Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

He did sense it
    He even narrates it. He feels Kylo readying his lightsaber and getting ready to activate it and strike down his enemy, he just doesn't realise that it's the lightsaber next to him and not the one in Kylo's hand.

The narration was horribly corny, especially the
    "and strike down your enemy" part. The only person who would have possibly worded it like that was a script writer who knows what's coming
    really killed that scene for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Luke
    brushing off his shoulder and his "See ya around kid"
    line are the right kind of humour I'd say

He's literally channelling Han in that moment i think..and Kylo knows it and would have heardthat from Han probably a lot..it's a final kick in the balls that sits perfectly with the line that precedes it
    'i'm going to be around you always, like your father is'..literally and metaphysically we're going to haunt you

such a brilliant moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

david75 wrote: »
    He's literally channelling Han in that moment i think..and Kylo knows it and would have heardthat from Han probably a lot..it's a final kick in the balls that sits perfectly with the line that precedes it
    'i'm going to be around you always, like your father is'..literally and metaphysically we're going to haunt you

such a brilliant moment.
    Yeah it was class. Luke played him like a fiddle and Kylo realised it. Both actors killed it.

this is a really cool read from slashfilm..

"The Force Awakens and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story want to please you. They want to hit familiar beats and remind you why you love Star Wars. They are so much fun. But The Last Jedi doesn’t want to remind you of anything. It doesn’t care about your relationship with Star Wars. The only relationship that matters here is Rian Johnson’s relationship with Star Wars, and for the first time in a long time, here is a Star Wars movie with a proper point of view, one delivered by a storyteller who is unafraid to shatter a universe he loves, to break down the heroes that mean so much to him. A wise and noble Luke is easy. A Luke with regrets? That’s hard. That’s tough to swallow. That’s what elevates The Last Jedi beyond a simple retread – it asks you to take these characters seriously in a way that other Star Wars films have not, to acknowledge them as something beyond a vessel for escapism. Star Wars can only matter in the long run if it’s given the room to grow. And right now, it feels like the sky is the limit. Right now, Star Wars feels…unsafe.

And that feels great."

‘The Last Jedi’ Doesn’t Care What You Think About ‘Star Wars’ – And That’s Why It’s Great
    http://www.slashfilm.com/the-last-jedi-defense/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Going to see it again next Saturday, maybe it's one of those you need to see again to get a better idea.

No maybe about it! You obviously can't beat the initial rush of seeing it and the feeling you get from that. But I've seen it twice and always with Star Wars films it offers up so much the second time round. In fact, for
    Luke's death scene I choked up again only even more so this time as I knew what was coming! It's a beautiful, poetic moment. The slow mo of him collapsing onto the rock, the tears in his eyes as he knows he's about to go. It was the perfect send-off for a much-loved character.

• Advertisement

No maybe about it! You obviously can't beat the initial rush of seeing it and the feeling you get from that. But I've seen it twice and always with Star Wars films it offers up so much the second time round. In fact, for
    Luke's death scene I choked up again only even more so this time as I knew what was coming! It's a beautiful, poetic moment. The slow mo of him collapsing onto the rock, the tears in his eyes as he knows he's about to go. It was the perfect send-off for a much-loved character.

agree completely..It sounds really fanboi and the people who dont like the film get angry if yousay it, but this film reallt really opens up and delivers on subsequent viewings as youve already have the fiirst wave of of it go over you and then you can see the the subtleties and layers that are so carefully interwoven in each characters arc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

this is a really cool read from slashfilm..

"The Force Awakens and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story want to please you. They want to hit familiar beats and remind you why you love Star Wars. They are so much fun. But The Last Jedi doesn’t want to remind you of anything. It doesn’t care about your relationship with Star Wars. The only relationship that matters here is Rian Johnson’s relationship with Star Wars, and for the first time in a long time, here is a Star Wars movie with a proper point of view, one delivered by a storyteller who is unafraid to shatter a universe he loves, to break down the heroes that mean so much to him. A wise and noble Luke is easy. A Luke with regrets? That’s hard. That’s tough to swallow. That’s what elevates The Last Jedi beyond a simple retread – it asks you to take these characters seriously in a way that other Star Wars films have not, to acknowledge them as something beyond a vessel for escapism. Star Wars can only matter in the long run if it’s given the room to grow. And right now, it feels like the sky is the limit. Right now, Star Wars feels…unsafe.

And that feels great."

‘The Last Jedi’ Doesn’t Care What You Think About ‘Star Wars’ – And That’s Why It’s Great
    http://www.slashfilm.com/the-last-jedi-defense/

Unsafe?

They've just taken a trope that's been done in dozens of superhero films and comics in the last 20 years and applied it to a Star Wars character. "I hope the new Batman is a little bit darker".

Not only is it almost completely safe, it's lacking any originality or imagination. His interactions with Kylo Judd Nelson are badly scripted too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,436 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well you just invented her virgin birth

And midichlorians was a less mystical way of explaining the force.

The whole thing is quasi religious fantasy. It’s fantasy not science fiction.

Way to miss the point spectacularly.

Don't.. Tonys ever growing word count on ranting about TFA is higher than the total number of people who've seen TFA and he's no stranger to introducing flawed concepts nonexistant in the films, into the films :rolleyes:

Just because we're not all instantly happy clappy about everything Star Wars, it doesn't make oyr criticism flawed.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Just because we're not all instantly happy clappy about everything Star Wars, it doesn't make oyr criticism flawed.

i think youre either gonna be instantly in love with TLJ or youll have a new bone to gnaw for two years :)
    it's not a happy movie nor was i happy clappy after seeing it..takes some time to really work through and digest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Again I really liked this film, great things about it but some things poorly executed.

I get the impression though a lot of fans force themselves to like it, even if they are disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

i think youre either gonna be instantly in love with TLJ or youll have a new bone to gnaw for two years :)
    it's not a happy movie nor was i happy clappy after seeing it..takes some time to really work through and digest.

So David, you liked it more after 2nd viewing ?

Again I really liked this film, great things about it but some things poorly executed.

I get the impression though a lot of fans force themselves to like it, even if they are disappointed.

probably an elemt of that for sure, not really for me..Rian johnson is now up to a handful of death threats, yes seriously.. some folks are just going too far..they really dont like it.

Wish i could force myself to like stuff. Id love rogue one if that was the case and i really really dont sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

probably an elemt of that for sure, not really for me..Rian johnson is now up to a handful of death threats, yes seriously.. some folks are just going too far..they really dont like it.

Wish i could force myself to like stuff. Id love rogue one if that was the case and i really really dont sadly.

Jesus these are made up stories.:rolleyes:

I just happen to enjoy Star Wars however I did not like TFA but I did not have anything personal against JJ Abrams.

The snowflake generation.

I did enjoy the latest Star Wars movie but the experience was ruined with people on 3 sides glues to their smartphones.:mad:

I hated TFA but I was an adult I thought to myself the next one might be more to my taste and it was.

Some people did not like this movie fine get over it for Christ sake it's only a movie.

There are people in this world with real problems.

Jesus these are made up stories.:rolleyes:

I just happen to enjoy Star Wars however I did not like TFA but I did not have anything personal against JJ Abrams.

I did enjoy the latest Star Wars movie but the experience was ruined will people on 3 sides glues to their smartphones.:mad:

I hated TFA but I was an adult I thought to myself the next one might be more to my taste and it was.

Some people did not like this movie fine get over it for Christ sake it's only a movie.

There are people in this world with real problems.

thats the internet..everyone has a platform and a lot of them have problems and make threats..

have you watched TFA before or after seeing TLJ?>

i havent..be interesting to see how it recontextualises it..

You're missing my point. I'm referring to a particular aspect of the films i.e. the humour. And I'm simply pointing out that a lot of people can't seem to handle it or accept it in TLJ when it's been knocking around in SW films for years, particularly since ROTJ.

And I'm not even attacking ROTJ here. I couldn't ever do that. I have so many magical memories from that time. I was 10 when it came out, Ewoks didn't bother me. And I wasn't going to start pretending they suddenly bothered me when I turned 30 or 40. But the reality is if ROTJ was released today it would be loved and hated in equal measure.

I'm not accusing anyone of being a hypocrite. My first post about this film was that I can totally understand why some people would hate it. And I still do. If you don't like then you have a valid reason and that's fair enough.

The prequels thing is different in my opinion. They were just badly executed. Humour or not, nothing could save those films.

Return of the Jedi was "loved" and "hated" then. The only difference is, is that you didn't have forums such as these to hear about it.

Ewoks have always been a bone of contention with Star Wars fans. They are generally criticised, even by people who are OK with them.

Personally, I thought they were pretty awful, even as a young boy. But, in later years I've rationalised them as being stronger than humans, like chimpanzees. That sort of allows me to buy into their defeating of Empire troops.

There are some terrible moments in the film, no doubt. But, they're limited to moments - like Chewie/Tarzan :rolleyes: . It's unlike the prequels though, in which the "terribleness" is not simply limited to fleeting moments, but are spread across characters, events, scenarios, etc. The sequel trilogy suffers too, albeit in a lesser way.

Star Wars doesn't provide me with any bones to gnaw. They're just films.

If it's shit though, I'll tell you why.

The scene in the tree is wonderful...
    he has to ask 2 or 3 times why are *you* here? and shes deflecting with the resistance sent me, and his own insight and probably natural instincts are upending her purpose..

then he gets the truth out of her..and tells her 'you need a teacher'..echoing exactly kylos saying to her in TFA but rejecting her rather than trying to woo her.

just brilliant.

thats the internet..everyone has a platform and a lot of them have problems and make threats..

have you watched TFA before or after seeing TLJ?>

i havent..be interesting to see how it recontextualises it..

I think it improves TFA.

I hated the whole Ray thing like she has to be a Skywalker and it was leading to a Luke I am your father moment.

Luke throwing the saber over his shoulder and walking away was gold.

Snoke saying the helmet was stupid on kylo echos what I was thinking in TFA he really grew in TLJ.

Leia using the force some people said was stupid but the whole force is stupid it's made up.:D

Sidious was gone in TFA and Snoke was just there why should I care about this guy? TFA just bumped him off this was real pay off like Ray Snoke was just a nobody.

Kylo is snowfake generation Vader and even Snoke said it before the little brat threw yet another tantrum.

I laughed at the jokes in this movie also.

There is no Vader 2.0 and even Luke was not all he was cracked up to be I l loved it.

I am sure this went over the head of the 3 people around me playing with their phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭tony stark

The jokes in this movie are what killed it for me, even in a comedy they'd be brutal. Like jokes in any rubbish sitcom, I kept thinking Joey would appear and shout "Heyyyy" Generic unsubtle rubbish comedy lines and yes there was crap in the originals but no where near this much. Even children wince at cheese. I'm going to have to watch it again. I wanted something different and I don't feel I got it. Look at what he did with Looper. Brilliant. Characters like Finn and Poe. Brutal. The same line or quip almost every time. Driver, Hamill and Ridley were wasted. The Ren/Rey stuff was gold. It's seems to me that their relationship is brother/sister but I could be wrong. The effects were very poor as well. Surely the super Leia scene was unforgivably bad, I tried so hard to like this. Surely you shouldn't have to work so hard to like a movie?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Kylo is snowfake generation Vader and even Snoke said it before the little brat threw yet another tantrum.

There appears to be a rather large chip on your shoulder

tony stark wrote: »
    The jokes in this movie are what killed it for me, even in a comedy they'd be brutal. Like jokes in any rubbish sitcom, I kept thinking Joey would appear and shout "Heyyyy" Generic unsubtle rubbish comedy lines and yes there was crap in the originals but no where near this much. Even children wince at cheese. I'm going to have to watch it again. I wanted something different and I don't feel I got it. Look at what he did with Looper. Brilliant. Characters like Finn and Poe. Brutal. The same line or quip almost every time. Driver, Hamill and Ridley were wasted. The Ren/Rey stuff was gold. It's seems to me that their relationship is brother/sister but I could be wrong. The effects were very poor as well. Surely the super Leia scene was unforgivably bad, I tried so hard to like this. Surely you shouldn't have to work so hard to like a movie?!

You don't have to work you did not like the movie fine.
    You might like the next one that is the situation I was in after TFA.

For me Disney has given me two movies I enjoyed.
    Hang in there Disney has loads more in the works.

You don't have to work you did not like the movie fine.
    You might like the next one that is the situation I was in after TFA.

For me Disney has given me two movies I enjoyed.
    Hang in there Disney has loads more in the works.

Disney dont make these films. Lucasfilm do. Disney distributes and markets them. there their involvement starts and ends.

There appears to be a rather large chip on your shoulder

Not at all it's only entertainment there is noting wrong with the people who did not enjoy this movie.
    Like the joker said why so serious.

Kylo is not as strong as Vader I like that plot point.

Disney dont make these films. Lucasfilm do. Disney distributes and markets them. there their involvement starts and ends.

Disney holds the purse strings.

Disney holds the purse strings.

absolutely. But they dont get involved in any of the creative decisions though in any of their subsidiaries. They keep their hands off the wheeland let the marvels and lucasfilms do their own thing..thats why the films are successful in part..

unlike DC which has its studios hands all over it and they keep screwing up making terrible films out of what is amazing content.
    if they left the creators alone and stopped interfering we'd see hugely successful films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

tony stark wrote: »

Good on you Tony. Jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

absolutely. But they dont get involved in any of the creative decisions though in any of their subsidiaries. They keep their hands off the wheeland let the marvels and lucasfilms do their own thing..thats why the films are successful in part..

unlike DC which has its studios hands all over it and they keep screwing up making terrible films out of what is amazing content.
    if they left the creators alone and stopped interfering we'd see hugely successful films.

JJ Abrams has just had to pitch his story for Episode IX to Bob Iger. That would imply that Iger has massive creative control over every decision that is being made.

http://www.slashfilm.com/episode-ix-story/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Saw it for 2nd time last night. I preferred it now that everything had sunk in. It's not perfect but it's not as bad as my initial reaction.

• Advertisement

JJ Abrams has just had to pitch his story for Episode IX to Bob Iger. That would imply that Iger has massive creative control over every decision that is being made.

http://www.slashfilm.com/episode-ix-story/

like youd pitch to a bank.

Kathleen kennedey left disney to helm LFL.
    She doesnt get bossed around by anyone. Its her that LFL answer to and she has massive creative input of her own as executive producer on these films and look at her CV of films shes produced...theyre all heavy hitter box office and creative successes.

George hired KK in part of the sale to disney in ordr to leave control with her, not disney.

there's no focus group screenings, disney investors only get shown the behind the scenes reels we eventiually see during production.

Disney are mad hands off with this and all their franchises and thats why it works.

Advertisement