Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New NCT Rules & DPF removal

Options
  • 04-01-2016 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hi all.

I was informed by my mechanic before Christmas that removing the DPF (if blocked or causing problems) will have no affect on an NCT as it is not examined during the inspection as it is in the UK. However yesterday I was told that under new NCT rules it will be assessed as part of the inspection. I've done a bit of searching but can't find any clarification. Does anyone have any idea or pointers on where I might go for an answer.

Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I haven't seen or heard anything about new NCT rules to be put out so it's all just guess work.

We won't know until they actually publish a new rule book.

In the UK I know people still run without DPFs. They keep the actual DPF on the car but empty the insides and map it out in the ECU :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

To be perfectly honest, if people who bought cars with DPFs actually did the mileage in order for the DPF to work perfectly then there would be no need to ever have it mapped out of the ECU. It's when you buy a diesel with a DPF and drive it around town that things become problematic.
    I've a DPF in the Passat and since picking it up in December I've done approx 3k km and the DPF I think has regen'd once - only noticed it cause the revs increased and there was a bit of a stink.
    At the very least the car should be brought on a good blast every week to help the DPF get to the proper temp it needs to clear itself.
    Do less than 20k per year? Then stay the hell away from diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Yes RSA and nct are in talks about inspecting dpf function in the near future, the facts are if you remove it internally and map the Ecu your car no longer meets the euro5/euro6 emission standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

bear1 wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, if people who bought cars with DPFs actually did the mileage in order for the DPF to work perfectly then there would be no need to ever have it mapped out of the ECU. It's when you buy a diesel with a DPF and drive it around town that things become problematic.
    I've a DPF in the Passat and since picking it up in December I've done approx 3k km and the DPF I think has regen'd once - only noticed it cause the revs increased and there was a bit of a stink.
    At the very least the car should be brought on a good blast every week to help the DPF get to the proper temp it needs to clear itself.
    Do less than 20k per year? Then stay the hell away from diesels.

I agree.

Worst case scenario you could buy a decent diagnostic kit for around €100 and force a DPF regen once a month :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

Any car I've come across with dpf removed has passed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Since we follow the uk I'd not buy a euro 5 onwards with a delete because if they bring it in it will be dear to replace

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

AFAIK The test is actually to confirm presence of the DPF as opposed to it being working obviously I would be giving my tailpipes a good scrubbing before hand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Truckermal wrote: »
    The test is actually to confirm presence of the DPF as opposed to it being working obviously I would be giving my tailpipes a good scrubbing before hand.

Oooh, matron!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Oooh, matron!

Should have said AFAIK...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    Yes RSA and nct are in talks about inspecting dpf function in the near future, the facts are if you remove it internally and map the Ecu your car no longer meets the euro5/euro6 emission standards.

Derv boys couldn't give a flying **** about emissions, only the extra few bob. Except the more cute hooring they get up to the quicker the tide will turn against diesel in urban areas.

I find it hard to believe that functionality will actually be tested. Visual inspection I expect, so a dummy dpf will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I've 2 cars with gutted DPFs, I do reasonably big milage, but most of it is cruising so I didn't want to risk it. NCT or DOE have no bother with them so far. From underneath it looks like there is a DPF there anyway. Taking it out frees up a few overtaking ponies too which is a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have heard rumours but found no official sources yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

biko wrote: »
    I have heard rumours but found no official sources yet.

It is coming in but no official word yet. I'd imagine it'll only be visual inspection though, if it looks like a dpf that's probably good enough. We don't have technology to fault find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Visual inspection should be enough alright: If the exhaust pipe is covered in soot you have deleted the DPF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I find it hard to believe that functionality will actually be tested. Visual inspection I expect, so a dummy dpf will do.

As other posters have already alluded to, a visual inspection of the tailpipe will confirm whether the DPF is there or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Sooner they bring it in the better, dirty feckin diesels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

As other posters have already alluded to, a visual inspection of the tailpipe will confirm whether the DPF is there or not.
    I know :) I was merely illustrating that no one in officialdom seems to want to enforce diesel emissions regulations in any real way. The poster I quoted was quite correctly pointing out that removing or disabling a DPF was a bit naughty, but the fact is that it is being rewarded rather than discouraged.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement