zero investment in revans or any of that stuff either. If it all wasn’t so badly written and frankly stupid storylines all that’s stuff would still be canon.

A cool compromise would be if he was making three films even firther back than that about the very very first origins of force users up to the formation of the Jedi. That could be cool. Have a feeling the force and Jedi are topics he’s going to put up front and center of these films or avoid totally. Either way it’s clear from Kennedy’s statement it’s soemthing and somewhere we’ve never seen before.
    That’s just really cool.

buried wrote: »
    What we really need is a Salacious Crumb origin story film. Where did he come from? What's this yokes angle? Is there a planet of these lads? We simply must know. Come on Disney, imagine the toy sales.

There is kind of an origin story for him in that book from a certain point of view. Told by a flea that lives in his ear and witness’s all the events the day luke comes to jabbas palace :)

There is kind of an origin story for him in that book from a certain point of view. Told by a flea that lives in his ear and witness’s all the events the day luke comes to jabbas palace :)

Please tell me that's a joke.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Please tell me that's a joke.

No. Deadly serious. It’s a funny story but the premise is the events we know from Star Wars but told from different characters and background caracters points of view. Some of the stories are brilliant. Particularly the Yoda and obi wan stories. Others are really weird.
    Like the gunner who didn’t shoot down the escape pod r2 and 3PO are on getting his mate in administration to cover up for him so he doesn’t get choked by Vader cos they escaped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭geecee

I think a Looper type time travel tale in the Star Wars universe would be pretty cool

Re-do parts of the whole original trilogy with time travel scenes like DS9 did with Trials and Tribble-ations... whilst the antagonist tries to keep the timelines intact

(I know its been done before with Continuum and Travelers... but I'm a time travel fan!)

Or how about a Trek like Mirror universe...
    Evil Goatee'd Han Solo, his terrorist girlfriend Leia, her psychopath brother Luke and their torture droids try to overthrow benevolent King Palpatine and his Santa Clause like helper Lord Vader!

geecee wrote: »
    I think a Looper type time travel tale in the Star Wars universe would be pretty cool

Re-do parts of the whole original trilogy with time travel scenes like DS9 did with Trials and Tribble-ations... whilst the antagonist tries to keep the timelines intact

(I know its been done before with Continuum and Travelers... but I'm a time travel fan!)

Evil Goatee'd Han Solo, his terrorist girlfriend Leia, her psychopath brother Luke and their torture droids try to overthrow benevolent King Palpatine and his Santa Clause like helper Lord Vader!

Someone’s on the Sherry :)

• Advertisement

GOOD NEWS.

The Savoy has confirmed it will be showing the last Jedi in screen one until mid January. Man they’ve missed the boat on ticket sales I reckon but I’ll definitely go see it there opening day now.

https://www.facebook.com/entertainment.ie/posts/10155826885066354

Rumblings from making Star Wars that Rians trilogy is going to be going way way back to the very origins of the Jedi. So even way before KOTOR.
    Ahch to is confirmed to be the first Jedi temple so if it happens this way presumably loads more filming in Ireland.
    This is cool.

GOOD NEWS.

The Savoy has confirmed it will be showing the last Jedi in screen one until mid January. Man they’ve missed the boat on ticket sales I reckon but I’ll definitely go see it there opening day now.

https://www.facebook.com/entertainment.ie/posts/10155826885066354

Nice one. I had actually held off buying my opening night tickets for the Lighthouse as the Savoy hadn't officially said anything, even though it looked like there would be no Screen 1 showings.

I'll still go to the Lighthouse for my second viewing but I've seen every Star Wars film in Savoy 1, it's a nice tradition to keep going even if it's for the last time.

They are showing some ambition, they are doing something different. We just don't know the specifics of it yet. Give them a chance. We haven't even seen the second film in this trilogy yet!

Nice one. I had actually held off buying my opening night tickets for the Lighthouse as the Savoy hadn't officially said anything, even though it looked like there would be no Screen 1 showings.

I'll still go to the Lighthouse for my second viewing but I've seen every Star Wars film in Savoy 1, it's a nice tradition to keep going even if it's for the last time.

Yeah Same. have lighthouse at midnight booked and first showing there next morning but I might cancel it and swap over to savoy. It’s the best place to see new Star Wars :)

They are showing some ambition, they are doing something different. We just don't know the specifics of it yet. Give them a chance. We haven't even seen the second film in this trilogy yet!

There is a very vocal element in Star Wars fans that write everything off as sh!t before it’s even made, If it isn’t the thing they want to see made. As above. With the result there’s always outrage cos they simply can’t please everyone cos the spectrum of demands is so broad and often ridiculous. The next few months after this film will see this but amplified up to 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Yes but Disney will figure out some way of sticking R2D2 and C3PO in there :D

It's not just the game tho, there are great EU novels from this era too ...

geecee wrote: »

No way, this might work for hard sci fi like Star Trek - but Star Wars is more fantasy, time travel doesn't belong in Star Wars universe and should be kept out.

Just my opinion of course :)

• Advertisement

RIan is a huge fan of time travel apparently but no way will it ever appear in Star Wars. A good clue that his trilogy will be about the formation of the Jedi is its going way back in time. That’s his consolation prize maybe :)

Advertisement