Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

And then ran away and left others to clean up the ****storm he created.

He was the biggest name in the galaxy, thought the was perfect and was considered a hero after ROTJ, he gets this school of new Jedi together and starts training them, one of them (also being his nephew) kills half of his kids and burns the school down. It makes sense for him to be ashamed and cowardly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

david75 wrote: »
    That whole throne room scene. Just amazing.
    Snoke sitting exactly same way on the throne that Joffrey does in GOT wasn’t lost on me.

He’s purely arrogant and oblivious to the ven the notion that kylo could turn on him.

Which is opposite to Palpatine who was always waitin on Vader with Luke in tow, coming to unseat him.

I thought palps wanted Luke to replace Vader or he was just angling for front row seats of the best Father/son faceoff in the galaxy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

Just for anyone thinking they killed him too early,

One of the cooler ideas was that Snoke isn’t the main big bad.

He’s just an emissary for a much much bigger evil in the unknown regions that is on its way.

That could be the thing in ep 9. It turns up and kylo then wishing he had Snoke back coz his boss is far worse than him and far more dangerous.

Could be cool to discover that Snoke was just an apprentice. Much like Vader wanted to train Luke and then overthrow the Emperor themselves.

Feels like Kylo hates the Sith and the Jedi though.

JJ will play it safe for sure. I am 100% certain of that.

They started pre-production in Feb 2016, lost Carrie Fisher in Dec 2016, rewrote the script in Aug 2017, got rid of Trevorrow in Sept 2017 and brought in Abrams soon after.

All this points towards a cookie cutter movie that gets the job done.

He was the biggest name in the galaxy, thought the was perfect and was considered a hero after ROTJ, he gets this school of new Jedi together and starts training them, one of them (also being his nephew) kills half of his kids and burns the school down. It makes sense for him to be ashamed and cowardly.

And , like the arrogance of the Jedi order, he did what many do and make the same mistakes as our families/predecessors.

As Yoda says, we learn our greatest lessons in failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,436 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Drumpot wrote: »
    I thought palps wanted Luke to replace Vader or he was just angling for front row seats of the best Father/son faceoff in the galaxy!

Vader was getting old. He's supposed to be well on in 'Star Wars' and "more machine than man".

The Emperor wanted Luke to take his father's place "at my side".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

He was the biggest name in the galaxy, though the was perfect and was considered a hero after ROTJ, he gets this school of new Jedi together and starts training them, one of them (also being his nephew) kills half of his kids and burns the school down. It makes sense for him to be ashamed and cowardly.

No it doesn't,not at all. Regretful, wracked with guilt? Possibly, but such obvious "how can we change Luke" writing.

Cowardly? No, that's just another "here's a familiar character in a way you've never seem him before" lazy trope of modern film making.

Like i said, terrible unoriginal, lazy ****. Awful tripe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Tony EH wrote: »
    That was another really odd character switch.

Luke Skywalker, the man who wouldn't give up on Darth Vader, decided (even for a moment) to kill his nephew, because of something in his eyes?

:confused:

People change, I guess. :/

It’s exactly because he saw what his father did to the galaxy that he considers killing ben. He has the power to stop the loss of billions of lives if he just kills his nephew. And he can’t.

And gets caught thinking about it by Ben.

So he not only had the guilt of all those lives lost he also created it happening by driving Ben to the dark in that moment.

And now he’s a broken man as a result.

THAT is wonderful writing by Rian Johnson.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Vader was getting old. He's supposed to be well on in 'Star Wars' and "more machine than man".

The Emperor wanted Luke to take his father's place "at my side".

Yeh and wasn’t there hints in the comics that Palps was always looking to replace him after his defeat to Obi?

Saruhashi wrote: »
    Could be cool to discover that Snoke was just an apprentice. Much like Vader wanted to train Luke and then overthrow the Emperor themselves.

Feels like Kylo hates the Sith and the Jedi though.

JJ will play it safe for sure. I am 100% certain of that.

They started pre-production in Feb 2016, lost Carrie Fisher in Dec 2016, rewrote the script in Aug 2017, got rid of Trevorrow in Sept 2017 and brought in Abrams soon after.

All this points towards a cookie cutter movie that gets the job done.

It's Abrams. I don't think that particular leopard will change any spots. He's a one trick pony and relies on delivering that one trick.

I've zero interest in IX at present and the same can be said for 'Solo'. So, it's looking like the inevitable 'Kenobi' film will be the next possible enjoyable Star Wars film for me.

They both wanted Luke. Palpatine and Vader both.
    We’re says to him in Empire we can kill the emperor and rule the galaxy as father and son.

Palpatine abused Vader over his repeated failures and wanted to replace him with Luke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

No it doesn't,not at all. Regretful, wracked with guilt? Possibly, but such obvious "how can we change Luke" writing.

Cowardly? No, that's just another "here's a familiar character in a way you've never seem him before" lazy trope of modern film making.

Like i said, terrible unoriginal, lazy ****. Awful tripe.

You can't just say anything you don't like is now a trope.

What do you want? Should they have old man Luke still be the same kid he was 30 years ago? Should he have learned absolutely nothing from his 30 years of off-screen life?

It’s exactly because he saw what his father did to the galaxy that he considers killing ben. He has the power to stop the loss of billions of lives if he just kills his nephew. And he can’t.

And gets caught thinking about it by Ben.

So he not only had the guilt of all those lives lost he also created it happening by driving Ben to the dark in that moment.

And now he’s a broken man as a result.

THAT is wonderful writing by Rian Johnson.

Agreed ; in the same way Master windu strongly influenced Vader by choosing to end Palpatine, Luke influenced Kylo. The difference was Luke didn’t Kill him, Windu was about to end Palps. That’s a balanced character shift with the hesitation/stop from Luke Being the true character.

What do you want? Should they have old man Luke still be the same kid he was 30 years ago? Should he have learned absolutxely nothing from his 30 years of off-screen life?

Than the complaint would be ‘no character progression in 30 years!! He’s the same guy!’

Yeh and wasn’t there hints in the comics that Palps was always looking to replace him after his defeat to Obi?

Never read the comics in any detail. But in 'Vader' the Emperor sets him up against some superhumans. But, that's a pretty modern take on things and I kinda lost interest after a while.

'Vader' had a great premise those. Would have made a good film, if they reigned in the superman aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

Since we are openly getting into spoilers now.

I despised the Leia flying scene.

No just because of the weirdness but because Leia decides to use The Force only to save herself.

Presumably the effort and skill with The Force required to survive being blown out into space and then fly back to your ship would be immense.

It just feels so wrong to me that in a Star Wars story where Leia uses the force she really only uses it to save her own life.

They could have shown Leia use the force in so many ways to help others but they went for this Mary Poppins nonsense.

They both wanted Luke. Palpatine and Vader both.
    We’re says to him in Empire we can kill the emperor and rule the galaxy as father and son.

Palpatine abused Vader over his repeated failures and wanted to replace him with Luke.

Siths always seem to be wanting to screw each other over! Always looking for understudy’s to overthrow either an apprentice or leader!

No just because of the weirdness but because Leia decides to use The Force only to save herself.

Presumably the effort and skill with The Force required to survive being blown out into space and then fly back to your ship would be immense.

It just feels so wrong to me that in a Star Wars story where Leia uses the force she really only uses it to save her own life.

They could have shown Leia use the force in so many ways to help others but they went for this Mary Poppins nonsense.

It happening is fine. It’s implied in the Certain Point of View book that she would have been a better Jedi and she’s more powerful than luke and would have better discipline and focus and control. All this from Yoda.
    His first preference was Leia. He doesn’t want to train luke and argues with obi wan about it.

So she had the force and it’s the force that activates and saves her in that scene.

The depiction of it though. No argument from me. It was just bad.

That was just dreadful.

Possibly one of the worst scenes I seen in a film, not just a Star Wars film.

She should have died. That would have been a good send off for Fisher right there. Or failing that, simply have her critically injured on the bridge and carry on coma could happen after that.

Siths always seem to be wanting to screw each other over! Always looking for understudy’s to overthrow either an apprentice or leader!

That’s the rule of two. The master knows his apprentice will eventually kill him. And that’s how he knows his apprentice is finally worth it.

The sith are effectively like the pro life campaign if they were nazis. Only the very best and strongest will survive :)

What do you want? Should they have old man Luke still be the same kid he was 30 years ago? Should he have learned absolutely nothing from his 30 years of off-screen life?

Not the same kid, but the same character please.

• Advertisement

I didn’t like that scene in first viewing and didn’t mind it on second. You could make an argument that maybe her strength is leading the fleet tirelessly. Luke is a soldier but like Obi Wan and Yoda , he felt that the best use of his abilities was isolation.

Luke, because he was disenfranchised and prob thought that he was potentially more dangerous (creating Kylo) being active for the rebels. Obi and Yoda similarly isolated but for different reasons.

Leia has always been true to her character. But she has always lead and is more valuable inspiring those around her then getting into Sabre fights etc. I don’t think the character is selfish on any level and this was her just using some limited powers she learned or even instinctual powers (like body reacting) when she is on deaths door.

This may not be the correct explanation but I think there are plenty of reasonable reasons that Leia does not use powers that doesn’t point to her being selfish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Luke is a soldier but like Obi Wan and Yoda , he felt that the best use of his abilities was isolation.
    Which itself was a bit daft. 1) he's disgusted with the Jedi, yet where does he go? Jedi Planet Zero. 2) Given it is the Jedi planet it's a bit difficult to believe it was hidden for a "thousand generations", but I can forgive that bit. 3) in the Farce Awakens Luke legs it, but leaves a map to where he is with R2, then in the Lost Jedi he's surprised Rey has been able to find him. Eh you left a map you muppet. In TFA his sabre(not "laser sword") takes on the level of the Holy Grail of things, only for him in his first scene in TLJ to throw it away. Sure it's throwing expectations, but it's lazy and gets a cheap laugh and is internal myth deconstruction for the sake of it at its finest. Then Yoda shows up about ten years(at least) too late. Where was he when the new evil was rising? Where was he to advise Luke when he actually needed it? Ben and Yoda going into isolation had an end purpose, Luke's doesn't. While there are a few narrative twists that didn't gel with me I could understand their inclusion, even the sabre tossing bit, but for me there were too many of them across the film for comfort.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Agreed we could have seen her used the force to redirect the torpedoes fired by the tie bombers, it would have been a far more impressive use of the force and as you say saved others into the pot.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Which itself was a bit daft. 1) he's disgusted with the Jedi, yet where does he go? Jedi Planet Zero. 2) Given it is the Jedi planet it's a bit difficult to believe it was hidden for a "thousand generations", but I can forgive that bit. 3) in the Farce Awakens Luke legs it, but leaves a map to where he is with R2, then in the Lost Jedi he's surprised Rey has been able to find him. Eh you left a map you muppet. In TFA his sabre(not "laser sword") takes on the level of the Holy Grail of things, only for him in his first scene in TLJ to throw it away. Sure it's throwing expectations, but it's lazy and gets a cheap laugh and is internal myth deconstruction for the sake of it at its finest. Then Yoda shows up about ten years(at least) too late. Where was he when the new evil was rising? Where was he to advise Luke when he actually needed it? Ben and Yoda going into isolation had an end purpose, Luke's doesn't. While there are a few narrative twists that didn't gel with me I could understand their inclusion, even the sabre tossing bit, but for me there were too many of them across the film for comfort.

Leaving the map when he was choosing to isolate himself is odd alright. Come to think of it, where exactly do those map pieces come from if not from Luke? But...

Yoda didn’t tell anybody where he was going and Obi Wan only revealed himself when the time was right in ANH. Different circumstances but all jedis leave ways for them to be contacted if needs be or the force makes it happen! Had Luke not left a map, then he truly would be out of character! Absolute denial of his Jedi responsibility’s or heritage (I think you might get what I mean?).

Could Luke of wanted to be isolated but he did leave a bread crumb in case he was needed? He kept asking Rey “why you”? He wasn’t surprised when she revealed she was force sensitive. Didn’t R2D2 only come to life when Rey was at the rebel base? Was this basically Luke leaving a piece of puzzle that would only be revealed at the right time? I don’t see why a Jedi can’t be conflicted (isolation and Fed up with Jedi/religion) and instinctually leave a way to contact them (just in case).?

Doesn’t the force work in mysterious ways? I mean you could say it’s a ludicrous cop out but the entire movie is based on the force constantly rebalancing things useing force strong (good and bad) beings.

Him throwing Light Sabre away?! Hmm. I didn’t mind this. Visually it tells us Luke is not the Luke we remember. Luke is fed up with the Jedi order and yet hasn’t burned down the books. and he chooses the Jedi place to isolate himself
    . Everything says that he’s conflicted but disillusioned. Like a person who is questioning their faith but still blesses themselves or pray to god. I think Luke was always going to get back into the fight.

For all our feelings on Luke, it’s easy to forget that he didn’t sense that Leia was his sister when he was looking to get a piece of the princess pie in ANH! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I posted this on the TFA thread two years ago, funny how it basically came to pass exactly as I'd wished it had appeared at the time.

Unfortunately they remained consistent with the flat, lifeless nature of the character for TLJ, rendering the eventual duel fairly pointless and of no real consequence.
    Captain Phasma was criminally wasted in TFA. It's not just about the screen time, less can be more with the introduction of some characters at the beginning of a trilogy like this, but that precious little time did not develop the character in any compelling way - a very flat, generic, and hollow character.

It would have been cool if they changed it slightly to accommodate the possibility that she fought Finn with the staff, and not the random trooper - maybe have been injured by the lightsaber, but not killed.

They could have done a Robocop job, imagine the light saber getting so close that it cuts through the helmet and you can see the glow of the blade reflected in one very human eye exposed by the damage as Phasma struggles to hold it back with the electro-staff. Something elaborate could have happened to break up the fight, and Phasma makes her retreat, ideally with war wounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Just back from this. TBH I expected a lot more from this director.

The side story to the casino town was just prequel levels of bad. Christ.......

The way they dealt with Luke at the end was awful. Way to build up your hero again only to have it all be a cheap trick. Way to completely diminish the character. And all the housekeepers and that dreadful Yoda scene *cringe*

Once again all the villains are bad Saturday morning cartoon characters. Plus another waste of Phasma. God be with the days of Thrawn.......*sigh*

Only redeeming parts of the film were Benicio Del Toro and that great shot of the lightspeed crash.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For all our feelings on Luke, it’s easy to forget that he didn’t sense that Leia was his sister when he was looking to get a piece of the princess pie in ANH! ;)
    To be fair, Lucas had no idea he'd be helming a trilogy when he wrote and shot Star Wars. :D He came up with that after the massive success and sequels were needed. Luckily Luke was a pretty flawed central hero with way more of a story to tell. If he'd done a Rey and became a force master near instantly and fought Vader in the last reel to a draw(or killed him) they'd have few places to go. Pure dumb luck. Actually the first "spoiler" I ever read was in the Star Wars comic around 1980, in a piece on the new Empire film being shot and the writer said he had heard that Vader was Luke's da, but dismissed this as highly unlikely and a bit daft. :)

Was anybody else disappointed with Yoda? Him showing up in the first place ten years too late and doing what he did was a bit odd, but I mean the look of him. I mentioned this earlier. OK they went back to the puppet, I suppose cos of all the criticism of some of the CGI Yoda stuff and for the member berries, but it looked odd and clumsily puppeteered(should be a word) compared to him in the original trilogy.

I suppose any criticism I would have is less about the Star Wars saga, but more about the all too often colour by numbers and current audience expectation shift that informs Hollywood blockbusters in general. That some critics see this as both a well made and scripted and somehow a "brave" film says much and not a lot of it good as far as current Hollywood cinema tropes are concerned, or the audience that rocks up to them.

I suppose it's also why I have largely given up on big Hollywood flics(I went to this because of well TBH my own memberberries working) and why I would increasingly look at TV series. Because there's generally less money at stake, not a lot of secondary merchandise concerns and it's easier to get into for a much wider demographic of behind the camera folks(far more women for a start) and the FX stuff(where required) has become so affordable so can look "cinematic" and they have time to tell a story or several stories more completely and with far more internal logic.

If this new run of Star Wars had been on the telly/netflix I'd bet the farm it would have been a much stronger set of story arcs and far more character realistic. For a start they would have had time to show Rey's heroine's journey. Beyond the popular and bloody lazy Buffy babe who can do no wrong thing, it would take far better writing than was on display in the Farce Awakens to condense that into one film, while still leaving the opening for growth. Even then it could appear rushed. As I said the original Star Wars did that by mistake and were able to let Luke's arc play out over the next two. Because Disney knew they had a trilogy to work with they could and should have and not just with her.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I posted this on the TFA thread two years ago, funny how it basically came to pass exactly as I'd wished it had appeared at the time.

Unfortunately they remained consistent with the flat, lifeless nature of the character for TLJ, rendering the eventual duel fairly pointless and of no real consequence.
    Yeah they really wasted Phasma. I thought she was going to be a great side character and her entrance in TFA boded well, but nada. Then she just gives up the whole Death Star Mk3 because of a gun to her head and with little struggle. Now in TLJ she's barely a character at all and then is promptly offed in short order(or is she?). I'd be pretty confident in thinking it was because audience reviews for her in TFA were lacklustre(not a shock), but they had to bring her back to bookend things.

Carrie Fisher Wrote Two Touching Star Wars: The Last Jedi Moments

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-last-jedi-carrie-fisher-wrote-scenes/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Advertisement

Rob2D wrote: »
    Just back from this. TBH I expected a lot more from this director.

The side story to the casino town was just prequel levels of bad. Christ.......

The way they dealt with Luke at the end was awful. Way to build up your hero again only to have it all be a cheap trick. Way to completely diminish the character. And all the housekeepers and that dreadful Yoda scene *cringe*

Once again all the villains are bad Saturday morning cartoon characters. Plus another waste of Phasma. God be with the days of Thrawn.......*sigh*

Only redeeming parts of the film were Benicio Del Toro and that great shot of the lightspeed crash.

Didn't Rian have input into writing the script for the next episode?

I wouldn't put it past him to have Rey & Kylo team up and go after the evil gun-runners of Canto Bight, would be epic levels of awfulness.

Advertisement