Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester Accommodation Question

• 04-01-2016 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

More than likely will have to leave Ireland in the next few weeks if nothing shows up. It's going on 6 months now, and I couldn't be dealing with the ordeal of signing on again.

Thinking of starting with Manchester. Obviously, I'm wasting my time looking for houseshares etc from Ireland, but have looked at gumtree just to get an idea of what's available in Manchester.

I'll probably be able to stay with a mate for a few nights, but would like to get a place as soon as possible.

I'm not going to have any job lined up or credit history. Will this be a major issue?

I looked at AirB&B, and it works out expensive so not sure of other options. Maybe a private room in a hostel or a b&b could do me a deal for a few weeks.

A houseshare to start with would be financially the best option. I'm in my late 30s, so student accommodation will be out unfortunately.

By the looks of things, ensuite bedrooms don't seem to be very popular in Manchester houseshares!

What would the average monthly rent be in the Manchester area?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

http://www.home.co.uk/for_rent/manchester/current_rents?location=manchester

Gumtree might be your best bet for a flatshare:
    https://www.gumtree.com/flatshare-offered/manchester

I'm not familiar with Manchester, aside from weekends but you might be better off finding a job first and then sorting accommodation in case you're miles away from it.

Get your National Insurance number sorted before you go, there's plenty of posts here about how to do it.
    Wouldn't worry about the credit history too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Thanks for the links.

I'm due to speak to a company this week, so might well have something lined up before going over. I may just have to make the jump in the next few weeks if nothing happens here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

Withington is in south Manchester between the studenty area of Fallowfield and the popular suburb of Didsbury. For me it was ideal as it was the close enough to the centre along with plenty of amenities within walking distance. Pubs, restaurants, sports clubs, cinema, parks etc.
    You can find some good deals on housesharing, and some shockingly bad ones as well. Took a while to find a nice one, there's some seriously dodgy landlords around Manchester.
    Another option, depending on the finances is just north/northwest of the Northern Quarter. Hundreds of new apartments have been built over the past few years and there's some quality old bars around.
    I'm not sure what you are looking for jobwise or lifestyle wise, but personally I wasn't too impressed with living in Manchester. Moved north to Edinburgh and would choose Edinburgh or Glasgow over Manc anyday. For me the only big bonus of Manchester was the football and the massive choice of weekend destinations from the airport!

Edinburgh is indeed a lovely town, but I don't know anyone there, and I'll probably stay with a mate in Manchester to start with.
    Who knows, I might eventually look at Edinburgh. I had applied for jobs there last year, but was unsuccessful. It's the nicest city I've been in so far in the UK.
    With Manchester, I like how you can get out of the city fairly easily, if you want to go hill walking or the likes.
    It's big enough, to me, that there's enough going on there. I'd like to play some music as well.

Probably looking at getting a place for a month now initially. AirB&B seems so bloody expensive though!
    Maybe a room in a hostel. I guess I'll get in touch with some B&Bs to see if they'd do a deal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement