Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

Slydice wrote: »

Thanks for doing this. Actually very interesting to compare the audience reactions to the 3 newest movies.

My personal opinions would broadly agree with the figures here but I think I'd be inclined to place TLJ as a better movie that Ep 1, 2 & 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

david75 wrote: »
    Nobdoy said its perfect..least of all me...it has its flaws like every SW film has but its in no way as bad as its being made out to be. People love nothing more than getting taking part in a sh!t frenzy, its what our culture does now, and things like Rotten tomatoes feeds that and amplifies it.

The whole premise of RT baffles me.. 70% of people hate this film it must be sh!t im not going AND im gonna campaign against it online!!
    are we herded so easily these days? seems like it.

You're generalising. Isn't it possible that it is as bad as people are saying and it has nothing to do with some herd mentality?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Saruhashi wrote: »
    Laughable.

The more I see people desperately trying to defend the movie with disingenuous stuff like this the more I reckon they know deep down the movie is a bit crap.

Nobody is saying "I didn't like this because it took risks". You must know that so what's the point of this "hurr durr, the fans are so dumb" stuff?

It's entirely possible that by playing it safe TFA came across as a bit of a product and a bit less creative than people would like. That's a valid criticism.

It's also possible that TLJ took risks that failed spectacularly causing people to feel like this was a creative movie but not a good one. That's a valid criticism too.

Movie A played it safe and I didn't like it.
    Movie B took risks AND THEY PAID OFF so I liked it.
    Movie C took risks AND THEY DID NOT PAY OFF so I didn't like it.

You are acting like the choices are "they played it safe" and "they took risks" and people either have to pick one or the other.

Defend the movie by attacking the fans. Brilliant.

Star Wars fans are just dumb. Am I right guys?

Look at these clowns. They said the first movie was "too safe" so this movie took risks and now they are saying risks are bad. Haw haw. Haw haw haw. Star Wars fans R DUM U GUYZ.

No. It took risks and those risks didn't pay off. Hence, criticism.

Sorry but this feels like you are trying to logically convince people to like the movie or logically prove that they must be dumb hypocrites if they don't like it.

see the post directly below yours..its not laughable..there it is right there.

i didnt attack anyone by the way..its not my tweet...you dduint enjoy the movie and are attacking me cos i did and wanna talk about it..seriously

see the post directly below yours..its not laughable..there it is right there..

But that's a single person. You can't use the exception to prove the rule.

Liamario wrote: »
    You're generalising. Isn't it possible that it is as bad as people are saying and it has nothing to do with some herd mentality?!

possibly? but is RT a reliable metric? only the most vocal opinionated person even uses that site and posts a rating..the vast majority of cinema goers dont id imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm just back from it, and I have to say that it was excellent. I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭kdevitt

All the things I really disliked have been covered multiple times in previous replies. There were some scenes which looked amazing, but overall the film was a massive disappointment for me and it really dragged. Rian Johnson very purposely seemed to discard a lot of was was set up for him in all the previous movies, mainly TFA of course, which would be fine for his new trilogy, but was not the way to go with this imo.

Its sits above the prequels for me, but well below everything else. (well maybe not below Ewoks Battle for Endor)

possibly? but is RT a reliable metric? only the most vocal opinionated person even uses that site and posts a rating..the vast majority of cinema goers dont id imagine.

MAybe, but it's perhaps not as inaccurate as you or I think. The RT critic score is certainly not a good indicator of the quality of the movie, but it never really was to be fair.

Liamario wrote: »
    MAybe, but it's perhaps not as inaccurate as you or I think. The RT critic score is certainly not a good indicator of the quality of the movie, but it never really was to be fair.

i always found the huge gulf between critics score and audience score revealing..
    Hardcore fan factions like the DC fans have realised they can ruin films just by posting negatuvely. Wouldnt be shocked if certain hardcore SW fans are doing this here too tbh..

im back to wondering what kind of person lets such a consensus gauge and an easily manipulated one, think for them? im amazed RT is even still a thing.

as it relates to star wars though it doesnt really matter that much to me..ratyher make up my own mind on it

thats interesting..so empire is right around same mark as empire.....Hey Tony!?

https://twitter.com/sw_holocron/status/941654488338911233

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

i always found the huge gulf between critics score and audience score revealing..
    Hardcore fan factions like the DC fans have realised they can ruin films just by posting negatuvely. Wouldnt be shocked if certain hardcore SW fans are doing this here too tbh..

im back to wondering what kind of person lets such a consensus gauge and an easily manipulated one, think for them? im amazed RT is even still a thing.

as it relates to star wars though it doesnt really matter that much to me..ratyher make up my own mind on it

There are people who made up their own minds about the film that think it's **** too you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭tigger123

The massive gap on metacritic of 86 for reviewer rating vs 5.5 for user rating makes me quite suspicious of which users are motivated enough to post there tbh.

tigger123 wrote: »
    The massive gap on metacritic of 86 for reviewer rating vs 5.5 for user rating makes me quite suspicious of which users are motivated enough to post there tbh.

You'd have to read the reviews and decide for yourself. Some of them no doubt are going to be negative about the movie no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

You'd also wonder why critics scores are all 93%ish, 9/10 etc and everyone else is slating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

AMKC wrote: »
    Ha that hilarious not the scene but what someone done to it. Worst scene in any movie in a long time. Just utterly terrible.

You sure about that?

Don't forget this epic moment (spoiler)

py2006 wrote: »
    You sure about that?

Don't forget this epic moment (spoiler)

i loved that bit :)

ties in with what johnson and luke by extension is doing..throwing away the whole notion of jedi as these super people who are always right and are above all but especially menial tasks....even luke throwing the saber away at the start gave you that heads up.

i loved that bit :)

ties in with what johnson and luke by extension is doing..throwing away the whole notion of jedi as these super people who are always right and are above all but especially menial tasks....even luke throwing the saber away at the start gave you that heads up.

I couldn't think of a worse way of portraying that tbh. It's just pissing all over all the good they did in TFA.

Just had a flashback. Did Finn call phasma a "chrome dome"? Jesus almighty divine, it's like the turtles calling shredder that.

I couldn't think of a worse way of portraying that tbh. It's just pissing all over all the good they did in TFA.

i didnt agree with the decision to have luke throwingaway the saber like that, it does serve as a massive FU to TFA and us and all our expectations and theorising and ownership in a way, but it does foreshadow where luke is and what johgnson has in store..

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭radonicus

I agree. Whatever about the sentiment of it, which is fine if that's how they want to take the story forward, but you could have added a cartoon sound to the way it was done.

Anyhow, I think we're veering into spoiler stuff with this.

Somebody above commented about being very excited about seeing it. I really hope they enjoy it. There are some good parts (what's the opposite of the jump to hyperspace, when they arrive/ land? That was well done.) but overall, god.

I'm taking my nephew to see it this weekend. Hopefully a second viewing is kinder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Tony EH wrote: »
    Was she a virgin birth too?

Ugh...

Chosen ones, virgin births, midichlorians...oh my.

Well you just invented her virgin birth

And midichlorians was a less mystical way of explaining the force.

The whole thing is quasi religious fantasy. It’s fantasy not science fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭tigger123

You'd also wonder why critics scores are all 93%ish, 9/10 etc and everyone else is slating it.

It's not everyone else though, that's the point, it feels like people that can't wait to post a bad review.

It's not everyone else though, that's the point, it feels like people that can't wait to post a bad review.

It's been the same for the last two movies though. It's like that with every movie that gets a great response from critics.

Well you just invented her virgin birth

And midichlorians was a less mystical way of explaining the force.

The whole thing is quasi religious fantasy. It’s fantasy not science fiction.

Don't.. Tonys ever growing word count on ranting about TFA is higher than the total number of people who've seen TFA and he's no stranger to introducing flawed concepts nonexistant in the films, into the films :rolleyes:

It's been the same for the last two movies though. It's like that with every movie that gets a great response from critics.

not gonna lie i think there's probably something behind it across every single big film and western culture generally and it probably is some sort of interference from russia. There's simply too much of it and repeating to be a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭The barber of chewbacca

I’m a long term SW fan and I really enjoyed TLJ. I may be in the minority but it hit the buttons I wanted pushed.
    Early 90s I started reading the novels but after a while they all felt the same and I stopped. I wanted something different from SW and this film was different.
    Things I disliked:
    1. Space Leia – good idea to show Leia use the Force. Scene would have worked well in text but the visual execution of it was not good.
    2. Yoda’s initial introduction was a bit off visually but once he stopped laughing manically he was fine.
    3. The tit-milking was bizarre but served a purpose and is forgivable in the overall context.
    4. Canto Bight scene was drawn out but was needed for plot. Also shows that Rebellion/Resistance plans don’t always work out.
    5. Kylo explaining to Rey that she is not part of this story.
    Things I really liked:
    1. Overall Luke/Rey and Rey/Kylo arc.
    2. The claustrophobic and snail-paced retreat to Crait.
    3. Poe’s transition from hot-shot/hot-head to leader.
    4. The Luke/Leia reunion.
    5. Snoke dying. He wasn’t that important anyway!
    6. The lightsabre fight.
    7. Luke’s finale.
    I can understand people disliking it but I genuinely do not understand the vitriolic and hyperbolic hatred.
    It had faults as do most movies.
    Anyway that’s my 2-cents but why should anyone give a sh** about what I think I’m just a randomer on an internet message board!

Looking at Rogue One and The Force Awakens, this doesn't add up.

RO has 65 from reviewers and 7.6 from viewers on Metacritic.
    RO has 85% review score on RT and 87% user score.

TFA has 81 from reviewers and 6.9 from users on Metacritic.
    TFA has 93% review score on RT and 88% user score.

So how come the last 2 SW movies released in 2016 and 2015 did not fall victim to these people who can't wait to post a bad review? It seems like these two movies were reasonably well received by the public.

Now compare to TLJ.

TLJ has 86 from reviewers and 5.3 from users on Metacritic.
    TLJ has 93% review score on RT (same as TFA) but has a 57% user score.

So the theory here is that people mostly upvoted RO and TFA alone for the past 2 years but now that TLJ is out they've decided they irrationally hate Star Wars and want to randomly downvote it.

I've seen many people online over the past view days articulating their dislike of the movie pretty well.

Is it not easier to explain the low scores compared to RO and TFA by saying that people maybe just didn't like the movie very much?

not gonna lie i think there's probably something behind it across every single big film and western culture generally and it probably is some sort of interference from russia. There's simply too much of it and repeating to be a coincidence.

I didn't want to be the one to bring the tin foil hats to this thread but I'm not disagreeing with you.

Well somebody better tell the Russians that they missed Rogue One and The Force Awakens because they both have pretty fresh % ratings on RT from both critics and users.

When you consider how many times we heard "divisive" in the few days before the release of TLJ you don't think the divisive nature of the movie could have had an effect?

Nah. Must be Russians. Couldn't be that a movie people described as divisive is actually divisive. Russians. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This thread has taken an odd turn.

Advertisement