Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I am a little concerned - hearing snippets, and also the IMDB rating is already down to 8.5 (1k votes)
    usually this early with so few votes its around the 9.5 mark - if its really good I mean like TFA.

I think TFA was greater than 9.0 for a good few weeks before settling down to 8.5
    8.1 now.

I know it's a silly gauge , but makes me wonder :(

How is 8.5 a bad score and how can it have 1k votes if only a few hundred were at the premier and most likely not voted on IMDB?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

murpho999 wrote: »
    How is 8.5 a bad score and how can it have 1k votes if only a few hundred were at the premier and most likely not voted on IMDB?

Yep. It’s all a bit fishy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I'm guessing its like Amazon when people can vote on a DVD release before its released . Fan boys or the opposite to fan boys giving it great or awful scores . .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Time to avoid the web of internetness now. See Ya'll on Thurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I thought that there were around 6000 at the premier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

It's not a bad score, I think what he means is at this stage for TFA it was 9.x , so relatively speaking it could be bad.
    But it is strange that the voting was available since days before the premiere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Begun, the metacritic war has.

I thought that there were around 6000 at the premier?

Really?

I just assumed it was on in an old fashioned cinema.

Was it held in a concert venue?

Either way, it's unlikely that one sixth of the audience have voted on IMDB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

435973.png

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

IMDB ratings? :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Okay, I guess I'll kick this off as I have seen the film as of this morning.

NO SPOILERS I PROMISE

Full disclosure - I am a lifelong Star Wars fan. It came out when I was four and it was the first film I ever saw in the cinema. I adore the original trilogy and tolerate the prequels, despite their numerous (many) flaws. And I really like The Force Awakens with some minor quibbles. Rogue One left me cold.

I made a conscious decision to avoid all trailers, tv spots, articles, featurettes - everything for The Last Jedi so I could go in totally spoiler-free.

And, I enjoyed (almost) every second of it.

First off this is a hell of a ride. A non-stop rollercoaster of action and emotion. And it's damn funny in places, a hell of a lot more than I expected. And it does not go the way you think it will. At all. And that may be a problem for some.

It's a hard balance to strike. Go the tried and trusted route or try something audacious and new? And you'll never win no matter which way you go.

Is it a great film? Yes.

Is it a great Star Wars film? Yes.

But...be wary of all-out raves. No film is perfect and this is no exception. There were a couple of clunky moments and one subplot in particular that did nothing for me.

I think it's going to be a divisive film, possibly more so than its predecessor. Will your enjoyment depend on how spoiled you are? Possibly. But having looked at the trailer now I'm glad I did what I did. And I will be doing the same for Episode 9.

I'm being incredibly wary of spoilers hence the vagueness. But if you have questions - shoot.

It's always a very overwhelming experience seeing a Star Wars film for the first time and I'm still processing it. I am really looking forward to seeing it with a paying audience at the midnight screening on Wednesday night as there are a great many crowd-pleasing moments.

And I totally see why Lucasfilm / Disney / Kathleen Kennedy have given Rian Johnson the keys to the kingdom. He GETS it. And I can't wait to see what he comes up with without being bound by the characters and elements he has to work with here.

So, go and see it on the biggest, loudest screen you can, enjoy it and make up your own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Out of ten, how would you score The Force Awakens and then this film? For the purposes of understanding your scoring, can you give two films that you see as a perfect ten out of ten?

P.S. You lucky ****er. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Is it an original story or ESB clone?!

Is it an original story or ESB clone?!

Very original but with a few similar beats, for sure.

Falthyron wrote: »
    Out of ten, how would you score The Force Awakens and then this film? For the purposes of understanding your scoring, can you give two films that you see as a perfect ten out of ten?

P.S. You lucky ****er. :D

The Force Awakens was a 7.5 for me. Really enjoyed it with a few minor quibbles

It's hard to compare it with The Last Jedi as they are tonally very different but on gut reaction I'd give it an 8 for now

10 out of 10 films? The Empire Strikes Back. The Godfather, Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

stupid question but is it Wednesday night Thursday morning at 12.01 or Thursday night Friday morning.

stupid question but is it Wednesday night Thursday morning at 12.01 or Thursday night Friday morning.

Wednesday night / Thursday morning at 12:01

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

doubledown wrote: »
    Wednesday night / Thursday morning at 12:01

Phoned up a cinema to confirm something and the girl on the line couldn’t work out what I was asking. If I goto a film at 9.15 that’s over at 11.45. Can I keep my seat for TLJ at 12.01 if it’s in the same screen? (Its choose your own seats cinema)

“But the last Jedi is not on until Thursday!” Says The operator.

“Yeh but the movie I will be seeing on wedsneday will be over just 20 minutes before TLJ starts”.

“But that’s the next day, you can come back into the cinema the next day”.

I don’t think she got what I was asking cause she I was chuckling like I was asking if I could remain in my seat for 24 hours!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

Question: Will the Irish tourist board be happy with Ireland's depiction ?

Are you joking? Im going to assume you’re joking. They sent something up into space the other day to tie into it. Theyre loving this.

• Advertisement

Well none of us have seen it yet but Ireland won't be depicted really. People won't recognise it as Ireland and there well no references like Guinness, Aran Jumpers, Leprauchans etc.

No doubt the Skelligs will look great as shown in TFA and the trailers but I wonder if it will deliver the tourism boom that some expect.

TFA and rogue one were both predominantly made in he uk.

Tell me the one location you’ve heard about from either. Shot answer. None.
    Skellig. Ireland. Endless coverage on it on international media ever since.
    Funny enough it took me out of the film first time I saw it. Then you realise most Irish people never even see past the Sunday world and know skellig is even there or what it is. Until something like this comes and they get all mouthy about it.

It’ll work wonders for the area down there and yeah they’re already making a total balls of it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,340 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Well none of us have seen it yet but Ireland won't be depicted really. People won't recognise it as Ireland and there well no references like Guinness, Aran Jumpers, Leprauchans etc.

No doubt the Skelligs will look great as shown in TFA and the trailers but I wonder if it will deliver the tourism boom that some expect.

Middle Earth did no harm for New Zealand. The place will likely become a pilgrimage site for star wars fans if it hasn't already. I'm nearly sure I read that numbers increased a lot since TFA, not that it wasn't a big tourist spot to begin with.

I took me out of the film a bit too when it showed up, I guess I know now how it feels for folks from Iceland or a American desert regions that keep seeing their home on screen as an alien planet.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Middle Earth did no harm for New Zealand. The place will likely become a pilgrimage site for star wars fans if it hasn't already. I'm nearly sure I read that numbers increased a lot since TFA, not that it wasn't a big tourist spot to begin with.

Tourist number have already gone through the roof all the way. It’s been renamed The wild Atlantic rip off already as a result. Local businesses having no long term view and just cash grabbing furiously. It’s way more expensive today than it was this day six months ago. And more again than a year ago. And it was expensive to begin with.

Mickeroo wrote: »

I took me out of the film a bit too when it showed up, I guess I know now how it feels for folks from Iceland or a American desert regions that keep seeing their home on screen as an alien planet.

Lord of The Rings trilogy was shot entirely in New Zealand and was directed by a New Zealand director so it got plenty of publicity.

Star Wars however, is shot in multiple locations so I don't think the kickback will be as big.
    There will be some but I don't think it will be as big as the media are portraying.

Lord of The Rings trilogy was shot entirely in New Zealand and was directed by a New Zealand director so it got plenty of publicity.

Star Wars however, is shot in multiple locations so I don't think the kickback will be as big.
    There will be some but I don't think it will be as big as the media are portraying.

Do a google on Skellig Michael. Come back to us.

CNN. Today

FEEL THE FORCE
    Visit Skellig Michael, the stunning island at end of 'The Force Awakens'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

david75 wrote: »
    Do a google on Skellig Michael. Come back to us.

CNN. Today

FEEL THE FORCE
    Visit Skellig Michael, the stunning island at end of 'The Force Awakens'

Have you visited the 'Lars Homestead' in Tunisia, David? When it comes to remoteness, accessibility, etc., Skellig Michael is about the same in terms of difficulty. The only exception being that Ireland + Americans = heritage, but that has existed long before Star Wars found its Ahch-To.

Undoubtedly, the fact that Star Wars has filmed there will bring a boost to the area for years to come, but it will hardly become the number one most visited filming location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

R777B wrote: »
    It opens earlier here then it does in the US... you can see it from 00.01am Thursday morning

Alas, where I am it won't be opening until Jan 5 (!). I can see myself hoping over to Hong Kong for a viewing.....

• Advertisement

Falthyron wrote: »
    Have you visited the 'Lars Homestead' in Tunisia, David? When it comes to remoteness, accessibility, etc., Skellig Michael is about the same in terms of difficulty. The only exception being that Ireland + Americans = heritage, but that has existed long before Star Wars found its Ahch-To.

Undoubtedly, the fact that Star Wars has filmed there will bring a boost to the area for years to come, but it will hardly become the number one most visited filming location.

I’ve visited skellig as a Star Wars fan. There is zero infrastructure in place to deal with the influx. But the influx is there. And they’re ramping all the prices up to take full advantage of that influx.

This is Kerry going and rubbing it’s hands cos it’s bigger than the quiet man wave of endless tourism. I’m saying the numbers are catastrophic for the area and yet the infrastructure isn’t there to deal with them.
    And those numbers are only going to grow.

Advertisement