Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

‘Commentary track time’. I cannot wait to hear him talk about making this film.

https://instagram.com/p/BcBiJZvjBnl/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

david75 wrote: »
    ‘Commentary track time’. I cannot wait to hear him talk about making this film.

https://instagram.com/p/BcBiJZvjBnl/

He is putting those that made Rogue One and Solo to shame with how effective, efficient and how few problems they've had in making the movie. TFA was only 100% completed days in advance of the premiere. It may have only been small little touches but this was locked and loaded a month or so already.

He is putting those that made Rogue One and Solo to shame with how effective, efficient and how few problems they've had in making the movie. TFA was only 100% completed days in advance of the premiere. It may have only been small little touches but this was locked and loaded a month or so already.

It’s was locked in September! I’m sure he doesn’t of course mean to put everyone else to shame, anything can and will go wrong on a movie set. TFA wouldn’t have been troubled had it not been for Fords accident on the falcon but that accident enabled some rewrites and reshoots for rey and Finn and that worked out for the better.

His new trilogy though. I’m guessing he’s gonna write them all and they’ll all be shot at once / back to back a la LOTR. He can’t give up six years of his life can he? I’m sure different directors will do the second and third instalments but let’s see.

He’s doing a live twitter AMA later today and I’m sure this question or a version of it will be asked and answered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,447 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Maybe this was an easier film to make? It's probably two people in Kerry for a large part of it. Nobody's seen this yet. It could be a quickly made pile of garbage.

In any case, it was Disney who wanted the changes in 'Rogue One'. I'd say Edwards "war documentary" approach and everyone dying on the beach was perfectly fine. Would have suited me anyway.

Solo on the other hand is a clusterfuck from beginning to end. But, again, this is largely Disney's fault, who want to cash in on a famous name and put all other considerations further down the list, way further down.

If those two films were made less efficiently, it's down to the mouse house for the most part.

• Advertisement

Optimistic as always Tony:) good timing though.
    FB just reminded me it was three years ago today we got the first teaser for the force awakens

Optimistic as always Tony:)

I don't believe in optimism or pessimism.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I don't believe in optimism or pessimism.

You’re the Yoko Ono of Star Wars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

He’s doing a live twitter AMA later today and I’m sure this question or a version of it will be asked and answered.

will you post link/transcript later?

will you post link/transcript later?

Ooh. Never thought of that. Good call I will yeah. I’m sure a ton of sites will collate all the questions and replies.

You can send him one just hashtag #rianjohnson to the Star Wars official account.

He answered my tweet the other day. question about *****
    Here’s the answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Solo on the other hand is a clusterfuck from beginning to end. But, again, this is largely Disney's fault, who want to cash in on a famous name and put all other considerations further down the list, way further down.

I dunno now, apparently the script is fantastic from Kasdan. The house of mouse made bad decisions if they weren't on par with what they wanted with who they hired. I'd love to see those guys do a Star Wars movie with new characters and make an out an out comedy adventure if that's their intention. I'm sure Solo will be plenty funny but just not to the extent that the original directors were taking it.

I dunno now, apparently the script is fantastic from Kasdan. The house of mouse made bad decisions if they weren't on par with what they wanted with who they hired. I'd love to see those guys do a Star Wars movie with new characters and make an out an out comedy adventure if that's their intention. I'm sure Solo will be plenty funny but just not to the extent that the original directors were taking it.

Well, they would say it's fantastic wouldn't they. They'd hardly say "Well, the script's a bit shite, but hey Han Solo ay??" That would still probably be OK with some people though.

But, from the evidence I've seen so far, the only conclusion that can be drawn is that Disney screwed up really badly here with hiring L+M. They're famous for a singular approach to their comedies and as soon as they were on board, I expected the same one trick pony approach. I knew that. Everyone else knew it. So, why didn't Disney not expect such an outcome. Bizarre, to say the very least.

At least Kennedy and Co called a halt and did the right thing. But, more than likely, what we'll get with 'Solo' will be something akin to 'Terminator Genysis'. Something fans didn't want, or ask for and it'll be a sub par cash grab entry, that'll just sit there like a sore thumb in the entire franchise. Into the bargain, the actor switch will further exacerbate that uncomfortable feeling. It'll end up being a mild curiosty piece, but, probably one that you'll have to skip over if you're going to watch the saga in a back to back binge.

Unless the review of this are abolsutely spectacular, it'll be the first Star Wars film I won't bother with in the cinema. I think it'll do more to **** up the image of Han Solo more than anything else.

I'm genuinely hoping that this flops, because Disney need a warning shot across their bow. If 'Solo' does well, expect more actor changes for Luke, Leia, Jimmy Scrambles and whatnot, with people that look nothing like the original actors. The whole thing will become a mess and characters will end up meaning nothing at all. Disney will essentially "Marvelize" Star Wars into an insipid, McDonalds-style consumer product. To be eaten and forgotten about 20 minutes later.

Well, they would say it's fantastic wouldn't they. They'd hardly say "Well, the script's a bit shite, but hey Han Solo ay??" That would still probably be OK with some people though.

But, from the evidence I've seen so far, the only conclusion that can be drawn is that Disney screwed up really badly here with hiring L+M. They're famous for a singular approach to their comedies and as soon as they were on board, I expected the same one trick pony approach. I knew that. Everyone else knew it. So, why didn't Disney not expect such an outcome. Bizarre, to say the very least.

At least Kennedy and Co called a halt and did the right thing. But, more than likely, what we'll get with 'Solo' will be something akin to 'Terminator Genysis'. Something fans didn't want, or ask for and it'll be a sub par cash grab entry, that'll just sit there like a sore thumb in the entire franchise. Into the bargain, the actor switch will further exacerbate that uncomfortable feeling. It'll end up being a mild curiosty piece, but, probably one that you'll have to skip over if you're going to watch the saga in a back to back binge.

Unless the review of this are abolsutely spectacular, it'll be the first Star Wars film I won't bother with in the cinema. I think it'll do more to **** up the image of Han Solo more than anything else.

I'm genuinely hoping that this flops, because Disney need a warning shot across their bow. If 'Solo' does well, expect more actor changes for Luke, Leia, Jimmy Scrambles and whatnot, with people that look nothing like the original actors. The whole thing will become a mess and characters will end up meaning nothing at all. Disney will essentially "Marvelize" Star Wars into an insipid, McDonalds-style consumer product. To be eaten and forgotten about 20 minutes later.

I think you’re missing an important point. They handled L&M situation exactly how they handled the Gareth Edwards situation.

Director(s) going totally off the map making it up as they go, airlift them off the project and get it back on track with safe hands of a capable director.
    The situation was far more serious with rogue one. 40% reshot with only 2 months to release remember.

And yet rogue one turned out fine. Edwards played along and got credit but the film was taken off him completely by all accounts. Lord and miller had a completely toxic relationship with certainly the cast and that worked up to producers finding out and taking them off.
    They were very gracious about it a couple of weeks ago but fact remains the two situations are exactly the same. Han far less serious as it’s coming to the end of post production and a comfortable 7 months out from release.

If you think a project is doomed because a director gets replaced ill simply point you towards rogue one. They made course correction for the best of the film and it worked. Han will be no different.

Ps there was no actor switch for Han. Dunno where you pulled that from.

I think you’re missing an important point. They handled L&M situation exactly how they handled the Gareth Edwards situation.

They didn't though. The asked for reshoots on 'Rogue One'. They drop kicked L+M out the door and made 'Solo' Ronnie's film. L+M will have absolutely nothing to do with 'Solo'.
    Director(s) going totally off the map making it up as they go, airlift them off the project and get it back on track with safe hands of a capable director.
    The situation was far more serious with rogue one. 40% reshot with only 2 months to release remember.

There's nothing to suggest that Edwards "went off the map". It appears that Disney weren't comfortable with everyone dying on the beach at the end and wanted something more action oriented. It was probably just too depressing for them and a bit too D-Day(ish) in the original shoot. But, still probably within what Edwards agreed to deliver. Also, according to Edwards himself - who's been quite frank about the whole thing - the running time for the finale was just too long and needed to be "compressed". Plus with release dates not on their side, Edwards was given space to oversee effects, a lot of which hadn't been completed, and Gilroy (somebody who Edwards had worked with before and is a buffy of his) handled the reshoots, none of which were terribly dissimilar to what went before anyway. It's still Edward's film, Edwards still enjoys the royalties, Edwards is on the promotional material, etc.

L+M, on the other hand, were making a meta farce and got the boot.
    Edwards played along and got credit but the film was taken off him completely by all accounts.

That's not true, by any account.
    If you think a project is doomed because a director...

That's not what I said.
    Ps there was no actor switch for Han. Dunno where you pulled that from.

Oh, so Harrison Ford is starring in 'Solo'? That might look wierd.

They didn't though. The asked for reshoots on 'Rogue One'. They drop kicked L+M out the door and made 'Solo' Ronnie's film. L+M will have absolutely nothing to do with 'Solo'.

There's nothing to suggest that Edwards "went off the map". It appears that Disney weren't comfortable with everyone dying on the beach at the end and wanted something more action oriented. It was probably just too depressing for them and a bit too D-Day(ish) in the original shoot. But, still probably within what Edwards agreed to deliver. Also, according to Edwards himself - who's been quite frank about the whole thing - the running time for the finale was just too long and needed to be "compressed". Plus with release dates not on their side, Edwards was given space to oversee effects, a lot of which hadn't been completed, and Gilroy (somebody who Edwards had worked with before and is a buffy of his) handled the reshoots, none of which were terribly dissimilar to what went before anyway. It's still Edward's film, Edwards still enjoys the royalties, Edwards is on the promotional material, etc.

L+M, on the other hand, were making a meta farce and got the boot.

That's not true, by any account.

That's not what I said.

Oh, so Harrison Ford is starring in 'Solo'? That might look wierd.

It’s on record that Edwards went off the Map. He shot too much footage to even use, mountains of it. And somehow a story couldn’t be compiled from it in editing.
    Edwards wasn’t drop kicked cos he simply played along and accepted that they were taking it off him. He did the barest amount of press for the film upon release and his last interview is telling. He says this is the last time in talkin about this film and was barely covering the fact that he’d been kicked off it effectively.
    The ‘everyone dying’ story simply isn’t true. They put that to kennedy saying we want them all roc die and ten ensconced an she said ‘do it’. And they were in disbelief that they could were being allowed. I can’t find you a clip of him talking about this almost gleeful that they were allowed to there with it.

Cmon it’s a film about young Han Solo. At three different different stages in his life apparently.(the Irish kid is playing him as a youngster in the original plan) How does Harrison’s ford fit into that? He wouldn’t anyways he’s done with Star Wars. We’ve seen what, 6 different Batman’s in film? Batman is a far more important figure in pop culture history than Han Solo and more culturally iconic. Does this mean every batman that isn’t Michael Keaton isn’t the real batman?
    Cmon

“I never believed that they would let us kill off all the characters in the film,” Whitta said. “That was our original instinct. The very first meeting with Gareth I remember saying, ‘I kind of feel like they all need to die, but there's no way Lucas ... There's no way Disney'll let us do that. We can't kill everybody. It's a Disney movie.’ And yet, they were fully supportive of it, and it's actually one of the coolest things about the film.”

“It's one of the thing that I hear the most is that last 20 minutes when you've got all these characters are basically going to make the ultimate sacrifice,” Whitta said. “It's the biggest kind of emotional punch that I think the movie has. I'm so glad that they supported that decision.”

Whitta elaborated that there was an enormous pressure from day one—not from Lucasfilm or Disney, but from himself. He said that he and Gareth Evans were determined not to be responsible for being the ones who “screwed up Star Wars.”

He added that their deaths wasn’t in the first draft of the story because they didn’t think Lucasfilm or Disney would allow it, possibly leaving main character Jyn Erso on the table to appear in a future film.

“We always felt that it was the right thing to do, that these characters make the ultimate sacrifice,” Whitta said. “It wasn't that way in my original script, but again, we never felt that we would get away with it. K-2 always died, but Jyn survived in the very first version of the movie that we developed, and then it was Gareth who kept pushing for it, saying, ‘I feel like they need to die. They need to die.’ Eventually he convinced [Disney and Lucasfilm].”

Ultimately, the film benefitted from having a sense of finality in the greater, ongoing Star Wars saga.

“We kind of went back to that original idea of these characters, you know, it was kind of okay that they died, because they completed the mission,” Whitta said. “They die so that the whole Star Wars franchise can live, basically.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

“We kind of went back to that original idea of these characters, you know, it was kind of okay that they died, because they completed the mission,” Whitta said. “They die so that the whole Star Wars franchise can live, basically.”
    And Star Wars gets biblical again.

It’s on record that Edwards went off the Map.

Is it?

As far as I know, the "record" is that the ending was shot as scripted, with the upload link on a beach. The rebel group have to race across that beach to send the plans to the fleet and they all snuff it. But, the sequence, when filmed was deemed too long and had to be - according to Edwards, himself, "compressed". Plus, Disney weren't too big on the "war documentary" feel of the final third. In any case, what was reshot wasn't that much different that what Edwards had done. It plays out pretty much the same and we get a Darth Vader scene.
    He shot too much footage to even use, mountains of it.

Most directors do.
    The ‘everyone dying’ story simply isn’t true. They put that to kennedy saying we want them all roc die and ten ensconced an she said ‘do it’. And they were in disbelief that they could were being allowed. I can’t find you a clip of him talking about this almost gleeful that they were allowed to there with it.

You've missed the point. Kennedy and co were ok with Edwards and the writers wanting the characters to die at the end. But, they weren't happy with the DDay like stuff, where they all buy it on the beach. So the up link tower thing was introduced, with whole sequence of infiltrating the base and looking for the Stardust project. None of that was shot originally. It's the "dying on the beach" Disney were uncomfortable with, not the dying itself.
    Cmon it’s a film about young Han Solo.

I honestly couldn't care less.
    How does Harrison’s ford fit into that? He wouldn’t anyways he’s done with Star Wars.

You've missed the point again.
    We’ve seen what, 6 different Batman’s in film? Batman is a far more important figure in pop culture history than Han Solo and more culturally iconic. Does this mean every batman that isn’t Michael Keaton isn’t the real batman?

That's not a selling point. The fact that there are different actors playing the same character in multiple superhero films is bloody terrible. Inevitably, you end up with a great Joker (Ledger) and a shit one (Leto), a great Batman (Bale) and a shit one (Clooney).

Look, Ford is Han Solo, nobody else. It's that simple. Anyone else as Han Solo is just not going to wash and it's going to be awkward, to say the least.

• Advertisement

Tony do you rate Denis Villeneuve? He’d be into directing a star war standalone as long as it’s away from the skywalker saga.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-denis-villeneuve-movie/amp/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Got my tickets !! can't wait, going on the Friday so won't have to avoid spoilers over the weekend ..

Got my tickets !! can't wait, going on the Friday so won't have to avoid spoilers over the weekend ..

Deadly. Where you seeing it? Avoid twitter for sure from the Thursday onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Got mine too. It says 14/12/2017 00:01 AM. Surely that should be 15th?

py2006 wrote: »

I’d check that carefully. You don’t wanna go on the wrong night :)
    Ours is midnight on the 13th but really the 14th and it says the 13th on the Ticket.

My pal works in a cinema and he said the film downloaded yesterday to all cinemas. It’s locked in a hard drive. They send a digital key (a KPS or something) that unlocks it but it can arrive anywhere from 6pm onwards up to a minute before screen time. Each key is specifically coded to each cinema. Normally the key arrives a little early so Cinema’s can do a screening to check the file is ok sound and picture etc. But it’s not always the case with new Star Wars. TFA key arrived a few hours early but rogue ones arrived minutes before showtime.
    I’d say that’s hairy for the head projectionist in the cinema :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

py2006 wrote: »

Ha, I made this mistake. Its actually released on the Thursday. . The midnight shows are Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

Does anyone know why we get it a day before the US?
    France and Holland get it a day before us! You’d imagine it would be the same day everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Drumpot wrote: »
    Ha, I made this mistake. Its actually released on the Thursday. . The midnight shows are Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

Phew, are you sure? :confused:

Tony do you rate Denis Villeneuve? He’d be into directing a star war standalone as long as it’s away from the skywalker saga.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-denis-villeneuve-movie/amp/

I liked 'Arrival' and have a number of his other stuff on the To Do list.

I'd be all for him doing a non-Skywalker Star Wars film. In fact, I'd be for most directors doing a Star Wars film that doesn't include anyone we already know that has been established by former actors. That's why I am firmly against this 'Solo' nonsense. There's just no way that I can see something like that not sticking out like a blow up willy at a nun's convention. It's just going to be odd, to say the very least.

• Advertisement

I liked 'Arrival' and have a number of his other stuff on the To Do list.

I'd be all for him doing a non-Skywalker Star Wars film. In fact, I'd be for most directors doing a Star Wars film that doesn't include anyone we already know that has been established by former actors. That's why I am firmly against this 'Solo' nonsense. There's just no way that I can see something like that not sticking out like a blow up willy at a nun's convention. It's just going to be odd, to say the very least.

Think arrival was my favourite film last year. In just about every level it wins big.
    Don’t know how other stuff at all.
    It looks like for the foreseeable you’re gonna see these films do totally new things with new characters. And presumably new directors.

Johnson is writing and directing the first one for sure and producing the other two. Wonder how involved he’ll be in picking the directors to come after him? He’s got the keys to the kingdom now I spose he can do what he wants.

Advertisement