Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

bye bye internet until 3 am Thursday. t minus 34 hours 12 mins

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

TomSweeney wrote: »
    I notice on one of the sites, they mention they have landing tours and eco tours, eco tours only circle the islands, you can't seem to book for landing tours - I wonder have they stopped.
    Eventually I think it will be closed to tourists for its own protection.
    When you went was it allready thronged with people ?
    Can you run on up the steps to get some good space and shots without all the other tourists ?

I think it’s cos the Landing tours are booked out almost a year in advance now.
    You couldn’t run up those steps. You’d literally be risking your life :) it’s treacherous at several points going up. Easy to get amazing shots. Groups tend to disperse on the way up and up there to explore. You get two hours to walk around and you don’t have a tour guide or anything though there is a historian lives on the island and the Talk he gives sitting in among the huts is really worth catching. But not compulsory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

david75 wrote: »
    You couldn’t run up those steps. You’d literally be risking your life :) it’s treacherous at several points going up. Easy to get amazing shots. Groups tend to disperse on the way up and up there to explore. You get two hours to walk around and you don’t have a tour guide or anything though there is a historian lives on the island and the Talk he gives sitting in among the huts is really worth catching. But not compulsory.

Was there in August on landing tour - i had to book in march - you need to keep an eye on the websites and then book as soon as they come up.

the few hours on the island is enough. It is lethal in any damp misty conditions - the steps can be like glass in parts in those conditions- all the women on our tour went down the steps on their bums cause there was a few falls.

Great day out though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Seriously ? A year in advance!!
    My God - I was looking at going in August and thought it was plenty of time.
    Jesus add the weather to the mix and it will be almost impossible to get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

You can plan it all out but if the weather doesn't suit them to take you on the boat or to land then you've got no plan b.

• Advertisement

I don’t know how we were allowed even sail. Day I went it was insanely windy and 30ft swells in the way over and somehow we managed to be allowed land but it added to it :) asbove poster said we got totally misty and windy weather and rainy but it made the island all the more beautiful. Seeing it come out of the fog was special. You’d wonder how those monks lived there is such awful conditions. No way to even light a fire like. .

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,340 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

On a calm day you could sea kayak out to it in the off season if you're savvy enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Can't wait to see this movie. To give Rian Johnson 3 new trilogy movies outside the Skywalker Saga, well it must be for a reason. Let's hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Mickeroo wrote: »
    On a calm day you could sea kayak out to it in the off season if you're savvy enough.
    You are giving me ideas ... but the conditions I guess could change mighty quick there ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,340 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You are giving me ideas ... but the conditions I guess could change mighty quick there ?

Yeah, it's not something you should attempt unless you know what you're doing or are with an experienced guide (not a trip to do alone regardless of experience). I'm sure there must be kayaking guide companies in the area though I don't know i any of them do a trip out to the skelligs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

murpho999 wrote: »
    But why ask? Why would you want that spoilt? That's my point.

Because I don't care? What concern is that to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

doubledown wrote: »
    The debate is far from over. In fact I will go so far as to say that this will be the most DIVISIVE Star Wars film to date. Mark my words...

(I loved it)

In your opinion where would you now rank it compared to the rest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

In your opinion where would you now rank it compared to the rest?

I haven't seen it yet but I'm guessing mine will be:

1 Empire 10/10
    2 star wars 9/10
    3 jedi 9/10
    4 Last jedi 8/10
    5 Force awakens 7/10
    6 rogue one 7/10
    7 Phantom Menace 3/10
    8 Revenge of the sith 2/10
    9 attach of the clones 2/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

As I mentioned tickets are released in a few batches , first come first served, massive penalty for no shows. Keep an eye on their websites they will usually indicate when they expect the next batch of places to be released. Casey's expect the bookings to open mid Feb for 2018 keep an eye out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I haven't seen it yet but I'm guessing mine will be:

1 Empire 10/10
    2 star wars 9/10
    3 jedi 9/10
    4 Last jedi 8/10
    5 Force awakens 7/10
    6 rogue one 7/10
    7 Phantom Menace 3/10
    8 Revenge of the sith 2/10
    9 attach of the clones 2/10

ROTS lower than TPM, is not at least on par? I can't bring myself to watch TPM ever again, not tried the other two in some time.

ROTS lower than TPM, is not at least on par? I can't bring myself to watch TPM ever again, not tried the other two in some time.

Sith is the best of the three. Clones is by far the worst though has some small redeeming features. Anakin going to rescue his mom and slaughtering the village was dark AF for Star Wars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Most reviews calling it excellent and the series best since empire strikes back. Only bad review i have read so far is from the irish times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

ricero wrote: »
    Most reviews calling it excellent and the series best since empire strikes back. Only bad review i have read so far is from the irish times.

No surprises there, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Empire Strikes Back is the best of the OT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That Irish Times review is a very bad review.

I'm referring to the quality of the review, badly written and clearly biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Ughhh how am i gunna cope till Friday!

To the people who have seen it, how does the score hold up??

Variety also calling it a disappointment,
    Guardian gave it a 4/5 and Times UK gave it a 5/5.

To be fair the exact same thing was said about TFA "best since empire", some saying that was the best ever as well.

Although TFA has held up relatively well and ranks in most peoples top 4, certainly in contention with The return of the Jedi for the 3rd spot.

So based on the reviews TFA got, this looks like it ranks at least as high as TFA and ROTJ, in that region anyway.

Can we not post scores ? Please? Or use spoiler tags? Please?

Can we not post scores ? Please? Or use spoiler tags? Please?

Apologies (now edited). Didn't however know scores counted as a spoiler, we have one user who's already seen it giving it a score out of 10 a few pages back so thought based on that it was fine to do so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

With all due respect, we're not going to ask posters to spoiler publicly posted review scores because, frankly, they aren't spoilers. If you consider them to be one, that's your call, but it's not something we're going to ask other posters to follow as it really is a BIG stretch as to what could be considered a spoiler.

24 hours isn't that long to avoid the thread if you're that concerned :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Why would we not post scores. What can that reveal? And the guy who posted hadn’t even seen the movie.

Its opens with 96% (95.65%) on RT, making it the best star wars movie EVER!!1!!1! (94% was the previous highest with ESB).

Mind you TFA is on 93% and I'm not sure its on par with ESB. It has 92 reviews, TFA has 378 so its got a while to go yet.

Metacritic somewhat less enthusiastic giving it 85.

• Advertisement

With all due respect, we're not going to ask posters to spoiler publicly posted review scores because, frankly, they aren't spoilers. If you consider them to be one, that's your call, but it's not something we're going to ask other posters to follow as it really is a BIG stretch as to what could be considered a spoiler.

24 hours isn't that long to avoid the thread if you're that concerned :)

Wish you’d been here a few weeks ago when people were arguing that trailers were spoilers. Nobody was making them press play.

Advertisement