Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Portmagee has renamed itself as Porgmagee as the launch of the new movie approaches. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

pauldla wrote: »
    I read that at the time too, and really enjoyed it. But like an idiot, about half way through I peeked at the last page, and saw the last lines "The Empire was dead. Long live the Rebellion". :(

I remember that line!

I also recall that I had the junior version which made absolutely zero mention of Luke and Leia being related which was very odd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Fvcking hell.
    Couple of different forums claiming the plot has leaked. I won’t be reading or posting it here. Be careful of twitter or anything out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,447 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Stay off everything lad, for the next week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

doubledown wrote: »
    I remember that line!

I also recall that I had the junior version which made absolutely zero mention of Luke and Leia being related which was very odd better.

Fixed your post:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

I'm heading over to the BFI Imax in London* to see it with the lads next Friday morning and I'vet been avoiding fan theories etc (including this forum!).

*It's apparently 35mm and it's definitely 3d too unfortunately, but it'll be my first time in a proper IMAX so I'm really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Shred wrote: »
    I'm heading over to the BFI Imax in London* to see it with the lads next Friday morning and I'vet been avoiding fan theories etc (including this forum!).

*It's apparently 35mm and it's definitely 3d too unfortunately, but I'll be my first time in a proper IMAX so I'm really looking forward to it.

Excellent venue. My favourite. Enjoy!

And there it is...oh dear. (From ‘the art of the force awakens’ book)

Narrator-soon people also realised it wasn’t just the opening sequence being mimicked

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

pauldla wrote: »
    I read that at the time too, and really enjoyed it. But like an idiot, about half way through I peeked at the last page, and saw the last lines "The Empire was dead. Long live the Rebellion". :(

I remember that line!

I also recall that I had the junior version which made absolutely zero mention of Luke and Leia being related which was very odd.
    Have a bunch of kids learning to read books based on Star Wars that was bought for my benefit of reading to the kid. Unfortunately they all make reference to spoilers for the original trilogy so think I may have to censor them all until the kid is old enough to watch the films.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I remember that line!

As spoilers go, it was pretty much absolute. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭tigger123

Anyone know when we can expect the preview reviews? If it's out next week, we should probably start seeing reviews this wkd?

Edit; just checked online, it's December 12th

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

tigger123 wrote: »
    Anyone know when we can expect the preview reviews? If it's out next week, we should probably start seeing reviews this wkd?

Edit; just checked online, it's December 12th

I'd say once the premiere is over you'll start to see the usual 'first responses' on twitter - i.e. mini reviews. Which means for me after December 9th all social media will be off!

Think the embargo lifts on day of release. Not 100% sure though.
    You’ll definitely see first reactions and possibly spoilers everywhere though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I'm just hoping its not an empire strikes back clone, like TFA was with ANH. If so that will be unforgivable.

Rian seems quietly confident so I hope its an original story

I'm just hoping its not an empire strikes back clone, like TFA was with ANH. If so that will be unforgivable.

If that happens, I'll be done.

This trilogy is already on a "must try harder" for me and another copy pasta will be end point.

He has very sarcastically said ‘yeah of course I spent the last three years of my life remaking empire strikes back’.

It’ll be nothing like empire. Some people are gonna try say it is regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭Penn

TFA was very similar to ANH but purposefully so. After the prequels, it brings the story back to being very similar to the original, but the important things aren't how it's similar, but how they're different. They have now set things up to go with sequels completely different to Empire and Jedi.

Penn wrote: »
    TFA was very similar to ANH but purposefully so. After the prequels, it brings the story back to being very similar to the original, but the important things aren't how it's similar, but how they're different. They have now set things up to go with sequels completely different to Empire and Jedi.

Um...I've never really bought into this.

The reality is that TFA was a poorly written mess that relied too much on the original 'Star Wars', because Disney were too afraid to take any real risks with their multi billion dollar investment and turned up the nostalgia knob to 11, resulting in a film that was a retread in too many places and didn't make a lick of sense in others, because it hinged on audience familiarity (Rey and Jedi mind tricks).

Hopefully, Johnson has forged his own trail - well as much as Disney will allow - and we get something worthy of the Star Wars name.

Deadly. New shots new dialogue. Kind of spoiler. Daisy doing 4 reasons to be excited for the last Jedi

david75 wrote: »
    He has very sarcastically said ‘yeah of course I spent the last three years of my life remaking empire strikes back’.

It’ll be nothing like empire. Some people are gonna try say it is regardless.

There'll be naysayers, no doubt. There are for everything. But, likewise, there'll be people singing its praises just cos it's a Star Wars film.

Anyway, we'll all find out over Christmas what we make of it.

• Advertisement

While I’m up to 11 excitement wise I’m still prepared for it to be a complete mindfvck and totally different than were used to or are comfortable with. I think if that happens you’ll see a lot of the fanbase and the usual naysayers switching places :)

Let’s see though.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Um...I've never really bought into this.

The reality is that TFA was a poorly written mess that relied too much on the original 'Star Wars', because Disney were too afraid to take any real risks with their multi billion dollar investment and turned up the nostalgia knob to 11, resulting in a film that was a retread in too many places and didn't make a lick of sense in others, because it hinged on audience familiarity (Rey and Jedi mind tricks).

Hopefully, Johnson has forged his own trail - well as much as Disney will allow - and we get something worthy of the Star Wars name.

I disagree, and I think stuff like Rogue One shows that they're not adverse to taking risks with the property. I think the nostalgia and similarities to ANH were intentional obviously to bring back what people loved about the original trilogy and undo some of the damage the prequels did. But there are some big differences between TFA and ANH which can throw the story in a much different direction rather than the next two films also retreading the same story as the original trilogy.

We have a huge inner conflict in the villain, whereas Vader in the first film was basically just a monster.

We have a protagonist who is clearly strong with the Force and strong-willed enough to use it without training, whereas Luke only used the lightsaber to deflect some shots from a training robot.

We have the Republic who are in power and the First Order trying to overthrow them, rather than the Empire in power and a rebellion against them.

We also have set up that Luke going forward is obviously very different to how Yoda was.

I think the above at least can provide a different jumping off point than the end of ANH, and helped fuel the nostalgia while setting up the sequels to go in a different direction.

YOull never convince him Penn. Tony is a die hard TFA hater :)

While I’m up to 11 excitement wise I’m still prepared for it to be a complete mindfvck and totally different than were used to or are comfortable with. I think if that happens you’ll see a lot of the fanbase and the usual naysayers switching places :)

Let’s see though.

If people want to bitch, they're going to anyway. If they are genuinely critical and can back up their points, then that's at least worth listening to.

Johnson may make a decent film, but I'll still have problems with characters like Finn (who's just awful) and Rey (but maybe the supergirl nonsense from TFA will get some sort of explanation?). My issues with the First Order will probably remain and just what the hell the New Republic were supposed to be about.

I'd be all for a mindfuck and remain cautiously optimistic. But Disney haven't set me on fire each time. 'The Force Awakens' was riddled with issues, 'Rogue One' was excellent and 'Solo' looks like it'll be a very bad move.

JJ is a terrible director. He's surface level only and nothing else, so he's left Johnson with an uphill climb. But, going on 'Looper', which was a fine film, there's a chance that he can rectify some of Abram's sloppiness and superficiality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

A rewatch of the force awakens is imperative :)

9pm this day week, followed at 12 by TLJ.

Possibly the nerdiest thing I've ever done..

YOull never convince him Penn. Tony is a die hard TFA hater :)

Now, I've said this to you before. I don't hate TFA, but I do think that it's a very poor film, with some awful characters. It's a popcorn flick in a Star Wars logo, that doesn't hold up to much scrutiny and/or repeat viewings.

It's littered with problems which I've gone on about on here at length.

Now, the prequels...those I hate. Have I mentioned that before?

Penn wrote: »
    I disagree, and I think stuff like Rogue One shows that they're not adverse to taking risks with the property.

That's post 'The Force Awakens'. I'm specifically talking about Abrams' film here.

If people want to bitch, they're going to anyway. If they are genuinely critical and can back up their points, then that's at least worth listening to.

Johnson may make a decent film, but I'll still have problems with characters like Finn (who's just awful) and Rey (but maybe the supergirl nonsense from TFA will get some sort of explanation?). My issues with the First Order will probably remain and just what the hell the New Republic were supposed to be about.

I'd be all for a mindfuck and remain cautiously optimistic. But Disney haven't set me on fire each time. 'The Force Awakens' was riddled with issues, 'Rogue One' was excellent and 'Solo' looks like it'll be a very bad move.

JJ is a terrible director. He's surface level only and nothing else, so he's left Johnson with an uphill climb. But, going on 'Looper', which was a fine film, there's a chance that he can rectify some of Abram's sloppiness and superficiality.

The whole point of TFA was the force awakening in Rey. It’s the main thrust of this one and even in the trailer that’s on show. The Mary Sue thing was really lazy criticism. Kinda sexist too. Nobody questioned a 9 year old boy with super powers in the prequels cos they have his story already. We just don’t have the rest of Reys yet. That much was obvious To everyone except those making the Mary Sue complaints.

Peatys wrote: »
    9pm this day week, followed at 12 by TLJ.

Possibly the nerdiest thing I've ever done..

Fair play. I wanted to book that but knew I’d just want TFA to be over and get to the main show :)

• Advertisement

That's post 'The Force Awakens'. I'm specifically talking about Abrams' film here.

But it was prior to the release of TFA that they decided, planned and shot most of the film (issues with directors and reshoots aside). The plan for it was already well in motion before the release of TFA and the criticisms it faced about being similar to ANH.

So they did clearly plan to take risks with the property from before the release of TFA. Hence why I also believe that while TFA was very similar to ANH, it's how it was intentionally different that will make the next two saga films very different to Empire and Jedi.

Advertisement