Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

david75 wrote: »
    Tony do you rate Denis Villeneuve? He’d be into directing a star war standalone as long as it’s away from the skywalker saga.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-denis-villeneuve-movie/amp/

There's no chance Villeneuve would direct a Star Wars film; his style & approach just wouldn't gel, and I couldn't see him getting the latitude from Disney to make the film he wanted. I don't know how he convinced Warner Bros. to let him make a $200 million, 2.5 hour, low-key noir movie but I couldn't see Disney being so open to Villeneuve doing the same in the 'Wars universe.

Besides, working on Star Wars would likely mean Villeneuve having to nuke his Dune adaptation, a franchise that's crying out for a proper & creative telling; I'd much rather see a Villeneuve Dune film than a Villeneuve Star Wars at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Hate to be a hater but I tried to watch the force awakens for the second time (watched it all the way through the first time), but only got halfway. The movie feels like one of those theatre rides through a star wars theme park. Sitting in the cart going 'look there's (waxwork) han solo', 'ooh there was a director of photography on this one' etc. but it's all based on horrible writing, a weird tone and ultimately everything in it serves a purpose in a transparent and shallow way. It's like plausible deniability on the part of the filmakers 'well, we did everything... correct.'

TLDR, want to but can't get excited about these films.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Deadly
    snoke.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

py2006 wrote: »
    Phew, are you sure? :confused:

Yeh, if you look at Thursday bookings on some sites, if they still have midnight shows available, some of them have something like:

Thursday: 00:01 , 10.45, 13:30 etc

And I don't believe there are many (if any) midnight shows Thursday night, Friday morning . .

I am thinking of going to a really early morning showing (like 10am) because I find I am knackered leading up to and driving home from the midnight shows! Its a great buzz but even the thought of getting to bed at 3.30am tires me out !! ! Yep, I'm Old man Drumpot!

Drumpot wrote: »
    Yeh, if you look at Thursday bookings on some sites, if they still have midnight shows available, some of them have something like:

Thursday: 00:01 , 10.45, 13:30 etc

And I don't believe there are many (if any) midnight shows Thursday night, Friday morning . .

I am thinking of going to a really early morning showing (like 10am) because I find I am knackered leading up to and driving home from the midnight shows! Its a great buzz but even the thought of getting to bed at 3.30am tires me out !! ! Yep, I'm Old man Drumpot!

Early morning is best time to go cinema. Fewer wreck the heads playing with their phones n ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Exactly, first showing will be all the true fans. So less likely to have noisy teens and twats on phones.

Just looked at Odeon site and first showing of the day from Fri 15t is 9.30am

Exactly, first showing will be all the true fans. So less likely to have noisy teens and twats on phones.

Just looked at Odeon site and first showing of the day from Fri 15t is 9.30am

Think cineworld are doing round the clock viewings.
    I might get out of the midnight showing and leggit down to go again.

“I want it to have all the things tonally that I associate with Star Wars  , which is not just the Wagner of it. It's also the Flash Gordon."

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/features/the-last-jedi-cover-story-on-the-dark-new-star-wars-movie-w512703

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

:D
    Think cineworld are doing round the clock viewings.
    I might get out of the midnight showing and leggit down to go again.

If you have the unlimited card this movie could pay for a years membership!

What is the imax screen like? I was going to goto ODEON isense but is it worth the extra trek for the imax? Not sure I’ve been to the IMAX but I think the 3D imax show is on 10.20 Thursday morning! Was also thinking of savoy screen 1 for sentimental reasons but haven’t been there in decades so haven’t a clue what it’s lkkd, screen quality or set seats?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

What is the imax screen like? I was going to goto ODEON isense but is it worth the extra trek for the imax? Not sure I’ve been to the IMAX but I think the 3D imax show is on 10.20 Thursday morning! Was also thinking of savoy screen 1 for sentimental reasons but haven’t been there in decades so haven’t a clue what it’s lkkd, screen quality or set seats?!

I'd avoid savoy screen 1 TBH and go with cineworld or omniplex rathmines for good screen/sound setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I'd avoid savoy screen 1 TBH and go with cineworld or omniplex rathmines for good screen/sound setup.

I found it savoy screen 1 amazing for TFA

I was fully planning to do this but there’s all kinds of catches so I didn’t do it.

I found it savoy screen 1 amazing for TFA

Yeah savoy 1 is still the biggest in town and has the sentimental factor. It’ll be the last Star Wars we’ll see on that screen. It’s getting divided into two smaller screens in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Deadly. Where you seeing it? Avoid twitter for sure from the Thursday onwards.

I'll be on a business trip in Barcelona ! - and will see it there in a famous cinema.

http://www.phenomena-experience.com/sala.html

Great thing is too, cos it will be in English all the annoying teens won't be there, they will be at the dubbed version - WINNER !!

Deadly :)

Just got a text off a good pal. He’s got me two tickets to the premier :)
    over the moon :)

Still gonna go the midnight showing few hours later :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,340 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'll be on a business trip in Barcelona ! - and will see it there in a famous cinema.

http://www.phenomena-experience.com/sala.html

Great thing is too, cos it will be in English all the annoying teens won't be there, they will be at the dubbed version - WINNER !!

It might be full of Spanish teenagers though. They travel in buses and are way worse than ours.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It might be full of Spanish teenagers though. They travel in buses and are way worse than ours.

Has that dropped off here? You don’t see them in anything like the numbers or frequency that you used to.

So the London premiere is the 12th and Dublin the 13th. Hoping against hope we get some of the cast over to Dublin. Or just Hamill.

Skellig n all. They have to right?

He looks like he’s gonna bring serious acting chops to this

c215f849-4b49-41fd-9770-164211c3069f-jpeg.42432

Mickeroo wrote: »

Nope, this is the VO version, so they won't be there.

• Advertisement

He looks like he’s gonna bring serious acting chops to this

c215f849-4b49-41fd-9770-164211c3069f-jpeg.42432

MArk Hamill ?
    I haven't been impressed with him in the trailer !

MArk Hamill ?
    I haven't been impressed with him in the trailer !

Wouldn’t worry about it. Trailers only ever gonna give you a taste. He’s got two and a half hours to move around in :)

Final trailer. There is new stuff in here. Nothing spoilery

Wouldn’t worry about it. Trailers only ever gonna give you a taste. He’s got two and a half hours to move around in :)

Either way I don't mind, good acting is not something important in a Star Wars film

Doesn’t look like Luke is in the Falcon after all :(

image.png
    image.png

I've been watching the films in the lead up - in chronological order, so far I have watched Ep I, II, III

EpI is awful but II has it's moments and III is a bloody good film (apart from some terrible dialog and scenes).

Will watch Rogue one later - or maybe I should binge the clone wars series :D

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

I've been watching the films in the lead up - in chronological order, so far I have watched Ep I, II, III

EpI is awful but II has it's moments and III is a bloody good film (apart from some terrible dialog and scenes).

I'm doing the the same myself, only finished I and II. It still amazes me how bad some of the dialogue was.

And the delivery of every line in I is basically the same monotone non-acting. Incredible.

It'll be nice to move onto the decent ones now.

Fair play. AOTC is unforgivable bad for me. I can take TPM for what it is.
    ROTS is really great.

Do the Clone Wars:) really want to see it in the other structure where you can follow the storylines separately. They screwed up the broadcast order. There’s a list somewhere you can just watch the Jedi episodes.

Never knew about this. Could be good all three prequels edited down to one movie.

https://news.avclub.com/topher-grace-edited-all-the-star-wars-prequels-into-a-s-1798230237

• Advertisement

Never knew about this. Could be good all three prequels edited down to one movie.

https://news.avclub.com/topher-grace-edited-all-the-star-wars-prequels-into-a-s-1798230237

Thanks for that, I had heard about this and wanted to get it - presuming Jar Jar Binks is completely removed - what the f*ck were they thinking creating that abomination of a character !!!??

Advertisement