Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on build

Options
  • 04-01-2016 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I am doing first build in over ten years and a hell of a lot has changed in that time. I am looking for advice on my parts and if there is anything better for the same price.

My machine will be mostly used for gaming at high settings.

My parts are below.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Padair/saved/PPVNnQ

Max price around 1200 euros

Am I doing anything stupid with the parts.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Just before we run over those parts, you should note that as those are the US prices, they most likely don't include tax and the additional import taxes that you'll be hit with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Not sure the 980 is particularly good value - open to correction but I thought the 970 or 980ti was where it was at.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

980 is 10-12% stronger than a 970, not worth the premium.

Go 390 I reckon

Is there any need in the 6600k? Can save a lot of money with a Haswell build for no performance loss.

4460 or 4590k are more than enough for gaming, with a cheaper board

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

IMO shave the 6600K to the 6400, becuase you can still overclock the BCLK to match 4.4GHz (on an AIO but the Evo wil probably allow for 3.9GHz with reasonable temps and noise)
    Nice mobo IMO, with nice aesthetics. This is the one I'll be using.
    RAM is fine.

But as others have said; that's in Dollars, so I don't think you'll meet your budget. You'll most likely have to drop to the R9 390 and reduce that PSU to a Bronze certified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

padair wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am doing first build in over ten years and a hell of a lot has changed in that time. I am looking for advice on my parts and if there is anything better for the same price.

My machine will be mostly used for gaming at high settings.

My parts are below.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Padair/saved/PPVNnQ

Max price around 1200 euros

Am I doing anything stupid with the parts.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for all of the replies.
    I can get all of the parts on amazon. Co. UK for 850 pounds and can claim the vat back through brothers business

Can he do that cross country yeah? You'd get serious value that way.

Still doesn't mean you need a 980 or 6600k though :D I'd follow Eoins advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Can he do that cross country yeah? You'd get serious value that way.

Still doesn't mean you need a 980 or 6600k though :D I'd follow Eoins advice

Yeah, as long as it's amazon that is fulfilling the order and not a third party.

Cheers again for all of the advice. Gonna rework my build.

Cheers again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I noticed that ComputerUniverse (Germany based) correctly apply VAT based on the country you are ordering from. May be an option for ordering and claiming tax back? I don't really know much about claiming VAT back though :)

Advertisement