Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of bike should I buy?

Options
  • 04-01-2016 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

I'm new to Cork city and living in Blackpool. I'm near to the city centre (and have the use of Coke bikes) and will walk to work. So, I will not use the bike for day to day traveling.

Ideally, I'd like a mountain bike but I'm not sure if there is any suitable terrain nearby for that kind of activity (I'd have to cycle to location as I don't have a car.)

If there isn't any mountainous terrain around, then I'd like to cycle around the countryside, so I'm guessing a racer or similar would be suitable.

Can anybody share their knowledge/experience of the surrounds and advise on a bike? I'd l like to get fit, in an enjoyable way/environment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

There is a really good mountain bike track beyond mallow in the ballyhoura mountains but its a bit far to cycle, do the loops and cycle back. There's one in traction beyond carrigaline too but again its a bit far.
    There's a track in rochestown too that is close enough to cycle to but youd get bored of it quick if it was the only track you used.
    If its a comuting bike you want then a mountain bike would be a bad idea tho, their heavy and the big wheels and grippy tyres don't make for comfy road trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A hybrid bike like one of these?

http://www.giant-cork.ie/en-ie/bikes/series/escape/20135/

The cycling forum would have better advice probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

If you want to do recreational cycling get a road bike (racer), hybrids are good for commuting, but if you intend recreational cycling, they're limited.
    What's budget?
    Are you eligible for bike to work scheme? Decide on your budget, and off over to the cycling forum as Tom suggests.

Get some base miles in and join a club. Good way to meet new people in cork.
    DeRonde van cork have a gentle intro group 0-50km group at moment, but plenty of other clubs in and around Cork city:
    LeeRoadies
    Ballincollig
    Blarney
    Cork county
    Cobh
    Carrigaline
    Coach ford
    Midleton

Advertisement