Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a Masters in UCD - How are references submitted?

Options
  • 04-01-2016 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just completed and submitted my application to do a Masters in UCD (in the School of Politics). I have a few questions:

1) There was basically nothing for me to fill in, apart from contact details. I'm already an undergraduate student in UCD so I guess they already have my transcripts, but I'm surprised I wasn't asked for a letter of motivation, writing sample, research proposal, statement of purpose...??

2) How do references work for UCD? I had to input the name of my referee (a professor in UCD) and she agreed to be my referee by email, but now I'm wondering if UCD will contact her directly for a reference, if I should ask her for a letter and drop it at the School of Politics' administrative office...what do?? I don't want to realise in three months that she never submitted anything and it's my fault because I didn't know what/ when to ask her!

3) Anyone heard of the School of Politics's Teaching Scholarship? Do you know how competitive it is? Me being able to do the Masters would basically depend on it so I'd love some tips to apply :)

Thank you!

Lucie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Derby Deasy

Hi Lucie

First of all, I think it's a positive thing that you've arranged a reference from an internal source, within UCD.

As for the mode of delivery of references, I don't think there is a strict rule.

When I was submitting my doctoral application, I had an internal referee, who submitted my reference without my having had sight of it. However, I know international graduates who received their references from their referees, and delivered the references to UCD in person.

Application requirements seem to vary hugely from school to school, or college to college as the case may be. I wouldn't stres about it at all. If they need more documentation, they'll ask.

That's easier said than done, so why not make a casual visit to your school office?

Best of luck with your application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DreamByDay

Hi Derby Deasy,

Thanks so much for your reply! In the end I received an offer just today, before I had a chance to contact the SPIRE and ask about the process (yay!). However now I'm faced with an (even worse?) problem: they want me to confirm the offer and pay a €500 deposit within 14 days! The problem is that I'm not sure of attending UCD in September. Indeed I need to know first if I would have the Teaching Scholarship (which I think I won't even be able to apply to until May!) due to being too broke for a Masters otherwise; and in addition, I have offers from other universities (UCL and LSE) that I'm considering and I'm waiting on funding decisions for these unis. Do you have any advice on how to deal with the situation?

Thanks again!

Lucie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I think the best thing would be to contact them and see if the 14-day period to accept your offer and paying the deposit is set in stone. Some departments don't expect it, as I think it's an Admission's policy and a general email that's sent out to all applicants who are successful in their application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DreamByDay

convert wrote: »
    I think the best thing would be to contact them and see if the 14-day period to accept your offer and paying the deposit is set in stone. Some departments don't expect it, as I think it's an Admission's policy and a general email that's sent out to all applicants who are successful in their application.

Good to know, thanks very much!! I mean I could ask my parents to help me out with the deposit but it feels wrong, knowing I'm not 100% sure I'll be attending UCD in September :/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Do you have your undergrad already? The 500 would be refundable.
    It also comes off your fees if you take the course. I know most places don't insist on the 500 until the student is sure they're taking the place. I'm 90% positive they can extend the 14 day deadline. Unless they've filled up all of the places which I doubt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement