Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

My first movie was return of the Jedi in a cinema the top of o'connell street. I was 3/4  & can vividly remember it. I love the original thee movies ...the prequels were piss\ok but nothing compares to the horse **** I saw tonight. I won't be going to another star wars movie. Rogue one was very good but I genuine hope that Kennedy woman gets shot over this. Like I'm serious. I hope some star wars nut Shots her. Mark Hammill is woeful actor...like fair city bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Interesting to see the stark difference between people who saw it at midnight and those who saw it today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Enjoyed it.

Few questionable moments alright, mentioned above.

Curious to see where they go with the new characters. Would like to see more of that codebreaker fella.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

irishthump wrote: »
    Wow. Looks like some people can't handle being challenged.

THere are slightly more people here that weren’t into it than were. Yet you are the one getting petty about it. You cherry picked one line of a two line sentence in a post I made. And now you’re doing macho man about it? Are you that insecure?

Changed my stance after a third viewing from weird to great. Does that bother you too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Just back from the cinema, the film is a steaming pile of horse**** :pac:

So bad it makes the prequels look like works of art.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

tony stark wrote: »
    Disney obviously has a heap of critics on payroll.

No, this is not what happens. Perfectly reasonable to not like the film, but to suggest some sort of critical bribes is straight-up conspiracy theory territory. There are regularly divergences between critical consensus and fan consensus, and this is not evidence of any grand conspiracy: it is merely two groups who, broadly speaking, tend to engage with films in different ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Interesting to read the negative reviews on here, kinda makes me rethink my view of it.

I guess I was so looking forward to it that I just wanted it to be great. I'm going to watch it again hopefully over the weekend. There were parts that I found kinda strange in the film, especially after reading what people posted, it made me think yeah that's not right at all.

But I still really enjoyed it and don't want to be too picky. Also I'm enjoying some of the reviews here, definitely some good points made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

tony stark wrote: »
    That was phantom menace bad. I think at one stage a little kid even had a cheesy line a la jake Lloyd . Apart from the terrible dialogue it suffered from being disjointed. A movie made by a committee. It didn't join together. Hamill and Driver were wasted. Two great performances pity about the script, story, terrible computer effects and direction. I really tried to make it work, I kept rooting for it. What did Johnson do that was so divisive? Disney obviously has a heap of critics on payroll. I'm super sad now!!!
    Word for word I feel the same way. I can't believe how bad it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭emo72

the "joke" about being on hold between poe and hux? how awful was that? if you were a top director why would you direct a disneyfied SW movie and being forced to put that type of ****e in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Just back from the cinema, the film is a steaming pile of horse**** :pac:

So bad it makes the prequels look like works of art.

When I walked out of the cinema last night I was surrounded by people LOVING it, I said it was up there with the phantom menace and I'll stick by that statement. It's a terrible movie and I LOVED the two previous Disney movies, I think they were probably my favourite movies of the last two years, this is just a bad movie. Time will not be kind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Interesting to see the stark difference between people who saw it at midnight and those who saw it today...

Petty similar to be fair.. it's a very divisive movie.. lots of hate, but there's a lot of love too..

A lot of the hate comes from that they 'ruined' Star Wars by doing a thing..

Johnson we always gonna make a different movie than Abrams.. and yes he didn't stick to pre conceived Star Wars notions,, that's not a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Dude, spoiler tags are a thing seriously

I realise I complained about this earlier.. but that's huge..
    Sorry dude but you're mad being on any social media before seeing it. I went cold turkey for last 3 days.

When I walked out of the cinema last night I was surrounded by people LOVING it, I said it was up there with the phantom menace and I'll stick by that statement. It's a terrible movie and I LOVED the two previous Disney movies, I think they were probably my favourite movies of the last two years, this is just a bad movie. Time will not be kind.

Is it weird I think it will improve on second/third viewing...

It has holes but it is nowhere near prequel bad..

The story is quite good and sets up 9 really well..

PIORUN wrote: »
    Sorry dude but you're mad being on any social media before seeing it. I went cold turkey for last 3 days.

I have seen it, I just think that if all things to post when it's been out 2 days, when spoiler tags, exist is huge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭tony stark

I was being sarcastic, difficult to communicate through print. I really wanted to like this. I thought they'd do something different with. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, I really wished I liked it

Yeah same here, though Rogue One particularly was enjoyable.

This is not just generic, paint-by-numbers comic book style film making with a shiny Star Wars label on it. It is all that but it's also a mess and ****ing boring to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

bennyl10 wrote: »
    I have seen it, I just think that if all things to post when it's been out 2 days, when spoiler tags, exist is huge!
    sorry man. Having a clue what I'm doing. I'll delete it.

It's so bad that i'm actually disgusted i paid the extra €2.50 for the "Star Wars" Large Combo Deal with the bucket & cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

It was just a mess, it was bumpy start with the out of place comedy which seemed like it was ripped straight out of a Paul Feig movie, it was then followed by a pretty cool action packed star fighter sequence up until they jumped away.

I thought great, its all good, just some out of place comedy got me worried, totally redeemed with that action sequence.

Then it just turned into a rushed mess littered with weird moments, why was leia able to bring herself back to life and fly through space suddenly? Why was Luke jacking off and drinking the jizz of a weird anorexic walrus? Why did Rey gain a load of weight after handing Luke the lightsabre? Why was Justin Theroux's cool as **** looking character only in the movie for 5 seconds? Why didnt Laura Dern just tell Poe and his group of mutineers about her grand plan to escape to the rebel planet but had no problem telling every other randomer on the ship? Why did Benicio say he swapped sides after they had been caught when he was the very reason they got caught? Why was it all such a convoluted mess? :pac:

Was Rian stripped of all creative control just to sell toys? I find it hard to believe with his work history that THIS was the best he could do
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

Saruhashi wrote: »
    Same here. I was definitely one of those who just didn't want to accept that the prequels were awful and to some extent I still don't. I'll defend them for expansion of the Star Wars universe and the amount of creativity on display.

When I came out of TFA in 2015 I realized in the first few scenes that it wasn't going to be rubbish and that Kylo Ren and Poe and Finn were great and I was delighted by how funny and fresh and exciting it all felt. I bounded home excited about the possibilities and I defended that movie from people who I thought just didn't "get it". It has 81 on Metacritic, I argued. It has 93% on Rotten Tomatoes. How could people possibly think it was a load of old rubbish?

Now it's my turn to be that voice of disagreement. From the first scene of TLJ things felt "off". At points I felt the film was being deliberately obnoxious. I simply didn't enjoy it and the more I think about that the more I am raising an eyebrow at the enthusiastic review scores on sites I was using as "proof" that TFA was awesome just 2 years ago.

I hated TFA but I loved Rogue One and I really enjoyed TLJ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

emo72 wrote: »
    the "joke" about being on hold between poe and hux? how awful was that? if you were a top director why would you direct a disneyfied SW movie and being forced to put that type of ****e in.

I found that funny.
    I think people have rose tinted glasses as regard to the originals.

Anybody remember the space monster in the astroid in TESB?
    C3PO was a GOD to the Ewoks.
    Chewbacca does a Tarzan call.
    Han Solo in the prison block talking to the guard
    we are all fine here how are you
    C3POs head on backwards.

And what about this.Salacious_C3PO_eye.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭tony stark

I found that funny.
    I think people have rose tinted glasses as regard to the originals.

Anybody remember the space monster in the astroid in TESB?
    C3PO was a GOD to the Ewoks.
    Chewbacca does a Tarzan call.
    Han Solo in the prison block talking to the guard
    C3POs head on backwards.

And what about this.Salacious_C3PO_eye.JPG

The difference is the balance between slapstick and action or drama. This lacked the balance. The dark side of rubbish took over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Hands up who couldn't sleep last night looking forward to seeing it today ?

*raises hand.

Yep ... Can't wait, seeing it 10 tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hands up who couldn't sleep last night looking forward to seeing it today ?

*raises hand.

Yep ... Can't wait, seeing it 10 tonight.

Put your hand down man it's getting consistently panned from all directions.
    I'd lower your expectations and hope the cinema has really nice popcorn that you can look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Seeing it tonight in the Savoy screen 1

Quite excited even with some of the bad reactions on here,

Surely it cannot be as bad as the prequels, i reckon its probably just split the fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Big fan of the originals with ANH being my first movie memory.

Enjoyed TFA but definitely felt it was too similar to ANH.

Had super high expectations for this when Johnson became attached but leading up to the release I found my excitement levels to be rather low given how a Star Wars release comes along quite often these days.

I really enjoyed it though. There were things I didn't like, there were things I was indifferent to but there was a lot I loved.

I can understand why some didn't like it but it's strange to see the discord between the reaction of the fans and the critical consensus. 94% on Rotten Tomatoes and 86 on Metacritic.

johnny_ultimate's initial review echo my thoughts which is often the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Seeing it tomorrow morning in Imax at 1020. Never been so early in a cinema in my life.

Really looking forward to it. Will watch TFA tonight to refresh the memory.

I'm very sceptical of the majority of negative reviews on here as they're far outweighed by the positive reviews elsewhere and I think it's people who don't like things to be done differently. Have seen Rian Johnson's work before and he's a good director but I think many just won't get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I notice a common theme on movie posters here, particularly those who HATE a certain movie. Rating a movie is a completely subjective excercise. TLJ is neither great or terrible from a factual perspective but how we experienced or interpreted it is mostly what determines our feelings on it. Cause ultimately, however much people Just feel disgusted, it’s a feeling that we choose to follow.

There was a time that I would not enjoy or dislike something on first viewing and that was that. But over the years I have given some movies a second chance and in some cases been pleasantly surprised. It’s not to say I was wrong initially or right to reappraise my initial reaction but it’s a far more rewarding excercise then getting pissed off with something and remaining that way. In short, it’s a more rewarding way to enjoy movies then stewing in dissapointment until something or nothing changes.

When I initially viewed TLJ it was a midnight viewing so I was very tired watching it. I was really looking forward to it so I had high expectations. Very often, my initial reaction to movies i am looking forward to is one of “I don’t know how I feel about that” and this was no different. To be honest, I didn’t really want to go and see it again, but had already booked in for the kids.

But going to it again I sort of meditated in an idea “remember this is primarily a movie for children and I was a child growing up with the originals so my fondness for them is skewered. Just try to enjoy and take the good out of it”. And I did. It’s like trying to take the good out of every situation, it doesn’t change what is going on but it changes your reaction and perception.

So , given the fact that this movie is neither good or bad factually, I really enjoyed it immensely on 2nd viewing. The comedic or cringey issues mentioned were not a problem when I had reasonable expectations (it’s not the originals) and understood why the lighter elements were there (it’s primarily a movie for children). This cannot and should not be dark like Nolan’s Batman because it isolates younger audiences and I have young children that love the universe.

Yes, they could of taken different options/directions to tell the story but I feel many of the gripes being made could be made aboit originals (silly humour - dithery Yoda in TESB - over elaborate plan to break out Han from Jaba with 4 people and the leaders of the rebellion putting their lives in danger for one person!). I don’t have issues with these things, I just think if you are going to say “this was stupid” or “that character shouldn’t of done that” you can get into the lord of the rings argument of “why didn’t they just fly there on the big birds?”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Put your hand down man it's getting consistently panned from all directions.
    I'd lower your expectations and hope the cinema has really nice popcorn that you can look forward to.

Reviews are good. Uber nerds who own all the books and therefore think they own the universe are amongst the first to go, so deviations from their worldview makes them mad. That’s what we are seeing here. Most people including people who are old enough to have watched the original in the cinema just want a story set in the universe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I’m not saying I will enjoy it though. TFA was dull to me.

Advertisement