Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa Benitez sacked

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Rafa next Man Utd manager Fact:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Was doomed to fail from the start. Rafa does not play in the Madrid way dropped a few of there superstars bound to happen. I actually thought he was doing a good job in fairness to him.

Huge risk with zidane with little experience only in the 2nd team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rafa and United. The stars have aligned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Stupid appointment in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Shouldn't have got the job in the first place. This was always coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Telling ya that club are scum on every level to sack a manager 7 months into the season a few points off the top the table.

As bad enough as things might look at Chelsea or United Jesus Madrid are on a whole other level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Comes as a shock to no one really. Players and the fans didn't like him which is a shame really as he came up through the ranks at Madrid and was obviously emotional at getting the job.

Wonder where he will end up next. Think he could do with a break myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I never do understand Madrid. No one seemed happy with him when he was appointed but correct me if I'm wrong here but he hasn't lost any matches in Europe or Cup competitions has he? Yes they are 4 points off the drift but he couldn't have lost more than 4 games since taking charge. Suppose that's the level Madrid expect with the spending etc but I do feel it is a little ruthless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Ridiculous sacking from a ridiculous club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Madrid are a mad old club. They've won 7 of their last 9 with 1 draw and 1 loss. Top scorers in the league by 7 clear goals. Don't think he ever recovered from the bad defeat against Barca though. The knives have been out since then.

Good luck Zidane.

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Ridiculous sacking from a ridiculous club

Ridiculous appointment by a ridiculous club. The early sacking was inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The greatest club in the world...

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He was doing pretty well tbf!! Mad stuff like this IS why they're the biggest club in the world mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The only surprise was that they hired him in the first place. They have a history of sacking managers have done much better jobs than he was doing.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I never do understand Madrid. No one seemed happy with him when he was appointed but correct me if I'm wrong here but he hasn't lost any matches in Europe or Cup competitions has he? Yes they are 4 points off the drift but he couldn't have lost more than 4 games since taking charge. Suppose that's the level Madrid expect with the spending etc but I do feel it is a little ruthless.

Played 25; Won 17; Drew 5; Lost 3

*shrugs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Feel sorry for him, but was always going to end in tears one felt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You felt it was coming eventually but it seems ridiculous to do it now. They never gave him a chance really.

Feel sorry for him, but was always going to end in tears one felt.

Leaves with no difference in his reputation a much richer man. Not a bad seven month gig in many respects!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Back to Valencia in the summer??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Back to Valencia in the summer??

That's a good shout. You could be right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

With pocchetino doing well with Spurs he could be a dark horse for the Madrid job next summer. Could be a nice little bet to make :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Have to wonder why they bothered in the first place, was always ending this way

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I do find it a weird sacking cause one thing Benitez is good at is European competition and I felt Madrid could have won it with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Hes a Madrid man but the fans hated him.

Would Man Utd fans hate a manager who was from Manchester and was in charge of Utd?

No Bloody Way. They would back him to the hilt because hes one of their own.

Real Madrid fans are spoilt rotten brats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Leaves with no difference in his reputation a much richer man. Not a bad seven month gig in many respects!

Ah he is good guy, but while his reputation is in tact, ya have wonder did he really believe he was going last even a season.

Any other club and they be reasonably happy, but Madrid are Madrid. He have no bother getting offers anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Not sure about that. Im not sure a CL club in Eng,Spain or Germany would go for him now. Real was Benitez's dream job he will be devasted. The players are more to blame though than Benitez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Have to wonder why they bothered in the first place, was always ending this way

It almost always ends this way, doesn't it?

In before #blameronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

When you add the 5 draws thats 8 games he didn't win unfair yes , but its Madrid they demand instant success its the reason they are where they are.

And Benitez despite the links to the club should have never been given that job in the 1st place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Dempsey wrote: »
    The only surprise was that they hired him in the first place. They have a history of sacking managers have done much better jobs than he was doing.

They go through that many managers that anyone with a decent record at the top level, particularly someone with a connection to the club, is bound to get a chance.

I rate Benitez, but this was never going to work. Hard to see where he'll go next

In before #blameronaldo
    The main issue with Real is BBC who just don't defend at all. Ok 1 player not defending but 3 causes a huge problem especially since Real have no real DM.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Not sure about that. Im not sure a CL club in Eng,Spain or Germany would go for him now. Real was Benitez's dream job he will be devasted. The players are more to blame though than Benitez.

He hasn't lost any of the competitions they were registered in? Competing for the league; topped their group in the CL and favourites for their second leg tie. It's just standard Madrid nonsense - anyone who rated him 7 months ago will rate him. Detractors like yourself will not have changed any opinions.

Won 70% of the games they played. *shrugs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

When you add the 5 draws thats 8 games he didn't win unfair yes , but its Madrid they demand instant success its the reason they are where they are.

And Benitez despite the links to the club should have never been given that job in the 1st place

Why not though, who was in a better position to get the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Ah he is good guy, but while his reputation is in tact, ya have wonder did he really believe he was going last even a season.

I think irrespective of the pay off and likelihood of it not working out, he couldn't turn down the opportunity to manage the biggest club in the world. He'd have been a fool to turn it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

A lot are pointing to his record this season as a reason why he shouldn't be sacked...however;

- Real Madrid were going to have a good record on paper no matter who was in charge as the gap in quality between them and the vast majority of teams they face is just too big.

- It was pretty clear that the fans and a core group of important players were quite unhappy with him as manager. You can debate the rights and wrongs of this all you want but at the end of the day it was a major problem. It is far from an ideal situation to have at a club when you're about to enter the business end of a season with titles on the line.

As others have said, it was a ridiculous appointment to begin with as it was quite easy to predict that it'd work out like this.

As for the Zidane appointment, I know nothing about his ability as a coach so there isn't much to add there. What he will probably get is the respect of the dressing room and initial backing from fans, which gives him a good base to start from.

• Advertisement

Zidane is unlikely to win either the league or CL so he'll be gone at the end of the year too. Who they'll get at that point is anyone's guess. Not that it matters - since 1974 they've had 37 managers of which only one (Del Bosque) lasted more than 3 seasons (and he didn't survive beyond a fourth full year).

Benitez was amply qualified for the job relative to those 37 managers too.

He hasn't lost any of the competitions they were registered in? Competing for the league; topped their group in the CL and favourites for their second leg tie. It's just standard Madrid nonsense - anyone who rated him 7 months ago will rate him. Detractors like yourself will not have changed any opinions.

Won 70% of the games they played. *shrugs*
    His record as a manger since 2010 will though. Struggled at 3 clubs done well at Chelsea but still wasn't enough for a permanent role. Napoli's upturn this season probably shows his time there was average too. I will always be thankful for the CL but I think his man management is poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Edit: Already posted in the humour thread :)

His record as a manger since 2010 will though. Struggled at 3 clubs done well at Chelsea but still wasn't enough for a permanent role. Napoli's upturn this season probably shows his time there was average too. I will always be thankful for the CL but I think his man management is poor.

In fairness he could have won the league, CL league, Europa, cured cancer and brought mother Theresa back to life and he would still not have got the chelsea job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Didnt they want to give it to Zidane in the summer but he turned it down citing his inexperience?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Call me crazy, but I could swear I've heard that line before somewhere... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Ardent

Couldn't understand why they hired him in the first place - his style of play was always going to rile the fans. Still, expected him to get the bullet at the end of the season, not this early into it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

A bald-headed, legendary player who was once a world-record transfer drafted in for his managerial role for a club with a fanatical support and crazy board.

It's Alan Shearer at Newcastle United all over again :D

Ardent wrote: »
    Couldn't understand why they hired him in the first place - his style of play was always going to rile the fans. Still, expected him to get the bullet at the end of the season, not this early into it!

His style of play had them scoring buckets of goals though, why style did they want. Did you watch the game last night it was all out attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I haven't watched them much this season but did keep an eye out for their results as I have a major soft spot for Rafa. Can't say that I am surprised that this has happened given it is Madrid. But once there was grumblings in the press about players being unhappy with him, it was nailed on.

Accepting I am biased, I honestly don't see the point in the sacking given he was appointed less than 6 months ago and they are competing on all possible fronts. If Barca was walking away with it or they didn't finish top in the CL group stages, I would somewhat get it but this seems somewhat extreme.

I thought about style of play point etc but Real are the top scorers in La Liga with 47 goals so far - 7 more than Barca. They also had 2 record breaking victories in recent weeks too - 8-3 or something in the CL and 10-1 or something in La Liga.

All a bit daft but it certainly works for them as a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Had a bet on him to be sacked by the end of 2015, disgusted here.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Ridiculous club. I hope the rest of their season is an unmitigated disaster. It's all their spoilt brat players and fans deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Since the turn of the century

Vicente del Bosque
    Carlos Queiroz
    José Antonio Camacho
    Mariano García Remón
    Vanderlei Luxemburgo
    Juan Ramón López Caro
    Fabio Capello
    Bernd Schuster
    Juande Ramos
    Manuel Pellegrini
    José Mourinho
    Carlo Ancelotti
    Rafael Benítez
    Zinedine Zidane

His style has not got them scoring bucket loads by the way, they have 47 in the league, 10 of those came in one game (10-2), against a team with 9 men, who had given up and it really is only a team like Madrid who would keep pounding away like that.

Other then that, they have Ronaldo, Benzema, Bale, Rodriguez not to mention the rest and are vastly superior to 95% of the division, I suggest it is quite hard for them not to score, regardless of the manager. They have not been doing anything out of the ordinary in the majority of league games, managed 3 against Las Palmas, 1 against Granada, 3 against Celta Vigo, who also had a man sent off, 2 against Eibar.

They have lost to Sevilla, lost to Villarreal, drawn with Gijon, drawn with 10 man Malaga, drawn with Valencia and most importantly for Madrid fans (other then drawing with A Madrid) they were destroyed at home by Barca, who lets be honest, barring Suarez and Neymar weren't even that good.

It was a ridiculous appointment from Madrids point of view, was never going to work and smacks of a guy being set up to fail to get in the favoured candidate with plenty of goodwill behind him. You cant fault Benitez for taking the job though, who would turn it down?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Ridiculous club. I hope the rest of their season is an unmitigated disaster. It's all their spoilt brat players and fans deserve.

Whatever about the players, some are fine some are ****, they have definitely got to be in with a great shout for worst fans in the world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement