Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Guys, I find your lack of friendliness disturbing...

databank_forcechoke_01_169_93e4b0cf.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1560%2C878&width=768

Seriously though, don't make me use my... mod powers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

As you wish.

Tickets for the premier tomorrow secured. Almost there...stay on target

https://instagram.com/p/BcmRaqCH2Ys/

murpho999 wrote: »
    No he sold it for 4 billion other reasons than revenge.

I disagree entirely with what you say.

TFA was far from a shambles and I really enjoyed it. Feel it was the nod to Episode IV that was needed to kick start the new trilogy, introduced good new characters and did a good job in killing Han Solo and also keeping Luke Skywalker till the last scene and setting up The Last Jedi.

Also, loved Rogue One. A great complete story that slots in well.

As for the prequels, they were poor. Maybe the last one was decent due to the Anakin/Darth Vader transformation but the rest was a CGI disaster and I think the new trilogy will stick more to the original premise of Star Wars.

Think he asked me to post this. It’s fascinating and fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

A question :)
    What's the chances of seeing it this week without having tickets booked?

I guess what I'm asking is there any general seating showings at all.

I guess to answer my own post yes there are a lot of screens that you can see it on Friday and other days that are not 'booking only' seats.

George Lucas has said the Last Jedi ‘is beautifully made’ and was very complimentary to Rian Johnson about it.

That’s cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

murpho999 wrote: »
    That Irish Times review is a very bad review.

I'm referring to the quality of the review, badly written and clearly biased.

I saw that review, from the tone of it I got the impression that the writer doesn't like Star Wars and would have written a similar review for any of the movies,a generic,by the numbers review which could have been about any sci fi film if you changed the Star Wars references in the piece.
    At least it was spoiler free as I read it with the fear of something being given away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,447 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Enough of this. Sad Prof...release him...This bickering is pointless!

tarkin-cover.jpg

Yaaaaaay....backseat modding!!!!

:P

Seriously though, who gives a toss about reviews. We're all going to see this thing anyway. And if it's rubbish, we'll make sure everyone knows it on here...for the next year or so. :D

david75 wrote: »
    George Lucas has said the Last Jedi ‘is beautifully made’ and was very complimentary to Rian Johnson about it.

That’s cool.

Can you imagine it being any other way though? Just say Lucas said it was a load of old pony.

The shitstorm that would come his way would be epic.

And the corpse of the prequels would be dug up again and rubbed all over his tired old face.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Can you imagine it being any other way though? Just say Lucas said it was a load of old pony.

The shitstorm that would come his way would be epic.

And the corpse of the prequels would be dug up again and rubbed all over his tired old face.

I was half thinking it was telling he didn’t say it was a great or even good film.
    But that’s not how he rolls. He’s only ever looking at how it’s all crafted and what went into it. So his TLJ comment fits that and his prequels.

Enough of this. Sad Prof...release him...This bickering is pointless!

tarkin-cover.jpg

Yaaaaaay....backseat modding!!!!

:P

Seriously though, who gives a toss about reviews. We're all going to see this thing anyway. And if it's rubbish, we'll make sure everyone knows it on here...for the next year or so. :D

Tony you sound excited :) I hope you love it. Looking forward to your thoughts.

• Advertisement

You may not like them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I saw that review, from the tone of it I got the impression that the writer doesn't like Star Wars and would have written a similar review for any of the movies,a generic,by the numbers review which could have been about any sci fi film if you changed the Star Wars references in the piece.
    At least it was spoiler free as I read it with the fear of something being given away.

It was Donald Clarke he's a miserable old git who gave Deadpool 1 star if I recall correctly.
    He hates any blockbuster and thinks it's cool and trendy to go against the grain and slam these.
    He holds back his 5 star reviews for some subtitled Syrian arthouse flick on limited release in the IFI or Lighthouse.
    He's way too predictable at this stage so I don't even glance at the ticket supplement anymore.

You may not like them...

I’m sure you’re not going in wanting to hate it. Despite all evidence to the contrary haha!
    I already know I’m gonna have problems with it.

You need to stay off the web lad for a few hours. You'll only end up ruining it more for yourself.

There's bound to be more leaks and whatnot coming out, especially over on Twitterland.

You need to stay off the web lad for a few hours. You'll only end up ruining it more for yourself.

There's bound to be more leaks and whatnot coming out, especially over on Twitterland.

Yeah I’m sorted for blocks and mutes. Nothing’s getting through after that massive one yesterday. Seeing it at 7 so phones off then on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Hope no one was watching John Boyega's interview on This Morning. She apparently let something slip which made John squirm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

who gave Deadpool 1 star if I recall correctly.

Really outrageous decision. That's clearly one star too many! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/1739400/mark-hamill-wishes-george-lucas-had-been-more-involved-with-the-new-star-wars-movies

Anyone else thinks it's been poor form on Hamills part to essentially be bad mouthing the direction the film and his character takes at every opportunity. I mean I get that he has his own head canon as to what Luke had been up to in the intervening 35 years but either voice your concerns and refuse to sign on in the first place or keep schtum until your involvement with the film comes to an end.

Regardless of whether I'll agree with his opinion when I actually see the film I think it's kinda disrespectful to Rian and his co stars that throughout post production and the marketing of the film he's been saying I don't like where they're taking my character and Lucas's would have done it better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Hey everyone.

I have a spare ticket for the double bill of The Force Awakens / The Last Jedi at the Dublin Cineworld IMAX tonight. Films start at 9pm and midnight respectively. It's a late one so make sure you can come if you decide to take the ticket. I am aiming to be there from 8pm. €20. Seat J22.

PM me

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/1739400/mark-hamill-wishes-george-lucas-had-been-more-involved-with-the-new-star-wars-movies

Anyone else thinks it's been poor form on Hamills part to essentially be bad mouthing the direction the film and his character takes at every opportunity. I mean I get that he has his own head canon as to what Luke had been up to in the intervening 35 years but either voice your concerns and refuse to sign on in the first place or keep schtum until your involvement with the film comes to an end.

Regardless of whether I'll agree with his opinion when I actually see the film I think it's kinda disrespectful to Rian and his co stars that throughout post production and the marketing of the film he's been saying I don't like where they're taking my character and Lucas's would have done it better.

He said it once. Months ago. And has had to clarify it in almost at every interview ever since saying he’s delighted with where they’d taken luke. The original quote was Taken wildly out of context and the sentence that followed it omitted completely where he says it was the right decision.

He hasn’t disrespected Rian at all. The george quote is odd though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Nine hours to go! :D

Mickeroo wrote: »
    4 stars from empire: https://www.empireonline.com/movies/star-wars-last-jedi/review/

Not too gushing in its praise and sounds encouraging. Seems like they haven't just rehashed Empire Strikes Back which was my biggest worry really after one of the trailers. Looking forward to it now.

Ah Empire, give us a mug and we'll give you a 5 star review, bring us on set and we'll call your film the greatest that there ever was. I'm pretty sure that Empire gave all three of the prequel trilogy 5 star reviews when they were released and gushed about how great they were.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,339 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ah Empire, give us a mug and we'll give you a 5 star review, bring us on set and we'll call your film the greatest that there ever was. I'm pretty sure that Empire gave all three of the prequel trilogy 5 star reviews when they were released and gushed about how great they were.

Cool story.

TPM: 3 Stars
    AOTC: 3 Stars
    ROTS: 4 Stars

Falthyron wrote: »
    TPM: 3 Stars
    AOTC: 3 Stars
    ROTS: 4 Stars

Those reviews are not the original published reviews, Empire did what they have done numerous times when they give a bad film a glowing review, they went back and edited the original review to something more realistic and less ridiculously desperate to show the studio how happy they are to shill.

Those reviews are not the original published reviews, Empire did what they have done numerous times when they give a bad film a glowing review, they went back and edited the original review to something more realistic and less ridiculously desperate to show the studio how happy they are to shill.

Fair point. Still though, TPM received 4 stars at the time.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/empire-magazines-original-tpm-review.50038563/

I used to collect Empire in the 90's and they were caught out by numerous readers about a "big" film being reviewed as a 5 star in the cinema and then getting a 3 star when the video came out, often by the same reviewer.

Now, this wasn't about picture quality or anything like that, it was about the quality of the film itself.

I remember their "answer" was that a cinematic experience will be reviewed differently, coupled with the heightened "atmosphere" that surrounds a given film, etc.

I never really bought into that as an answer and it was probably one of the reasons I stopped getting the mag.

Still place a lot of faith in Kim Newman's reviews though.

I used to collect Empire in the 90's and they were caught out by numerous readers about a "big" film being reviewed as a 5 star in the cinema and then getting a 3 star when the video came out, often by the same reviewer.

Now, this wasn't about picture quality or anything like that, it was about the quality of the film itself.

I remember their "answer" was that a cinematic experience will be reviewed differently, coupled with the heightened "atmosphere" that surrounds a given film, etc.

I never really bought into that as an answer and it was probably one of the reasons I stopped getting the mag.

Still place a lot of faith in Kim Newman's reviews though.

You’re wllowed change your mind. Some films are just built for the cinema experience. Avatar was a game changing experience in the cinema. Awful at home. Big epics are always better on screens than at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm avoiding the spoilers until I see the film

• Advertisement

david75 wrote:
    You’re wllowed change your mind. Some films are just built for the cinema experience. Avatar was a game changing experience in the cinema. Awful at home. Big epics are always better on screens than at home.

Avatar still plays great at home, it looks stunning and the 3D was even better. Still an average film but a great experience. A 5 star film is something like Lawrence of Arabia, a timeless film that works on a big screen or a small one, none of the Star Wars prequels or new films are anywhere close to being classics

Advertisement