Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A quick question about Steam games.

• 04-01-2016 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭

Hi all. quick backstory.

My disc drive has been on and off for a while but is now completely f*&%ed and won't read discs. Needless to say, this cuts into my Morrowind time as i have the GotY edition. It'd probably be cheaper to re-buy my disc based games on Steam than replace the drive but i don't want to lose my progress. If i got Morrowind on Steam would i be able go to the folder to transfer save files into it and just play on or would there be something to stop people arsing around with things like that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Before you delete the game from your system, be sure to make a copy of the save folder.

When you've installed Steam and downloaded the game just copy the folder to the game folder, which would be located in something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Morrowind.

That should work perfectly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I can't imagine it'd be a problem if you're sure you've got the same mods etc.

Would you not just make an ISO of the disk and mount it via a virtual drive with PowerISO or something like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The Steam version might have been modified to function better on newer operating systems, so there is the potential for some version clash. I'd wager it would work fine but you can't be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Are we talking a DVD drive here? They're like €10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Should be fine. Good luck OP. Download the graphic updates and mods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Can you not just redeem the CD key to activate a steam version?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There are some rare exceptions, but you can't redeem non-Steam games on Steam.

Advertisement