Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Now its down to 93% heh heh, well you get the point, its ranked as one of the best SW films.

I think its fair to say that with two back to back 90%+ rating reviews on RT, this is shaping up to be a far better series than the prequels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

david75 wrote: »
    Wish you’d been here a few weeks ago when people were arguing that trailers were spoilers. Nobody was making them press play.

I don't remember anyone asking you stop posting trailers or to hide them behind tags. As I recall, they were more concerned you were spoiling the film for yourself than you spoiling it for anyone else, most of whom probably lost interest after tv spot 3 was released.

Tbh David, I find it bizarre that after watching every single trailer and tv spot and reading most articles about the film that you are now concerned about being spoiled by review scores. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Is it 100% on the big screen?

Would love to go. Ain't been there since I was a kid

I remember seeing the original star wars in the Savoy when it came out. Got me hooked on sci fi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I don't remember anyone asking you stop posting trailers or to hide them behind tags. As I recall, they were more concerned you were spoiling the film for yourself than you spoiling it for anyone else, most of whom probably lost interest after tv spot 3 was released.

Tbh David, I find it bizarre that after watching every single trailer and tv spot and reading most articles about the film that you are now concerned about being spoiled by review scores. :P

Yeah that’s been a topic this week everywhere. We’re rabid for any info for two years. The. That final week comes around and shutters come down and don’t want to know anything.

It’s not hard to understand. This is where plot and important info gets put out by those sometimes innocently but more often intentionally, gets leaked.

There’s even factions that are hell bent on spoiling it like the old EU fanbase. They’ll retweet and spam any account Star Wars related.

Thieves of joy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Lol at people getting so worked up by ratings. Can't believe people put so much weight on what some hack thinks.

• Advertisement

****. ****. ****.

Just saw one word that’s spoiled it. Avoid varietys review. Completely.

He did it on purpose too the sh!tebag. Getting torn for it on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah I read the first few sentences and think I know what you're talking about, pretty poor stuff.

Yeah I read the first few sentences and think I know what you're talking about, pretty poor stuff.

Not liking a film and setting out to ruin it before anyone’s seen it. And he works for variety?? Who always do the big specials on Star Wars??

Can’t imagine he’ll be working for them much longer.

Having read the leaks out there from multiple sources I have to say, well made film or not, the story direction absolutely stinks.

They've made a complete and utter balls of this new trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

I've watched some non spoiler reviews on youtube, yikes!

• Advertisement

Having read the leaks out there from multiple sources I have to say, well made film or not, the story direction absolutely stinks.

Haven’t read any but thoughts like that always make me wonder we always think we have a better idea of what it should be. But given the task and free hand what would we do?

Lose lose already taking place. If Johnson sticks to formula he’ll get roasted Alive. If he does something radically different, which it seems he has, also roasted alive.

Better to try something new than just repeat previous no?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭conorhal

Here's a non spoiler spoof spoiler review from Red Letter Media that pretty much nails a lot of the reviews up on youtube, it particularly skewers the Collider crowd who tend to shill for any movie they can get a preview pass fpr and always tend spin to the positive.

(Again I stress that any spoilers are made up)

Haven’t read any but thoughts like that always make me wonder we always think we have a better idea of what it should be. But given the task and free hand what would we do?

Lose lose already taking place. If Johnson sticks to formula he’ll get roasted Alive. If he does something radically different, which it seems he has, also roasted alive.

It is about missed opportunities, wasted potential and elements that are pointless.

It is not about sticking to a formula or trying new things.

I'll give it a chance of course and probably go see it but what I am reading so far doesn't fill me with confidence to put it mildly

Mark Hamill was right to question the storyline. Pity he was ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You really can't saw that until you see the film.

Why are you tormenting yourself and deliberately looking up spoilers.

The reviews I have seen have been mostly positive.

murpho999 wrote: »

Who said I was tormented?

I'm perfectly fine thanks :D

Just to be clear.

Are people taking opinions from YouTube as worthy of note?

Seriously?

There’s a reason those people are on YouTube lads. Leave them there for your own head space.

It is about missed opportunities, wasted potential and elements that are pointless.

It is not about sticking to a formula or trying new things.

I'll give it a chance of course and probably go see it but what I am reading so far doesn't fill me with confidence to put it mildly

Mark Hamill was right to question the storyline. Pity he was ignored.

You sound like you’ve seen it then. Have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

murpho999 wrote: »

Part of me thinks Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney as revenge for all the hate he received over the prequels.

The prequels had a story which is more than can be said for the stinker that was The Force Awakens.
    Rogue One was really good however.
    If you sit down you can watch the six Lucas movies as one story Rogue One also works really well as part of that story.
    The Force Awakens is a shambles.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,339 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

4 stars from empire: https://www.empireonline.com/movies/star-wars-last-jedi/review/

Not too gushing in its praise and sounds encouraging. Seems like they haven't just rehashed Empire Strikes Back which was my biggest worry really after one of the trailers. Looking forward to it now.

Poster with a whopping 85 posts wades in seemingly with previous grudges on show.

Sometimes obvious is just obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭conorhal

Here's the thing though, there was already approved cannon in an expanded universe that existed in the novels and comics etc. and it was much beloved by the fans.
    The best elements of that could easily have been mined in service if the sequels.
    I would have loved to have seen Grand Admiral Thrawn used as a villain and the man picking the much reduced Empire out of the chaos and attempting to put it back on top, it would have been much better than the anemic First Order. There were plenty of story elements that could have been used, they could have gone with Han and Lea's twin children, but instead we got the Farce Awakens.
    Did we really want to see divorce, murderous patricidal offspring and sulking Jedi?
    I think they made a mess of the story from start to finish and subsequent comments have indicated that there wasn't even a coherent plot for the three films and they are largely making it up as they go along.

conorhal wrote: »
    Here's the thing though, there was already approved cannon in an expanded universe that existed in the novels and comics etc. and it was much beloved by the fans.
    The best elements of that could easily have been mined in service if the sequels.
    I would have loved to have seen Grand Admiral Thrawn used as a villain and the man picking the much reduced Empire out of the chaos and attempting to put it back on top, it would have been much better than the anemic First Order. There were plenty of story elements that could have been used, they could have gone with Han and Lea's twin children, but instead we got the Farce Awakens.
    Did we really want to see divorce, murderous patricidal offspring and sulking Jedi?
    I think they made a mess of the story from start to finish and subsequent comments have indicated that there wasn't even a coherent plot for the three films and they are largely making it up as they go along.

Every story is made up. That’s why they’re called stories.
    But of course you spend $4 billion on a lucrative franchise and just let anyone go mad in the world spending your money with no road map. Of course you do.
    (They did. Look up rogue one. Won’t happen again).

There definitely is a map. There’s a huge amount of new material across the books comics and that battlefront game that shows that. From the tiniest connection in a game to a cross reference in their animated series.
    I don’t like some of it and love some of the rest.

The old EU was an insane nonsensical totally unconnected random mess. They killed chewie with a giant egg or something in one book. In another luke has been cloned as dark side. And his name is luuukkke. Seriously.

You can’t cherry pick from that mess. Drop all of it and start over.

Looks like this entire saga and canon will be closed and dropped after 9 when we get Rians new trilogy.

Start off brand new before it all started story and not have to link things and constantly reference others. Be a totally new thing.
    Clean slate.

Mantra for this trilogy is, we only have a act one. We haven’t seen second or third parts yet. Hang out until we see how it all fits before crying catastrophe

Ps. Thrawn has Been used. And wasted in Rebels. Portrayed brilliantly but not the arena they should have used him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Didn’t want to goto the midnight showings cause I am usually knackerd afterwards.... But...

I accidentally booked a screening of TFA tomorrow night in a cinema 2 months ago, thinking it was a sneaky early showing of TLJ. When I realised my mistake I just though f**k it and didn’t even bother asking for refund.

Other day a friend calls up and says “did you get a refund on those tickets for TFA?”. When I said I didn’t he said sure we might aswell goto it and goto TLJ the next day.

I phoned up the cinema tonight and they said if we goto TLJ afterwards that we can keep the seats we use for TFA and we don’t need to leave the theatre in between. It might not be much to some, but that’s awesome enough for me to go F**k it and write off Thursday morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Part of me thinks Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney as revenge for all the hate he received over the prequels.

The prequels had a story which is more than can be said for the stinker that was The Force Awakens.
    If you sit down you can watch the six Lucas movies as one story Rogue One also works really well as part of that story.

No he sold it for 4 billion other reasons than revenge.

I disagree entirely with what you say.

TFA was far from a shambles and I really enjoyed it. Feel it was the nod to Episode IV that was needed to kick start the new trilogy, introduced good new characters and did a good job in killing Han Solo and also keeping Luke Skywalker till the last scene and setting up The Last Jedi.

Also, loved Rogue One. A great complete story that slots in well.

As for the prequels, they were poor. Maybe the last one was decent due to the Anakin/Darth Vader transformation but the rest was a CGI disaster and I think the new trilogy will stick more to the original premise of Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Doesn't mean the story was any good though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

I am looking forward to Rian Johnsons new Star Wars trilogy something new and fresh.

Three texts so far asking me what time I’ll be at the cinema. They’re in Oscars Smithfield having a pint.

Three.

Wrong night lads. Wrong night.

Poster with a whopping 85 posts wades in seemingly with previous grudges on show.

Sometimes obvious is just obvious.

Yes because my post count obviously affects my ability to have an opinion.

Christ get over yourself and take that pole out of your ass.

You won't find a bigger Star Wars fan than me. But seen as the slightest bit of criticism gets your panties in a bunch then feel free to ignore my posts.

The story was fine. Or would be in more adept hands.

It’s creator lost the fun of himself and nobody nearby told him to rein it in.

• Advertisement

Yes because my post count obviously affects my ability to have an opinion.

Christ get over yourself and take that pole out of your ass.

You won't find a bigger Star Wars fan than me. But seen as the slightest bit of criticism gets your panties in a bunch then feel free to ignore my posts.

‘You won’t find a bigger Star Wars fan than me.’ Believe me.

It’s almost like we have Trump himself in the house

MAGFFAGA

Advertisement