Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anybody suggest a gym - Clongriffin or Grand Canal Dock/Ballsbridge area

Options
  • 04-01-2016 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

So folks, I moved to Dublin a month and a half ago - time to get back to the gym now.

Problem is, there seems to be none available near where I live, in Clongriffin. I work in D4 near the Mespil hotel and, apart from FlyeFit, all I can find in the area are personal trainers.

So I'm submitting to your superior knowledge - what I am looking for:

- Good strength training equipment (e.g. no infinite queues to use the one available bench);
    - Decent cardio equipment;
    - Not necessarily a fancy place, but possibly not an old moldy basement;
    - Pool NOT necessary (never used it even when I had one available);
    - Sauna / steam room would be nice, but not necessary;

Now the complicated stuff:

- Ideally, it'd be a place I can get to along the work-home commute (I use the DART); If I get home in the evening, it's done - I'll never actually have the willpower to get out again for the gym;

- Don't mind carrying my bag along in the morning;

So, please fire away - and no, "get yourself a treadmill and some weights" is not an acceptable reply :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Is there any reason why you wouldn't join Flyefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Taboola wrote: »
    Is there any reason why you wouldn't join Flyefit?

None, just don't know them and was looking for first hand experiences!

Given the low pricing, one thing I am afraid about is crowding - considering that I'd be more or less forced to the classic peak times ( like 19.00-20.00).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Unique Physique, Kilbarrack Shopping Centre above Tesco.

They have all the toys, and no/few queues.

Go up and have a look.

They do weekly / monthly memberships so you can try it out.

However their opening hours aren't the greatest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There's a new gym in clongriffin beside Block 12 (the proposed supermarket).

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    None, just don't know them and was looking for first hand experiences!

Given the low pricing, one thing I am afraid about is crowding - considering that I'd be more or less forced to the classic peak times ( like 19.00-20.00).

I was a member - gave it up as it was so crowded after work. I ended up trying to go at ten pm, and as you can imagine that didn't last too long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Could you go to the gym before work? If so the FlyrFit on Macken St could be a good option.

If you can only go between 7 and 8 it's going to be crowded no matter where you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

kceire wrote: »
    There's a new gym in clongriffin beside Block 12 (the proposed supermarket).

Really? I walk there every day and I've never noticed it - I'll check tonight. The one place I see open around there seems to just be a supplements store...is it deceiving looking?
    deandean wrote: »
    Unique Physique, Kilbarrack Shopping Centre above Tesco.

They have all the toys, and no/few queues.

Go up and have a look.

They do weekly / monthly memberships so you can try it out.

However their opening hours aren't the greatest.

What opening hours are we talking about? Kilbarrack would be convenient as I'd be a very short drive away if I want to go on a Saturday, to say...
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Energie Fitness or SportsCo (both Ballsbridge) might suit? Walkable from the Mespil hotel and then you could get the dart home from Landsdowne Road.

Both are expensive though.

Any gym is going to be busy after office hours though!
    Could you go to the gym before work? If so the FlyrFit on Macken St could be a good option.

If you can only go between 7 and 8 it's going to be crowded no matter where you go.

I hear what you guys say, fact is I don't mind "normal" crowding - when there are a number of people going around the various areas/equipment in the gym. It works in the end, you might wait a minute or two, but it works.

What drives me completely off my rails is when you get a group of friends or "gym buddies" who completely take over equipment endlessly. Most gyms get affected by this issue at some point - the one I was attending before (in Cork) was plagued by it, to the point people often had to simply cut their session short of a couple of sets due to time constraints.

I'm worth less than a ripped bag of horse poop in the morning :D, it'd be the perfect "excuse" scenario to take shortcuts with the training and get myself coffee and a croissant instead :P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

I used to go to Macken st Flye up until October or so and it wasn't that bad during peak hours, I'd usually arrive around 6pm or so.

Has it gotten worse? It'd be packed like but there are so many machines, benches etc that you'd usually be ok. The squat racks were hogged sometimes that's about all.

Oh and there's a Flye opening near you on the Malahide road where Halfords etc is, near Clare Hall, so that'll be quite local when it opens in May.

Advertisement