Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa Benitez sacked

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Pighead wrote: »
    Generally yes but sometimes there is an air of inevitability about a managers position and there's no point in prolonging the agony. A bit like Roy Hodgson's time at Liverpool.

Oh dear at that, no way can you compare those two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    But what argument are you trying to win here? I've not seen anyone on this forum try and argue that Benitez is in the same bracket as Ferguson, Mourinho, Heynkes, etc.

Benitez is a good manager who has enjoyed a generally solid career. When you consider the amount of top level clubs around Europe and the World and all the managers who have passed through them during the past twenty years it isn't hard to see Benitez as in the 99th percentile in terms of success. The vast majority of managers fail at the vast majority of clubs without ever winning a top level honour.

I never said he wasn't a good manager. All I'm saying is that league wins at the top level are more a measure of a manager than cup wins.

He had that Liverpool team spanking some of the best Europe had to offer but could never manage domestic league success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

dogbert27 wrote: »
    It's a huge risk by Zidane to take this on. He is heavily invested in the club with his four sons all playing at under age level.

What will happen when eventually everything turns sour and he's given the same treatment as Del Bosque, Ancelotti and Benitez.

He was having a great time managing the B team with no expectations on him, all his kids involved in the club, hailed as an icon where ever he went.

He'll lose it all come the end of the season, unless his tactical planning is to tell the team do whatever ye like just don't complain about me to the press.

They'll probably be a bit more patient with him considering who he is but yeah most likely it will all end in tears. Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

They'll probably be a bit more patient with him considering who he is but yeah most likely it will all end in tears. Again.

I don't know. I see this like Giggs taking over from Moyes thinking he could do a better job.

To save face if it does go wrong is to say he's an interim solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I don't know. I see this like Giggs taking over from Moyes thinking he could do a better job.

To save face if it does go wrong is to say he's an interim solution.

Did somebody not say it was rumored to be a 3 year deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

This says it is a deal till mid 2018
    via google translate:

Zinedine Zidane may call himself officially the new coach of Real Madrid. The former top player has put his doodle Tuesday under a contract until the summer of 2018.

It says it in Dutch, but it does say it.
    Reliable site too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

inforfun wrote: »
    Gav got what i meant indeed. 3-0 behind at HT and still win the final is the freak part.

Get you now, sorry. Still think his CL record with Liverpool is undervalued by many, but his managerial record is somewhat of a mixed bag now - excellent with Valencia, outstanding with Liverpool in Europe and decent with them in the League with a bad final season, fairly disastrous stint at Inter considering he inherited a treble winning side, decent interim stint with Chelsea in difficult circumstances, underwhelming time at Napoli despite decent transfer investment and now a short spell with Real that will probably be harshly deemed a failure even though it wasn't bad by most standards.

Excluding mickey mouse trophies he has won 2 La Ligas, 1 CL, 2 UEFA Cup/Europa League, 1 FA Cup & 1 Coppa Italia. He's probably a level below the likes of Guardiola, Mourinho, Ancellotti due to lack of league titles in the last 10 years but, as others have said, he's still a very good manager and one of the top ones available.

Just read an article that he signed until the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

League wins are the bread and butter, CL wins will propel you to greatness on top of that but if you don't have the base of the domestic league success it won't count for as much. Ferguson is still considered to be in the running for GOAT even with only 2 wins in such a long career.

I'm not dismissing CL wins at all but Fergie's 2 CL wins came with a league win and one was a treble. Rafa's came with an unheard of 5th place finish in the league. A couple of league wins with Liverpool instead of his European successes, added to his time at Valencia would have made his career look a lot better for me.

Yea, agree with you entirely, the league is the bread and butter. I had thought you were dismissing cup runs to a far great extent than you are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Benitez is a good manager, but he shot himself in the foot by taking some of the jobs that he did. Inter, Real, Chelsea, he walked into all these jobs as nothing more than a coach with no say over recruitment, having to deal with internal politics and very often a poisonous dressing room. It was always going to be a no-win situation, even for a pro like Benitez.

I am just hoping that he has learned a lesson in all this and that his next role will be more of a project where he is given a fair crack at the whip.

• Advertisement

I wonder will United have any interest in signing him.

With the managerial merry go around I see Guardiola going to City, Mourinho going to PSG, Ancelotti is lined up for Munich. There's not much left for Benitez to go to.

He's done Italy twice. He's done the premier league twice.

He'll have to take a step back to Sevilla or maybe try his hand with Monaco or Lyon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Almost every single manager ends tenure "in tears".
    amazing post.

the fans would never be onside with it, and I can actually imagine open rebellion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

They gave Zidane a two and a half year contract. Anyone know the odds on him being gone within 12 months?

Almost every single manager ends tenure "in tears".

amazing post.

the fans would never be onside with it, and I can actually imagine open rebellion.

The fans weren't on board at Chelsea either.

If United lose out on Pep/Mou/Ancel etc. Tought to see who they'll get.

The fans weren't on board at Chelsea either.

If United lose out on Pep/Mou/Ancel etc. Tought to see who they'll get.

1000% not Benitez, anyway. For a host of reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Billy86 wrote: »
    They gave Zidane a two and a half year contract. Anyone know the odds on him being gone within 12 months?
    An early exit for the CL with a finish outside of the top 2 and he could be gone by the end of the year :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Can't understand people saying he was doing well.

Yes he beat the rubbish teams in thr league.

But he got hammered by barca 4-0

Couldn't beat valencia.

Managed over the mess which saw them get booted out of the cup.

Third in the league isn't near good enough for Real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea fans didnt want him, that would be amped up ten fold if he was to turn up at Old Trafford.

No chance of it happening IMO.

• Advertisement

I think i am higher on their list and after Van Gaal that is saying something considering i am also Dutch :D

inforfun wrote: »
    I think i am higher on their list and after Van Gaal that is saying something considering i am also Dutch :D

Ah they'll probably get Daglish or so something so lads :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Can't understand people saying he was doing well.

Yes he beat the rubbish teams in thr league.

But he got hammered by barca 4-0

Couldn't beat valencia.

Managed over the mess which saw them get booted out of the cup.

Third in the league isn't near good enough for Real.

The barca game was as clear as day as Perez picking the team, there's no way Rafa starts that game with a midfield 2 of Kroos and modric, 4 attackers and 2 extremely attacking full backs. That team was always gonna get done when the team was selected.

A draw away at the mastilla regardless of circumstances is hardly disastrous and the cheryshev fiasco had zilch to do with him, he was coaching in a different league when the original red card happened at the time, it was a laughable **** up behind the scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I would not mind Rafa

Just not a hope it will happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Pighead wrote: »
    Madrid are the biggest club in the world. Under Rafa's watch they lost 4-0 at home to their greatest rivals. He's had six months to close the gap on Barca but he's fallen further behind if anything.

A whole six months!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

rafafa.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Ardent

Don't think anyone else comes close. I watched them boo off their own team at half-time as they were winning 4-2 in a game they'd go onto win 10-2.

It's not just Madrid fans who do that. I was at the Nou Camp many moons ago when Barca got booed off at half time for only being 1-0 up against Levante or some such team (they went on to win 4-0).

Classless bunch supporting those two teams.

I know people say (and have a point in saying) that the Premiership and English football in general is pretty lopsided in terms of the 'haves' and the 'have nots' but Spain is beyond a joke - Atletico are doing well to try and break it, but simply don't have a hope long term. The entirety of football and the existence of every football club and body in that country is for a single purpose: to accommodate and prop up Barca and Madrid.

The TV deal in particular is a shambles, and when Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc follow suit (they will have to sooner rather than later) English football is going to go the same way. As a Utd fan, we would benefit more than any other club in the world from such a set up - but I still hate the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its the other way round, the Spanish teams are changing their TV model to what the English teams have in place.

AdamD wrote: »
    Its the other way round, the Spanish teams are changing their TV model to what the English teams have in place.

Hadn't heard that, and I bloody well hope so! But why/how would Madrid/Barca realistically agree to this?

I know people say (and have a point in saying) that the Premiership and English football in general is pretty lopsided in terms of the 'haves' and the 'have nots' but Spain is beyond a joke - Atletico are doing well to try and break it, but simply don't have a hope long term. The entirety of football and the existence of every football club and body in that country is for a single purpose: to accommodate and prop up Barca and Madrid.

The TV deal in particular is a shambles, and when Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc follow suit (they will have to sooner rather than later) English football is going to go the same way. As a Utd fan, we would benefit more than any other club in the world from such a set up - but I still hate the idea.

I think the gap is narrowing between the have's and have nots.

With the increase in TV revenue, the likes of Stoke, Palace, Southampton, West Ham, Everton etc have improved as they attract a higher calibre of player, the sort of player who would traditionally gone to a bigger foreign club. The likes of United, Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Liverpool etc are still shopping in the same bracket, as the the calibre of players that were previously out of their reach, continue to remain so, hence as the smaller clubs improve, the bigger stagnate and the gap narrows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Hadn't heard that, and I bloody well hope so! But why/how would Madrid/Barca realistically agree to this?

The other teams could just form their own league and breakaway without the Big 2

Here

Clubs had their own rights in the past, hence Barca and Real getting the big money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rafafa.jpg

He's always been a very classy individual, but - much like the departing statement from Moyes - the lack of a specific mention for the players is very telling.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He's always been a very classy individual, but - much like the departing statement from Moyes - the lack of a specific mention for the players is very telling.

He does mention the players, second last line. Or am I misinterpreting you?

Edit: see what you mean actually, first paragraph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

LiamoSail wrote: »
    He does mention the players, second last line. Or am I misinterpreting you?

Edit: see what you mean actually, first paragraph

He does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Since the turn of the century

Vicente del Bosque
    Carlos Queiroz
    José Antonio Camacho
    Mariano García Remón
    Vanderlei Luxemburgo
    Juan Ramón López Caro
    Fabio Capello
    Bernd Schuster
    Juande Ramos
    Manuel Pellegrini
    José Mourinho
    Carlo Ancelotti
    Rafael Benítez
    Zinedine Zidane

This reminded me of an article I read today

During Florentinos "reign" and since he took over Madrid has won 3 La Liga of 12 possible (2 of them with Vicente del Bosque), 2 Copas del Rey (of 12) and 2 champion leagues (1 again with Vicente del Bosque).

Funny enough Florentino didnt hire Vicente, he did sack him though despite the good results

Florentino, best thing ever happened to Barca fans

He does

Yea, on second read though I noticed he left them out when he mentions others, in the first paragraph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

rafafa.jpg

Serious amount of class right there.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Yea, on second read though I noticed he left them out when he mentions others, in the first paragraph

He wishes them luck but he doesn't thank them ;)

Advertisement