Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor spotted over south Cork

Options
  • 04-01-2016 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there was any sightings of a fireball in the sky this evening around 5.30?
    Was working here in my yard with my vet and we both saw a fireball travelling at high speed heading south. It appeared to just disappear suddenly in the sky as if it burned up. Extremely bright and large not like usual meteor showers seen at night.
    Im around 7mls south of Bandon and can see The Old Head Of Kinsale from my place. It would have passed over an area of sky that would be visible as i looked towards the Old Head.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Just wondering if there was any sightings of a fireball in the sky this evening around 5.30?
    Was working here in my yard with my vet and we both saw a fireball travelling at high speed heading south. It appeared to just disappear suddenly in the sky as if it burned up. Extremely bright and large not like usual meteor showers seen at night.
    Im around 7mls south of Bandon and can see The Old Head Of Kinsale from my place. It would have passed over an area of sky that would be visible as i looked towards the Old Head.

Could have been from the Quadrantids expected tonight around midnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

There was nothing reported on the 4th on the AMS site.

http://www.amsmeteors.org/members/imo_view/browse_events?country=-1&year=2016&num_report=&event=&event_id=&event_year=&num_report=

The only one close to your description was on the 3rd at 18:00.

Advertisement